Texas Hunting Forum

burned by the land owner

Posted By: Hooligan

burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 04:30 PM

Not much I can do since it's his land but I just got screwed. Had been doing work for a land owner in Nac all summer. The trade was that I would have access to hunt it through Jan. Just got a phone call that he decided he was gonna lease it to someone instead, but if I wanted to pony up more money than he was offered it would be mine... what a d bag, and my mistake for not having a contract

oh well I guess my APH will get some good use this season
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 04:43 PM

Yep, dirt bag that gives honest land owners a bad name.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 04:43 PM

That bites bro. Sorry to hear that.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 04:45 PM

Send him a bill for the work you performed. He'll probably laugh as he's walking toward the trash can, but, you never know.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 04:46 PM

Had it happen to me after 4 years of manageing. I feel your pain. mad
Posted By: TxTechsan

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 04:47 PM

How much work have you done for him and was any of it paid work?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Send him a bill for the work you performed. He'll probably laugh as he's walking toward the trash can, but, you never know.

x2

Seems like you might have to work at it, but if you ever did get it to go to small claims or something I bet you would win if you can support what you did.

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: TxTechsan

None was paid because of the deal we had and it was a co-workers dad so I didn't think I would need anything official, was counting on the handshake to be worth something (my mistake). I did a lot of fence work, tree clearing, just general maintenance and land improvement for him. A little over 5 months worth of work.

The thing that bugs me most is the guy is so beyond rich he doesn't need the couple thousand that he gonna get from leasing it.

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: Erathkid

x2

Seems like you might have to work at it, but if you ever did get it to go to small claims or something I bet you would win if you can support what you did.

Yeah I could start putting something together, just gotta decide if its worth the fight. One of those things that just disappoints more than anything. I would expect someone twice my age to have more integrity than that instead of just bowing to the all mighty dollar
Posted By: BenBob

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 05:00 PM

Send him a bill for your work.
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 05:04 PM

Sorry to hear this. Dont let it slide. Take the above advice.
The best you can; write down days, time and type of work done.
Hours spent, fuel cost. Add it to an honest payment value on your part. You might have to spend alittle money here. But, take it to an attorney, have him throw in some legal language. Send it resigerd mail to the landowner with 30 day response time for the Attorney. This doesnt rattle his cage. Dust off your suit and tie and see him in court.
Good-Luck.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 05:07 PM

Bill him 5 months of work will probably come out to more than he's getting for the lease.
Posted By: bpitcher

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 05:08 PM

A verbal contract in the state of Texas is binding.

http://www.gaddywells.com/TEXAS_CONTRACT_LAW.html
Posted By: txshntr

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Bittercreek
Hours spent, fuel cost. Add it to an honest payment value on your part. You might have to spend alittle money here. But, take it to an attorney, have him throw in some legal language. Send it resigerd mail to the landowner with 30 day response time for the Attorney. This doesnt rattle his cage. Dust off your suit and tie and see him in court.
Good-Luck.

This...Write it up, pay a small fee to a lawyer and send him a bill with the lawyers heading. Might not ever get anything from it, but I would dang sure try.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 05:14 PM

If he doesn't pay in hunting time or real money, take in after him with a lawyer. If you have any documentation and contact this website, you can come up with information to get after him. http://www.dol.gov/
You have rights also.
Posted By: boliverpete

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 05:17 PM

Keep us posted on the outcome
Posted By: rifleman

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Good-Luck.

This...Write it up, pay a small fee to a lawyer and send him a bill with the lawyers heading. Might not ever get anything from it, but I would dang sure try.

any chance for a last name of the person to figure out what you would be dealing with?
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 05:30 PM

post a small ad the the local news rag as to warn others about our
dealing with this lowlife! them see what happens!
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 05:40 PM

Good-Luck.

x2

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Good-Luck.

any chance for a last name of the person to figure out what you would be dealing with?

Thanks for the advice guys gonna go this route.

I think I'm gonna keep the name out of it for now since I'm gonna contact a lawyer. But I will let you guys know once something comes out

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 06:09 PM

Well, I know it's none of my people. Almost sounds like one of those things where it'll end up costing you what you might get out of it.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 07:27 PM

Small claims court cost is nominal. And don't be afraid of pizzing off co-worker, his dad certainly had NO PROBLEM selling you out.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 07:34 PM

I would beat the hell out of your co worker for turning you on to his dead beat dad!
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 07:48 PM

Do the court and attorney thing, but I'd give the co-worker a heads up - if they are a friend and its worth trying to keep a friendship. Otherwise, let 'em have both barrels.
Posted By: Russ79

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 08:12 PM

I live in Nacogdoches county. Who was the landowner.
Posted By: Dave B

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Hooligan
Originally Posted By: TxTechsan

None was paid because of the deal we had and it was a co-workers dad so I didn't think I would need anything official, was counting on the handshake to be worth something (my mistake). I did a lot of fence work, tree clearing, just general maintenance and land improvement for him. A little over 5 months worth of work.

The thing that bugs me most is the guy is so beyond rich he doesn't need the couple thousand that he gonna get from leasing it.

A handshake ain't worth carp in this day and age. All about the money and more money. Sorry for the misfortune dude.
Posted By: 007hunter

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 08:21 PM

Think small claims filing is in the $50 to $75 buck range so I am sure that pales in comparison to the amount of hours/materials/mileage that you are out.
Posted By: talkturkey

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 08:36 PM

As above, I would calculate all time/material/mileage, etc that you have (at this point) contributed to this individual, based on legitimate going rates/fees and send him an invoice, certified, return receipt, along w/a very polite request letter for payment within 30 days of receipt. At the end of the 30 days, I would send an intent to file letter certified/return receipt, within 2 weeks of receipt and if no reply again, I would then go to small claims court and file. The fact that you have attempted to resolve the conflict, prior to involving the courts, will weigh in your favor. But if you have the money to invest in an attorney, that would definitely be the best route probably.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 09:07 PM

I usually side with the landowners in these type of threads, but if things really played out as you described, that is a totally cowardly move and the landowner should absolutely make you whole.

Good luck.

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/11/12 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ79

That really is the most important info to be able to figure out who their circle of friends includes.
Posted By: mark in tx

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 01:10 AM

Talk to your co- worker, tell him what happened, if he just shrugs and doesn't offer to help in some way, then tell him you are going to send a bill for the work done. Give that a few days to see if the message gets through, then send that bill registered mail.
At least you can feel better about the lesson you just learned. Hell, even the illegal ranch workers make at least 50 dollars a day.
Posted By: donswin

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 01:18 AM

Depending on the type of work you did, you may be able to file a mechanics lien against his property.

It may not stick, but it will get his attention.

Rotten deal. Sorry it happened to you.
Posted By: predator-solutions

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 02:05 AM

I would be willing to guess he owns a saw mill on 59s? lick your wounds and go own. If its who I think it is with the initials LG. He had you from the start and he plays cards with the DA and Judges once a week. Sorry but he does this all the time.
Posted By: mystatic

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 02:24 AM

Man that blows! That's one reason I didn't mind leaving E.Tx...for all the good people around there, there's almost as much "brother-in-lawing" going on, which means good people get screwed over. I agree with everyone else; you at least owe it to yourself to speak with an attorney to find out what you can do to right the situation. Good luck!
Posted By: cajunautoxer

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 04:05 AM

Man hope you get something out of this

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 06:57 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: Russ79

That really is the most important info to be able to figure out who their circle of friends includes.

Sorry guys can't give out the name right now. Luckily my girl's uncle is a lawyer and I talked with him this evening. He's helping me get all the info inline I need but he said not to put the name out there. I told him I just had to vent because I was pissed.

My dad and I got drawn for a tpwd hunt next month so maybe thats karma helping me out.

And the co-worker is a girl so I can't beat her up, but did let me know and unfortunately her reaction made it seem like common place for him to act like this. Said he's a "have and have-nots kinda guy and takes advantage of the have-nots"
Posted By: majekman

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 11:19 AM

Do whatever....lawyer, small claims court, cert letter....just whatever to become a major PITA to this LO. With me it would be a matter of principle.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 11:51 AM

Hate to hear this Hooligan...but a tip of the hat to you for not outing him here.

That being said, once the case is over and done, I personally would let people around the area know as a warning to not do business with the fellow. And I must say that this is the reason to never do business without a binding contract, no matter who the individual is. The number of folks I trust to keep their word are very few...sadly
Posted By: Western

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 02:43 PM

Sorry guys can't give out the name right now. Luckily my girl's uncle is a lawyer and I talked with him this evening. He's helping me get all the info inline I need but he said not to put the name out there. I told him I just had to vent because I was pissed.

My dad and I got drawn for a tpwd hunt next month so maybe thats karma helping me out.

And the co-worker is a girl so I can't beat her up, but did let me know and unfortunately her reaction made it seem like common place for him to act like this. Said he's a "have and have-nots kinda guy and takes advantage of the have-nots"

Cant add to what the others have already said, but using the family lawyer is the right way to go, if for no other reason than what I highlighted in red.

I also think the best point to everyone, is "GET A CONTRACT", I commend you for having the courage to tell your story knowing you will likely take some "abuse", but these kind of shenanigans need to be put in the light.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 02:55 PM

If he's as rich as you say he probably lawyered-up so be prepared, well documented, have witnesses if possible and get a good lawyer.
Probably can't count on Jr. as a witness, tho!
Posted By: bowassin

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 04:02 PM

Put a labor lien on his property

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 04:05 PM

Lien will stick long enough to cause him a little trouble if he tries to sell

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 04:10 PM

there's a cpl attorneys around there I'd be concerned about if he does lawyer up.
Posted By: TX35

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 04:35 PM

Sorry to hear that! I do believe in, "What goes around, comes around!!" Just do everything above board, & know that no matter what, you'll always be a better man than he ever will!!

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 04:55 PM

I do the predator control for the big landowners here. There is 3-4 I wouldn't touch with A 10' pole. I be willing to bet its one of them. The one thing I learned early on is get a contract before anything is done. If they won't sign walk away!!! The ones you don't take can't bite you. Remember if you act like a begger to them you will be treated like a begger. Words to remember
Posted By: Cast

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 06:06 PM

Send him a detailed bill, give him 30 days to pay. When he doesn't pay, go to the county clerk and place a lien on his property for the amount of the bill, plus a reasonable service charge. My day job is at a title company. That will be a real problem for him when he sells the place, and he will then offer to pay you to release the lien.

Probably oughta talk with the co-worker first if he is a buddy, otherwise I wouldn't as he coulda been in on it.

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 06:37 PM

Guys it's all good advice on what to do and what a sorry pos he is dealing with. Now I'm gonna tell you how things work in Nacogdoches. You gonna go file a lein on him and pay a lawyer bout $1000 to do it cause the court house ain't gonna even talk to you about it. A lawyer gonna do 1 of 2 things he gonna tell you yes and take your money and in bout 6mo he gonna call you up and ask where is your contract and if you don't have one he gonna say nothing I can do. Or he will get it for you and you gotta pay $300 every 30 days to keep it going. That court house is nothing but a den of theives. Like I said before lick your wounds and don't forget this lesson in life. Dealing with rich folks is tuff cause most didn't get rich by working hard, they got that way by dead beating some poor shmuck that was in a bad way. Sorry this happend but let me save you time and money by giving you this advice from my Experiance with Leans in nacogdoches co.
Posted By: mikey1313

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 06:54 PM

It took a few long breathes to read those sentences, sorry to the OP. terrible thing to hear, hope everything works out in your favor
Posted By: HuntingJunkie

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 06:58 PM

Go the legal route and you'll likely be spending good money to chase dead money. Sucks that it happend, but the sooner you take it as a lesson learned, the sooner you can put it behind you and move on to bigger and better things. You did what's right and he did what's wrong - let karma take over from here. You'll ultimately be rewarded for doing what's right and he'll get his in the end......just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Hill Country Stalker

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
[quote=Hooligan]

This would have been great information if she would have said something before you made a deal with this jack-hole!!!
Posted By: Cast

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 07:35 PM

My coworker real estate lawyers tell me that you fill out the form, have it notarized, and hand it to the county clerk with a 15 buck check. Done deal. It's worth a try.
Posted By: shooterisone

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
Do the court and attorney thing, but I'd give the co-worker a heads up - if they are a friend and its worth trying to keep a friendship. Otherwise, let 'em have both barrels.

If your coworker and his father cared about friendship this would have not happened. Send bill if they don't pay take him to court.
Posted By: Naruto

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 07:46 PM

Put a mechanics lien on his property since you did work on that property. He'll never be able to sell it until he makes you whole.

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 09:43 PM

$13 to file a labor lien on a property
Posted By: txshntr

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 09:46 PM

Not as easy to make a $13 lien stick as it sounds...but worth filing one up

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/12/12 11:14 PM

I've done it before.... 2-3 yrs later they call you and want to know how much to release the lein because there trying to sell the property

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/13/12 06:20 AM

had dinner with my lawyer tonight, and worked out a game plan. He's my soon to be uncle-in-law so other than court/processing fees I just owe him a couple steak dinners with all the fixins. To teach me a lesson and prove the point he did draw up a contract and make me sign it that he would trade his services for 4 steak dinners with sides and no salad taking up room on his plates.

just hoping it goes easy and trying to not let it sour me on land owners. I know that this is like most of life and the jack holes you meet only represent a very small portion of the greater group.

I hope the guy sharts himself while driving to a meeting one day though
Posted By: target1911

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/13/12 07:09 AM

better yet......IN THE MEETING
Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/13/12 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: target1911

better yet......IN THE MEETING

Raging runs would be better than a simple shart.
Posted By: Clint1128

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/13/12 02:35 PM

Don't get me wrong when I say I feel you pain and where your coming from .but that's why it always better just to pay cash for a lease and be done with it .. I always hear about these good ole country boys who are broke and wanting to help on property with chores for hunting permission for the year . Have seen this happen a couple times were they get burned .. So that's why I just pay and that's that . And if some work like fixing fences and clearing trees or brush needs to be done , usually I just help for free .. Service trades sometimes don't end we'll
Posted By: Western

Re: burned by the land owner - 10/13/12 02:39 PM

had dinner with my lawyer tonight, and worked out a game plan. He's my soon to be uncle-in-law so other than court/processing fees I just owe him a couple steak dinners with all the fixins. To teach me a lesson and prove the point he did draw up a contract and make me sign it that he would trade his services for 4 steak dinners with sides and no salad taking up room on his plates.

just hoping it goes easy and trying to not let it sour me on land owners. I know that this is like most of life and the jack holes you meet only represent a very small portion of the greater group.

That gave me a "chuckle" and a pretty good contract. You should ask him if he would be available to other THF members, heck we'll throw him a Texas size BBQ for services rendered grin

As far as "you getting soured at landowners", don't let one part of this effect anymore than what it is, character comes in many shapes and colors and some folks (quite allot actually) go through this life, like they are the only thing that matters. I'd bet more landowners have been "screwed" by unscrupulous hunters, than the other way around. Keep the steaks on the grill until you get satisfaction.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum