Texas Hunting Forum

broadhead question

Posted By: txhunter1010

broadhead question - 09/28/12 03:35 PM

Ok, so i am thinking of getting some new broadheads.....whats ya'lls opinion in the following.......G5 fixed or mechanical,,,,Carbon Express, Fixed or mechanical, or Rage?
Posted By: Red_Breast

Re: broadhead question - 09/28/12 03:38 PM

Im going to use the Rage 3 blade this year. I hope they are not all hype because at $39.99 I can't afford many of them.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: broadhead question - 09/28/12 03:42 PM

I use rage for deer... Vpa 3 blade non vented is another great head
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: broadhead question - 09/28/12 03:42 PM

I shoot the G5 Montec CS on my compound. Mechanicals are fine if you're shooting a really fast bow, but I'm only pulling 55lbs because of my shoulder, so I'm sticking to a fixed blade that's really really sharp.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: broadhead question - 09/28/12 03:45 PM

what grain on the G5
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: broadhead question - 09/28/12 03:47 PM

I like the G5 montec fixed over the others you have listed. As far as mechanicals -- Grim Reapers. As for fixed, I'll also be taking 4 blade slick tricks in my quiver tomorrwow

Re: broadhead question - 09/28/12 03:48 PM

100. Make sure you use the same weight as your practice points. When I ordered the G5's, they came with a practice broadhead. Thought that was a nice touch on their part.
Posted By: RoofsandRacks

Re: broadhead question - 09/28/12 03:49 PM

GET THE CHEAP ONES! I have shot atleast 20 different types of broadheads and they all kill deer. Rages and Grim Reapers are expensive and work great but you would be very lucky to get more then one shot out of them...They usually result in either a broken head or broken arrow on deer I've shot with them. Last year i tried the cheap expandables (Meat Getters and some other brand I can't remember the name of) They were 12.99 a box instead of 39.99 and I had exact same results, no deer ran farther than 100 yards. A couple of the deer dropped right there with quartering heart to shoulder shots and then fell on top of my arrows and broke them. I have also used muzzy's and montecs and knock off generic cheap fixed blades and they all work.... Your broadhead doesnt matter your aim is what matters. We aren't out there making broadheads of out rocks, this is 2012, every broadhead on the market is deadly and sharp..... don't waste the extra money and you'll still knock em dead I promise.

My only real reccomendation would be to get broadheads that fly like your field point so you dont have to resite your bow in....so that would mean either expandables or smaller fixed blades, not the big jumbo elk cutters.

Re: broadhead question - 09/28/12 03:50 PM

BTW - I also carry a couple of hog arrows in my quiver. They're the cheapest arrows sporting the cheapest broadheads I can find at Wal Mart. Darn hogs ALWAYS break the shaft.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: broadhead question - 09/28/12 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: RoofsandRacks

My only real reccomendation would be to get broadheads that fly like your field point so you dont have to resite your bow in....so that would mean either expandables or smaller fixed blades, not the big jumbo elk cutters.
This!!!
And if you haven't shot your broadheads to match your field points, then you owe it to the animal to do so!!!
Like stated above, any broadhead will work. It's where you place it that matters.
I shoot Muzzy's MX3 because they fly like my field tips, they are tough and sharp, and I can get replacement blades for them.
But please, don't wait to find out how they fly on a animal.
Posted By: Scope_em&Smoke_em

Re: broadhead question - 09/28/12 11:36 PM

I have been shooting to Bloodrunner fixed/expandable... they fly as true to my field point than any I have ever shot and that my friend is what really matters!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum