Texas Hunting Forum

Compound or Crossbow?

Posted By: TXMachinist

Compound or Crossbow? - 09/18/12 09:15 PM

So, when I get back to deer hunting I want to start bow hunting. I am trying to decide whether to get a compound or a crossbow. Opinions? (UH OH)
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/18/12 09:20 PM

Very touchy subject, alot of compound bow hunters consider using a crossbow as cheating. Personally I only hunt with a compund bow. But I know there will come a day (Already have bouts of tendonitist) that I may not be able to pull a compund with enough draw weight to get the job done. At thet point I will most likely go to a crossbow. If your phyiscally able to pull a compound of at least 50 lbs of draw weight, I would probably give you a real hard time in my group of hunting friends. Might ask for your man card back and stuff like that.
Posted By: mwinter501

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/18/12 10:25 PM

I hunt with a compound bow, but there are many days I wish I had a cross bow. We can't shoot compounds out of any of our blinds, so it's rifle or nothing if you want to be out of the rain and cold. We will eventually build new blinds that will work for bow hunting, but for now its tripod only.
Posted By: panhandleslim

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/18/12 10:35 PM

Three shoulder surgeries,Im thankful we have an option of using crossbow or else i would be sitting at home for that month.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/18/12 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: TXMachinist
So, when I get back to deer hunting I want to start bow hunting. I am trying to decide whether to get a compound or a crossbow. Opinions? (UH OH)
A lot will depend on where you are huntin. If you hunt public, some places don't allow x-bow during archery season. If you hunt out of state, some don't allow x-bow in their archery season. If none of this matters, and you want to get started this season, x-bow will get you there quicker than the compound. And if you really want the thrill of taking a deer with a stick and string, then get a compound.
Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 12:51 AM

If your physically able then compound. To me a crossbow is a lot like shooting a deer with a handgun. It just isn't the same as with a compound. There are so many factors that you have to get right to make that perfect [censored] with a compound rather a crossbow. To me it's so much harder and that's why I love it!
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 01:16 AM

I shoot a very old (80's) PSE crossbow. It has a falling block trigger so it shoots like a rifle.
Most say its cheating, but I say, if it gets more people (rifle hunters) in the woods earlier in the season, great!
But, I shoot a vintage crossbow, so at least i am not as bad as those guys with $800 dual limb mega crossbows with scopes. I still have a challenge.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 01:53 AM

Already had shoulder surgery 11 years ago and looking at having to get both done in the next few years and approaching 60 years old. It’s either a crossbow or sit at home as I hunt an archery only area. Wish I could still pull a vertical bow.
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Old Rabbit
Already had shoulder surgery 11 years ago and looking at having to get both done in the next few years and approaching 60 years old. It’s either a crossbow or sit at home as I hunt an archery only area. Wish I could still pull a vertical bow.
We have two older gentlemen on my lease who both shoot crossbows, I am all for it and cheer them on. I am 42 and can draw a compound bow and hope too for a long long time, when it comes time to hang it up I will go to crossbow. But seeing someone physically able to draw compound and shoot it with reasonable confidence pull out a crossbow, instantly leaves a bad taste in my mouth aboiut that person. I know it is politically incorrect to be judgemental like that but that is just the way it is with me.
Posted By: nick_adams

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 03:26 AM

I think it just depends on what you want out of the experience.

Crossbows are going to be way easier to pick up and hit with, and are going to require a lot less dedication and practice.

If you want to get out during the early season and have a good chance to bag something, then dont hesitate to go with a crossbow.

If you enjoy archery and the whole package of lots of practice, a bigger challenge, and a more difficult skill to master, then go with a compound. If you want an even bigger challenge, go traditional and shoot a recurve or a long bow with fingers and no sights! smile
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 03:53 AM

It's funny to me some of the guys that say that a crossbow is "cheating" will pull out a rifle during the general season.

Shoot whatever you enjoy and are accurate with.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 04:36 AM

All the compound guys complaining about the crossbow guys really gets me. Most of the guys I hunt with have gone to traditional gear. They bitch about the compound guys the same as y'all are bitching about the crossbow. It's really all a matter of preference.

Crossbows are loud though. You may want to take that into consideration.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 01:08 PM

I wont shoot a crossbow because I shoot a compound. I also wont shoot a deer with a rifle. Ive killed my fair share of deer with a rifle and now all I want to do is bowhunt. It has to be down right miserable before I will get a gun and go sit in a box blind and then if I were to shoot a deer he would have to be a stud, like 160" or bigger. Im all for crossbows on people who are physically able to draw a compound but I dont like the idea of them being allowed in archery season for everyone. I think they should be allowed for people who need them and youth.
Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 01:11 PM

WHAT EVER GETS YOU BACK IN THE WOODS!!!!!!!
Posted By: TXMachinist

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 01:18 PM

Thanks for all of the input guys. It kind of confirmed what I was thinking, go with compound to get started. As for getting back in the woods, it is killing me not hunting right now. I am trying to wait until I can buy my own land (maybe next year).
Posted By: TxTechsan

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 01:29 PM

I don't care one way or the other if someone wants to shoot a crossbow or compound. To me it will be a compound until I can pull one back.

The only exception to my first statement here is that my 13yr old nephew wanted to get a crossbow to be able to hunt the early season. He has very limited experience and not a lot or parental involvement. Much more from me on hunting but I am 4 hrs away. I wanted him to get a compound bow because I think they area safer. Maybe I am wrong on that IDK??
Posted By: John Pitts

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 01:35 PM

I hunted archery with a compound for years before a series of injuries to my right shoulder resulted in 3 surgeries, and the permanent loss of my lateral right biceps tendon. I can no longer draw a compound bow without the possibility of my remaining bicep tendon snapping off, so I took up the crossbow. Compared to the compound, it is easier. When a deer is coming in, you get set up, and very little movement is necessary when the deer comes close enough to take a shot. The speed of the bolt makes for a flat trajectory, but drops like a stone past 40 yards, Crossbows are also much noisier than compounds. You can reload a compound quickly and quietly if necessary. Try that with a crossbow in a treestand!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
We have two older gentlemen on my lease who both shoot crossbows, I am all for it and cheer them on. I am 42 and can draw a compound bow and hope too for a long long time, when it comes time to hang it up I will go to crossbow. But seeing someone physically able to draw compound and shoot it with reasonable confidence pull out a crossbow, instantly leaves a bad taste in my mouth aboiut that person. I know it is politically incorrect to be judgemental like that but that is just the way it is with me.

Agree 100%
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 02:31 PM

Shoot both and find out what you are most comfortable with. In my opinion you're still using a sharp stick. I still hunt with an old PSE compound bow given to me years ago, and my younger brother well he is a little more andventurous and uses a longbow.
Posted By: Red D

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 02:35 PM

I think, use whatever you can shoot efficiently. Bow or crossbow - you still have to aim and hit target right. Otherwise you might never recover your game.
If you never shot a bow, or did it long time ago, go to archery club and practise for 2-3 days. Then check your shoulder. Mine shoulder joint started to hurt day after. Took month to get almost normal. Tried bow again. No bueno. It is crossbow for me. Even though I am able to pull 60-70 pound bow, it is just not worth it to hurt yourself into surgery.
Plus my hind quarters can stay in the relative comfort of a blind when hunting crossbow.
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy
Shoot whatever you enjoy and are accurate with.

Well stated.

BTW, I was glad to see this post didn't get ugly.
Posted By: Branden

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 06:13 PM

when you can use a scope to bow hunt that is not bow hunting to me, now if your not physicaly able to pull a bow then im all about a person using a crossbow. Crossbows are just as accurate as a rifle when you can use a scope, might aswell wait for rifle season. I wouldnt be as pleased to take an animal with a crossbow as I would with a compound.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Branden
when you can use a scope to bow hunt that is not bow hunting to me, now if your not physicaly able to pull a bow then im all about a person using a crossbow. Crossbows are just as accurate as a rifle when you can use a scope, might aswell wait for rifle season. I wouldnt be as pleased to take an animal with a crossbow as I would with a compound.
Branden you make a good point about the accuracy which is another reason I am glad I can use a crossbow. My trifocals make it hard to see my pins. I have tried numerous sights and gimmicks trying to find something that works. I started with a recurve then a compound but after 40+ years the crossbow is my only choice other than quitting.
Posted By: RoofsandRacks

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 11:15 PM

I think hunting with a crossbow would be just like a rifle and you don't get the huge adrenaline rush of drawing back on the animal with a crossbow like you do with a real bow. Sounds boring to me. Nothing like waiting for the moment that buck looks away and pulling that bow back.
Posted By: RoofsandRacks

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/19/12 11:16 PM

And crossbows are very loud and probably don't allow for follow up shots or multiple shots on pigs and such
Posted By: fsevin

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/20/12 01:42 AM

I've never bowhunted, but wanted to this year. Tore my rotator cuff (partial - avoiding surgery fr now) so I was looking for a crossbow when I came across the "Draw-loc". Found a used bow rigged with one, and its AWESOME. I will be bowhunting with a traditional compound bow, but use 1 foot and both arms to draw it. Check it out at www.drawloc.com.
Posted By: JWBIGBUCKHUNTER

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/20/12 02:29 PM

I am 34. I broke my shoulder last summer wake boarding. I wanted to bow hunt. So I broke down and bought a crossbow. I still thought it was tough. You still got to get them close. After 6 months of therapy and rehab I am back to the Hoyt. I haven't touched the crossbow since. Might pass it to the wife to get her interested in bow hunting. I think if gets you hunting who cares! Do what you got to do!
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/20/12 03:28 PM

If u can't break over a compound bow with a broke shoulder someone is going to want to take your man card.
Posted By: TexasWITETALE

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/20/12 03:46 PM

I love this debate and some of the closed minded opinions. Some people need to realize that their idea of a challenge and the reason they love the sport may be different than others.

I hunt in North East Texas and my "challenge" is actually seeing mature deer. I've hunted compound and cross bow and currently use a cross bow. I'm not going to give an excuse for this decision.

I say choose the weapon that gets you in the woods with the best chance to shoot and recover the game. For some this may be the compound, others it will be the cross bow. Good luck and have fun
Posted By: Chris/HOU

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/20/12 04:17 PM

They have the same effective range with the compound having an advantage of energy retained at distance.

Crossbow has the advantage of a scope option.

Compound has the advantage in the noise department.

Compound has the advantage in the load/reload dept.

Compounds are lighter and easier to handle.

Crossbow doesnt have to be drawn while the game is present.

Crossbows get more people in the woods.

Dont be an elitist. If you want to talk about challenge, get a longbow.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/20/12 04:45 PM

Working on a second shoulder surgery come November. Had to lower draw weight just to try to hunt this year. It will happen one day and even though it will hurt my pride to do it I may pick one up just to be there.
Posted By: DocJatTTU

Re: Compound or Crossbow? - 09/20/12 04:46 PM

use a compound bow. Sorry guys but it takes a little more stealth and skill. I have nothing against crossbow hunters and this is just my useless opinion so lets not get our undies bunched up please
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum