Texas Hunting Forum

Oats and Rye Grass, Planted Prior to Torential Rains

Posted By: LRS

Oats and Rye Grass, Planted Prior to Torential Rains - 09/17/12 07:17 PM

I planted 200 pounds of oats and 50 pounds of rye grass, 7 days ago. We have a small lease in east Texas, not far from Huntsville. Soil is sandy.
After broadcasting, I disced the oats and rye grass under, maybe 1/2 - 1 inch.
Starting about Wednesday, the rains came, rained like doomsday for about 2 days, then lightened up some but continued to rain another day or so.
I checked on it yesterday. It looks like most of the oat seeds were on top of the sand.
This is the first time I have ever planted oats, rye grass, or anything else for that matter.
Posted By: LRS

Re: Oats and Rye Grass, Planted Prior to Torential Rains - 09/17/12 07:23 PM

to continue:
Did the hard rain push the oat seeds up to the surface.
Now that the oat seeds are no longer under the soil, will they still grow?
I could not tell if the rye grass seeds are still there are not.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Oats and Rye Grass, Planted Prior to Torential Rains - 09/17/12 08:25 PM

They'll grow, give them about a week and they should be up. Ours came up over the weekend-(oats and Rye) you might have some areas where water pooled, there will be lots of rye grass popping up in those areas. I think you'll be ok.
Posted By: Western

Re: Oats and Rye Grass, Planted Prior to Torential Rains - 09/17/12 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
They'll grow, give them about a week and they should be up. Ours came up over the weekend-(oats and Rye) you might have some areas where water pooled, there will be lots of rye grass popping up in those areas. I think you'll be ok.

X's 2, you went deeper than I do, rye can almost be thrown on the ground and grow. Oats may be sketchy, but you will likely get enough that you dont notice, maybe a few bare areas and thick where the seed washed to.
Posted By: don k

Re: Oats and Rye Grass, Planted Prior to Torential Rains - 09/17/12 10:06 PM

I doubt if most if the oats has come to the top. Wait about a week and you will probably be amazed at how much has come up. good luck you timed it just right.
Posted By: pnh

Re: Oats and Rye Grass, Planted Prior to Torential Rains - 09/17/12 10:09 PM

I don't see a problem, just be patient. Most likely you'll be fine.
Posted By: mdcamp

Re: Oats and Rye Grass, Planted Prior to Torential Rains - 09/19/12 01:41 AM

they will be up in about a week, even the ones on top of the ground will root as long as the birds dont get them. I also planted oats, wheat, rye and winter peas right before the rains. I did not disc them in, just spread them and pulled a drag over them. I also have sandy soil and have done this for many years and am just up the road at Buffalo
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum