Texas Hunting Forum

Lampasas County Game Cam

Posted By: big10

Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/17/12 02:34 PM

Had cameras out for a week now and got a couple decent bucks hanging around. Now to decide if I will let an arrow fly in 2 weeks or let them walk. Keep in mind this is on an 1000 acre low fence lease with 7 other hunters that would probally shoot either of these bucks the minute they stepped out. Iv also been bow hunting for 4 years and still looking for my first bow buck. Wanting to be patient and make it the right one. I know the pics are not the best but it is the best I have right now. You can hold Ctrl and scroll your mouse wheel to zoom in more. Please give any opinions on age as well.

Thanks for looking

Option 1 - Typical 11 point

Option 2 - Main Frame 8 with kickers off both G2s

Posted By: jcarlson91

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/17/12 04:12 PM

I'd say the top buck is 4.5 and hard to tell on 2nd buck but also looks to be 4.5. Both nice bucks I like the kicker on the bottom one. Hard choice
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/17/12 06:55 PM

Not going to vote for one. Would shoot which ever one gave me the best / first chance. Either would be a good first buck with a bow IMO
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/17/12 06:58 PM

I vote back your camera up a few feet so you can get enough of a picture of a whole deer so you can actualy tell what your looking at up

Shoot whichever one you like you see first.
Posted By: Steve2010

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/17/12 07:01 PM

i think i would shoot the first one that gave me a chance at it.

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/17/12 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I vote back your camera up a few feet so you can get enough of a picture of a whole deer so you can actualy tell what your looking at up

Shoot whichever one you like you see first.

Id like to back the camera up but this is as far back as I can get it and keep it in the feedpen. Wana keep it in the pen so cows dont mess with it. I am going to tilt it down a little more next time to get a better view when the deers head is down eating and also block some of the bright sky out of the picture.
Posted By: Sir_Hellraiser

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/17/12 08:36 PM

Nice pics man
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/17/12 10:53 PM

Option one would walk atleast 2 more years, doesn't seem to have much mass. "Kickers' would be my target
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/17/12 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Steve2010
i think i would shoot the first one that gave me a chance at it.
Me too.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/18/12 01:24 AM

Shoot eithef
Posted By: DocJatTTU

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/18/12 02:49 AM

The top one looks like a decent buck but he looks a little undersized. It may be the angle. IDK I hunt for meat not the rack.
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/18/12 03:12 AM

First reposition your camera so it doesnt face the morning sun then shoot either for your first bow buck and rejoice! If both stepped out I would take kickers. Top buck would be monster next year of it survives but kicker has tons of character now.
Posted By: HarperDeer

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/18/12 03:22 AM

I vote kickers. 11 pt looks like a 3.5 y.o. and kickers looks at least 4.5 y.o. That 11 needs a couple of years to breed and mature. You'd rather have him breeding than the big 8 with kickers.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/18/12 12:21 PM

I like kickers, he has a unique rack imo

Good luck Jerry
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/18/12 01:40 PM

Whichever one shows it's self during the day.
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/19/12 01:24 AM

Never a bow kill...you cant help but shoot it!
As soon as you remove it from the property, another slightly less dominant buck will fill in where he left off.
If he is the king of the hill, take him out and let something else rule the roost.

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/19/12 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Classic Rocks
Never a bow kill...you cant help but shoot it!
As soon as you remove it from the property, another slightly less dominant buck will fill in where he left off.
If he is the king of the hill, take him out and let something else rule the roost.

I have had a few bow kills. Got a 2 years ago and several pigs each year. Last year I didn't even take a doe because I was holding out for one mature 10 i had been seeing for 3 years. Last game cam pic of him was end of January when I pulled the cameras. He should still be roaming this year but not pics of him yet. Should be a 6 year old.
Posted By: Hollow Point

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/19/12 04:16 AM

I would say the top buck is 3.5 at most.
Posted By: Brando-Commando

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/19/12 04:16 PM

I say let one rip!
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/20/12 09:37 PM

First bow buck will be a TROPHY reguarless of what you shoot.
Posted By: cole chambers

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/21/12 09:11 PM

Would shoot either one for a first bow buck.

By the way what part of Lampassas Co. you hunt?
Posted By: bentman

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 09/21/12 10:23 PM

nice

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/01/12 04:11 AM

Just got home from the lease. Was able to put a pig down Friday evening before the rain hit but wasn't able to get in a bow stand till Sunday morning. None of the bucks I was lookin for showed there face but I did pull a couple better pictures of the kickers buck off the cameras. Will see if I can get them posted sometime tomorow.

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/01/12 05:35 AM

I was wondering how you did, can't wait to see the new pics

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/01/12 12:29 PM

Hunting was no to bueno!! With a combination of the rain, full moon, strong winds, and acorns covering the ground, the deer had no reason to move during the day at all. Might have to wait 2-3 weeks till I head back and see if I can slime the redfin in the meantime.

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/01/12 05:27 PM

Heres the new pics. I noticed in some of these he has a small point on the end of his left main beam making him an 11.

Posted By: Dave B

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/01/12 06:04 PM

Great looking buck. Need to take that one down Jerry. Good luck getting him buddy.
Posted By: gdbuckslayer

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/01/12 08:21 PM

Those bucks look to be 3.5. I hunt Lampasas Co too and you will be shocked to see what they turn into at 5.5.More mass, more width, more points. Change sides of feed pen so camera faces north or south not east/west and it wont wash out pics. I would start looking for their dad or grandpa. Good luck!
Posted By: gdbuckslayer

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/01/12 08:26 PM

Just saw the new pics, that deer looks more 4.5. They get deeper in chest and fatter gut when they get a little older. Try to picture the difference in a fat, pot bellied angus bull with horns verses a steer with horns. You start to see a little sway in their back and the body size increases dramatically. Our place is low fence too, but manager will kick you off for shooting deer too young before they reach potential.

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/01/12 08:32 PM

Much better pictures Jerry, I hope you get the chance to stick it to him
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/01/12 09:23 PM

Nice looking buck, he's a shooter at our place.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/07/12 12:55 AM

I hunt in lampasas co as well, off of naruna rd, west of town. His genetics look similar to the deer we have on our place. Choot 'em.

Hey, what does "slime the redfin" mean.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/07/12 01:50 AM

Great looking buck. That kicker buck has been hung in a fence at one time. Both back legs are have scars on them. He also looks like a 5.5 to me. Hope you get him.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/07/12 01:55 AM

I'd shoot the first one that shows up. I've been holding off the last 4 years and haven't shot a buck.

I can pass on 8's all day long, it would be extremely difficult to pass on a 10, especially one with character such as split G2's and kickers.

I think the moment he steps out and you see him in person, you'll know if he's the one you want.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/07/12 03:00 AM

Either to set your benchmark for a bow

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/07/12 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: gacman

Hey, what does "slime the redfin" mean.

They be hitting some water to put some fish in his Redfin boat trout
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/07/12 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Great looking buck. That kicker buck has been hung in a fence at one time. Both back legs are have scars on them. He also looks like a 5.5 to me. Hope you get him.

Wow STX I have this deer at 3.5. What makes you say 5.5? Don't see it
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/07/12 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: 4Weight
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Wow STX I have this deer at 3.5. What makes you say 5.5? Don't see it

Looks like scarring between the shoulder blades and calluses on the knees. Old injury might have the body drawn down a bit.

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/08/12 12:23 PM

I also noticed his back legs and was curious what that might be from.
gacman, you hunt west of Lometa?
And TB, I did try to slime the redfin this weekend. Went to belton friday afternoon. Only caught 7 kittys. Once that front got close and they wind died down, so did the fishing.

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/21/12 07:44 PM

Just got home from the lease. More pictures but no dead deer. bang Still have pictures of both of these bucks and also the deer I was hunting last year is starting to show his face.
Anyone wana guess the age of this guy? Only picture I have of him this year.
Posted By: trogge

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/22/12 02:45 AM

You'll get em!

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/22/12 03:06 AM

good looking deer, sounds like your having a rough time between the feesh and your deer being cooperative smile

all my deer disappeared, hopefully they will be back next weekend

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/22/12 02:05 PM

Yes right now they have both been tough for me. Hopefully that will change soon. Only 1 weekend left before all the gun hunters get a shot at these deer.

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/31/12 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: big10
I also noticed his back legs and was curious what that might be from.
gacman, you hunt west of Lometa?
And TB, I did try to slime the redfin this weekend. Went to belton friday afternoon. Only caught 7 kittys. Once that front got close and they wind died down, so did the fishing.

I hunt west of lampasas. going up tomorrow.
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/31/12 04:39 PM

Nice buck!

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/31/12 05:18 PM

good luck Gene, I thought about making the trip Friday, but gotta work this weekend and didnt wanna just go for the day, especially with a full moon
Posted By: TRoberts

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 10/31/12 05:32 PM

Nice Buck!!

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam *updated with ground picture* - 11/10/12 11:02 AM

Got this picture last night. Justin and dad went to the lease yesterday and Justin got him yesterday just before dark.

And yes I am up at 5 am to go fishing. banana2
Posted By: Dave B

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam *updated with ground picture* - 11/10/12 11:55 AM

Nice buck Justin killed Jerry. Good luck today out on the lake.

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam *updated with ground picture* - 11/11/12 03:20 AM

Pretty good day on the lake today. Look here for more results.
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...o_new_PB#UNREAD

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 11/12/12 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: TreeBass
good luck Gene, I thought about making the trip Friday, but gotta work this weekend and didnt wanna just go for the day, especially with a full moon

Thanks Rick. With the rut on and the fool moon, I wished I had not gone up. Hunting was hard. I stalked a doe, which was fun. Shot her with my bow, and she was tagged. Must have been an escapee from a nearby high fence operation. I didn't see the tag until I ground checked her. I also shot a limit of ducks which was nice cause we are almost out of water. Our lake has about 5% surface area of what it was when you joined me. We won't have any water to hunt by the start of the second split.

We had a better weekend this past weekend, 3 turkey's, 3 deer, and 24 ducks in two hunts.
Posted By: DIME BOX DEER CAMP

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 11/12/12 06:53 AM

up rifle

Re: Lampasas County Game Cam - 11/12/12 07:10 PM

Had the deer scored this morning for the Venado Grande deer contest that Temple & Belton feed put on. Deer scored 136 1/8"
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum