Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone heard of this corn alternative?

Posted By: BCT

Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/15/12 12:33 AM

An East Texas company has developed a corn replacement for feeders...supposed to have more protein and more fat than corn, but at last year's corn prices. Being sold now. Anyone heard anything about it?
Posted By: Scope_em&Smoke_em

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/15/12 12:39 AM

Is it flex corn? If so it will swell and clog your broadcast feeders
Posted By: HunterCW

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/15/12 12:51 AM

yes we bought some and put it out yesterday will update on how they like it soon....it looks like a protein pellet

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/15/12 12:52 AM

Just found a story about it from the Lufkin TV station. The video says it was designed for high humidty...so I assume it won't clog.
Posted By: Scope_em&Smoke_em

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/15/12 12:57 AM

I hav used it here in west texas with very little humidity and it clogged up after 2 day. I'm just sayin. Hope you have better luck with it. On another note the deer love it. In fct they would come to it better than corn

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/15/12 01:05 AM

I just linked to it from my website. Is this the same stuff? Apparently it's been out only two weeks.

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/15/12 01:08 AM

http://www.ktre.com/story/19549277/texas-farm-products-markets-deer-corn-replacement

Sorry, here is the directo link.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/15/12 01:31 AM

Different than the "flex corn" mentioned above, but I guess only time will tell if it's good or a flop.

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/15/12 01:38 AM

I bought 20 bags of 50 pound corn for $7.50 about two months ago thinking it would go to $15. It's not that high yet, I don't think, but I'm glad i bought it early.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/15/12 01:59 AM

Cheapest I can find corn for is $9.75, if I found it for $7.50 I'd buy 3 pallets.
Posted By: RogueSamurai

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/15/12 04:35 AM

definately worth trying.
Posted By: gaharris

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/15/12 10:56 AM

We bought 60 bags of corn (50 lbs bags) last week from Bryant Grain in Aledo for $10.45 a bag. Best deal I can find for "clean" corn.
My experience so far with any pellet is that it will swell and plug a broadcast type feeder. Hell, sometimes it plugs a gravity feeder.
I am anxious to hear the results on this new pellet, it has less protein value and is a 40 lb bag. Equates to $8.99 for 50 lbs.
I really would like to see the flex corn if anyone has any info on it, web site link or such
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/15/12 01:13 PM

academy had several pallets of flex corn last time i was in there...$6.49/31.6lb bag

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_161823_-1?Ntt=Keyword+or+Item+flex+corn%23&Ntk=All
Posted By: BMD

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/15/12 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: gaharris
We bought 60 bags of corn (50 lbs bags) last week from Bryant Grain in Aledo for $10.45 a bag. Best deal I can find for "clean" corn.
My experience so far with any pellet is that it will swell and plug a broadcast type feeder. Hell, sometimes it plugs a gravity feeder.
I am anxious to hear the results on this new pellet, it has less protein value and is a 40 lb bag. Equates to $8.99 for 50 lbs.
I really would like to see the flex corn if anyone has any info on it, web site link or such

It swells from what I hear and will clog feeders
Posted By: gaharris

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/16/12 06:51 PM

I went to Academy last night and looked at their "flex corn", it was a small pellet. Smaller than a normal protein pellet but still looks like a protein pellet. I still worry it will swell and plug.
I am anxious to hear from anyone who has actually used it in a spin feeder. 40 lb bag of it was $7.49 which equates to $9.00 for 50 lbs
Posted By: Weldin Man

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/16/12 07:14 PM

I haven't but sounds neat
Posted By: LJ85

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/16/12 07:37 PM

I used the flex corn in 5 broadcast feeders last season all year long the deer hit the flex corn better than the feeders I had with just corn. Never had a problem with flex corn clogging at all. Only problem I had was when the acorns hit the ground and the deer quit hitting all the feeders.
Posted By: 7MM STW

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/16/12 08:36 PM

Never heard of it. . .
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/17/12 12:49 AM

Used one bag last year... didn't notice any difference. I think it's mainly to fill up the feeder as in using less corn, but around the same price per pound.
Posted By: target1911

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 09/17/12 06:38 AM

All of the Wal-Mart stores I've been to in ftw have 40* bags of corn for under $8.

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 01/27/13 05:47 PM

Anyone use this corn alternative last season? Just as good?
Posted By: n-all

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 01/27/13 08:54 PM

corn is 9.75-50lb bag and buck ration with 17% protien, roasted soy beans/corn mix is 10.75-50lb bag @ McKinney Feed..
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 01/27/13 10:47 PM

Anyone know what this stuff is called? Where to find it in North Texas? I would not mind giving it a try.

Used Flex-corn before and did not like it. It just piled up under the feeders.
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 01/28/13 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Anyone know what this stuff is called? Where to find it in North Texas? I would not mind giving it a try.

Used Flex-corn before and did not like it. It just piled up under the feeders.

X2
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 01/28/13 04:23 PM

Why would you want to feed something that is 7 or 8% protein when the natural browse/forbs have over 20% and some 30% in a couple weeks? Those fatty feeds are good when it is cold out and maybe a little when it is hot and other plants have died.
Posted By: chetterboy

Re: Anyone heard of this corn alternative? - 01/28/13 08:05 PM

Just FYI guys not trying to high jack the thread but Buccee's in wharton still has 50 lbs of cleaned corn bags for 8.99 a bag.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum