Texas Hunting Forum

I think the new pen is finished.

Posted By: gollygee

I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 12:01 AM

Overall view of my new pen:

Construction of pen, each panel is one 16' hog panel, 1 inch 16 ga. square tubing. The connectors with holes were to be staked into the ground, this has not been necessary. No hogs or cows in the pen and no obvious attempts so far:

Water station - left rear of pen. 330 gallon tote and an Attwood's pet water pan. Unseen are 3 bags of sand in the tire to act as a heat sink and anchor. The shade tarps may have been a bit of overkill. Deer are using about 100 gallons per month so far:

Tripod/feeder:

Camera:

Deer minerals (to the right of the water station):

[img]http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt44/jrmurry/Feederpen020.jpg[/img]
Posted By: BlackSnake

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 12:09 AM

This is reall bad azz! What do you have in the tote? Just water? And give me a little more info on it. I might like to set up something like that.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 12:18 AM

Great setup!
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 12:24 AM

Sweet, nice work.
Posted By: Western

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 12:28 AM

Very good job and well thought out. I dont think you could do better if it keeps out the right critters, nice.

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: BlackSnake
This is reall bad azz! What do you have in the tote? Just water? And give me a little more info on it. I might like to set up something like that.

I put 4 gallons of apple cider vinegar in it and filled with water. This is what my dad did with his water troughs to control the algae. It is raised 8 inches above ground level (2 4X4s high). Not sure I would do the shade tarps again (another $75 plus the frame). The whole deal was very cheap (compared to corn), about $125 total. The camera is a new world for me (only 2 days) and has not confirmed that the deer will use it with the vinegar in the water but I think it will be as good as roasted soy beans. I am 300 miles out so I can't get photos until after opening weekend. Can't hurt anything and is cheap after you have the pen.
Posted By: redseal

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 12:29 AM

I approve LOL nice job
Posted By: 30378

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 12:36 AM

Pen looks really great. The weak limk is the vynal hose on your water system. Small animals such as squirrels and coons or anything else thirsty will eat that hose in a heartbeat.
Posted By: BBD84

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 12:46 AM

looks great to me, just cover the hose with something and you should be good for years. what heigth are the panels i may have missed it but looks great.

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: 30378
Pen looks really great. The weak limk is the vynal hose on your water system. Small animals such as squirrels and coons or anything else thirsty will eat that hose in a heartbeat.

The hose is 3/4 inch braided stainless steel commercial dishwasher hose (a gift). If they eat that I will move up to a 416 Rigby.

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: BBD84
looks great to me, just cover the hose with something and you should be good for years. what heigth are the panels i may have missed it but looks great.

Regular hog panels - 35 inches or so.
Posted By: jcoutdoors

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 01:07 AM

Nice
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: gollygee
Originally Posted By: BBD84

Regular hog panels - 35 inches or so.

34"
Posted By: BBD84

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 02:45 AM

Ok thats what it looked like ut wasnt sure thanks and looks damn good.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 02:47 AM

love the camera stand. Nice work

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: 4Weight
love the camera stand. Nice work

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...to_#Post3382461
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 11:35 AM

That is one very nice setup. Great job.
Posted By: RHAAS90

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 08:40 PM

What are the dimensions on your pen?
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 09:23 PM

looks like a nice setup. I wonder how much water you loose to evaporation.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 09:51 PM

Great looking setup... It is obvious you put a lot of thought into it.
Good luck and kill a BIG one!!!
Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/06/12 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: notamtchance
That is one very nice setup. Great job.
Posted By: Cougarfoot

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/07/12 12:26 AM

paint your tank black and you wont have problems with algae. algae needs light to grow

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/07/12 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: RHAAS90
What are the dimensions on your pen?

32' X 48'

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/07/12 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Pope&Young
Great looking setup... It is obvious you put a lot of thought into it.
Good luck and kill a BIG one!!!

Thanks! It will be a big one or nothing.
Posted By: target1911

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/07/12 03:58 AM

WOW!!!!! THAT is a very nice set up. Keep us updated with pics of what shows up and GOOD HUNTING
Posted By: sportsman

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/07/12 02:36 PM

How do you keep your feeder from blowing in the wind without it being cranked all the way to the top? Or am I just not seeing the tie-down for it to keep from swinging?
Posted By: hectic

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/07/12 02:49 PM

nice set - up
Posted By: Wstxhunter

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/07/12 05:51 PM

Wow!!!!! Now that's a set up, alot of time and $ invested!!

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/09/12 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: sportsman
How do you keep your feeder from blowing in the wind without it being cranked all the way to the top? Or am I just not seeing the tie-down for it to keep from swinging?

I raised the feeder barrel before we left the lease and attached the tag line (look just above the camera) but the tripod is also staked down - it is just not obvious. I do not "bottom out" the barrel to the tripod - my barrel hangs level IF nothing is touching it. No problems with the wind.

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 09/09/12 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Wstxhunter
Wow!!!!! Now that's a set up, alot of time and $ invested!!

The pen is a real game changer and not as much $ as you might think. About $200 in the water station as it is but I doubt that I would do the shade tarps again (-$75). The panels were a little less than $50 each in materials. Subtract what the hog panels and "T" post would cost and that is about a $10 or $12 premium per panel plus you are not going to drive "T" post in that ground anyway. The camera mount was just stuff I had in the way around the shop. You are REAL right about the fabrication time but I like doing stuff like this anyway.

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 11/13/12 06:21 PM

It is working!

Scrapped the shade tarp and the tire (leveled the pan with a sand base). Will add another tripod/feeder and feed each once a day. No issues with cows or hogs.

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 11/13/12 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: gollygee
Originally Posted By: BlackSnake

I put 4 gallons of apple cider vinegar in it and filled with water. This is what my dad did with his water troughs to control the algae. It is raised 8 inches above ground level (2 4X4s high). Not sure I would do the shade tarps again (another $75 plus the frame). The whole deal was very cheap (compared to corn), about $125 total. The camera is a new world for me (only 2 days) and has not confirmed that the deer will use it with the vinegar in the water but I think it will be as good as roasted soy beans. I am 300 miles out so I can't get photos until after opening weekend. Can't hurt anything and is cheap after you have the pen.

The apple cider vinegar was a bad idea. Had to drain it and start over with fresh well water and everything worked great.
Posted By: wall8053

Re: I think the new pen is finished. - 11/13/12 10:11 PM

Very nice setup and congrats on the 1st buck outta there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum