Texas Hunting Forum

Blackbucks and Feed Pens

Posted By: Bill_OA

Blackbucks and Feed Pens - 07/21/12 03:53 PM

All the conversation about pens around feeders got me to thinking about our place in the Hill Country around Rocksprings. We have a booming population of Blackbuck that are starting to drive off the deer. We started with 1 male and 3 females 6 years ago. Now we have probably 15-20 of them. Hard to tell since they all look pretty much the same to me. I have been told that Blackbuck won't jump a fence unless they are seriously pressured. From what I have seen I think that is true. Do you guys think that putting some pens around our feeders would be a good thing in trying to reduce the blackbuck population? I know ultimately they won't just leave and that we will have to shoot them. Just trying to give the deer a better chance. Those blackbuck are pretty territorial and basically take over a feeder. I have seen them chase off mature axis bucks before.

Posted By: Garthman

Re: Blackbucks and Feed Pens - 07/21/12 04:52 PM

I don't have a clue, but I'll happily get rid of them for ya! grin

Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: Blackbucks and Feed Pens - 07/21/12 04:54 PM

You bet, cattle panels will keep the backbuck out. But, keeping the herd reduced, especially females, is your best bet.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Blackbucks and Feed Pens - 07/21/12 06:11 PM

34" hog panels will work well to keep blackbucks out. They reproduce twice per year so pops get out of hand quick. I started with 4 females and 1 male and after 5 yrs had 85 head in one pasture.

Posted By: Bill_OA

Re: Blackbucks and Feed Pens - 07/21/12 06:57 PM

We haven't started any population control yet, but plan to once the weather starts to cool off enough to want to deal with them. The meat is really good. I had to kill a male one afternoon that tried to dive through a fence and broke his neck on a fencepost. Some of the best meat I have had. I think next trip out will be time to put up some pens around a few feeders and get the blackbuck isolated to a few of them and start controlling population a bit. With all the cousins itching to shoot something out there I doubt we will have any trouble getting the "problem" back under control. Don't think we want them gone, just reduced to a lower number.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum