Texas Hunting Forum

Need help, feeder pen in rocky soil?

Posted By: Fltmedic

Need help, feeder pen in rocky soil? - 07/21/12 03:48 AM

I'm trying to get my feeder pen fixed, I had cows knock it down and flip my feeder. Only problem is I can't drive my t-post very far into the ground due to rock. Anyone have any suggestions/ideas? I have seen posts regarding deer blinds so hopefully someone has ideas for the feeder pen. Need to get the Deer back to the feeders.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Need help, feeder pen in rocky soil? - 07/21/12 03:55 AM

Use the search feature on here to look for some old threads from last year. Murph had a great idea he used to build pens on his lease in rocky soil. I have used the available trees to tie the panels to and then used a hammer drill and rebar instead tposts. You can also take and use sacrete and rocks to make you weight for the around the bottom of your post. I have also seen some where they bend a piece of cattle panel or concrete remesh into a small cylinder and then fill it with rocks to make a post to secure you panels to. Just make sure you make it big enough to keep all your corn inside the pens.

Posted By: TxAg

Re: Need help, feeder pen in rocky soil? - 07/21/12 04:00 AM

Driving rebar has worked well for us.

Re: Need help, feeder pen in rocky soil? - 07/21/12 04:08 AM

Thanks STX and TxAg.

Re: Need help, feeder pen in rocky soil? - 07/21/12 04:13 AM

Here is the link to Murphs pics.
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...fee#Post2245123

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Need help, feeder pen in rocky soil? - 07/21/12 04:22 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

That's a pretty good idea for rocky areas

Re: Need help, feeder pen in rocky soil? - 07/21/12 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

That's a pretty good idea for rocky areas

I have seen it done before on perimeter fencing in very rough and rocky country but never on feed pens till this post by Murph.

Re: Need help, feeder pen in rocky soil? - 07/21/12 04:25 AM

Sweet just found it as well, love this forum valuable info at your fingertips in secs. Thanks again!

Posted By: don k

Re: Need help, feeder pen in rocky soil? - 07/21/12 12:03 PM

Make it in a circle and plenty big. But if you have even 1 cow that is a corn or feed pen addict it doesn't matter what you do. She will destroy it getting to her addiction. I have found with those type put a couple of hot wires about the middle of the panels so when she pushes up against it she gets hit.

Posted By: gaharris

Re: Need help, feeder pen in rocky soil? - 07/21/12 12:22 PM

A friend of mine bought feeder pen panels that locked/hinged together forming a very solid free standing pen. It worked great in our very rocky terrian and keep the hogs and cattle out of the pen well.
You might look for something like that rather than buy traditional hog or cattle panels. Possibly search on Goggle

Posted By: passthru

Re: Need help, feeder pen in rocky soil? - 07/21/12 12:23 PM

dgilbert on here has a cool solution. See if he has some pics of his.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum