Texas Hunting Forum

Deer stand preferences

Posted By: kamolaw

Deer stand preferences - 02/29/12 03:29 PM

What type stand do yall prefer? I hunt multiple types depending on location, but my favorite is a tripod. Like hunting in the open, better observation options for me over box, ground, and ladder/leanups. Plus I have better placement options for tripod. What's THF hunters thoughts?

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Deer stand preferences - 02/29/12 03:39 PM

I like the fact that you can hear and see better from a tripod. However, I like the cover and comfort of a box blind. Some brush blinds can be quite good too.

Here's a brush blind that carved out of a clump of cedars. Many a deer, coyote and hog have been killed from this blind.

Pic taken from the above blind

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer stand preferences - 02/29/12 05:30 PM

I like a tripod as long as it is not damp or very windy weather. You can move it quickly once deer are located if you need to move it. Brush blinds are great if you are not in rattlesnake country. I like to take a piece of 47" net wire and put camo material on it to make a portable ground blind this round and very quick to set up and move. It is very lightweight and also makes a great rattling blind.

Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: Deer stand preferences - 02/29/12 08:49 PM

box, keeps me dry and warm...

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Deer stand preferences - 02/29/12 08:57 PM

I enjoy sitting in a tripod but I do most of my deer hunting from a elevated tower stand.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Deer stand preferences - 02/29/12 08:59 PM

I prefer to hunt out of a climber

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Deer stand preferences - 02/29/12 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
I like the fact that you can hear and see better from a tripod. However, I like the cover and comfort of a box blind. Some brush blinds can be quite good too.

Here's a brush blind that carved out of a clump of cedars. Many a deer, coyote and hog have been killed from this blind.

Pic taken from the above blind

Gota love a cedar!! they will help with sent control and have great background to keep from getting skylighted! The ones here get good size so they are my go to for hanging bow blinds

Posted By: Kingpin

Re: Deer stand preferences - 02/29/12 09:07 PM

I like hunting out of a tripod as long as the weather is tolerable. Hunted most of this year out of a warm box blind. I've also grown partial to pop-up blinds the last couple of years. They are warm, dry, easy to move around, and virtually invisible to deer if brushed in a bit.

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Deer stand preferences - 02/29/12 10:07 PM

Box blind (bigger the better), office chair and heater.

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Deer stand preferences - 02/29/12 11:00 PM

Depends what I am hunting, what I am hunting with and where I am hunting. Prefer to be in an open tree stand, but not practical in some places. Keep a couple ground blinds for miserable weather and hunt out of box blinds if I hunt with a rifle or my daughter.

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/01/12 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Depends what I am hunting, what I am hunting with and where I am hunting. Prefer to be in an open tree stand, but not practical in some places. Keep a couple ground blinds for miserable weather and hunt out of box blinds if I hunt with a rifle or my daughter.

X2

Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/01/12 03:19 AM

Double bull popup. Spread a couple of bags of cedar mulch in floor - makes it quiet, absorbs moisture, controls scent and repels ticks and Mosquitos.

Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/01/12 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY
Box blind (bigger the better), office chair and heater.

This ^^^^ is the way to go rifle hunting where there is some open space. Could only be better with sliding plexiglass windows to keep cold out.
I first started bowhunting from a tripod but without big yaupon or bushy cedars to hide them in they offer no concealment and I got busted drawing almost every time. Switched to a ground blind with shoot through mesh and I am seeing and killing far more deer. Took 6 years bowhunting for me to figure this out.

Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/01/12 02:08 PM

Use box blind & tripod but also have a couple of lightweight leaners. Majority of time is in box blind, but on the right days I like sitting in the tripod. Leaners are special occasions but they are not very comfortable for long sits!

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/01/12 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSnake
Double bull popup. Spread a couple of bags of cedar mulch in floor - makes it quiet, absorbs moisture, controls scent and repels ticks and Mosquitos.

Like the mulch idea and will try it out on my new stock panel blind I just put out is in mosquito infested ET, may keep the fireants off me too and help dilute my scent. Thanks for the input! Just hope the woodrats dont take up residence as that will bring the snakes. Will be interesting to see if it repels the red wasps also.

Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/01/12 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: kamolaw

Like the mulch idea and will try it out on my new stock panel blind I just put out is in mosquito infested ET, may keep the fireants off me too and help dilute my scent. Thanks for the input! Just hope the woodrats dont take up residence as that will bring the snakes. Will be interesting to see if it repels the red wasps also.

Man, that is tough hunting! I think I'd look for a lease elesewhere. Hahahaha

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/01/12 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Txhuntr2
Originally Posted By: kamolaw

Man, that is tough hunting! I think I'd look for a lease elesewhere. Hahahaha

That is ET hunting at its finest if you stay on the ground, early season prep on any stand is bring a can of wasp spray and snakecharmer. Usually mild weather until december dont help with the pest problems... and started hunting Hill country several years back currently have a lease outside of Fredericksburg, lot less pests and a lot more deer to see. I still hunt at home though...just not as much as I used to.

Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/01/12 08:40 PM

An old winnebago on telephone pole stilts 12' high. AC\Heater and refrigerator still work. Two front seats over the cab sleeper and working toilet\shower.

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/02/12 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
An old winnebago on telephone pole stilts 12' high. AC\Heater and refrigerator still work. Two front seats over the cab sleeper and working toilet\shower.

The dream stand...you are the man!!! You gotta post pics of that!

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/02/12 04:35 PM

I'll have to take some pics. I saw another one down the road from me that's an old Peterbuilt sleeper cab up on stilts. I see a light it once in a while.

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/02/12 06:13 PM

Would look cool on a t-shirt for a true redneck deer stand lol

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/02/12 06:26 PM

Do you think adding a hot tub is too much? lol

Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/02/12 08:07 PM

I like my Woodsie Grey Ghost's. It is a hang on style stand and worth every single penny. You can hang them from just about any angle tree. 360 degree swivel seat. I love them. I actually found one a lot cheaper on Sportmans Guide. I bought one to try out and see if it is as durable as a Woodsie.

So, I like to be 25' up in a big oak tree. If not, pop up it is for me.

Posted By: GLC

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/03/12 02:12 AM

Tripod for sure, I bow hunt mostly.

Posted By: sportsman

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/03/12 02:12 AM

All the above

Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/04/12 03:07 AM

A box blind that someone else built for free.

Posted By: warrington

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/05/12 04:31 AM

My new 4x 10' stand. 11' off the ground

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/05/12 02:23 PM

This....

http://www.huntingvt.com/articles/deer-stand.htm

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/05/12 02:26 PM

or this...

Posted By: Ron H

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/08/12 02:56 AM

We have three box blinds on the lease. We more mature hunters prefer the box blinds. I tried a tripod and I wasn't comfortable getting in it or out of it, regardless of the weather. We have a tree stand that is a lot more stable, I have used it several times, depending on the weather.

Posted By: mws

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/08/12 03:06 AM

Tree

Posted By: Ron H

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/08/12 03:17 AM

I don't think our landlord would let us build a stand nicer than the farm house. Especially, permanently attaching it to the land. The one with the hot tub is nice.

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/08/12 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Ron H
We have three box blinds on the lease. We more mature hunters prefer the box blinds. I tried a tripod and I wasn't comfortable getting in it or out of it, regardless of the weather. We have a tree stand that is a lot more stable, I have used it several times, depending on the weather.

I understand, am tripod fan for now, but foresee more ground/box blinds in my future, just hope I can find/purchase my own huntin haven when I retire and build a sky condo in the primo spot. May even have my burial plot right there under it or have em scatter my ashes from the elevated stand. Good to have dreams huh? smile

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/08/12 02:26 PM

The deer stand I mentioned is similar but this is the type vehicle on stilts. http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/1974/pdfs/74-MinnieWinnie-bro.pdf

Posted By: Medinabuck

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/08/12 02:31 PM

I hunt from both tripod and ground blinds. I prefer the tripod. Mine has a full cover. I also put in a shelf , a shooting rail at a perfect height for me, and a pee funnel attached to a garden hose. I have also used a small propane heater in it.

Posted By: Destry

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/08/12 04:21 PM

Summit Climber

Posted By: SATX

Re: Deer stand preferences - 03/08/12 05:48 PM

It depends on the weather. I love hunting out of a tripod, but when it's cold or wet, it's the box blind for me.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum