Texas Hunting Forum

Question - Deer in Falls County?

Posted By: OldChunkOfCoal

Question - Deer in Falls County? - 01/27/08 09:24 PM

We've got some old family land in Falls County. I've been hunting the hill country forever, but never really tried in Falls County. That area east of I-35 (the blackland prairie) has, for most of my life, been assumed to not have deer (or at least many deer). But I'm hearing more and more stories - on this site and elsewhere - of big deer being killed on the blackland prairie (presumably because they are not hunted and have a lot to eat and drink on the blackland).

What would you expect me to find if I started feeding in Falls County? Any deer? At least hogs?

FYI - this property is east of Marlin (towards Groesbeck) and is about 500 acres of mixed improved agricultural property and hardwoods/unimproved acreage around a year-round creek.

Any experience or thoughts is appreciated.

Thanks.

(This is a double post from the general hunting page, but I thought deer hunters might be more likely to see it here. Mods, do as you must.)

Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Question - Deer in Falls County? - 01/27/08 10:13 PM

I have been spending a little time on a ranch about 15 miles west of Marlin. We started out hog hunting it. Now after seeing the amount of deer that we saw, it will be a piece of property that we have in the bucket next year. Heard of several very nice deer killed around there tis past year.

Re: Question - Deer in Falls County? - 01/28/08 01:10 AM

Whereabouts, FoxTrot? Near Chilton? What's the topography/ag use on your place, if you don't mind me asking?

Re: Question - Deer in Falls County? - 01/30/08 01:46 PM

TTT - one more shot.

Any thoughts anyone has are greatly appreciated.

Posted By: jdickey

Re: Question - Deer in Falls County? - 01/31/08 02:21 PM

For the past several years, I have been hearing some "outstanding" reports around the Kosse area. This past season, a very nice 12 point was taken between Kosse and Bremmond area!

Re: Question - Deer in Falls County? - 01/31/08 05:55 PM

Thanks, jdickey. I had heard there were some decent deer over in that part of the county.

I guess the only way to really find out is to start feeding and see what happens.

Posted By: Chadillac

Re: Question - Deer in Falls County? - 08/27/12 03:01 PM

I am about to start hunting in Falls County and was wondering if you ever had any luck since your posts. I am one mile southeast of Marlin. Any comments will be halpful.

Thanks.
Posted By: basehitchamp

Re: Question - Deer in Falls County? - 11/06/12 01:28 AM

Did you ever have any luck in Falls County? I am looking at a lease out there right now.
Posted By: basehitchamp

Re: Question - Deer in Falls County? - 11/06/12 01:30 AM

Did you have any luck in Falls County? I am currently looking in that area.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum