Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting in Red River County - North of Clarksville

Posted By: El Lobo

Hunting in Red River County - North of Clarksville - 02/21/12 05:55 PM

I am curious how the deer hunting is in this area. How are the bucks in this region? From reading different threads, it seems that a 120 in Red River County would be a monster buck, although mid 150's is possible as well. So, anyone have any experience north of Clarksville?

Thanks in Advance for your Feedback.

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Hunting in Red River County - North of Clarksville - 02/21/12 06:39 PM

I have a buddy that owns a place up there and some years it is good and some not. When I hunted up there I only saw deer during the rut and when dogs were chasing them. His place is decent sized but not big. The main problem is a public road splits it. Now this road is dead end and gravel but still public. I suspect that there is a fair amount of poaching activity in that area.

Posted By: jskin

Re: Hunting in Red River County - North of Clarksville - 02/21/12 06:42 PM

Pockets of good deer, just depends what you are comparing it to. There's always a chance of a bruiser, but if you're looking specifically for wall hangers I would look elsewhere. If its the experience you're after, the woods and camping can be great. Historically hunted pretty hard through years.

Posted By: El Lobo

Re: Hunting in Red River County - North of Clarksville - 02/21/12 11:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Mainly looking for the experience with the kids.

Posted By: kamolaw

Re: Hunting in Red River County - North of Clarksville - 02/21/12 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: El Lobo
Thanks for the feedback. Mainly looking for the experience with the kids.

I have heard that the Eastern turkeys may be possible in that area but dont know anyone hunting that area, may want to talk to local game warden for better info, they ususally are very helpful. I would also check for TPW biologist for that area also. They have helped me out in the past. They will have area deer info.

Re: Hunting in Red River County - North of Clarksville - 02/22/12 06:38 PM

Turkeys are mainly along the river but my buddy has seen them just north of Clarksville.

Posted By: elliscountyhog

Re: Hunting in Red River County - North of Clarksville - 02/22/12 06:43 PM

The place we leased has some nice deer. Lots of deer as well. Best thing is if the price and situation is right for you then it may be worth a shot. Not sure on other parts of the county but yes there is turkey along the river i hope to bag one this year.

Posted By: tyem

Re: Hunting in Red River County - North of Clarksville - 02/22/12 09:04 PM

Well I can't speak about north of Clarksville but down on sulphur river we got plenty of deer and turkey the hogs have disappeared! Also as for poachers that must just be everywhere else!

Posted By: godfather

Re: Hunting in Red River County - North of Clarksville - 02/22/12 09:46 PM

Hunted North of Cville for a few years. Had some very nice deer on cam but they did not show very much durning season. Road hunting was a big problem around my place. I'd still be there if not for the road hunters.......

Posted By: tyem

Re: Hunting in Red River County - North of Clarksville - 02/22/12 10:02 PM

My best advise if you are worried about poachers is to become friends with your local neighbors that way they can help keep a eye out! Because if you piss them off they wont give a crap and they might even give you advise on deer movement!

Re: Hunting in Red River County - North of Clarksville - 02/24/12 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: tyem
Well I can't speak about north of Clarksville but down on sulphur river we got plenty of deer and turkey the hogs have disappeared! Also as for poachers that must just be everywhere else!

I know another guy that owns property on the Sulphur. He never has mentioned turkeys. I figured they would be there some day. He had good deer and was covered up in hogs. Since he moved to west Texas a couple years ago I do not talk to him much any more.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum