Texas Hunting Forum

groesbeck deer hunting.

Posted By: hunter3

groesbeck deer hunting. - 01/17/12 10:59 PM

might possible moving to the groesbeck area for work. looking at buying land there and was wondering what the hunting was like around the area.

Re: groesbeck deer hunting. - 01/18/12 02:36 PM

TTT any help here would be great....

Posted By: redmist220

Re: groesbeck deer hunting. - 01/18/12 02:40 PM

Good in some places around the lake . Hogs are plenty everywere , Just watch out for pochers

Posted By: Jpepper

Re: groesbeck deer hunting. - 01/18/12 03:53 PM

Not too sure about the hunting in the area but I go to a bay pen in Groesbeck to run my dogs now and then. A lot of doggers from what I was told?

Posted By: Z71Tx

Re: groesbeck deer hunting. - 01/18/12 04:46 PM

I hunted there for the last 3 years. It is a 1 buck county (1 buck & 1 spike). There is a lot of hunting pressure and you need to get your deer hunting business done within the first couple of weeks of the season.

If you are going to use a feeder you are going to need a feeder pen I guess. I tried to feed this year and only hogs came to my feeder. I was told the hogs and cows kept the deer off of the feeder. There were also a lot of acorns this year that kept the deer fed. You can look at my other posts and see the conversations.

There are TONS of hogs down there. I suggest shooting all of them. They are a nuisance. The rancher's place that I hunt on gets torn up on a regular basis and it costs him a lot of money. I think they disturb the deer also. I plan on going down in a couple of weeks and taking some more hogs out. I need an AR so I can shoot more than one in a pack.

I got deer the first two years. Youngish 8's that just barely passed AR's.

This year I tried for something older and bigger. I hunted more and later in the season and I saw a couple of older bucks but wasn't able to kill one. I think the AR's will have a positive effect on producing older bigger deer as time goes on, but it hasn't kicked in to full effect yet.

There is some good duck hunting down there later in the season. No Turkey/quail/dove to speak of.

Hope I helped you out. Shoot me a pm with contact info if you want to talk more.

Re: groesbeck deer hunting. - 01/18/12 07:17 PM

thanks for all the info my friends. Not looking for anything huge just looking at some land about 30 acres with a house and was wondering what the area was like. as far as pigs ill kill them all eat the small one and let the rest lay..

Posted By: JThoele

Re: groesbeck deer hunting. - 01/19/12 08:46 AM

I grew up there. Have done a lot of hunting in Limestone county. As has been mentioned, there are tons of hogs - maybe some of the best hog hunting in the state. For the most part mature bucks of notable quality are few and far between. Obviously, with the set bag limits it is not a place to harvest a quantity of deer either, though certain areas such as the Navasota bottoms and around Lake Limestone do hold a good number of deer. If you are looking for a trophy lease, you're probably going to be disapointed; however, you may be content with the amount of hogs and predators you can harvest on virtually any section of land within Limestone county. Duck and dove hunting can be fair to good depending on location as well.

Re: groesbeck deer hunting. - 01/19/12 12:39 PM

thanks for the info.. Me I am not so much a trophey hunter. I enjoy being in the woods. I will let one walk and just watch them more then I Will shoot them just to have meat in the freezer. Now the hogs on the other hand they all need to die.

I really am hoping and doing some serious praying that I get a chance at this job and have the opertunity to move out there.

Posted By: Mberet

Re: groesbeck deer hunting. - 01/19/12 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: JThoele
I grew up there. Have done a lot of hunting in Limestone county. As has been mentioned, there are tons of hogs - maybe some of the best hog hunting in the state. For the most part mature bucks of notable quality are few and far between. Obviously, with the set bag limits it is not a place to harvest a quantity of deer either, though certain areas such as the Navasota bottoms and around Lake Limestone do hold a good number of deer. If you are looking for a trophy lease, you're probably going to be disapointed; however, you may be content with the amount of hogs and predators you can harvest on virtually any section of land within Limestone county. Duck and dove hunting can be fair to good depending on location as well.

X2 I also grew up in that area and did lots of hunting.

Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: groesbeck deer hunting. - 01/19/12 05:41 PM

i can say too, that what i have seen and experienced, if you do see a mature buck, he is gonna be a GOOD one

Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: groesbeck deer hunting. - 01/19/12 06:02 PM

I'm not from the area, but I see it on T.V. all the time. Watch "Pigman, The Series" and you can see it. Great show by the way.

Posted By: The_Pig_Man

Re: groesbeck deer hunting. - 03/31/12 06:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Captain Luke
I'm not from the area, but I see it on T.V. all the time. Watch "Pigman, The Series" and you can see it. Great show by the way.

Thanks buddy. - Pig

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum