Texas Hunting Forum

OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season

Posted By: IBFishing

OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 02:43 AM

I seen photo's and read about all the nice bucks taken I guess its time to turn the table for the rest of the hunters.I got on a small lease by myself the second weekend of gun season. Set up a feeder and had immediate action(doe,Spike) havent seen a shooter(AR)buck since. I have been every weekend since. Same does everytime nothing else. YOUNG COUNTY i. EXPECTED AT LEAST SMALL BUCKS. Theres a legal broke off 7 pt on camera at nite but thats the most of it. Well still hope going again Sat nite.

Posted By: redhunter

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 02:48 AM

I got nothing, zilch, zero, nada, didn't even see a buck. Merry Christmas everyone

Posted By: hawk

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 02:51 AM

I haven't shot one yet. I've seen lots of young bucks, just not any older bucks. I'm going out again in the morning to give it a try again!

Posted By: longhorn3454

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 02:54 AM

I've been hunting twice as much this year as I have any other year and have nothing to show for it. I hunt both Kimble and Harrison county. My Harrison county lease, (10 min from my door to stand) I have seen about 6 different bucks with 4 being legal shooters but not what I'm looking for. And have had absolutly nothing show up at my Kimble lease, which is suppose to be that hill country full of deer lease. O well, I've got one more hunt here at home on Friday and then spending the last weekend of regular season and 3 days during doe/spike week in Kimble county. My last two years the last weekend is when the out of nowhere shooter buck has show up. Heck lets make it 3 in a row.

Posted By: grout-scout

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 02:55 AM

Well don't feel bad I have 696 acres, fed corn & protein all year (chachinggggg$$$$) and have yet to see a mature buck. But I did see a 1 1/2 year old 5 point that somebody shot the top of his shoulder out. Makes me pizzed when there are so many does and people will shoot a little buck over a doe. (No ar's here but I wish there were). Good luck

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 03:02 AM

Im not loseing faith, hopeing next Season will be better. There are shots every weekend next door. just never seen any rut activity with 4-5 doe's at the feeder every time with no sighn of rut.

Posted By: longhorn3454

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 03:03 AM

grout-scout you sound like me. We don't have ar's in Kimble county and every year I hope that that law would make it out to us. I know alot of people don't beleive in it but it's hard when you walk into the processor and see 1-3 year old 6 and 8 points hanging in the freezers.

Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 03:13 AM

Im hunting public land this year and it's archery only.
missed a doe second week of october.
saw a couple of huge buck's !140's and 150's just not in bow range.
We see deer dang neer every time We go out.
Shot a doe Dec 10th and hit her in the shoulder but never found her.
Had hog's come in 3ft form My stand but a Willow branch was between us. They Ran off !
I am NOT GIVING UP ! Will hunt to the last Mminute of the season.

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 03:16 AM

Im hunting every minute of every weekend, until the end. Hope something changes.

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 03:21 AM

Look at the bright side!

At least you don't have to spent several Benjamins over at the Taxidermist!

Posted By: twinbubba

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 03:36 AM

This season, on a new lease, I have shot a nice sized doe, a 145 lb hog and had my crosshairs on an 11 pt buck but he spooked before I could put the smack down on him. All in all I think I had a good season, I have meat in the freezer and the buck may be a 14 pt next year if the neighbors didn't get him.

Posted By: psycho0819

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 04:06 AM

Haven't kilt a deer yet this year. Not because I couldn't, just haven't seen anything I WANTED to shoot yet. Still one more weekend on the books to try and close the deal.

Posted By: PWT

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 04:07 AM

The only AR legal buck I saw was 1.5yr spike that I let walk, also let a small doe walk on "doe weekend". No sign of pigs since sept-oct pics...STRIKE THREE-I'M OUT Between the wifes new work schedule and my 4mo old baby, I didn't hunt as much as I'd liked to, but I learned a few new things about my place, so Im already game planning for next year!

Posted By: possom813

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 04:08 AM

I got a doe opening morning and that's been it. I've got one more Lamps permit and haven't even caught a buck on a camera this year.

The only deer(as in one)coming to the feeder is a fawn that I believe belonged to the opening day doe, but was no where around when I took the doe, or she would have gotten a pass.

Posted By: donswin

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 04:08 AM

My camera has seen a couple of nice ones feeding late at night. My eyes have only seen does.

Good excuse to keep going out.

Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 04:11 AM

No buck here. Saw a 10 and a possible 12 pointer in the old game cam, so I have 5 days to get one.

Posted By: chettiger

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 04:59 AM

I haven't seen a single buck, legal or otherwise. I've seen three does and was able to take one.

Posted By: clharr

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 05:01 AM

Unless I get one tomorrow this will be my second year without a buck. I have seen young ones, up and commers and have some good ones on cam. Just havent seen a real shooter in person yet.

The brightside is I put one of my friends on his second deer ever this evening. Walking him through the dressing procedure was fun, realizing that my knives are in the truck that I totaled two weeks ago wasn't. bang

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 05:11 AM

Passed on some early.... wont pass on them again.

Posted By: TxAg

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 05:16 AM

I've seen lots of bucks; they're all 3.5 or younger. The mature bucks have gone underground so far this season. That's ok, with the drought most get a pass this tear anyway. But dang I'd like to get that big Cull 5 pt!

Posted By: diamond10x

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 06:18 AM

well i havent been able to hunt at all so far because of school and baseball but ill definitely kill 2 bucks next week for sure cause ill be out all week hunting with the ol stick and string

Posted By: Espy

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 10:19 AM

Have seen 8 or 9 different bucks.I havent shot anything yet(by choice) but my son and daughter both have gotten one.

Posted By: passthru

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 12:14 PM

Got some decent ones coming in but usually when I'm not there. Haven't hunted like I usually do. Family commitments. Had a nice 9 that was AR legal come in for 20 minutes or so the other day. Too young though so I let him go. Plenty of future draft choices in the herd just hoping I will be there to see them next year.

Posted By: JWP58

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 12:53 PM

Me! But i've only been out twice, and i've seen a few (one nice 8 point) but it was too early in the season. My timing always sucks anyway.

Posted By: matt117

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 01:47 PM

I took a spike and have watched about 10 other young bucks but no shooters. I didn't even see a doe until last weekend and then saw four. I am a klittle concerned about taking a doe in muzzle loader since I havent seen many now.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 02:19 PM

Have seen a ton of bucks, mostly young with some being very promising.

Have seen 2 or 3 shooters, but none of them were anywhere I could take a shot.

Going out next Friday for 1 last go at it. Not going to be overly disappointed if I don't get something though - I took a great buck last year.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 02:28 PM

Im still in the market....let my brother have the best spot this year...and iv only hunted a handful of times...prolly shouldnt hav passed on that so so buck openin mornin ha

Posted By: BowHuntinTX

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 02:31 PM

Haven't shot a buck yet... Probably will shoot one tomorrow.

I've got three does in the freezer, so I'm not that worried about meat. Gotta be the right buck...

Posted By: MikeBillington

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 02:40 PM

All the deer processor we talked to and heard about are roughly 50% down from last year which was not a good year to begin with. Our business has never been that slow as it has this season. Our clients are just not getting the deer this year. See a lot of bobcats, a few pigs and exotics come through the door, but very few deer. Hoping for things to rev up with South TX going now. Not giving up hope yet. hammer

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 02:42 PM

This has been the wierdest season ever. No rut to speak of unless it is late this year. I found a fresh rub this week and the recent rains allowed me to find some good track. Seems like the big uns are in the thick brush. Plenty of forbs and greens so they arn't visiting feeders.

Gotta hunt them like Davey crockett this year for sure.

Posted By: sprigsss

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 03:00 PM

In Fisher county, have not seen the first doe from the stand, have only seen the same 5 deer all year: a spike, 2 4 pointers, 1 young six, and 1 old mature six.

I have pictures of a 10 that comes in every single night, but only have daytime pictures of him 3 times. But he's been there everynight since late September when I put out the camera.

I will not be sitting int he stand this weekend, but about 400 yards away overlooking a 200 yard rightofway that is loaded with trails and scrapes. Hopefully I can intercept him slowly making his way to the feeder.

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 03:19 PM

I haven't seen a shooter... one with 11" spread and a couple of spikes, maybe 10 different does.

So for me it's one 120 lb hog so far.

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 03:26 PM

I've got 3 leases - 2 small ones and a big one - haven't seen a bonafide shooter since August. Saw one maybe shooter last week at a long distance, but blew the stalk and spooked him. Haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet....but its still been a great season. I've hunted every weekend since Oct 1 except one.

Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 03:30 PM

eek2 confused2 hammer

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 03:35 PM

Maybe I should clarify. The 2 small leases are in an AR county (Coryell) and I've seen a few legal bucks, but I only trophy hunt and haven't seen anything that qualifies. The big lease is in West Texas with no AR's and I've seen 20 or so different bucks, just nothing over 3 years old.

Posted By: KennyLee

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 03:37 PM

I did shoot my biggest buck ever, but it was on a buddy's place.

On my place, I haven't seen a legal buck on camera or on the hoof. Five years ago, prior to AR's, I would see what would now be a legal buck just about every time out.

Today, I still see bucks, some mature, but all are 13 inches or under. Saw one old guy (7.5+ as I've seen him for years)that would easily score in the high 130's, but is way to close to 13 inches to pull the trigger.

AR's may work in some parts of the state, but they're quickly killing my motivation to hunt land that has been in my family for over 150 years. Something very wrong about having to make that statement.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Well don't feel bad I have 696 acres, fed corn & protein all year (chachinggggg$$$$) and have yet to see a mature buck. But I did see a 1 1/2 year old 5 point that somebody shot the top of his shoulder out. Makes me pizzed when there are so many does and people will shoot a little buck over a doe. (No ar's here but I wish there were). Good luck

sounds like you need a prescription for a high fence my friend!

Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 04:05 PM

Nothing here. Let my Dad and daughter sit on the stand I had been feeding at all year on opening wekeend. They shot a nice 8 and a doe. I have hunted at least one day every weekend since and had not seen anything until this week. I have groups of up to seven doe coming in again. Hoping at least one is unbred and will have a buck chasing before the end of the season.

Posted By: Mfloski

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 04:18 PM

seen small bucks but none worth shooting yet...not giving up, headed for a week of hunting next week...fingers crossed. good luck to all!

Posted By: grout-scout

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

sounds like you need a prescription for a high fence my friend!

Ohh yes sir I do! Badly! I don't even want to fence the whole thing just the back side where one of "those" hunters hunt. You know the kind that sit on the fence line waiting for anything with horns to walk by bang It's not the money part that scares me, it's the 1 mile of solid rock that we'd have to hammer drill out. scared Any other side of our property would be no trouble but this side is a nightmare.

Posted By: krazy kris

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 05:59 PM

Parker county, this is my first year to deer hunt and I have seen a few does and a small buck. But on the game camera there are a few nice 8's and 1 huge 7 but they are always out at night

Posted By: Bluegoose

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 07:01 PM

I haven't shot a deer at all

Posted By: txwhite3

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/23/11 10:23 PM

Hunting Clay county. Ever since they went to 5 deer and ar's the numbers and quality have gone to hell.Have not seen one legal buck all year.

Posted By: Letsgo

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/24/11 04:44 AM

I have not shot a buck over the last two years. I have seen at least one that would meet AR requirements everytime I have been out but I have a rule if it is not better than my best then no reason to pull the trigger - don't understand why anyone would want to. Does are everywhere if you just want the meat.

I consider every hunt a success as it puts me outdoors and out of the day/day grind - watching a sunrise or sunset while in a blind is all I need.

After reading through this thread it seems everyone must take a buck in order to consider the season a success - guess this is the exact reason AR's were pushed so hard by landowners.

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/24/11 02:47 PM

Erath cty- 560 acres 1 10 pt my Son killed,I've seen 9 bucks so far,nothing that interests me.Dickens cty-10,000 acres,lots of deer,nothing older than 3.5 YO. Comal cty- Haven't seen a shooter,yet.This may change over the Xmas holidays.Just remember,the THRILL is in the hunt.Once you shoot one you have to get your hands dirty.We can't have that now ,can we. confused2

Posted By: mark in tx

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/24/11 04:36 PM

I have three bucks coming in all the time, but not AR legal. I have seen 1 very nice 10 point that is legal, but never on my side of the fence. Couple of days ago a buddy had a chance at the 10 point but he dropped his rifle and broke the damn thing. Also have a little fork horn paying occasional visits.

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/24/11 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: mark in tx
I have three bucks coming in all the time, but not AR legal. I have seen 1 very nice 10 point that is legal, but never on my side of the fence. Couple of days ago a buddy had a chance at the 10 point but he dropped his rifle and broke the damn thing. Also have a little fork horn paying occasional visits.
I hate when I drop my rifle and break it...Criminy.

Posted By: KennyLee

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/24/11 08:24 PM

Did see my first legal buck of the season this morning. Was bedded with a doe as I was driving out. Young 10 point, maybe 13-14' wide, but had some good tines. Couldn't have been over 2.5 years old.

Sure hope he makes it another 2-3 years!

Posted By: LifetimeLadyHunter

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/25/11 05:38 AM

I haven't hunted as much this year. Although I have seen quite a number of bucks, I haven't seen any I want to shoot. We do have a nice 8 point that we are watching grow up.

The two biggest 10 points ever were shot last year (one by me), so I suspect it will be 3-4 years before we see any more deer of that caliber. I don't usually shoot a buck but every two years or so. We have a doe for the freezer.

Posted By: sandman05

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 12/25/11 05:41 AM

I hope to take my buck this week

Posted By: budiceale

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/24/12 02:28 AM

i knew an old timer who, when asked how his hunting luck had been, would reply, "well, i got real lucky and didn't get anything!":-)
Posted By: browland1980

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/24/12 03:42 AM

Haven't had a shot at a buck yet seen one down the road from my place
Posted By: gunnut81

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/24/12 01:35 PM

I haven't seen anything but a spike and a few does and an 8 year old took the spike for his 1st deer yesterday, we've got pics we know there here but due to the acorns,rut and lack of does I haven't seen much in person this year.

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/24/12 02:41 PM

I got my buck early. Acorns have put the deer in shut down mode. Our creek has dried up, hogs have moved out. Oats are dried out. We haven't seen rain in over 2 months. It's getting desperate south of I-20.
Posted By: rtp

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/24/12 03:28 PM

I havent shot yet but I have seen numerous bucks. Been putting others on them.
Posted By: ditchdigger2

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/24/12 03:31 PM

Haven't shot anything but seen a few bucks, nothing very good though
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/24/12 04:18 PM

Why are y'all acting like its over? Heck, it doesn't even get good till December.

I haven't been seeing the number of quality bucks in used to, but I Blame poor fawn crops in years past
Posted By: HoosierDaddy3

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/24/12 04:21 PM

Bucks" I'd just be happy to see a doe again...been nothing for days.
Posted By: s8nEXlilhlpr

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/24/12 09:23 PM

Haven't seen squat in the stand yet. Couple does on the roads while driving of course though.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/24/12 09:24 PM

Haven't even been hunting this season.
Posted By: swmays

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/24/12 10:07 PM

Nada...
Posted By: clharr

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/24/12 10:48 PM

I've seen more bucks this year than I have the past two years but have seen less deer overall.
Posted By: Bill_OA

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/24/12 11:31 PM

Why are y'all acting like its over? Heck, it doesn't even get good till December.

I haven't been seeing the number of quality bucks in used to, but I Blame poor fawn crops in years past

Probably because this thread originated at the end of last season.
Posted By: Emil

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/24/12 11:53 PM

Very slow, to many acorns
Posted By: Tatsun

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/25/12 12:17 AM

Probably because this thread originated at the end of last season.

This is why I opened a new thread for the 2012 season to get a gauge of how this season has been, but everyone keeps posting to this old thread.

here is the new one.
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...t_t#Post3783166
Posted By: bigbuck1

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/25/12 12:47 AM

I've saw several bucks ,but not one I wanted to shoot yet. Did go ahead and take a doe last week-end.
Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/25/12 01:16 AM

I saw one after dark cross the road but Anit see one yet while in the stand frown
Posted By: wrknonit

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/25/12 02:03 AM

Took 1 nice shooter 8 point in Kimble county first week of season and 1 nice Axis. Since then, nothing but young-uns and does. Still hoping though.
texas
Posted By: basehitchamp

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/25/12 04:20 AM

My son and I have not seen a deer let alone a buck this season, inlcudes archery season...400 acres low fence property, Taylor County just west of Abilene...property owner put 40 head of cattle on the place 2nd weekend of bow season...they have just abpout eatin all there is to eat on the place...hope they leave soon...

frustrating to say the least...
Posted By: mikeydon

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/25/12 06:08 AM

Been six times this week and seen nothing,not even a doe,I guess i'm the only one hunting,Cause i have'nt even heard any shot's in the distance.But my camera's are getting a lot of pic's starting around 10:00p.m. till around 4:00-5:00a.m. then nothing till next night.It's crazy confused2
Posted By: Land_Man

Re: OK Who hasent shot/seen a buck this season - 11/25/12 12:13 PM

I've only shot 2 does and a spike. There is a heavily hunted lease butting up against our place and I bet they cleaned out all our mature bucks. Haven't seen any of the big 8's or the 9pt on my cameras in weeks. Oh well
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum