Texas Hunting Forum

Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear

Posted By: Gofigr25

Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 10:41 AM

If you had the opportunity to hunt a very well managed 1000 acre high fenced ranch that met all TPWD guidelines and regualtions yet all the bucks and does on the ranch had tags in thier ears would you still hunt the ranch?

Say for instance this ranch used tags to help make sure certain bucks were not shot while others were fair game. Would this lessen or turn you off as a hunter?

Does this look really lessen the excitment of the hunt? Does it tarnish hunting in general?

I'm looking for feedback here.

Thanks

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 11:38 AM

You might stand a better chance of getting feedback, if you would go ahead and post your opinion of this, along with the question.

Posted By: sotxbowhntr

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 11:49 AM

IMO, it takes all the fun out of it. I would not enjoy going out on 1000 acres and looking for "buck #187." It just would not feel right. Again, just my opinion.

Posted By: jrye

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 01:46 PM

I remember my first buck that i killed had a small metal tag in its ear. It was a small 3 pointer i took while hunting in the sam houston national forest as a kid.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 02:00 PM

even though i'm in full support of high fence hunting, the tag thing gets me as well.

i do not want to kill something with a tag in its ear.

btw, most deer with that are tagged are born naturally on the ranch, then shot with a net, tagged and then released into a pen to breed a passel of does. the color code on the tag assures he can be identified and caught again from the chopper

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 02:01 PM

Jewelry

Posted By: Ox190

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 02:13 PM

If I was going to hunt livestock I'd rather shoot a cow. You get a lot more meat and I can shoot one a lot cheaper than some of those high fence deer.

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 03:18 PM

Welcome to the THF.

It is a personal thing, and the problem arises in that people will make statements one way, yet if they were placed into the actual situation their actions might be a complete 180 from what their words were.

Quote:

Does it tarnish hunting in general?

It has nothing to do with hunting in general, because it is inside a high fence, therefore an enclosed, human manipulated environment.

That has nothing what so ever to do with deer free ranging on a 1000 acres or even 100 acres of low fence property.

To many folks just the sheer fact that it is on a high fence property, they feel it is wrong and cheapens the hunting experience. JMO.

Posted By: JCB

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 03:21 PM

I have no desire to shoot a tagged deer no matter how big it is.

One thing I do find funny though is that a tagged duck (banded) is prized in waterfowling, but a tagged deer (ear tag) is frowned upon in deer hunting.

Posted By: Fistula

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 04:49 PM

I have never duck hunted in a high fenced lake/creek...

What's it like?

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 05:34 PM

Quote:

What's it like?

I have not tried it yet!!

But I was thinking that if these hunters that like to shoot ear taged animals would start wearing their ear tags around the neck (maybe on thier gunt call lanyard) like the duck hunters wear their bands, then that might create more of a demand for these "ear tag hunts"!

Got to run now!

Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 06:09 PM

Here is trophy for sure. Good ol number 7647.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 06:17 PM

AS it's being explained to me is that they use the ear tags to help keep from shooting a deer that is to young or that they don't want to shoot. Basically as part of the ranches managment plan.

My dilema is as an invited guest I don't like the idea of shooting an animal that has a tag in it's ear as it lessens the true hunting experiance. But I'm not paying for the hunt either it's being given to me.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 06:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What's it like?

I have not tried it yet!!

But I was thinking that if these hunters that like to shoot ear taged animals would start wearing their ear tags around the neck (maybe on thier gunt call lanyard) like the duck hunters wear their bands, then that might create more of a demand for these "ear tag hunts"!

Got to run now!

LOL

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 07:35 PM

Quote:

My dilema is as an invited guest I don't like the idea of shooting an animal that has a tag in it's ear as it lessens the true hunting experiance. But I'm not paying for the hunt either it's being given to me.

If shooting a ear taged deer lessens the hunting experiance in your mind then it aint going to matter one bit if you paid a million bucks to shoot that deer, or if you were able to shoot it for free. Either way you still killed a taged deer and if you think it goes against your own belief of what a "real hunt" is then dont do it.

Myself, I would not shoot a taged deer no matter how big the deer was or how cheap the hunt was. It just dont intrest me at all.

If you feel it is wrong, then dont do it!!! Thats a decision that only you can make!

Best of luck to you either way!

Posted By: chad miller

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 08:06 PM

I have taken several tagged DOES at my cousins ranch. They are used as a means to identify which ranch they were netted from, and what year they were brought onto his ranch.

I have yet to shoot a tagged buck, and probably won't. IMO, it doesn't lessen the hunt, as the buck was darted at some point and tagged to ensure nobody else shoots him, and lets him live a life of feeding and breeding. But, as he hits 6.5 or 7.5, and he goes on the downhill slide, it wouldn't bother me to harvest him from the herd.

On the flipside, I'm doing my cousin a favor, and not having to pay for it, either.

Regardless of whether it has a tag in its ear, it doesn't make it a tame animal, and certainly doesn't mean he's any easier to hunt than the buck standing beside him w/out a tag. I've gone all year hunting one particular buck that needed to be taken, and we never saw him once.

I don't know why most people think that just b/c he's got a tag in his ear makes him a pet. May be true at some places, but not at the ones I've had the pleasure of hunting...

Posted By: SteveO

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 08:56 PM

Quote:

I have taken several tagged DOES at my cousins ranch. They are used as a means to identify which ranch they were netted from, and what year they were brought onto his ranch.

I have yet to shoot a tagged buck, and probably won't. IMO, it doesn't lessen the hunt, as the buck was darted at some point and tagged to ensure nobody else shoots him, and lets him live a life of feeding and breeding. But, as he hits 6.5 or 7.5, and he goes on the downhill slide, it wouldn't bother me to harvest him from the herd.

On the flipside, I'm doing my cousin a favor, and not having to pay for it, either.

Regardless of whether it has a tag in its ear, it doesn't make it a tame animal, and certainly doesn't mean he's any easier to hunt than the buck standing beside him w/out a tag. I've gone all year hunting one particular buck that needed to be taken, and we never saw him once.

I don't know why most people think that just b/c he's got a tag in his ear makes him a pet. May be true at some places, but not at the ones I've had the pleasure of hunting...

LOL! you can't MAKE this stuff up, man!

Posted By: rickod50

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 09:01 PM

do the tags tell you how much your shooting at red 1000.00 yellow 2000.00 gold 10.000.00

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 09:25 PM

Quote:

\

i'll vouch for that, all it means on most places is that the deer was caught from a helicopter and tagged, not raised at petco

Posted By: Tye

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 09:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

LOL! you can't MAKE this stuff up, man!

He's not making is up. I've got some tagged does on my place that were TTT from a ranch in south Texas. They are tagged so they aren't shot(for genetic improvement). I've got one doe #25 that has only been seen twice all year...and that was from a night camera. Out of the 10 does we brought in, 2 were found at the processing plant harvested by hunters outside of our place(they jumped the 8' fence).I bet they wouldn't have shot them knowing they had the genetics from a ranch that produces 200" native whitetails. The processor owner spoke with the guy that killed one of them and he asked if he needed to call the State like with banded ducks.LOL

I guided on a ranch this year that had 2 bucks that were tagged. The hunters didn't think twice about killing them. All the tags mean is that the deer was handled at one time(sure would like to see a deer become tame after being handled once)Like mentioned earlier, just because the deer has a tag doesn't mean it's easier to kill.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 10:03 PM

Let me play devils advocate here for a minute and see just how strong your convictions are.

Say your hunting a several hundred acre low fence property and the owner/manager of the place ezxplains to all the hunters that a study is being done by TP&W and ther are some tagged deer in the area and they are asking anyone that sees one to shoot it for information gathering purposes.

Your in your stand, legal shooting time comes and you look out and sure enough one of those tagged deer has come in to the feeder.

Are you going to let it walk, even though it is on a low fence place and it is acting just like all the other deer around it????

Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 10:24 PM

if it was on a low fence place I think it would/could be considered a trophy

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 10:33 PM

Quote:

Let me play devils advocate here for a minute and see just how strong your convictions are.

Say your hunting a several hundred acre low fence property and the owner/manager of the place ezxplains to all the hunters that a study is being done by TP&W and ther are some tagged deer in the area and they are asking anyone that sees one to shoot it for information gathering purposes.

Your in your stand, legal shooting time comes and you look out and sure enough one of those tagged deer has come in to the feeder.

Are you going to let it walk, even though it is on a low fence place and it is acting just like all the other deer around it????

We will cross that bridge if we ever get there!!

But in my mind a deer with a tag in its ear is a deer that has been molested. I dont want to shoot a deer that someone else put their grubby ole hands on before me!

I have no desire to shoot a molested deer! Low fence, high fence, no fence, it dont matter.......if it has a tag in its ear then it has been molested!

Posted By: SimpleTXgal

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 10:33 PM

Quote:

If you had the opportunity to hunt a very well managed 1000 acre high fenced ranch that met all TPWD guidelines and regualtions yet all the bucks and does on the ranch had tags in thier ears would you still hunt the ranch?

My instinctive response to this was an adamant NO! It still is but then I am fortunate enough to own my own land and have a place to hunt. Under different circumstances though, if I lived in the big city and had no financial means to lease and the only way I could go hunting was through just such an offer, I can't say I wouldn't. As Crazyhorse put it "just how strong are your convictions", before I say I will "never" I always think of that movie Hombre, where the lady is turning her nose up at the indians for eating dogs and Paul Newman tells her she ain't never been that hungry. I can easily sit here and say I ain't eating no dog (BIG DOG LOVER), but then again I haven't ever been that hungry, and hope never to be, but I have never been in that situation. Same thing goes here. In my present situation, NO. All the responses to this post got me to thinking also that I wonder if the tags in the deers ears = money, some folks might change their opinions. They have bass tournaments with tagged fish, and if you catch a certain one it means a new car or $10,000 dollars. The fishing itself is no different and they are in the same lake. Just made me wonder if one of those tags equaled a new truck if I might not shoot one then. Just thinking out loud....

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 10:38 PM

Okay, that is a fair enough answer to the question.

Happy New Year!

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 11:02 PM

I'll shoot 1 or 100. Still tastes the same and it is going to die eventually anyway. Might as well go on my grill and not a coyotes. I just ain't going to pay for the right to do it or video it.

Posted By: Bucklessbob77

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 11:27 PM

If you had the opportunity to bag a very well managed prostitute that met all TPWD guidelines and regulations yet all the prostitutes on the ranch had tags in their ears would you still bag the prostitute?

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 11:30 PM

That is funny, I never have had to avail myself of one of those ladies, tell us more you sound like you have some experience.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 11:43 PM

After shooting a few deer with tags in their ears, renting a hooker would not be much of a stretch.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 11:50 PM

Ah Yes, once again you prove your ignorance, I have never shot a deer with a tag in its ear, but, if I was being invited to a place and wasn't going to have to pay for it, I wouldn't give a chit if it was tied up.

It is an animal on a high fence place and the shooter is going to be in an enclosed blind and the deer, tags or no tags are at a feeder, Oh Yeah, I See That Tag Ruining The Hunting Experience...........NOT, Dip Chit.

Why don't you thaw your brains out a little before you start reading chit into everything. Good Grief!!!

Posted By: spanky

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 11:51 PM

Posted By: 7mag

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/26/07 11:52 PM

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 12:03 AM

a ranch full of hookers sounds pretty good, actually.

i can see it alreay, a big gate that says "welcome to silicone valley

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 12:04 AM

Quote:

if I was being invited to a place and wasn't going to have to pay for it, I wouldn't give a chit if it was tied up.

Well, I think that defines the difference between us.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 12:12 AM

What is the ethical difference between hunting over a feeder and hunting a deer with a tag in it ear? Not very much, in both situations the deer is being controlled by man. The feeder brings the deer whether it has a tag in it's ear or not. The tag does not make the deer any less smart than the deer without the tag. A low fence operation doesn't have the genetics control that a high fence has. If a 200 class buck escapes a high fence most of you that hate high fences would shoot it in a heart beat, ear tag or no tag. So what is the ethics of shooting a 200 class deer that was raised on a high fence and is now free range on a low fence. Do you let it walk because it used to be a high fence deer? I seriously doubt it.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 12:14 AM

Yes, it probably does, because if I know I am going to be going on a high fence place, they are not going to let me grab my rifle and head off thru the pasture actually trying to hunt, now are they?

They are gonna take me to a stand and possibly someone will get in the stand with me and tell me just exactly what I can and can not shoot.

What difference does it make if it has a tag in its ear, its butt shaved, or tied up, NONE.

It is a free opportunity to shoot a deer, there is no real hunting involved.

If I was paying for it, I would rather it not have a tag, and that it was going to be on a low fence place, but none of that is why the guy's op is about.

He has the chance to go shoot a deer on a managed property, and it ain't gonna be the deer of his choice, probably.

No matter what anyone says, to me that equates to a shoot, not a hunt.

Now what is your opinion on that?????

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 12:15 AM

Quote:

What is the ethical difference between hunting over a feeder and hunting a deer with a tag in it ear? Not very much, in both situations the deer is being controlled by man. The feeder brings the deer whether it has a tag in it's ear or not. The tag does not make the deer any less smart than the deer without the tag. A low fence operation doesn't have the genetics control that a high fence has. If a 200 class buck escapes a high fence most of you that hate high fences would shoot it in a heart beat, ear tag or no tag. So what is the ethics of shooting a 200 class deer that was raised on a high fence and is now free range on a low fence. Do you let it walk because it used to be a high fence deer? I seriously doubt it.

Great post....

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 12:24 AM

All I can say is truthfully, I wouldn't shoot the biggest buck in the world if it had an ear tag. A really good lookin' hooker...that might be another story. I don't go on "shoots"..I go hunting. If your outdoor experiences are so limited that "shoots" appeal to you, fine.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 12:48 AM

Quote:

If your outdoor experiences are so limited that "shoots" appeal to you, fine.

Please remind me at what point I said that something like that appeals to me??????

See, your reading stuff into stuff that wasn't said.

Lets see now about my hunting experiences.

Hunted Nebraska 4 times, 2 times on a Private Ranch in the sand hills, and 2 times on Public Land in the Pine Ridge.

Colorado about a dozen times since 1992.

Canada twice. Wyoming once. New mexico once. Texas a bunch.

Now if someone calls me up and invites me to come to their place and shoot a deer, I am gonna do it. I don't turn down offers like that, same with fishing, someone calls me up and wants me to come out to their place or meet them at a certain lake, I am going to go.

If you turn down offers like that, More Power To You Gunga Dihn, as for me, have gun or rod will travel, and I will bring the beer.

It is not the type of hunt or shoot that appeals to me, it is the fact that I am out in the field with a gun in my fat little hands and if I see something and my host says it is okay, I am gonna perforate it.

Some how, I am glad that I don't have your lofty ideals when it comes to "Hunting".

The funny thing is, I bet that I ain't the only person on this site, that would not have one problem going to that place and shooting a deer, tagged/butt shaved/nipple rings/bone thru its nose whatever.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 01:01 AM

Well, Geez CHC...you sound like you're ready for a TV show. Maybe you could tag along with Jimmy Houston.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 01:11 AM

Ok guys, lets not get personal..we have a great debate going on here...

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 01:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If your outdoor experiences are so limited that "shoots" appeal to you, fine.

Please remind me at what point I said that something like that appeals to me??????

See, your reading stuff into stuff that wasn't said.

Lets see now about my hunting experiences.

Hunted Nebraska 4 times, 2 times on a Private Ranch in the sand hills, and 2 times on Public Land in the Pine Ridge.

Colorado about a dozen times since 1992.

Canada twice. Wyoming once. New mexico once. Texas a bunch.

Now if someone calls me up and invites me to come to their place and shoot a deer, I am gonna do it. I don't turn down offers like that, same with fishing, someone calls me up and wants me to come out to their place or meet them at a certain lake, I am going to go.

If you turn down offers like that, More Power To You Gunga Dihn, as for me, have gun or rod will travel, and I will bring the beer.

It is not the type of hunt or shoot that appeals to me, it is the fact that I am out in the field with a gun in my fat little hands and if I see something and my host says it is okay, I am gonna perforate it.

Some how, I am glad that I don't have your lofty ideals when it comes to "Hunting".

The funny thing is, I bet that I ain't the only person on this site, that would not have one problem going to that place and shooting a deer, tagged/butt shaved/nipple rings/bone thru its nose whatever.

Meat is Meat, however you look at it, unless you like the head adornment only...and care nothing for the rest.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 01:24 AM

Quote:

Meat is Meat, however you look at it,

Then why go hunting? Leave it to those of us who appreciate it.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 01:28 AM

No Sir, on two counts.

1. I am too damn ugly.

2. I ain't gonna waste a shot on something I can feed out of my hand and knock in the head with a hammer. I don't think too many sponsors would want to be connected with that.

The question from the Original Poster asked about people having a problem with shooting an animal with a tag in its ear on a free hunt.

As it stands at this point, it is:

Crazyhorse = No,
BucklessBob = Yes.

Now since everything else that has been said by everyone else is , with a capital BS, why don't we get back to answering the question and stop worrying about the ethics or morals of folks that will or won't shoot ear tagged deer or will or won't bag a working girl.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 01:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Meat is Meat, however you look at it,

Then why go hunting? Leave it to those of us who appreciate it.

So you just shoot a deer and do nothing with the meat......really I guess if it does not measure up to your standards you just pitch it, because it was no appreciated?

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 01:36 AM

If it doesn't measure up to my standards..I don't SHOOT it. Dang, I'm in a CHC-Spanky sandwich.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 01:46 AM

Quote:

Dang, I'm in a CHC-Spanky sandwich.

Don't worry about it unles we break out the ketchup and mustard and wrap you and the ho in a hot dog bun and throw you in a micro wave.

You have your standards, I have mine, everyone has there own standards.

I have just seen way too many folks that proclaim their high standards and ideals, back slide all to hell when they are put in an actual situation.

Too many folks are spending way too much time worrying about what other people will or won't shoot, and I have noticed that those of us that don't care what a person wants to do or not do, really don't care, while those that do profess such high ideals want everyone to believe the way they do.

I don't get that, what difference does it make to anyone but me about what I want to kill or how or where I want to kill it, as long as it is legal?????

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 01:49 AM

Sounds like you're right at home with the Democratic Party.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 01:53 AM

No clue............Lots of folks hold to your mindset, bigger is better,I'm just not one. My .02

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 02:03 AM

Now you're going to have to put forth a coherent argument Spunky. I shot 2 does, my son got a buck. My freezer's full..I don't NEED another deer. My "management" plan is wallhanger...or doe. If that buck ain't worth 400 bucks(to mount it)..I ain't shooting it.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 02:08 AM

Quote:

Sounds like you're right at home with the Democratic Party.

There you go again showing your complete lack of intelligence.

I voted for George W. both times as gov. and both times as President, and was planning on voting for Fred Thompson, but may have to change that to Mike Huckabee.

Not sure what that has to do with shooting a deer with an ear tag, but then I figure you don't either.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 02:24 AM

Quote:

I don't get that, what difference does it make to anyone but me about what I want to kill or how or where I want to kill it, as long as it is legal?????

I think that's the same argument the same-sex marriage fruitcakes use.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 02:47 AM

It has nothing what so ever to do with same sex marriages or bagging working girls.

It has to do with some folks wanting to ram their ideas and beliefs down everyone else's throats, supposedly to bring order to the world.

Seems like some one tried to do that back in the 1930's, of course I could be wrong about that.

You can hunt/shoot/kill what you want to and more power to you, because I don't care, even whether it is legal or not.

I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else. I am quite comfortable with the game I have killed and how I killed it during my hunting career, and will continue doing things the way I have been as long as it is legal.

When you grow up enough to realize the size of a deers antlers have nothing what so ever to do with the size of the soul inside the person that shot it, maybe you will understand, but I really doubt it. And Yes, that is my opinion.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 03:01 AM

Quote:

When you grow up enough to realize the size of a deers antlers have nothing what so ever to do with the size of the soul inside the person that shot it, maybe you will understand, but I really doubt it. And Yes, that is my opinion.

Man...being the "celebrity" around here has gone to your head. Have you even read anything I've posted? I like to HUNT...not kill (cause then you have to clean them)..and any "SOUL" that would shoot a tagged deer has no soul.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 03:05 AM

Get Spunky back over here...he brings the IQ level down to where I can handle it.

Posted By: Wes70

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 03:11 AM

Who cares. Sorry, if some one gave me a hunt and said go shoot #2457. It is still a challange. You have to hunt for that one deer, you still have to glass to make sure it is the right one. You might only see #2456 or #2458. Also to top it all off the ear tag can be removed and you can cover up the hole. Does this make me less of a hunter....................... "NOT NO BUT HELL NO". The key is I still have to "HUNT" for #2457.

just my .02

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 03:17 AM

Quote:

if some one gave me a hunt and said go shoot #2457. It is still a challange. .. "NOT NO BUT HELL NO". The key is I still have to "HUNT" for #2457.

just my .02

Uhh...that ain't a hunt, that's some kind of bingo game with firearms.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 03:44 AM

So your saying that if a person is out hunting, and shoots a deer, and when they get to the animal they find that it has one of the small metal tags that the states use in their studies, that person is not a real hunter???

That is what your saying isn't it???. Or what if it was an animal that lost its tag, but the hole was still there, would that make a difference????

What makes those of us that say we would not have a problem shooting a deer with a tag, less of person than you??????

As for not reading, I have gone all sorts of places so that I could hunt, you missed that one didn't you.

You completely miss the fact that I enjoy actually hunting, getting out and looking for game.

All you can see is the fact that I have no problem shooting an animal with a tag in its ear, or from a stand/blind watching a corn feeder.

Yes, I have know that you like to hunt and that you think what we do in Texas is Not Hunting, BFD so do a lot of folks around the country.

Tough Nookies.

I like to hunt, but I also like to kill things, white tails are among my most favorite things to kill.

That you have a problem with that, is not my problem.

I am not trying to convince anyone that my way is best or better than anyone else's, unlike some folks.

Now then, back to the original post and the earlier posted results.

Yes, I would shoot an animal with an ear tag. = Crazyhorse

No, under no circumstance would I shoot an animal with an ear tag, even if it was on top of Mount Everest and I had been following it for three weeks before I discovered that it had an ear tag. = BucklessBob.

Vote still stands at 1 yes and 1 no.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 03:58 AM

And they call you a Celebrity...

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 04:05 AM

No Sir, my friends call me Randall or Sh_t Head or you Old S.O.B. or Bass Turd.

Usually adding the word Opinionated in there some where.

Only insecure jerks refer to me by that title that I would really like to see forums do away with.

I know it has been explained as to why there are the various titles given to the differnt levels of posts a person has made, but I have never paid any attention to such things, and have never noticed that it has done a damn thing for anyone.

Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 06:04 AM

Quote:

Who cares. Sorry, if some one gave me a hunt and said go shoot #2457. It is still a challange. You have to hunt for that one deer, you still have to glass to make sure it is the right one. You might only see #2456 or #2458. Also to top it all off the ear tag can be removed and you can cover up the hole. Does this make me less of a hunter....................... "NOT NO BUT HELL NO". The key is I still have to "HUNT" for #2457.

just my .02

PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH! It is #7647

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 02:16 PM

Thanks for all the insight on this. This hunt is being offered to be by a company I work with as a reward type deal. It's a chance at a buck of a lifetime no doubt in the 160's or bigger but in digging into the hunt it seems this ranch has a full breeding facilty on site and lets some deer go.

I'm a bit quesy about shooting a buck with a tag that has been raised for quite sometime there. I understand the whole genetics aspect and wanting to breed your best to grow bigger and know that's a part of the hunting world now.

Just not sure it's what I want to see as part of my world.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 03:52 PM

Quote:

do the tags tell you how much your shooting at red 1000.00 yellow 2000.00 gold 10.000.00

Thanks for your snide remark, but actually, it tells me which ranch the deer came from, which also tells me which year the deer was released onto the ranch, which tells me how long the deer has been on the ranch, and consulting our notes tells us how many babies she has produced for our ranch, which does/bucks she dropped, etc.

But yes, if we really wanted to, we could tell that a 4.5 yr old MONSTER walking around MUST have come from a "red" tagged doe, since we put red tag does on the ranch 4.5 years ago, and the doe must have already been bred when we released her....

And the last time I checked, the state allows a landowner, regardless of acres that are under high fence, to capture a specific animal and breed him with no more than 20 does in a protected pen. It's called DMP. And yes, he has a few STUDS walking around with tags in their ears that he has managed to capture and place in pens, and then later release to spread his genetics to ensure that his herd will continue to improve.

If he called me tomorrow and said that he tagged a 2.5 yr old buck that was already in the upper 150's 4 years ago, and offers me the opportunity to take him b/c he's on the downhill slide and will eventually die of old age (which, by the way, tells me he's managing his herd the RIGHT way)...I'd have no problem taking a buck with a tag in its ears. I'd consider it a waste if we found him dead this summer.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 04:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

as no soul? Explain yourself.

Man...being the "celebrity" around here has gone to your head. Have you even read anything I've posted? I like to HUNT...not kill (cause then you have to clean them)..and any "SOUL" that would shoot a tagged deer has no soul.

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 04:22 PM

Just a question here and I should have asked it earlier, and please do not be offended, but how much hunting experience, years wise, do you have?????

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 05:04 PM

If a person shoots a tagged deer that does not make them less of a person nor have no soul. You are a f'in idot for thinking that. Some peoples views are different then others. Just because there views are different, does not make them have no soul or make them a bad person.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 05:09 PM

"It is better to be hated for what you are
than to be loved for what you are not."
-- Andre Gide
(1869-1951) French writer

Shoot that sucker!!!!

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 05:11 PM

It's a free hunt do it. If you were paying for it. It would be a different story.

Posted By: CTK3

Re: Harvesting/Hunting Deer With a Tag In Their Ear - 12/27/07 06:16 PM

dogcatcher...

'the gays are a very clean and intelligent type of people, they have been that way since they migrated to the united states from france over 200 years ago'---peter griffen from family guy

just thought id share my fav. quote also.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum