Texas Hunting Forum

Who is still Hunting

Posted By: Wiredhernandez

Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 09:35 PM

Many hours logged in the blind so far and only had the kids take 1 doe each... Still hunting for a buck... Who else is still at it? May have to be content with hog hunting till next year..! Maybe two more hunts for me.

Posted By: stxhunter

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 09:47 PM

It's just about to get good for us down here in South Texas. Most of the guys on the lease have probably done 2 full weekends of hunting so far, some not even that! Good luck and don't quit till it's over!

Posted By: passthru

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 09:48 PM

Going this weekend. Never say die.

Posted By: DSP56

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 09:49 PM

We'll hunt until we cant hunt no more.

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 09:49 PM

Since I haven't killed anything yet, or even seen a shooter buck, you can bet I'll still be hunting hard until the last light of the last afternoon. I've killed two good bucks in my life on the last day.

Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 09:50 PM

still at it

Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 09:52 PM

Already got a buck and a hog. But I'm going back to just kill pigs.

Posted By: T4PL

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 09:52 PM

Will try and fill my doe tag this weekend. Probably the last chance I'll have this season. Me and a friend are going to try and go standby on one of the drawn hunts in January, try and extend the season.

It's crazy, I was so pumped for deer season starting in July and now it's almost over.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 09:54 PM

I'll be out there this weekend and right before New Years.

Not feeling it this year though. Nobody seeing much worth talking about in my area.

Posted By: Curly

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 10:12 PM

ME! I'm still skunked!!!

Posted By: grb

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 10:15 PM

I have hunted everyday except Sunday since opening day. Killed a 9, an 11 and a doe. Also shot 8 pigs. Freezer is full but I will hunt until the season ends. Sometimes I don't take a gun. Just love being outside watching and chasing game. Good luck all.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 10:16 PM

Me bounce, I am in for the long haul this season.

Posted By: tannerlst

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 10:21 PM

still have all my tags...

Posted By: MikeBillington

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 10:22 PM

I've killed a really nice buck a few years back on the last evening of deer season right before it got too dark to shoot. Never know what comes out the last minute so don't give up. There's still several weeks left in this season.

Posted By: Bwana83

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 10:22 PM

Add me to the list. Probably won't shoot a thing but I'll continue to put some friends on does

Posted By: waddy

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 10:29 PM

Still "guiding" my friends. Waiting on one buck in a pic to come out in real life.

Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 10:41 PM

Only been out twice so far this year. Get 2 more tries at it. There's a good buck with a split G-2 I'm really gunning for. Or the other big 6 that's out there. Either would be good trophies to me.

Posted By: JCB

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 10:47 PM

You never know when bad luck can turn into good luck. 2 years ago I was hunting the last day of the season and still hadnt killed my buck. It was cloudy and geting dark quick so I had packed everything up and was unlatching the door to my stand when the 9 point I had passed on early in the season steped out and I took him. It came down to the last 30 seconds of my season but I still got my buck.

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 10:48 PM

Who is still hunting?

Seems like the season just started not that long ago, and it sure goes by fast.

Just goes to show that you have to hunt when ever you can, and not try to pick the ideal days to go, or you will be wondering what happened, and why it's over already.

Posted By: redfred

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 10:59 PM

I get my one and (probably) only chance to go one day next week. I can't afford a lease, so my son and I are going out on a day hunt. (Life's a b*tch when you're poor) My only other possible chance will be during black powder season.
But I have a good feeling about it. My last two deer were both shot on the last day of the season.

Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 11:09 PM

Buying my license tomorrow, and taking the first week in Jan. Off to hit it hard.

Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 11:52 PM

Will not be done until Feb.

Posted By: mmlreiner

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/14/11 11:57 PM

I'm hunting with my Gf the last weekend from thurs to Sunday. And like the first day, I can't wait.

Posted By: kyle1974

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 12:23 AM

I'll be hunting through february.... I havne't shot a big deer yet, but they're out there. going to miss the next couple weeks of hunting, which sucks because the rut is already started, and will be full blown in a few days

Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 12:25 AM

Still at it!

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Wiredhernandez
Many hours logged in the blind so far and only had the kids take 1 doe each... Still hunting for a buck... Who else is still at it? May have to be content with hog hunting till next year..! Maybe two more hunts for me.

Never stop hunting.

Posted By: Team By-God

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 01:41 AM

headed back to brownwood friday thru monday. still trying to put my 10 yr old on his 1st deer. i have my deer. im just guide and camera man now..

Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 01:49 AM

I'll still be at it at the lease this weekend and over the holiday breaks. Got a nice 11pt with a gun and a doe with a bow so far and put my lil cousin on a doe. Still have a few culls that need to be put down, plus I'm planning on taking kwrhuntinglab out sometime before the end of season... if he ever calls.

Also really need to take a cull at my buddy's ranch or I won't be invited back to hunt there next year.

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 01:53 AM

I'm still at it,always fun to get outside.I haven't seen the right deer yet.I've only missed a FEW days since the gun-opener.Right now it is green as a gourd,deer aren't coming to feeders much.

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 01:55 AM

I'm still at it,always fun to get outside.I haven't seen the right deer yet.I've only missed a FEW days since the gun-opener.Right now it is green as a gourd,deer aren't coming to feeders much.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 01:56 AM

I am still hunting. Though not very hard. Plus still have some hunting at the end of the month in Mississippi

Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 01:57 AM

I am still at it a couple times a week. Just like getting out in the evening. Not many morning hunts. The colder weather seems to have stirred the pigs up some.

Posted By: michael rice

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 01:58 AM

ill be done jan 15

Posted By: T4PL

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Csddarden
I'll still be at it at the lease this weekend and over the holiday breaks. Got a nice 11pt with a gun and a doe with a bow so far and put my lil cousin on a doe. Still have a few culls that need to be put down, plus I'm planning on taking kwrhuntinglab out sometime before the end of season... if he ever calls.

Also really need to take a cull at my buddy's ranch or I won't be invited back to hunt there next year.

That sounds terrible! You have to take a deer so you'll be invited back... the breaks some people get! I wish I had your problem. Good luck bang

Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 02:46 AM

Not done yet! My best luck has always been late in the season. Plus need some more meat. Heading out for three days before Christmas weekend and then three days after Christmas. Good luck to all!

Posted By: diamond10x

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 02:59 AM

still goin. just cause deeer season ends dont mean huntin is over with partyon555

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 03:14 AM

I'll get some more stand time after the first of the yr.

Posted By: fireman1416

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 03:32 AM

shot a lost black buck but have all my tags and state mgmt permits still and plan to fill all the ones I am required to harvest but still holding out for a trophy..GOT SOME MOTIVATION YESTERDAY, on the way out to a short two day goose hunt I spotted the best buck I have ever seen about fifty yards off the road....Despite EXTREME DROUGHT and well into the season, I spotted a 160s class heavy horned beautiful buck with a split drop tine....TRUELY UNBELIEVABLE! ..................Headed south to the ranch for the rest of the week now.

Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 03:40 AM

Already put up a buck & a doe. I was holding off so my wife could get a little trigger time, but she had hand surgery on Nov 28th and it's still pretty sore....it's her trigger hand. May go back up just after CHRISTMAS and put one more in the freezer for one of my friends who is disabled.

Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 03:41 AM

I'm pretty much through myself. Only have two doe tags left, one doe down, two bucks down.

Going to try and go back but only take my recurve with me.

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 03:42 AM

we have meat in the freezer, but no bucks yet. Still have plenty of time to spend in the woods

Posted By: Letsgo

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 03:46 AM

Still hunting 3 days a week and haven't pulled the trigger just yet. I have seen plenty but nothing I really was satisfied with - will be out until the end of the year.

Posted By: southtexascracker

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 04:07 AM

We are just getting rolling in S TX. Rut hasn't even really fired yet. Our best hunting is usually Christmas to the end of the season (mid Jan). It's just been preseason so far.

Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By: T4PL
Originally Posted By: Csddarden

That sounds terrible! You have to take a deer so you'll be invited back... the breaks some people get! I wish I had your problem. Good luck bang

I know it sounds great but it's pretty depressing to go on a hunt and see really nice bucks in the 150+ range and have to wait for a dink. For instance... last year I watched this guy chilling under the feeder broadside at 100 yards on two evenings.

...and was told to shoot this because he was a main-frame 8

The ranch will be HF in the next couple years and I have to do my part for management.

Posted By: sandman05

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 05:42 AM

Its barely gonna get started down here in the south thus is just a warm up for when the rut takes off

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 02:59 PM

I'll hunt as much as humanly possible during Christmas break.... haven't killed anything but pigs and coyotes so far. oh, and that one poor armadillo....

Posted By: FiftySix

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 03:27 PM

Took a buck already, but still looking for a spike on my place to finish out the year. I'll likely make it out once more before the season ends...

Posted By: Wiredhernandez

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 03:29 PM

Its always nice getting out. Hoping that a big guy shows up. Maybe that big one is going to show up at the end of hunt. Didn't see squat last year until literally the last 5 minutes of my season and took a nice buck who was never captured on camera before..Plenty of young bucks and does.. What would be management bucks are not eligible due to AR... Just makes your heart pump that much more to see something special smile

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 03:34 PM

It hasnt even got good here yet....acorns are running out though...it should be gettin just right soon

Posted By: ccoker

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 03:34 PM

got my big buck for the year and a few hogs already but will be going out Sat - Tue

hope to get my 7 year old his first deer and the 14 year old a deer

also on the menu are pigs and coyotes
we will be setting up a remote coyote caller and have my dad out, he doesn't care anymore about shooting deer but he really wants to test some Barnes Varmint Grenades out of his 22-250

Spending time in the woods with the family and away from modern life is so crucial to me staying sane working high tech for a living!

Posted By: ScottF

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 03:36 PM

Still hunting. Have a doe and hog in the freezer. Want to try to get at least two more deer and a hog or two. Going this weekend.

Posted By: BYPATHofNIGHT

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/15/11 05:13 PM

I'll have to miss the next 2 weekends, but after that will continue to hunt as long as its legal; however, I'm down to hunting only does now this season (and hogs) but I have no problem with that.

Posted By: Lotto

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/16/11 03:42 AM

Have not got my whitetail yet.......Goin back up North after xmas.................

Posted By: TxTechsan

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/16/11 04:53 AM

Just about to get started I hope. Busted up my foot/ankle pretty bad on the 2nd day of season. Hoping to be walking/climbing again by Christmas. If not my kids may turn me in for child abuse for not taking them hunting enough!!

Posted By: BenBob

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/16/11 08:16 PM

Is the season still open? Then I am still hunting.

Posted By: dkite

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/16/11 09:37 PM

Just got started killed a nice 8 and a spike two hogs on sat. Dec. 11 ready to take out some does now.

Posted By: brokenpole

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/17/11 01:12 AM

going again

Posted By: nochance4win

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/17/11 08:06 PM

Setting in stand right now in Bee county. Just getting started down here.

Posted By: Team By-God

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/18/11 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Team By-god
headed back to brownwood friday thru monday. still trying to put my 10 yr old on his 1st deer. i have my deer. im just guide and camera man now..
the boy got hog fever this evening. he was shaking so bad i didnt know if he was gonna be able to shoot. he finally did and just missed by a hair, got most of it on video. that boy gotta calm down,.dang.....

Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/18/11 03:23 AM

Try to find something to hunt all year deer in season then hogs ,varmints, prairie dog. Whatever is in season or legal I'm hunting.

Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/18/11 03:44 AM

I have been bow hunting Public land since October. I hunt 2 to 3 day's a week. We have seen a lot deer and a few Big buck's but cant seem to get one to commit to the 20 Yard line. Ugh !! We have had some close call's and at time's very frustrating. But Were NOT GIVING UP !!!

Posted By: swmays

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/18/11 04:05 AM

Went out this evening. Didn't see a thing, but I was hunting...

Posted By: FOsteology

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/18/11 04:17 AM

I'm still plugging away. Haven't seen any deer the last couple times I've sat out. Since gun season, all I've seen is young deer.

Posted By: Earl

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/18/11 10:40 PM

I'm still at it every day off I get except for when I have to do the family thing Turkey day weekend and next weekend.

So far the tally between Jack and Young counties is one 8 point buck each for my son and I, and also for me a big boar, coyote, coon (damn thing had the nerve to live in my blind) Also 2 doe for one of the land owners. We will probably take a spike and/or a doe before it is over and if I have the opportunity a decent buck in Young County. Have been seing multiple deer every hunt in Young County - not so much activity in Jack though that is where my 8 point came from.

Earl

Posted By: mark in tx

Re: Who is still Hunting - 12/19/11 01:20 AM

Haven't seen a buck yet that will meet ARs, but I have 3 does in the freezer. Still a month left in the season.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum