Texas Hunting Forum

Any insight on Cotulla this year..

Posted By: EllisCountyHunter

Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 11/30/11 10:49 PM

I got invited to hunt a customers ranch this year. I've never hunted south texas before, so any insight on how the hunting is or even what needs to be brought would be awesome. Also, going on Dec. 11-15 so is that a good timeframe for rutting?

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 11/30/11 10:51 PM

The rut should be picking up around then. A tailgate feeder and corn are your friend if you have one and the deer are used to them. If you can shoot them to drop them in their tracks, Hi point of shoulder is great, the brush is thick and nasty.

That area got alot of rain recently if im right, will probably have some fat happy deer.

matt

Posted By: erniejs

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 11/30/11 10:54 PM

What redchevy said. Snake boots or leggings as much for the brush and cactus as the snakes, and chicken fried french fries at the Country Store

Posted By: Rockinmyshoe

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 11/30/11 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: erniejs
What redchevy said. Snake boots or leggings as much for the brush and cactus as the snakes, and chicken fried french fries at the Country Store

And the coldest beer in LA @ Ruby's Lounge Los Angeles Tx cheers

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 11/30/11 11:29 PM

South Texas, Corn, a tailgate feeder, and a cold beverage, it don't get any better than that!

Posted By: rollnss

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/01/11 01:26 AM

My aunt lives down thier. Small town. She lives in a new apartment complex. She tells me every morning she sees big bucks an tons of doe comming to graze in the field next to the parking lot.I'm guessing during the summer. I'm looking for a day hunt opportunity or just a friend of hers to throw a invite.

Your lucky to have the opportunity. South Texas deer are big.

Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/01/11 01:56 AM

By far the best place for big deer. I have hunted all over Texas and there are 150 inch deer under every bush it seems like.

Posted By: tx outlaw

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/01/11 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Leonardo
By far the best place for big deer. I have hunted all over Texas and there are 150 inch deer under every bush it seems like.

X2 my buddy shot a big 10 down there last year, helluva deer.

Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/01/11 02:01 AM

I am headed a little further South than Cotulla in the morning. Brush pants, snake boots, light layered clothing, road feeder, corn, good glass, and cold beer.

Posted By: rollnss

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/01/11 02:26 AM

Good luck. An be careful of snakes an hogs.

Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/01/11 04:04 PM

I hunt about 40 mi NE of Cotulla...it has been dry, however Doc
got a 4in rain about a wk ago when the Hill Country got 1 1/2 in

Also, in dry conditions, So Texas bucks sometimes eat something
that really has an affect on their rack...I had an old Uncle that
killed a B&C buck down there in a drought in the 30's...and they
didn't have water or ever feed then..DD

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/01/11 07:57 PM

Thanks for all the info. Are there javelina in that area?

Posted By: Justin T

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/01/11 08:16 PM

Perfect time to be going. Bring your rattling horns. And yes, there are javelina. Although I think I'd pass and wait to a bruiser buck to show up.

Posted By: Doubledroptine

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/01/11 09:26 PM

Dec. 11-15 is about the best time to get invited to South Texas. The rut should be going strong and the big bucks will be coming out of the thick brush after the ladies. Every year during the rut I get big bucks on cam that I don't see year round.

Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/02/11 02:17 AM

Great hunting, and lots of extremely knowledgeable ranchers, hunters and deer managers in the area. I enjoy listening and learning.

Expect to see some really nice 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 year olds which are fun to watch, but way off limits.

JJ's Country Store has excellent chicken enchiladas and soft (flour) chicken tacos.

Avoid Mo's unless you are very relaxed and not in a hurry. The hat display in Ben's clothing store is a neat bit of history of the local ranchers.

Wear snake boots 100% of the time and carry a flashlight at night and watch where you walk. There are LOTS of Texas earthworms, and big ones.

Last weekend was the closest I ever came to a bad outcome with one when what looked like a fallen mesquite limb rose up off the ground like a cobra above my knee about a foot and half away. This was the third one I've run across this year.

Take a few minutes to enjoy the stars at night.

Good luck. up

Posted By: Texsun

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/02/11 03:17 AM

My Dad and Grandfather hunted Cotulla and Encinal in the sixties and early seventies...we've got a lot of monster shoulder mounts from that part of Texas....

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/03/11 02:55 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm shopping for snake boots now from hearing about it. Ranch is actually 7 miles north of catulla. Has anyone seen or heard anything about Japanese Snow Monkies?

Posted By: PWT

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/03/11 03:47 AM

http://www.theunticket.com/nolan-ryan-talks-about-snow-monkeys/

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/03/11 03:51 AM

http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2005-08-05/283057/

Posted By: memarkers

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/03/11 04:27 AM

Hunted with my cousin down there a few years ago and his place had a 10 point 20" spread minimum. After getting back to camp that morning I saw why. Saw some awesone deer hanging. By far the best deer hunt I've ever been on.

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/03/11 04:28 AM

Thnaks for the links, that is just crazy. Would make an awesome mount though.

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/03/11 04:50 AM

Im not sure you're budget or your location, but i got a pair of RedHead 16" zip-up snake boots at Bass Pro Shops, by far the most comfortable footwear Ive ever owned!!!! I keep wearing them hunting when snake seasons done, just my 2cents

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/03/11 05:15 AM

I found some pretty cheap. I'm only allowed to hunt 4 days each year, so won't need them unless I'm there. Got some used at a good rate.

Posted By: Selina-flashlight

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/06/11 08:36 AM

really?

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Any insight on Cotulla this year.. - 12/06/11 06:54 PM

As for the tailgate feeder and corn. Academy carries the Forever Lasts feeder for about $100. It's quite easy to throw 100 lbs. of corn per day so pack accordingly.

If you get the chance at a good buck then shoot 'em in the shoulder. Not behind the shoulder...in the shoulder. Break bone so they can't run. That brush has swallowed more big bucks than you can imagine.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum