Texas Hunting Forum

Brown County Report....

Posted By: AP

Brown County Report.... - 11/17/11 12:38 AM

Any rutting activity going on around the Priddy,Zepher area? Havnt ben in a couple of weeks wondering how the deer are moving.

Posted By: thecoach

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/17/11 12:48 AM

I'm between mullin and goldthwaite and they are starting to get in full swing. Two weeks ago they were sort of pre-rut.

Posted By: tbone76

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/17/11 01:12 AM

I'm hunting between Early and Zephyer and we are overloaded with does/fawns and a few small bucks. Seen a few shooter bucks but haven't seen them really chasing yet. Heading down Friday morning and hoping it is in full swing by then!

Posted By: Play Maker

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/17/11 01:16 AM

It's sloooooooooow. Very little movement.

Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/17/11 02:59 AM

Young bucks were starting to chase last weekend, but the doe weren't ready yet in north brown county.

Posted By: thesureshot

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/17/11 04:16 AM

Im in north Brown county and I've yet to see a doe, one little 4 pointer....whats happening here? First year without winter wheat in the fields, wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/17/11 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: thesureshot
Im in north Brown county and I've yet to see a doe, one little 4 pointer....whats happening here? First year without winter wheat in the fields, wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Our wheat fields didn't get planted this year, but neither did any of the surrounding properties. We did have some of last year's start growing though. Where you hunting at? I'm south of Cross Plains east of Hwy 279.

Posted By: Team By-God

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/17/11 02:58 PM

im near grosvenor and we have several good bucks coming in an a few spikes and some does on camera. last time i saw a pic with 4 does at one time at feeder so i know we got al least 4 , but have seen only bucks while hunting..

Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/17/11 07:26 PM

We have had tons of does on camera and been seeing some. Saturday morning we saw three nice bucks, but nothing to take on opening morning!

Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/17/11 08:20 PM

North Brown County/South Comanche County. Big bucks have been wandering and checking does since Halloween weekend. Does are shying away from feeders since about the same time because young bucks pestering them. Sunday AM hunt had an extremely nice 4-5 year old high 130ish eight pointer that I had not seen previously come in trailing a doe and then took off full blown dogging another doe that popped out. He never got within bow range but he was definitely a shooter that had not been in that area. I can’t wait to get back in my sets this weekend to see where we are…and what shows up.

Posted By: treeman

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/17/11 08:24 PM

been sseing young ones pestering the does. Did see see a good 10 following a doe last week. should be good for next few weeks

Posted By: thesureshot

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/18/11 02:58 AM

Drop Tine, Im just south of Rising Star before May...the small 4 point was with a young 8 basket barely legal if that...but no does....

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/18/11 03:02 AM

Where are all of yall at? Were 8 miles out of Cross Plains in May...

Posted By: AP

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/18/11 05:17 AM

its nice to heat people are close to us. Maybe we all need to meet in zepher and eat breakfast. thanksgiving weekend would be good for me who is in?

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/18/11 11:47 AM

Our place is off of CR 120 south of Cross Cut. I usually eat lunch on saturdays at Chili's in Brownwood. Anybody want to meet up?

Posted By: Play Maker

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/18/11 01:25 PM

I am located between May and Blanket. Movement in the area has picked up considerably over the last couple of days. It should be a good weekend with a great deal of activity.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/18/11 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Play Maker
I am located between May and Blanket. Movement in the area has picked up considerably over the last couple of days. It should be a good weekend with a great deal of activity.

That's good news......Headed out there this afternoon

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/18/11 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Drop Tine
Originally Posted By: Play Maker

That's good news......Headed out there this afternoon

I hope that's the case... Get off at 4:15 and going to be on the road by 5:00! Super excited as usual!

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/19/11 05:00 PM

I seen 7 doe and a spike this morning. No pics on camera all week of mature bucks.

Posted By: jackwabbit2

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/19/11 09:29 PM

Lots of deer moving this morning drop tine we are close to one another

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/20/11 12:33 AM

Seen the same deer as I did this morning

Posted By: Bullet

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/20/11 02:48 AM

I posted this on the Comanche County post: They are rutting in Brown County. Saw 2 different bucks working does today. One had a doe penned up next to the fence behind the house and one was cutting a doe in a grain field tonight. Blanket area.

Posted By: whtbeard

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/20/11 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By: AP
its nice to heat people are close to us. Maybe we all need to meet in zepher and eat breakfast. thanksgiving weekend would be good for me who is in?

We must be close, I'm down 590 a few miles. Too many family type will be at farm so maybe catch you another weekend.
Just got back today, no eating at feeder by the deer either they are the chased or the one chasing. Lots of movement last few days.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/20/11 04:01 AM

one small buck did a fly by the feeder this morning for us and one forkhorn came to another feeder for hunting partner. very little on cameras since opening weekend...

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/20/11 04:41 AM

Saw the biggest buck of my life tonight. I was sitting in a stand watching 360 degrees around and see a tiny little sixer run out, so small that I thought he was a doe at first. I watch him for a minute through my binocs on our neighbors place (No, NOBODY hunts there so don't start with the fence line crap). Next thing I know walks out a buck about the size of a calf. All I could see was the body for a couple minutes and then he stepped out for a split second. All I could count was ten. Then the little boy made the mistake of running up on him and it wasn't pretty! Needless to say I am still dumbfounded and could care less what happens all year, that was awesome!! And I think it's safe to say guys, ruts here!

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/20/11 12:01 PM

i hate the rut , guess i will come back when the start thinkin about eating again instead of other things...

Posted By: Jeremy6262005

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/20/11 02:53 PM

I'm in Burkett just west of cross cut on the county line and I don't see anything that makes me think the rut is here. I had 15 doe in the field last night but didn't see any horns. I haven't seen horns all weekend.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/20/11 04:28 PM

I seen 1 doe at 7 45 am and thats it. She only stayed for a couple minutes.

Posted By: 160_Class

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/21/11 05:54 AM

I'm in southern Brown County. Rut is on. Saw 9 different bucks today. All had their noses to the ground, mouth open and following the same trail. Had two shooter bucks come out, but let them walk so my son will have a shot at one, hopefully...

Had 4 bucks that would've gone over the AR requirements. Most of these bucks haven't been seen around our place all season. Good Luck Fellas.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/21/11 12:00 PM

Seen 4 doe yesterday evening.....zero bucks!!!! What the heck is going on at our place???

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/22/11 01:26 AM

13 doe and a spike this afternoon. No chasing yet

Posted By: meandthewife

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/22/11 01:46 AM

AP I would be in but I won't be down we are going down tomorrow. I will let yall know what we see.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/23/11 02:22 AM

Seen some chasing this am, but it was freakin yotes. Last mistake they 'll ever make. Busted my hunt, so I put 130 grains of ttsx in both of them. Got one of them in the eye, made a nasty mess!!!

Posted By: D Red Raider

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/23/11 03:58 AM

Reporting from western Brown county - west of Thrifty near the Jim Ned. We're seeing several nice young bucks chousting does but no shooter-sized bucks yet. I live on the Lake and I saw a mature buck Sunday afternoon chasing a doe. He was crazy in love. I drove down to where I saw him cross the road and he was just standing there looking at me, then back at the doe, back and forth... he wasn't going to let me scare him away from his new girl friend.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/23/11 11:53 AM

Maybe our bucks are just shy and are waiting for the doe to chase them?
Headed out again, report whem I get back.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/23/11 03:02 PM

Had 7 doe at the feeder and a nice 8 came by to check them, ate corn for 5 min or so and left. Doe left after the fog lifted, but I could still see some deer moving in the brush. At around 8am, the 8 came back out at another spot(350 yards out) and ate corn for a few minutes and then left out again. I believe the bucks are starting to get horny now. Should be great this weekend with the cold front.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/23/11 06:35 PM

Were leaving Friday morning... Lets hope so!

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/23/11 08:30 PM

Went out this am and saw a large bodied deer 200+ yards away. Couldn't see the head and horns because of the fog. Got the pics off the game cam and could tell it had some horns, but couldn't tell how good he was. Going back out in a few with my son, trying to get his first buck on the ground.

Good Luck Fellas, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/27/11 10:16 PM

Any updates fellas??? I've been busy at work since Thanksgiving day and haven't had a chance to be hunting. Anyone do any good over the holiday??

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/27/11 11:12 PM

I got a couple yotes. Seen alot of does and a few small bucks, but nothing mature.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/28/11 12:28 AM

the 2 other people that hunt our place were there all week (grosvenor), he saw a 4 point last saturday night and shot a doe wednesday morning and that was the only 2 deer they saw all week. hogs are nocturnal now.. gonna give it a few weeks and head down and see if theyre back at feeders. hopefully they arent all staying at the lake state park.. its not far and i hear its a nice place to stay oct thru mid jan if your a deer..

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/28/11 02:27 AM

Only deer we saw this weekend was a big ole 5 or 6 year old spike. One Of the kids got his first buck! Other than that we saw nothing but wind, not even a hog!

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/30/11 01:35 PM

Any updates???

Posted By: General CT

Re: Brown County Report.... - 11/30/11 03:37 PM

I sure hope to have a really good update on Dec. 8th when I finally get a chance to get back down there, last hunt was bow opener

Hunt just outside of Zephyr.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 12/02/11 03:07 AM

Checked the camera this afternoon, had does and small bucks eating together again. I guess our 1st rut was during the full moon, warm weather, and windy days. Did their business at night probably. Had a doe group come in this afternoon right at dark. If a doe shows up manana, i'm gonna give her a ride to the cabin in the back of my truck.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 12/03/11 03:04 AM

Don't know whats going on around our place. Lots of corn on the ground, have been seeing at least two deer a day, but now nothing. I have been seeing a lot of new coyote sign and hearing them a lot in the late afternoon. There is even a new big coyote dig under the fence going into the high fence place next door, coming off our place. Think the yotes could be messing with the deer movement??

Posted By: Texmel

Re: Brown County Report.... - 12/03/11 01:44 PM

My lease is along Pecan Bayou in Brown County and plenty of coyotes. They don't seem to be affecting deer movement. Though don't have the number of fawns this year that we have had in past but attribute that to the lack of rainfall.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 12/03/11 04:51 PM

Well, I decided to drop a fat doe this morning before the rain started. Live weight was 117 lbs and very healthy.... we still have 12 more does to shoot to make our mld quota. I got some meat for the freezer, so now I can go back to searching for one of the big boys. I did notice this morning, since I had shot and was already down there retrieving my doe, there are fresh rubs and scrapes showing up everywhere. Maybe this cold front will bring the bigguns out!!!

Re: Brown County Report.... - 12/08/11 04:15 PM

Any updates?

Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Brown County Report.... - 12/08/11 07:39 PM

Was hoping you would have the updates, DT.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 12/09/11 05:05 PM

Seen 7 doe and a 3.5 yr old 8 pt yesterday afternoon, he didn't care about the does till all the corn was gone. He then, chased several doe around with nose to the ground. Stopped back at the feeder and did a lip curl, and then nose back to the ground and off he went. Seen 10 doe again this am, but no bucks.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 12/09/11 06:23 PM

did the snow make it out that direction earlier this week??

Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Brown County Report.... - 12/09/11 08:28 PM

There was some snow left in a few shady spots on Wednesday AM and tanks had thin ice on them. All gone by now I bet.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 12/12/11 03:02 AM

Our landowner said we did get snow and good rain this past week. We saw several does and a nice 2 year old 6 point. Not a shooter yet but will be if he lives a couple more years!

Re: Brown County Report.... - 12/12/11 03:41 AM

Sat. morning I shot a 6.5 yr old cull buck.(MLDP) Only deer that came out that morning, Sat. afternoon had 6 doe finally come out 10 minutes before dark. Sun morning I seen a big ZERO for the first time all year.

I seen the big 9 Friday afternoon 5 minutes before last light, but didn't get a shot.......maybe next time!!!

Re: Brown County Report.... - 12/22/11 12:35 AM

Wrapped up rifle season with an 8 pt buck and 2 does. Overall saw 27 bucks and 95 does. Most of the bucks were 4 or 6 point with a few 8 point not legal. About 8-9 were legal. Hopefully the yo0ung bucks will grow into big ones in 3-4 yrs. Did not get a look at one of the big one other than on camera. Maybe next year the stars will be aligned.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 12/22/11 12:41 AM

Wrapped up rifle season with an 8 pt buck and 2 does. Overall saw 27 bucks and 95 does. Most of the bucks were 4 or 6 point with a few 8 point not legal. About 8-9 were legal. Did not get a look at one of the big one other than on camera. Maybe next year the stars will be aligned.

Re: Brown County Report.... - 01/06/12 02:48 PM

Anybody been out lately? Heading back out early in the morning and was curious if any deer are being seen. Last time I went I seen nada.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum