Texas Hunting Forum

Lavaca County 2011

Posted By: Levelland

Lavaca County 2011 - 11/13/11 01:46 PM

Seems really quiet this year. Obviously we always rut early, but I have never heard so few gunshots on opening weekend (gun season) as we did this year. We are near Sweet Home. Anyone else from the area having a better experience? Think it is drought-related and we might get more late-season activity than usual?

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Lavaca County 2012 - 11/13/11 01:49 PM

The rains we got later on this year have really greened things up. The deer are not having to move as much and this full moon has them moving at night. When the rut starts they will move.

Re: Lavaca County 2012 - 11/13/11 02:27 PM

Thanks. Good point on the recent rains. Moonlight is what I am thinking too- in terms of what the problem is right now. Our rut is early unless the drought alters it this year so I am not sure we can still count on that. Any bow hunters out there? Do you feel like he rut happened in October as usual, and was it as strong as most years?

Posted By: elmata

Re: Lavaca County 2012 - 11/13/11 05:55 PM

In the same area and haven't seen anything legal to shoot. I'm only seeing movement at around 740 am and again about 6 pm and later in the night. Most of what I have seen have been does and a 4 pointer over and over. I shot an armadillo Friday about 4 pm other than that with this moon I don't even see much hog movement until 3&4 am.

Re: Lavaca County 2012 - 11/13/11 10:57 PM

Sounds very familiar. We had a couple of nice bucks running around in October, but not seeing them now. Hoping for better luck near Thanksgiving and a new moon. Thought the drought (lack of food supply) would keep them coming to the feeders this year but I guess that recent rain hurt- like stxrancher said. Thanks

Posted By: FiftySix

Re: Lavaca County 2012 - 11/14/11 12:03 AM

I had good movement just over the line in DeWitt County the week BEFORE rifle season opened... Saw a nice tall 8 point yesterday morning, but by the time I was able to confirm the width he had moved close enough that I had to freeze (hunting from an open ground blind). He looked straight at me as he went by, figured I didn't belong (even if I wasn't moving), and then he bolted off. I'm now in the market for a better set of optics...

Posted By: HER-MAN

Re: Lavaca County 2012 - 11/14/11 02:49 PM

I hunt around Mont have only seen a 6 and few does in four weeks.

Re: Lavaca County 2012 - 11/16/11 01:46 AM

Off topic but in this area there's a group of about 14 hogs I got one about 3 weeks ago. I checked the cam today when I got home there'sa small 8 point that's illegal but I'm waiting now for the hogs if I can't shoot a buck I'm shooting something. I'm sure they must hit your feeders too.

Posted By: blackdog64-79

Re: Lavaca County 2012 - 11/16/11 02:24 AM

i am headed out this weekend to Cuero. I will be reporting live from the stand.

Posted By: FiftySix

Re: Lavaca County 2012 - 11/16/11 02:43 AM

I haven't seen any hogs at my place nor my cousin's ranch on the other side of Yoakum. But if one shows up it's down.

Re: Lavaca County 2011 - 11/16/11 01:22 PM

Got another sow last night they are hitting the feeder around 10:30 pm. Have a pic but no idea how to post also I have noticed another buck looks like a 6 pointer but AR once again makes it a nogo. It's a decent sized buck but like all of them in this area that I have seen the rack is tall and narrow.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum