Texas Hunting Forum

Injured Deer

Posted By: porkysnightmare

Injured Deer - 11/06/11 09:25 PM

What are the rules of dispatching an injured deer without a license? Mine expired 2 days ago and I hesitated taking a young spike with a shattered front leg which allowed him enough time to find a low spot and slide under a barbed wire fence. I feel bad that the coyotes will probably have their way with him, but a fine int what I need at the moment. Yalls thoughts?

Posted By: ACKHNTR

Re: Injured Deer - 11/06/11 09:28 PM

Wardens discretion, could possibly survive though have seen many deer survive leg injuries.

Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Injured Deer - 11/06/11 09:33 PM

Report it to local GW, and let him tell you what to do.

Posted By: furdown

Re: Injured Deer - 11/06/11 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: porkysnightmare
What are the rules of dispatching an injured deer without a license? Mine expired 2 days ago and I hesitated taking a young spike with a shattered front leg which allowed him enough time to find a low spot and slide under a barbed wire fence. I feel bad that the coyotes will probably have their way with him, but a fine int what I need at the moment. Yalls thoughts?

Hold up, how did you liscense expire 2 days ago. They run from Sep. 1 to Aug 31.

Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Injured Deer - 11/06/11 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: furdown
Originally Posted By: porkysnightmare

Hold up, how did you liscense expire 2 days ago. They run from Sep. 1 to Aug 31.

I caught that one too, but figured I would leave it alone.

Posted By: DHuggins

Re: Injured Deer - 11/06/11 09:44 PM

Skinks like spam!

Re: Injured Deer - 11/06/11 10:58 PM

Sorry...wasnt 2 days...meant months and I'm not a spammer there guys

Posted By: Czechaholic

Re: Injured Deer - 11/06/11 11:14 PM

scratch

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Injured Deer - 11/06/11 11:18 PM

Deer are pretty tough animals capable of surviving broken legs and gun/archery shots quite often. Like posted call the GW and explain it to him. If not buy a license and do it legally then.

Re: Injured Deer - 11/06/11 11:31 PM

Usually have my license but this years been hard on the wallet and haven't thought about hunting deer much this year. It was a whim even seeing this guy on the place anyways...they have had it for 5 years and this was the second deer sighting. The yotes are very viscous and have already taken a calf a few months ago. Just thought is ask what others would have done. Thanks for thinkin I'm a spammer for a typo fellers.

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Injured Deer - 11/07/11 01:06 AM

You may dispatch an injured animal on your property or property that you have permission to do such things, but you cannot retain any portion of it.

Re: Injured Deer - 11/07/11 01:11 AM

[quote=LandPirate]You may dispatch an injured animal on your property or property that you have permission to do such things, but you cannot retain any portion of it. [/quote

Didn't know about that, I'm gunna have to do some research on it. Doesn't sound right but I'm not saying its wrong, "yet"!!

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Injured Deer - 11/07/11 01:16 AM

Let me clarify...you may retain the deer if you're legally licensed and you tag the deer.

Posted By: DIME BOX DEER CAMP

Re: Injured Deer - 11/07/11 02:41 AM

I have seen plenty of time when the GW will just give to you had happen to me once. A call wouldn't hurt. flag

Re: Injured Deer - 11/07/11 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Let me clarify...you may retain the deer if you're legally licensed and you tag the deer.

I agree with that statement but im pretty sure if you kill it, legally you are supposed to burn a tag. Unless given permission by a warden.

Re: Injured Deer - 11/07/11 12:35 PM

Thank you for the info...I now have a GW number saved to my phone for such times

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum