Texas Hunting Forum

Rate your opening weekend?

Posted By: Texas Dan

Rate your opening weekend? - 11/06/11 03:51 PM

One a scale from 1 to 5 with 5 being the best, rate your opening weekend of the gun season.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/06/11 03:54 PM

No category for me. I took pics and looked for culls. So it was a total success just being outdoors.

Posted By: Cborden

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/06/11 03:57 PM

No category for me either..I've had to work all weekend running around ranches checking oil and gas wells..I have however seen alot of deer.

Posted By: MathMan

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/06/11 05:37 PM

I saw about 50 doe all very young. Tons of doe had twins too. About 15 4 pointers. 10 6 pointers and 3 8 pointers. All deer were only about 1 to 3 years old.

The neighbors have leased their land for 6 years to some out of town hunters. Ever since then each year the deer are younger and younger. Then one guy had to talk to me and was an a hole!!! I swear they shoot everything legal. This year I will be there every morning and weekend and watch them closely for illegal activity. Pissed me off!!!

Posted By: DeerTamales

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/06/11 05:45 PM

I've had a great weekend. We have eaten some awesome food, spent stress free time with friends, drank cold beer, and as a bonus shot a nice buck. Good times up

Posted By: swmays

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/06/11 06:29 PM

My season doesn't start till Tuesday... crying

Posted By: Czechaholic

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/06/11 08:58 PM

No category.....saw quite a few deer, just nothing I was looking for!

Posted By: 7mag

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/06/11 09:01 PM

Mine hasn't started so it has been lousy, gonna get better though next weekend

Posted By: luvpigmeet

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/06/11 09:10 PM

Mine starts the Monday after Thanksgiving. Have two days off,Monday&Tuesday.Best days to be in the woods. So darn many hunters looks like a pumpkin patch in the woods. Floresent Orange mandatory. Still love it though!

Posted By: Jerimy

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/06/11 09:53 PM

I seen two deer all weekend two 8 points they where both hanging in the skinning rack other than that nothing Oh well I get em next time.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/06/11 09:59 PM

Took a decent deer... Saw some deer, I'm more upset I saw 2 hogs and they're still alive.

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/06/11 10:12 PM

No category for me, saw lots of deer, just didn't see the one we (grandson) wanted, it was great, whacked me a hog with my bow.

Posted By: RedRaider03

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 01:06 AM

Runnels county report - just south of Winters - lots of trucks, heard some good sounding hard hitting shots- saw a total of 1 - 4point buck Sunday morning, other than that - wind had em laid up i guess (am hoping), cause didn't see shart! it was great to be out there though!

I am hoping for a great hunt in December, Houston boy here, hard to get all the way up there on a whim.

Hope they come back, the deer we have seen are pretty poor, but every now and then a healthy one comes on cam.

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 01:14 AM

No category for me. I saw 9 yearlings at the feeder Saturday. No bucks or does. Sunday we saw nothing. One guy stuck an arrow in a pretty good sized hog Saturday afternoon.

Posted By: aeb

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 02:20 AM

Somewhere between a 3 and 4 for the guys on my places. I should also say gals because one of the wifes took a hog. Considering that most of 2011 was the Year From Hell and all the wind yesterday, this seems to be a good start.

Posted By: EastTexP

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 02:24 AM

no catagory for me either I'm moving so been packing/cleaning all weekend frown

Posted By: dawson55

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 02:41 AM

Voted best buck ever, but I didnt shoot one my daughter did. So that don't fit but the 5 does.

Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 03:07 AM

I saw 8 total deer. 3 doe, 3 spikes, 2 fawns. I invited a friend and told him he could shoot anything that wasn't a deer. He ends up seeing the buck I'm after this morning. I chose the wrong blind. haha At least it's early. I really hope the neighbors don't get him first.

Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 03:10 AM

Forgot to mention that it sounded like WWIII on our neighbor's ranch. I must have heard other 30 shots from them this weekend, including at least 10 shots on Saturday night around 11pm.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 03:24 AM

I spent the opening weekend with my best friend. He may not have too many left in him so each one is special regardless of the deer hunting.

Posted By: southtexascracker

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 03:55 AM

Slow weekend in Live Oak Co. About 40 deer total, 1 young 10, 1 nine about 140" and some decent 8s. Lots of hogs and more turkeys than I can shake a stick at. Did get some good trail cam scouting done and will be back next weekend. Need cooler less windy weather.

Did end up harvesting about 30 miller lites and shiner bocks.

Posted By: rkcurbow

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 02:46 PM

I saw deer, just nothing worth shooting.

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 02:58 PM

My son rattled up an 8,10 inch spread.I rattled up an 8 13-14" spread,my brother saw a 10 pt but a young deer.Shot a hog with an arrow stuck in it's jaw.Good weekend all around.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 03:03 PM

I'd say 7.5 to 8. Tons of activity, saw a couple of shooters, but couldn't get a bead on either of them.

Even had 1 last buck run across the road in front of us as we were filling the feeder on our way out.

Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 03:04 PM

I mostly spent my time watching the deer and trying to assess the condition of the herd. Surprisingly, they look like they are in pretty good shape. The range conditions in McCulloch County are very poor. We need rain in a desperate way.

Posted By: T4PL

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 03:18 PM

Not a good poll. I didn't see any deer but I'm glad I went out. You need to have that catagory.

Posted By: Birdog62

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 03:49 PM

Wind had every thing holed up Saturday and my mother passed away about 8:00 pm Saturday evening had to return home. We had her 2 months longer than the doctors said, God rest her soul she is in a better place.

Posted By: 1txarsy

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 03:49 PM

No category for me either. Did not get to go for various stupid reasons. But here is what I heard about the lease for the weekend. My first year on this lease. There are 5 of us. One guy apparently is like, if its brown its down. Youth week he took his grandson and shot a young 6. This weekend he took a young 6, a spike, and was trying to shoot up the turkeys as well. I was told he had a shotgun, a 22, and his deer rifle in the stand with him! Ugh! Not good.

Posted By: kagomez85

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 03:50 PM

Birdog prayers go out to you and your family always rough losing a loved one

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 03:52 PM

Got out yesterday had a great time...passed up on a decent 8..and shot two pigs...figured out i shoulda been duck huntin though since my deer stand looks over my hole...sky was black

Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 04:29 PM

We saw 3 or 4 nice bucks and tons of does! Hoping it was the wind that had them laid up!

Posted By: bigbuck1

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 04:36 PM

I had a pretty good week-end. Lots of good food and company. I shot a nine point (16") spread Sunday even at 5:30pm.

Posted By: longone

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: T4PL
Not a good poll. I didn't see any deer but I'm glad I went out. You need to have that catagory.

Just didn't move during "normal" hunting times.. saw deer moving during the middle of the day. With an 8 year old in the stand his sitting time was limited.

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 05:30 PM

Took a doe with my boy so it was good. Where's the doe category? I did get a buck but he ran into my truck on the way up. Could have been bad but didn't do any damage. He probably made it since it was a partial hit on the back. Neighbor shot a giant buck.

Posted By: Tatsun

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 06:12 PM

I had a pretty decent weekend in Palo Pinto County. Saw a few deer, one spike, one 6 point, and a bunch of does. My 6 yr old got his first deer this past opening day in the afternoon with the wind kicking up and everything. All of the deer looked surprisingly well and healthy, and the doe my son shot was nice and fat and healthy. Great weekend!

Posted By: possom813

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 06:18 PM

Got my first doe of the season around 7a on Sat. Back at the house for breakfast grin

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Tatsun
I had a pretty decent weekend in Palo Pinto County. Saw a few deer, one spike, one 6 point, and a bunch of does. My 6 yr old got his first deer this past opening day in the afternoon with the wind kicking up and everything. All of the deer looked surprisingly well and healthy, and the doe my son shot was nice and fat and healthy. Great weekend!

Holy cow! Congrats on the doe. This was my first time to shoot a deer with my 6 yo in the blind. How does yours shoulder a rifle? Are his arms really long? My 6 year old is barely big enough to shoulder a red ryder bb gun.

Posted By: BenBob

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 06:32 PM

I rate my opening weekend definitely better than the week that preceded it.

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 06:45 PM

It was decent on our lease. Not like last year though. I saw a decent 10. At least it was not a crab claw 10. Son shot a 15" Axis and I passed on a 30"+. I saw a far number of does and 2 yearlings both of whih still had some visible spots. Sunday morning was slow but it might be because of all the racket I made early on. I dumped some corn around my feeder and before I could even settle in the blind there were 2 sows and 2 piglets. I had my 22 auto but it did not load one in the chamber when I cocked it. It is missing the doohicky on the bolt so I tried using my sling off my big rifle. I finally had to climb down and get the handle off the corn bucket. I got a shell chambered and let them have it. Pigs are coming to feeders big time. Bucks were starting to chase.

Posted By: SATX

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 06:57 PM

Just got back from my lease after this morning's hunt and I still have yet to see anything other than birds.

Bow season was a bust. Bucks were still nocturnal.

Opening day I heard over rifle 10 shots. Nothing was posted in the kill log..... scratch Either guys are cheating this year or they needed to spend much more time at the range before the opener. 1 heavy bodied 8 point was taken by my buddy late yesterday afternoon. So far that is the only rifle buck, other than a smaller 8 taken on the youth hunt at the end of last month.

Most of my guys are still only active at night. So, I will be back out there this afternoon if it doesn't rain......

Posted By: MarkG

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 07:12 PM

It was our best in several years, with the heat and wind I don't know why ? We saw more deer and some rut activity , killed a buck and saw many hogs and does. Overall good start.

Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 08:51 PM

Saw quite a few deer......maybe 25-30 over about two full days. Saw a few bucks chasing including one pretty nice 8 pt. which was young but has potential. No deer down for our group as we're pretty picky, but did take four hogs and two coyotes.

Didn't see a place for my weekend in the voting, but I'd give it a 4 overall.

Posted By: conruski

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 09:15 PM

Seen plenty of deer...just nothing I could shoot!! I did see a Bobcat but it made me before I could glass it! Also, I tried a different approach from what I am use too...I actually walked to my area and sat in some brush man o man I have never been so close to a Deer(6pt)it took every fiber in my body to keep from blasting it! Instead, I pulled out my cell phone and video it within 25ft and it didn't even bat an eye.

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 09:22 PM

didn't go out yet crying

Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 09:23 PM

Shot a turkey, big buck, and a boar in one day so it went great!

Posted By: Earl

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 09:41 PM

Still hunting - in the stand now. I keep picking the wrong place to hunt. If I hunt Bryson my cameras show a shooter was at Loving and vice versa. This has happened 3 or 4 times allready. I can't complain - at least they are there and we will eventually meet. Have seen at least 14 deer including one shooter (busted rack) would have been an 8. Three 6s a 4 and the rest doe and yearlings. Will hunt tonight and in am then back to work until friday when we do it agsin (hopefully less the damn wind). Good luck all. Earl

Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/07/11 11:39 PM

Saw several deer! Doe & Buck. Biggest legal(?) buck never stepped out where I could be sure - didn't shoot. Saw several nice doe but just wasn't in the mood - didn't shoot. .....also saw about a dozen nice turkeys - didn't shoot! Hey it's only first weekend, something will walk by (I did get pictures of the doe and turkeys)

Scale of 1 to 10 ..... probably a 7.5 or 8

Posted By: Jack Todd

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/08/11 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: jensent
Shot a turkey, big buck, and a boar in one day so it went great!

HF? seems to much to do on a low fence, right guys?

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/08/11 01:02 AM

I saw 12 deer and a skunk cant say it was a wasted trip

Posted By: Mr Sinister

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/08/11 01:57 AM

Went out opening day saw 2 Does, one of them had a young one with her. overall it was good to be out there. Wife saw 2 Does and one Buck but could not see how good it was. He snorted and bolted before she could get a better look. Sunday, Had 4 Does come in within 40 yds of the stand. This morning saw a huge buck cross the road in front of my truck but nothing from my stand. Going back next weekend after the cool front comes through.

We had a great time ! It was nice to get outdoors as always ! cheers

Posted By: jgedmond

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/09/11 04:27 AM

Originally Posted By: possom813
Got my first doe of the season around 7a on Sat. Back at the house for breakfast grin

Same here, except around 7:30am. I'm a real (old) newbie, first deer hunt and kill at 56 years old! Going after a couple of nice bucks I've seen next.

Posted By: Rafter F

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/09/11 05:03 AM

Prayers for peace to you and your family Birdog.

Posted By: Jim Davis

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/09/11 05:22 AM

Mine sucked. I had/have to work through doe season.

Posted By: Jim Davis

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/09/11 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Birdog62
Wind had every thing holed up Saturday and my mother passed away about 8:00 pm Saturday evening had to return home. We had her 2 months longer than the doctors said, God rest her soul she is in a better place.

Man. Sorry to hear that. Wish i could say something to help, but time is the best thing for you. I'll include you in my prayers tonight.

Posted By: tightlines24

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/09/11 05:52 AM

I killed my best buck ever and that includes a bunch of deer. He was a beautiful 10pt and measured 20.5 inches inside. What amazed me me most was how fat he was. Over an inch of fat on his butt. Drought has not had a bad effect on the deer where I hunt as of now. Saw more bucks than does and many of them have tremendous promise over the next few years. Will cull a buck when it cools and chase turkeys and take lots of pictures the rest of the way.

Posted By: LoonMan

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/09/11 07:30 PM

Best buck ever for me. Buddy shot a hog and i brought it home and smoked it at work. Also shot a coyote at my feeder. DANG good weekend.

Posted By: taking5kidshunting

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/09/11 10:45 PM

Opening weekend was great for us!!! My wife, 3 of my kids, and I were at the cabin for the entire weekend. Thanks to my 11 and 13 year old harvesting deer on youth weekend and one buck taken during bow season we didn't have to worry about meat. We saw more deer on our place than ever before. The bucks still were not running the does but I had a nice 8 point come within 10 feet of my blind and could hear him breathing. We saw 4 legal bucks but they were young. Also saw two very young spikes fighting with their heads and hoofs....up on the hind legs throwing punches. Also saw the most scrawny Bobcat I have ever seen but still fun. Just wish my other two kids could have been there with us. Saw a total of 30 deer...pretty good for East Texas. The young bucks are looking very healthy. Good times by all at our camp!!!! When the wife and kids WANT to come hunting it's good even if we don't see anything. Taking the young'uns out of school Friday for a 3 day hunt this weekend also. Good luck everyone.

Posted By: Curly

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/09/11 10:50 PM

It SUCKED! I saw no deer from Saturday through Tuesday. And yes, I hunted.

Posted By: Troglodyte

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/09/11 11:19 PM

Birdog and I had similar days. Buried my brother. Did swing by the lease on the long trip home to do a little tending to the feeders. Took my rifle with the thought of maybe heading out Sunday morning but sleep was really what I needed and what I took advantage of.

It was still a nice day to get out and tinker for a few hours even if I didn't pull the trigger. Just being out in God's great creation can do a lot of therapy.

Posted By: taking5kidshunting

Re: Rate your opening weekend? - 11/09/11 11:55 PM

Hey Troglodyte...sorry to hear about your brother. I lost mine to bone cancer in 2004...best hunting buddy I've ever had other than my wife and kids. He was up in Michigan but came to Texas to hunt with us at our places in Atascosa and Leon Counties at least twice a year even when he could hardly walk. Cherish the good memories of your time with him and we'll be prayin' for you. Time does heal but it still hurts.

My son still hunts with my brothers gun even though he has a much better one. May God give you comfort and peace while you grieve the loss of your brother.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum