Texas Hunting Forum

Another Eastland County live hunt

Posted By: Tye

Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/28/11 10:12 PM

Just got in the blind. I'm scouting for some mature bucks and pigs. I have a few friends coming down tonight. The main hunt will start tomorrow morning. We might do some night hog hunting though. Will see. If pigs show up tonight, they are getting shot in the face....

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/28/11 10:25 PM

Spike and 9 point just showed up

Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/28/11 10:45 PM

Are you out by that WMA? I took a drive out there last week and that WMA covers a lot of acres (so it seems). Got to see the Phoenix Ranch, Cook Canyon and Doc Simpson's place - the Lazy 8. Good-looking country out that way. Too bad I'm stuck at work all wekend, but this is my last weekend before I start a M-F gig on the 14th.

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/28/11 11:05 PM

Had 2-8s, a mature 10, for and a fawn. The wind swirled, and they are gone! Thought HF deer were tame ....not. I got out and headed over to a bluff that looks over a feeder I have outside the fence on the Leon. Pigs have been hitting it, so I got the 7mm ready to go. I haven't seen anything yet. Don't know if the feeder went off.

We are pretty close to the cook canyon ranch. Jay Novaceks place wad around the corner from that ranch too.

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/28/11 11:07 PM

Doc simpsons place might be jays old place if I heard correctly. Is it HFed?

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/28/11 11:12 PM

Pig just showed up and the 7mm barked. Can't confirm kill yet.

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/28/11 11:22 PM

RRRUUUUFFFF? Simpson's place isn't HF I don't think....could have been JN's place, I'll ask him up here at the hospital. His kiddos are big in the show-steer/calf/bull circuits through FFA, etc... What's the deal on the WMA out there? Is it huntable? (maybe you should PM that answer back to keep these THF vultures at bay)

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/28/11 11:28 PM

I'm not aware of the WMA? Is it near cook canyon? I thought I heard a doctor bought it. Not 100% on which one. You work at the hospital in eastland?

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/28/11 11:28 PM

popcorn worthless

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/28/11 11:30 PM

There was a coop named Colony Creek WMA. But it's no longer. It was all private property

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/28/11 11:37 PM

I don't remember the name of the WMA but I'll make another run out that way. I'll run it by Doc Simpson and see what he say's. I think he buys up little tracts out there from the old-timers. He's a good guy - local surgeon here in town.

Yes, I work on the acute care floor at Eastland Memorial Hospital.

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/29/11 12:34 AM

Got the pig. Pic comes tomorrow. Only have 1 bar so not enough reception to post it

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/29/11 12:36 AM

Cool, I'm in RT school right now at weatherford

Posted By: NDN98

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/29/11 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Tye
Got the pig. Pic comes tomorrow. Only have 1 bar so not enough reception to post it

Good shooting Tye!

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/29/11 02:17 AM

There sure a lot of goop that comes with RT......but we have our share too. I'll have to find out about that WMA out there. Can't wait to see the pics of the pig maņana.

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/29/11 01:40 PM

Buck down. Had to clear out some hogs on the way to the blind. Awesome morning

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/29/11 01:46 PM

Congrats and details popcorn

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/29/11 01:49 PM

popcorn

Posted By: BMD

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/29/11 01:50 PM

Congrats!

Posted By: Rockinmyshoe

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/29/11 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Tye
Buck down. Had to clear out some hogs on the way to the blind. Awesome morning

Congrats, always nice to have some pork with your venison. up

Posted By: TAT

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/29/11 01:57 PM

Cool deal. Congrats.

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/29/11 05:14 PM

I have my friends out that own Tacpro shooting range. His wife shot the buck and he cleared the pigs with his suppressed AR on the way to the blind this am. She shot the buck with a Accuracy International 308 and made a perfect shot.

The wind was swirling again this am. Had a large broken up 8 come in, but he winded us and split.

I went to move the hog I shot last night and it was gone. Something drug it off about 40 yards from where it was. I do have pics, but can't post them till tomorrow when I have more than 3 bars of signal.

Will be back out this afternoon to look for some more things to hunt

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/30/11 03:16 AM

No major shooters tonight. We did take out a coyote though

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/30/11 11:51 AM

Sounds like fun.I have to go back to Dallas this morning,DRAG.Wife has a dinner party planned.Oh well,after next thursday I'll be tough to find.

Posted By: NDN98

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt - 10/30/11 08:28 PM

Any pics from yesterdays kills?

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt(pics added) - 10/30/11 09:31 PM

Just got home. I slept in this am but I did drive around looking for pigs but didn't see any.

Here is the pig I shot Friday night Stxranchman grin

went back to take a better pic the next day at noon and found this

did some searching and found the remains. Something cleaned it up from 6:30 or so friday evening till 12:00 next day

Here is one of the pigs we had to shoot to get to the blind on Saturday morning. Gotta love suppressors. Didn't ruin the hunt.

Here is the buck that she shot

We didn't see any big shooters on Saturday evening. My friends brought some night vision and suppressors for a late night hog hunt but nothing showed. Here is the coyote she shot during that afternoon hunt.

Time to start cleaning out some of these corn thieves

It was a great weekend for sure even though the wind didn't cooperate.

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt(pics added) - 10/31/11 01:24 AM

Great weekend it looks like with lots of targets for you and your guests. I think that one coyote has a few buddies you need to get if they ate that hog in one night.

Re: Another Eastland County live hunt(pics added) - 10/31/11 02:05 AM

I have never seen so many coyotes as compared to years past. We might see one or two a year. Within the last year to year and a half I have snared around 12 of them. Two weeks ago we saw 3 and only got 2 of them. And then this young one showed up last night.

I hear alot of yotes around us but not as many on our place. That hog was outside the fence. There must be a ton of them out there. I even put a camera on a hog carcass last year and only had 2 pics of yotes.

I have heard from other people that they are seeing more coyotes this year too

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum