Texas Hunting Forum

Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place.

Posted By: iluv2hunt

Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 10/27/11 06:44 AM

Post em up. Our deer just north of Coleman show signs of the drought. Antlers are smaller this year. I'd like to hear what other Coleman county hunters have observed in their deer herd.

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 10/27/11 09:01 AM

Here are a couple pic's I have from this year:

These 2 pic's are from the 1st morning after I put out my camera. I'm going this weekend and switch out the SD cards ans see what else I have. This particular feeder is a 110 gallon feeder. I have another feeder and camera I am going to check as well. I'll post some pic's when I get back home to see what has shown up since 10-8-11.

Posted By: TijuanaTom

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 10/27/11 02:23 PM

First year in coleman county. We are about 30 min south of Coleman. I will try to get some pics up when i can.

We were seeing good numbers on the camse 2-3 months ago and then the past 3 weeks or so...poof almost gone (not really but numbers really dropped)

Posted By: Trust

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 10/27/11 02:30 PM

South of Coleman by Ivie here.

Deer are looking good with a couple skinny does and lower fawn numbers.

What I have noticed is out Turkey numbers are way down this year compared to the past.

Posted By: chicken

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 10/27/11 08:12 PM

WE ARE ALSO SOUTH OF COLEMAN AND HUNT ABOUT 5 MIN FROM IVIE.
THIS IS OUR 9TH YEAR TO HUNT THERE AND SO FOR IT LOOKS LIKE ITS GOING TO BE THE WORST.BEFORE BOW SEASON STARTED WE WERE GETTING A LOT OF PIC OF SOME REAL GOOD BUCKS.AFTER THE FIRST WEEKEND IT SEEMS LIKE THE DEER HAVE JUST DISAPPEARED.WERE NOT EVEN GETTING ANY PIC AT NIGHT.I HOPE WHEN WE GET SOME COLD WEATHER IT WILL PICK UP.

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 10/27/11 09:48 PM

Did get some pics of these blackbuck does..they came out of nowhere...

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 10/29/11 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: TijuanaTom
Did get some pics of these blackbuck does..they came out of nowhere...

I wonder how they compare to venison as far as taste. I've never eaten any. We had one on our place last year that hung out with the cows. We called him knubby cause both his horns were broke off. When the cows were moved to a different pasture he left and went to the neighbors place and hung out with his cows.

Posted By: Trust

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 10/29/11 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: chicken
WE ARE ALSO SOUTH OF COLEMAN AND HUNT ABOUT 5 MIN FROM IVIE.
THIS IS OUR 9TH YEAR TO HUNT THERE AND SO FOR IT LOOKS LIKE ITS GOING TO BE THE WORST.BEFORE BOW SEASON STARTED WE WERE GETTING A LOT OF PIC OF SOME REAL GOOD BUCKS.AFTER THE FIRST WEEKEND IT SEEMS LIKE THE DEER HAVE JUST DISAPPEARED.WERE NOT EVEN GETTING ANY PIC AT NIGHT.I HOPE WHEN WE GET SOME COLD WEATHER IT WILL PICK UP.

Chicken - Where you at on Ivie? I'm right at Padgitt park (Padgitt Ranch)

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 10/31/11 07:03 PM

I wondered about taste as well, but the majority say it tastes better than wt

Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 10/31/11 08:31 PM

We're not seeing a whole lot of anything on our place in Coleman this year. Nothing like years past.

I think the drilling activity combined with yotes making their way onto the property has sent the deer to adjacent properties.

Surprising... We had water and feed year round.

What are people seeing for typical deer densities in Coleman?

Posted By: Texmel

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 10/31/11 08:45 PM

I'm on lease in Brown County which borders Coleman County. Have experienced the same lack of buck movement and low fawn number. Did get some pics of nice bucks in Jul-Aug, but in Sep-Oct they just are not showing up. Was triming overhang on lease road and heard noise, looked up and saw a HUGH buck splashing out of the pond. He ran up a creek bed about 30-40 yds to where a few does were and stopped. I raked my trimmer against some saplings and he came charging back. Stopped at the water edge and stood broadside for a couple of minutes. After seeing no movement or other bucks, he left the creek bed for the trees. He was the boss and looking for a fight. Sure hope he shows up again during gun season!

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 10/31/11 08:57 PM

Out side of Santa Anna... Lots of stud 1.5-2.5 year olds but mature deer horns way down this year.

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 10/31/11 09:20 PM

many young bucks, havent seen the older ones yet.. but our fawn crop was really good, have counted a bunch of twins off the cams

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 11/07/11 04:13 PM

Very slow for us this weekend in sothern Coelman county. quite a few does, yearlings, and a couple spikes..

Not too many gunshots around us etheir. headed out agian Wed for 4 days. Hope for a better few days.

Posted By: Codfish

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 11/07/11 09:08 PM

TTT

Posted By: chicken

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 11/07/11 10:11 PM

HEY TRUST
WERE ON 1929 CLOSE TO KENNEDY PARK. HOPE YALLS WEEKEND WAS BETTER THAN OURS. WE SEEN VERY LITTLE

Posted By: cody2422

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 11/07/11 10:40 PM

We had a very slow weekend as well. Hopefully it was just the weather, we are about 6 miles north of coleman.

Posted By: donswin

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 11/07/11 11:03 PM

One of my game cams caught a stalker watching the deer feed.

I can see what's going through his mind: "I'm sure I can take her, can't I?"

Posted By: huntnfishtx

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 11/08/11 02:47 PM

Here are the results of our hunt in Coleman this weekend

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...t_d#Post2731270

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 11/08/11 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: donswin

That pic is awesome

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 11/08/11 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: donswin

That is an awesome picture!!!!

Originally Posted By: chicken
HEY TRUST
WERE ON 1929 CLOSE TO KENNEDY PARK. HOPE YALLS WEEKEND WAS BETTER THAN OURS. WE SEEN VERY LITTLE

I am a few miles south of you and we are seeing deer but antler size is well below average for us. Been a couple of weeks since I have been there, but the reports sound about the same coming from the folks that have been there.

Re: Coleman County, Post up your pic's and observations of the deer on your hunting place. - 11/11/11 02:14 PM

been at camp since wed without too much activity. seem plenty of does and young bucks but no big boy yet.

our young bucks are still hanging out together around the feeders. will the young ones continue to do this even when the rut starts?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum