Texas Hunting Forum

Montague County Reports

Posted By: Hunter Lee

Montague County Reports - 10/03/11 01:56 PM

Anyone do any good opening weekend? I didn't get to hunt but will be out there this weekend. Hopefully ole big boy graces me with his appearance!

Posted By: bigtex46

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/03/11 11:00 PM

Where abouts in montague county do you hunt?

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/03/11 11:21 PM

A buddy of mine hunts northern Jack cty,typical blackjack,postoak woods.He's been seeing lots of deer this year,unlike last.The acorn crop is non-existent,unlike last year.Good for hunters,bad for the deer.

Posted By: Txhunter83

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/04/11 04:21 AM

I saw a guy Sunday at 4 corners store (148 & fm 174 intersection) with a nice 14 pt buck. He hunts 10 miles east of windthorst off 174.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/04/11 11:56 AM

Sorry should have been more specific, I hunt right outside of Nocona.

Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/04/11 12:00 PM

I got some deer coming to my feeder.Bucks are coming at night and looking directly at camera.Time to get that camera down I geuss.Had one giant eight pointer with a kicker of g2 during first week then stopped coming.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/06/11 06:04 PM

I hunt around nocona and have about 15 does, most with fawns, that are a feeder every time it goes off. Not seeing many bucks at all as of now.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/06/11 06:32 PM

Last year i threw out some sweet feed pellets and two days later shot a big nine point.Gunna try it again.

Posted By: Mountain hunter

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/09/11 03:28 AM

We're hunting between St. Jo and Nocona. Have seen quite a few young bucks all look healthy, but the Doe's with little one's have ribs showing... Very sad.

Posted By: MudEngineer

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/09/11 12:28 PM

We hunt northwestern Montague co. and all of the deer we've seen so far appear to be healthy. Several bucks on camera, 8's and 10's + smaller bucks. No really big ones like we had last year, at least not yet. This rain should help the wheat fields and food plots. Good luck!

Posted By: Boyd1212

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/09/11 02:09 PM

In hunting off of 59 about 6 miles away from Saint Jo. Have alot of does coming in every day all day. Had 5 yesterday about 10am come in as I was climbing out of the stand. Have a couple of small bucks that show up about every other day. Nothing special showing its self. But I figure when rut starts there will be some bucks following all the does.

Posted By: Bweger

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/09/11 03:33 PM

I hunt south of Saint Jo and I have lots of deer hitting my feeders. I tooka big spike Tuesday. Passed a big young 8 opening morning

Posted By: Curt70

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/09/11 08:39 PM

I hunt just south of Nocona. We have been slow lately. This rain should help with the ponds and water sources on the property. We have only seen one shooter buck this year. Hopefully more will show up for the rut.

Posted By: LM1

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/10/11 02:51 AM

Lots of does and fawns, small 8 and thats all.

Posted By: Texsun

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/10/11 03:32 AM

We hunt off Catholic Cemetary rd. Seen some average bucks plenty of doe no giants yet.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/17/11 08:22 AM

Hunted Sunday morning, spooked some deer off the wheat fields on the way to our stands, didn't see anything after that, bright as daylight! One thing different this year, deer appear to be hitting the wheat fields and feeders a lot more.

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/17/11 12:14 PM

Right now the oil companies are all over my place and everything is nocturnal. Due to the rains, I actually got to plant some food plots last Friday. I'm trying oats this year but mixed corn about 1:3. Curious about what will happen. I scratched around some yesterday and both are germinating. More than likely the hogs will get them.

Very few yearlings on my cams so I expect there was a low fawn survival. The deer look like they are in decent shape but not great.

Also, due to finally getting rain(6 inches at my place) I'm seeing a lot of wild rye coming up and other weeds and forbs. That ought to help them make it through the winter.

Changed my game plan. Since I was the only one with any water, I figured to hunt my tank. Heck, there is now plenty of water.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/17/11 01:15 PM

We've had alot of action at the feeders this year so far. Not many shooter bucks yet. When does the rut typically hit in Montague County? 1st part of November?

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/17/11 06:50 PM

About then. I have seen a couple of yearlings without Mama. However, a neighbor just sent me a pic from last Friday showing 4 bucks at a feeder.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/17/11 10:00 PM

Well Friday evening I had a yearling come in without mama but saturday evening I had a mama with twin yearlings come in. Had that doe been by herself she probably would have had a Montec through her!

Posted By: Blake E.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/18/11 12:17 AM

I got some nice deer paterned and no bow hunters. Thinking about shooting one myself. I guess I shouldnt, but its hard not to. More pigs than ive ever seen.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/18/11 09:56 AM

Blake, do you think there are more hogs or just more hog damage? For the fist time, there are tearing up my bluestem. That hasn't happened in the past and makes me more aware of them.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/23/11 09:40 AM

Hunted Saturday evening, no signs of the rut starting, yet. Have 5 bucks on camera at one feeder, no chasing and very few rubs. My oldest boy had 2 bucks at his feeder, getting along quite well together. My brother has pictures of a very large scrape opened up about a week ago with 9 different bucks visiting it in a week. I think we're still a couple of weeks away from the rut. Always have the young 'uns starting to chase before it really gets started but haven't seen that yet.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/23/11 09:59 AM

I hunted every morning and evening all last week. No signs of rut yet at my place. All the does still followed in by there young. No scrapes, and no bucks.

Posted By: Curt70

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/23/11 03:36 PM

I hunted last night and saw a few does, but no signs of chasing at my lease yet. We hunt just north of Nocona. I think the cold front coming in late next week may get things going... At least I hope so.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/24/11 03:38 AM

Nothing out of the ordinary.

Posted By: LoonMan

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/24/11 02:40 PM

Nothing but young bucks last few weeks. Regular does.
No rutting behavior. Bigger bucks MIA.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/28/11 02:34 AM

Ill be in the stand for the next 7 days. I'm curious to see what this cold front has done.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/28/11 06:18 PM

I'm curious also...Haven't hunted in 2 weeks. Debating on going tomorrow AM, but may have no choice but to work....

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/30/11 10:15 AM

Have seen a few rubs starting to show up, no rutting activity yet. Going hunting Sunday evening, will report back. Hogs are tearing our place up, big bucks still absent from cameras.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/31/11 11:00 AM

Took three 13 year olds out and they all got a doe. Some of the does had booted out the yearlings. No bucks seen until I left to deliver some fish. Along the road I saw two young bucks that were alone. I figure the rut is starting.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/31/11 01:13 PM

I went on Tuesday evening last week. Had a little buck with half his headgear missing pass by sniffing a trail. He showed up later and went after a doe in my food plot. She wasnt having any of it and left. He wasnt too serious, he have up pretty quick.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/01/11 03:08 AM

Rubs starting to show up at our place in NW Montague Co. Deer appear to be moving early in the evenings. Saw 2 small bucks today while working on some stands, was in the polaris and they didn't pay any attention to us at all. Today will be the last day any 4 wheelers are allowed on our place unless it's to pick up a big buck! 4 wheelers are a warning siren to deer!!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/01/11 10:31 AM

Agree about 4 wheelers. Only when necessary.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/01/11 12:41 PM

I'm getting very anxious! Didn't end up going last weekend due to work. Haven't been out to our place going on 3 weeks. This weekend can't come fast enough!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/02/11 01:22 PM

I checked the cameras yesterday, three bucks on camera. These are the first pictures of bucks all year. Ive been in the tree everyday but only seen does, most still with fawns.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/03/11 01:39 PM

Well, back in the stand this morning, had a doe and fawn come in to feed. The fawn would feed a while, then nurse a while. The doe made no effort to stop it. Hmmm

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/03/11 02:00 PM

I finally got one nice eight point on camera.Nothing else!His hocks were really clean...white as can be.Neck looks to be swelling a tad.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/03/11 04:29 PM

I'll be in my tree by 2:00. Don't get much signal in the bottom, can't post from tree, but I'll let yall know how it goes. I'll be sitting over my feeder. I now have two food plots in and feeder going off 4x daily. I'll be able to see it all Sat. morning from my tower. Can't wait.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/03/11 04:38 PM

Good luck to you! I head out to west texas to work friday morning, and will be out there 7 days. Ill be back in the tree for 7 days next friday. Im thinking it should be prime time by then.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/03/11 08:31 PM

I'm hoping to get out there early enough tomorrow to pull game cam cards and sit in the bow stand. Its driving me nuts that I havent been out there since the 15th!

Good luck to everyone and please report back!

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/03/11 09:55 PM

BTW if anyone cares, they lifted the burn ban 10/27 in Montague so bring on the campfire! Guess they realized there isn't much to burn anymore and we got some rain. Good luck everyone!

http://www.co.montague.tx.us/ips/export/sites/montague/downloads/PressReleaseBurnBan.pdf

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/04/11 04:00 AM

Nothing moving until 5:30, but deer in sight from then until dark. Had a young buck chase a doe in and out of my feeder and food plot three times. Had another young 6 come in as well.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/04/11 04:00 AM

Nothing moving until 5:30, but deer in sight from then until dark. Had a young buck chase a doe in and out of my feeder and food plot three times. Had another young 6 come in as well.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/04/11 12:57 PM

Watched a buck cruising just before light.

Posted By: gonefishing-2day

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/04/11 01:28 PM

We have see a lot of does this year and some very young bucks. We hunt on our home place on FM3394 past Molsbee Cemetary.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/04/11 08:46 PM

Wind gusts up to 40mph tomorrow! bang

Posted By: Glassangler

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/04/11 09:06 PM

Hunted this morn. Just southeast of nocona. Its getting good!!!!! Chasing all morning we saw 27 deer between 2 of us on 150 acres. Back at camp at 11 and had a mature 8 point run across the field. Didn't hurt that it was 22 degrees on my temp gauge. Gonna be a good opening morn. Try to stay in stand as Long as I can tomorrow. Good luck .........

Posted By: gonefishing-2day

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/04/11 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunter Lee
Wind gusts up to 40mph tomorrow! bang
It's blows 40 every day in Nocona from November to January. Thinking about putting up some windmill.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/04/11 11:04 PM

9 point eating grass at 4:45....

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/05/11 11:21 PM

On stand overlooking wheat field, nothing moving but the wind!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/07/11 01:16 AM

9 yearlings showed up at a feeder Saturday. No does or bucks.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/07/11 04:57 AM

Hunted our place in NW Montague Co. this weekend. Had our 1st scrape appear, numerous rubs, several does in the wheat field, a 4 pt. and a medium 8 pt. but did not see any bucks cruising or chasing does. A lot of pigs on camera but not showing themselves much during daylight hours. I wish we could get rid of them forever!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/07/11 12:30 PM

I hear you on the hogs. They are doing quite a number on my bluestem.

I saw a lot of torn up saplings from some pretty good bucks. However, I didn't see any of them. Did get a pic of a really nice 9 point on a cam.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/07/11 12:59 PM

Anyone know who the do do is who target practices off Quail ridge road in the last hour in the evening on opening weekend with a high powered rifle?A shot evry two minutes.Seriously.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/08/11 02:39 AM

Hunted saturday morn. Saw a small 7 with a big bodied 8 with a small rack. Sunday hunted till noon watched a wide 6 and a small 6 also small 4 chase a doe for 1 hour, tongues hangin out, wouldn't stop for a grunt or a bleat... This week and weekend should be ON!!!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/08/11 11:12 AM

Kenny, don't know where Quail Ridge Road is but a butthead just South of Bowie has been doing his target practice on weekends starting at about 5;00.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/08/11 12:18 PM

Hunted all day Saturday and only Sunday morning. Saw a total of 23 deer. Everything from does, yearling does, button bucks, and two spikes. No shooters! I also found some new rubs one of which is between my stand and feeder. Things are starting to pick up! I will be back in the stand saturday morning, but no looking forward to a full moon!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/08/11 06:12 PM

Same as 2 years ago, got my best buck to date, before 8am opening morning. Bucks on the move, does watching woods for chasing bucks, all weekend. Deer very active.

Posted By: Farmhand

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/08/11 09:20 PM

Saw plenty of deer on the move over opening weekend.

Posted By: krod777

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/10/11 12:44 PM

Hey GlassAngler, show us the pictures of a big ol good'un!!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/11/11 01:59 AM

Kenny I don't know how to post them, And he wasn't that big!!!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/11/11 03:27 AM

ok

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/11/11 06:43 PM

Well, im off for the next seven days, and will be in the tree. Hope this is the week!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/11/11 08:43 PM

Just checked camera, I had pics of three different 8 pts, all around 5:00-5:30 P.M. First buck pics all year.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/12/11 03:11 AM

Just saw one young buck while in the stand. On my way out I had a doe jump the fence into my wheat feild about 20 yds in front of my truck. She hit the ground running, never even looking up at my diesel truck and bright lights pointed at her. A few seconds later a nice looking fairly mature 9 pt jumped the fence right in front of me ( truck still running and lights still on) didnt pay any attention to me at all, and was hot on her trail. His neck was fully swollen and tounge hanging out. The rut is in full swing in Nocona.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/12/11 12:14 PM

Both mature does and bucks are staying away from my feeders. Pigs aren't. I'm screwing up my deer hunting by not being able to resist eliminating or running off the pigs.

I did rattle in a small 6 point yesterday.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/12/11 02:29 PM

Not much action at my feeders in weeks, since the acorns started falling

Posted By: Seadog

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/12/11 02:51 PM

The first week of October for me sounded like rain drops falling with all the acorns dropping and I saw nothing at feeders!!!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/12/11 04:00 PM

No Acorns near Sunset. Heading up today. Hoping rut is on!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/14/11 12:40 AM

Got some acorns between Bowie and sunset.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/14/11 12:59 AM

I watched a decent 8 pt cruising checking does this evening. It didnt seem he found any of the does too interesting, but he was definitly on the prowl. I grunted and rattled at him and it didnt seem to interest him at all

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/14/11 03:19 AM

Hunted all day Sunday, saw some little bucks and some does but no chasing. Still getting some decent bucks on the cameras at night. Oh, and lots of hogs, I used to like hunting them when they first came into this part of the country but I hate them, wish they were gone!

Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/14/11 05:17 AM

rifle bounce Thats sucks !! I was bow hunting last wensaday and had a HELICOPTER doing Vietnam fly by's for Two solid HOURS !!! REALLY ! FROM 1pm till 3pm. flame

Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/14/11 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By: MudEngineer
Hunted all day Sunday, saw some little bucks and some does but no chasing. Still getting some decent bucks on the cameras at night. Oh, and lots of hogs, I used to like hunting them when they first came into this part of the country but I hate them, wish they were gone!
WE CAN HELP WITH THE PIG PROBLEEM after deer season ? cowboy

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/15/11 01:32 PM

Hunted Saturday morning and saw good activity. Had a buck chasing a doe before legal shooting, watched a button buck eat corn for 45 minutes until a cull buck walked in that I let the air out of and Dad shot a nice 8 that was hanging with a mature doe. This is dad's personal best so far. We have bigger ones on cam but he couldnt resist.

Before

After

Posted By: Seadog

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/15/11 01:33 PM

Nice buck!!!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/15/11 01:56 PM

I couldn't have resisted that one either.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/15/11 01:59 PM

I'm seeing pics of really nice bucks at my feeders. Of course, it happens when I'm not around.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/16/11 03:11 PM

The cold front is here!! Ill be sitting on the edge of my wheat field this evening. I set up one of my range benches yesterday evening and ranged all the edges of the brush. My long range rifle will be on bags with binos in hand this evening. If that mature 8 comes out again this evening within 800yds he is bought and paid for. Ive got the itch!

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/16/11 04:41 PM

A co-worker and one of her family have killed really nice ones in Montague County so far but I'm not posting names, locations, or pics.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/16/11 04:51 PM

well geez thanks

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/17/11 04:33 AM

Hunted NW Montague Co. this evening, 2 small bucks on the wheat field and wouldn't you know it, right at dark a good buck chasing does in and out of the field, too dark to tell exactly what he was but had no trouble seeing his rack. Maybe tomorrow!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/17/11 07:13 PM

well, my place never produces much in the mornings, and this week has been awful for deer movement, so I decided to load up the binoculars and go driving around this morning. I didnt leave the house until 9 and just got home. I saw a total of 18 deer, 2 dinks,15 does, one monster 10 standing in the ditch of FM 1956 at high noon!! The deer were definitly moving late this morning and saw a doe cross the road @ 12:45.

Posted By: Kennedy Farms Hunter

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/17/11 08:56 PM

I'm hunting in Bellevue, seen some nice bucks. Did you used to own that processing place in Bowie?

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/17/11 10:43 PM

Nope wasnt me.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/17/11 11:01 PM

Where on 1956?

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/18/11 04:37 PM

Just past reed cemetery road

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/20/11 07:01 PM

Hunted on 11/16 it was about 30 that morn. with a lite wind. We saw over 20 deer with 3 shooter bucks. Only shot I had was on a wide 6 point, I passed. All bucks were still chasing still had groups of does, and does still with fawns. So don't think the rut is even close to being over. Been weird this year, seen more deer this year than ever before, and seen chasing since end of October.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/21/11 02:38 AM

I had a shot on a huge 8 point this morning. However, it was about 50 ft outside of my fence. Tempted but....

Posted By: Hoosier Texan

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/21/11 03:01 PM

Hello, I'm new to the board and have just started hunting aagain for the first time in 22 years. My girlfriends parents have just under 100 acres right outside of Montague that I have been hunting. I passed on a 6 point opening weekend because it was about 15 minutes before shoot time and I couldn't verify the spread. I have a feeder and hunt outside his his cow pasture between the fence row and a tree line that has about 30 acres to it.

I haven't seen anything since except for her dad seeing a doe one morning that I wasn't there while he was out taling care of the cows. My firends in-laws use to have the boardering property and they use to hunt it, shooting deer that just pass through the property using the fields to cross. I am hearing shots everytime I go out, but not much luck for me.

Is this normal for Montague? My buddy said there weren't as many deer but that they tend to be bigger in this county??? Does anyone have any suggestions for me that hunts Montague???

Thanks all...

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/22/11 01:35 AM

A lot depends on the type of land. Open, wooded, water?

A lot of the shots I'm hearing are from duck hunters.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/25/11 02:08 AM

Ill be headed home first thing in the morning and be in a tree with bow in hand for seven days. Hope there is still some rutting activity going on. Whats it lookin like guys?

Posted By: tth_40

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/25/11 02:14 AM

Heck, on 81 just north of Stoneburg they've had a seismic survey going on for the past month that is killing our chances this year..survey workers all over the place, clearing equipment and vibe trucks going constantly. Crappiest timing ever. Hopefully they'll be done soon.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/25/11 03:19 PM

Well, I had activity at the feeder on Wed but was not able to get out that day. So I go out yesterday morning and don't see a thing. It's ben a little discouraging that I haven't aseen anything since opening weekend, but I'm gonna be patient.

Question though, with the season lasting into January, will the deer start hitting the feeders and give me an opportunity to get one that way? I figured I'd see a bit more deer at least crossing the cow pasture during the rut since there has been no hunting pressure on this land.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/25/11 07:50 PM

I just got home this morning and looks like it has rained a decent amount during the past week. That should be just what we needed to get the deer back on corn. The acorns should rot fairly quickly now and the deer should start hitting feeders a little more often.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/25/11 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Hoosier Texan
Well, I had activity at the feeder on Wed but was not able to get out that day. So I go out yesterday morning and don't see a thing. It's ben a little discouraging that I haven't aseen anything since opening weekend, but I'm gonna be patient.

Question though, with the season lasting into January, will the deer start hitting the feeders and give me an opportunity to get one that way? I figured I'd see a bit more deer at least crossing the cow pasture during the rut since there has been no hunting pressure on this land.
welcomeAfter a good hard freeze the hunting should improve..Be patient and stay out there.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/26/11 01:04 AM

Heard several shots around me this evening but I got skunked, not a single critter of any kind. Thats odd for my place, I generally see 5-15 doe everytime out.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/27/11 02:06 AM

skunked again today... deer just arent moving at my place

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/28/11 01:17 AM

and again today...... bang

Posted By: tj5

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/28/11 01:27 AM

East of Bowie seems to be going strong have got does spike
Past on nice 10pt. And nice 9pt both meeting the 13 rule
Past both of them not cause waiting on bigger but holding
Them out for my wife and my boy

They been running does hard too last week to

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/28/11 12:41 PM

I'm changing strategies. Nothing but small racks and yearling doe coming to feeders. 2 weeks ago there were deer everywhere but now they have figured out that it is hunting season. Nothing even on game cams at night except pigs and coons.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/29/11 04:43 AM

4 days in a row with out seeing a single deer, coyote, hog, rabbit, coon, ANYTHING!!!! I dont know what the deal is.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/29/11 07:56 PM

My buddy saw more deer this weekend than ever before, 9 at his feeder/foodplot at one time. 1/2 mile away zilch. Movement definately slowing due to pressure.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/29/11 08:01 PM

Lots of green stuff out there to eat.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/29/11 11:15 PM

Hunting is super slow.... I got a yote last week and watched deer move well out of range of the feeders. Had a doe walk up to it and run off. Guess they are scared of corn. The turkey are sure plentiful. I need to through some rocks at them corn robbers.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/30/11 04:50 AM

day 5....

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/30/11 05:19 AM

move off the feeder?

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/30/11 05:29 AM

Ive got stands in oak trees, the edge of the wheat field, travel routes between feeding and bedding..... tried them all. They just arent moving in the daylight and very little at night. Ive moved the cameras around, not many pictures. Its crazy Ive gone from 400+ pictures a week to 6 last week. From seeing 10-15 deer every time out to this, none in 5 days and very few last week. I know there is acorns and green growth everywhere but dang they have to move sometime

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/30/11 10:36 AM

I remember seeing a study done about food plots. The conclusion was that deer stage in the afternoon on the trails to the wheat patch and come out to them at night. The conclusion was to hunt the trails from and to the fields.

Since I'm seeing only small bucks and yearling does at feeders and my oat patches, I'm going to move my hunting away from the areas that the deer are avoiding. The cameras tell me that mature deer are ignoring the corn, even at night.

Bottom line is that the larger deer, IMO, are avoiding the areas that they know are dangerous.

Brad, I guess that means move off the feeders.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/30/11 07:06 PM

Activity on our place has slowed down alot. Not much coming to feeders at all! Hopfully things pick up soon!

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/01/11 02:27 AM

I agree activity has slowed, But I hunted Tuesday am. thru today am. and i'm still seeing some chasing!!! No BS.... Tuesday Morn. I watched a HOT doe run across a field, then a small buck come out 30 seconds behind her nose down right on her path. Then on the side of the field where they ran to another small buck. The two small bucks started sparing. Then on the same trail a wide 6 (seen this deer 4 times now) comes out nose down runs to the same place as doe and small bucks.

Last night group of 5 does, and a doe with her button buck.

Check camera after that evening hunt(camera is on a scrape) and the biggest buck this year!!!! Wish I knew how to post pic. A huge 8 maybe 20" wide g2s 14" tall 225# ? Neck huge!!! but at 12:37am. Typical.

This am. saw multiple does 3 together. couple solo running like they were chased, but no bucks behind them. Saw one buck way off that was on the move, and a six point running across field when I got down at 10:00.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/01/11 02:38 AM

what part of the country you hunt glassangler?

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/01/11 02:47 AM

Flood plan in between Saint Jo and Nocona

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/01/11 01:52 PM

Yes I know exactly the spot.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/05/11 11:33 AM

The rut is either still on or has started again. Yesterday morning a doe came by. About a minute later a huge bodied, old, 8 point followed her. I shot it. Then another nice 8 came after her. A 13 year old kid with me shot it. We went and found the deer and closed up the stand. Made a lot of noise. I looked up and another smaller 8 came and looked us over. Then it came within about 50 ft of us and headed after the doe.

Later the kid rattled up another 8 that came withing 10 feet of him.

Neither the shots or banging around the blind bothered them when the doe was on their mind.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/05/11 06:36 PM

Yes still some young does coming into heat. I watched a young doe run across field Sunday morn. panting ears pend back. Kept waiting for the buck finally 20 mins. later here he came a decent 8 point, nose down zig zagin back and forth right down the same spot she ran. He ran right by the blind grunted at him he just kept runnin.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/06/11 04:39 AM

dang it! Y'all start talking rut activity back on and i'm stuck in west Texas working until Friday.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/06/11 06:15 AM

I'm in Houston......but I'm gonnatry again this weekend!

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/09/11 06:57 PM

just rolled back in to town for 7 days. Hope some of the rutting sign mentioned above is happening at my place this week.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/09/11 07:46 PM

Try some rattling.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/12/11 02:00 PM

I havent been to our place since Nov 26th, but planning on going this saturday. I've heard that deer are only hitting feeders at night in our area. What's everyone else seeing? Rut pretty much done?

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/12/11 03:08 PM

Same story. But no one is hunting mid-day so I bet people would see some movement if they would get out of the blind/feeder setup and hunt on the ground in different areas.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/12/11 05:55 PM

Ive hunted mid-day, all day, on travel paths between food and bedding areas, rattled, grunted, mock scrapes, scent drags, pretty much covered it. The deer had really slowed down on any kind of activity. They seem to be moving a little more now but the last several weeks have been tough. I havent seen any sign of rut activity in the last few days.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/13/11 03:18 PM

Hunted Saturday morn. saw lots of deer (30). Doe are all grouped up. The movement didnt start untill about 8:00. One wide 6 that I see every time I hunt was still try to get a doe or two but I think that there are very few still hot. Still getting pictures of bucks coming to my scrape, all at night but all good mature deer. My buddy hunts about 2 miles (as a crow flies) west of me and we have pictures of the same buck multiple times this year. It takes him about 3-4 days to travel between places. Most recent pictures of him were on 12/1 at his place and 12/4 back at mine. So he is still exploring a little.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/13/11 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
Try some rattling.
This.I've seen bucks dogging doe,broken antlers and lots of chasing...Most movement has been at night though,a full moon will do that.Try hunting all day long.AND RATTLE-not the tickling of the horns but WHACK the heck out of them.This past weekend in west Texas there was no wind and drizzly conditions,perfect for rattling and I could not get my buddy to slam the horns together...He said he was afraid of running off the deer.We saw two bucks fighting and one break off his left side.You will not scare them away.If you've ever seen two deer fighting they don't tickle their antlers together,they are trying to kill each other.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/20/11 01:35 PM

Well I didnt get to go last weekend like I planned! Something always seems to come up... mad

Anyway its coming down to 2 last hunts for me. Plan on hunting ALL day Friday and ALL day Monday. I've yet to get a good buck in the last two seasons so hopefully I can get me a Christmas buck!!! And yes I did say Christmas not Xmas!! Still trying to decided if I should hang by the feeder or get out of the stand sneak around a little....Any thoughts???

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/21/11 05:34 AM

I wouldn't walk around. Maybe sit by a tree?

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/21/11 10:55 PM

3 of us hunted the last couple of days by feeders. 3 does came out at dark yesterday. They are pretty well avoiding corn and my oat patches. Neighbors are reporting the same thing.

I have rarely been able to sneak up on deer.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/23/11 11:00 AM

I'm using Fisher in Muenster to do my processing. I have no complaints about them. However, my land is in Bowie and I live in Hurst. It's a long drive to go to Muenster and then home.

Is there anyone in Decatur or closer that you guys can recommend?

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/23/11 02:59 PM

I use Muenster meat company. There is Syracuse meats on the north end of Keller. You could catch 114 over to 35 on the way in. Lots of people go there.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/23/11 10:33 PM

Thanks Brad

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/24/11 04:55 AM

Im back for another week of hunting. Hoping to fill a few doe tags this week. Doesnt look like there has been much activity in the past week around my place.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/24/11 02:25 PM

My place slows way down late December. Always has. My buddy hunts 2 miles down the road and he really picks up late December. It's crazy. Good luck.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/29/11 07:35 PM

Well looks like I'm done for the year. Deer appear to only be moving at night. Time to start planning for next year...

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/29/11 09:21 PM

Got back today, they're moving at night from what I saw too.

Posted By: AaronM58

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/29/11 09:29 PM

Just spent the last 4 days hunting up there. VERY little activity. Saw them moving late in the morning (10:30-ish) & not much happening on the wheat fields until right after legal shooting light.

Re: Montague County Reports - 01/11/12 10:41 AM

How did the season go for you guys? We had drought followed by soaking rains just before the season started that helped the deer make it.

I planted some oats right after the rains but the deer didn't seem to mess with it much. Mature does avoided corn feeders, as evidenced by my cameras, throughout the season. As usual, decent bucks, showed up at the feeders when I wasn't there. I took one really big bodied buck that was following a runt doe late in the season. I did see a lot of small bucks and yearling does. Actually, I saw tons of yearlings early in the season so don't figure there was any die offs due to drought.

It does appear that the deer in my area are staying on places that have no human activity. My neighbors who live there saw virtually nothing.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/05/12 03:35 AM

OK, New year lets some reports!!!
All I have seen is a big increase in pigs.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/05/12 04:22 AM

First bachelor group on my camera showed up just 1 1/2 weeks ago. One decent buck, all the rest wouldn't pass AR's. Seen the regular bunch of does. Seen lots more pigs this year, the big founders have not hit my feeder. I do have a regular good size boar that comes by. Time to get the arrows and sit. Oh ya, wheat is coming up good. Not seen any army worms, or heard of any this year.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/05/12 08:10 PM

Been very slow at our place so far. Been feeding all year and have had cams out since July with hardly any pics at all. I saw 4 doe opening morning before the rain set in then not a single thing the rest of the weekend. Sure hope tomorrow is better!

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/06/12 10:32 AM

According to a new feeder placement and game camera, I'm loaded with nocturnal big bucks that I've never seen. They're still together so the rut hasn't started. Those same bucks are avoiding last years feeders. However, I do have pics of some young bucks bumping heads. The rut is coming soon.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/06/12 11:07 AM

We hunt NW Montague Co. Been feeding protein for several months and have had 3 shooters coming every night until about 5 days ago when they just quit. Still have the really young, small bucks coming to the protein feeder + lots of does. I've seen this happen before the rut starts, they get reclusive, I told my boys this is their "weird" stage. Have some very good antlers and all the deer are in really good shape. Could be the hundreds of dollars of protein! Hope we get a shot at them in the daylight.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/09/12 03:33 AM

Deer were very active Sunday morning. Prolly saw a dozen different deer, but seen them all several times each, constantly moving. Finally slowed around 11:30am. Only one buck. Very few bucks at the feeders this year. It's still early though. Ya never know what's out there until the rut starts. Lots more pigs this year. They were lighter the last two years, and now boom, explosion. I got one pig with my bow on Sunday.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/09/12 09:29 AM

According to cameras, the pigs have left my place. I'm seeing one big boar but that's all. They'll be back.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/12/12 09:34 PM

Saw one doe and 3 yotes on my last sitting. Think I may need to break the varmit call out...

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/13/12 01:30 AM

Pulled the cams and have seen many bucks of all ages.
Posted By: BAR940

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/13/12 01:42 AM

No deer in Montague County so everybody just pack up and go home smile
Posted By: txmudder

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/13/12 03:16 PM

Saw 5 doe and 2 yearling this morning. Suppose to be raining this evening so I am gonna head back out and hunt till it starts storming.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/17/12 09:54 PM

Not much luck here. Guess there eating acorns. Not even getting pictures.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/19/12 12:41 PM

Well heading out this afternoon to give it another try. Hopefully they are more active out there!!

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/22/12 12:36 AM

Anyone see any movement this warm, windy weekend? I stayed home.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/22/12 02:08 AM

Going tomorrow to check the cams and feeders.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/22/12 02:19 AM

Buddy found a rattlesnake today. I've only seen one poisonous snake in five years. Kinda odd. Means its too dang warm. He didn't see any deer. I'll be out there mid-week.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/22/12 09:18 AM

Nowhere near as much feeder activity as the previous week. I have 6 feeders/cams. The mature bucks that I had seen are no longer coming at night(or day).

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/22/12 12:54 PM

False alarm on the rattlesnake.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/22/12 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
Nowhere near as much feeder activity as the previous week. I have 6 feeders/cams. The mature bucks that I had seen are no longer coming at night(or day).

Same here.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/28/12 02:18 AM

Saw 15 deer this morn. all doe still with fawns. No bucks at all. A buddy hunts 2 miles west off me and saw 5 bucks 2 shooters all out of rang, and said they were all starting to chase. Wish I could hunt tom. but have to fish a tournament. arrrr... anyway this week and opening weekend is gonna get good. I'm pumped. Last deer I saw this am. was at 11:30. 27 degrees!!
Posted By: coinless

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/28/12 01:41 PM

I hunt near the dam of Lake Nocona. I have 1000 pics of hogs and doe and 1 measly pic of a 10 point. It looked like he approached the feeder and then avoided it.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/28/12 03:26 PM

Been seeing nearly all bucks for two weeks.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/28/12 04:10 PM

Ive not had much action so far. A few doe in the wheat, no activity at feeders, but did see a very nice 10 chasing 2 doe across my wheat field early evening 2 weeks ago

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/29/12 10:17 AM

4 boys this weekend took 3 bucks, none of any real size, at feeders. No doe were even seen. Wheat is looking pretty good but I would like some more rain.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/31/12 02:25 AM

Hunted yesterday ev. and this am. Saw a 6 point chase a little, then a non typ. young 13 point come chase a doe and fawn. I would say it's right on time gonna be chasing this weekend and full rut by the next weekend. Getting exciting!!!!!
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/31/12 04:25 AM

id like to see a pic of that 13 point

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/31/12 07:40 PM

First is 13 pointer The 2nd is a big nine i've been watching for three years, I have him at 5.5. And the 3rd is a double main beam that was around up untill 3 weeks ago, and now he's gone.http://s1299.beta.photobucket.com/user/glassangler/media/CDY_0062.jpg.htmlhttp://s1299.beta.photobucket.com/user/glassangler/media/CDY_0059.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1http://s1299.beta.photobucket.com/user/glassangler/media/CDY_0062.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/31/12 07:41 PM

Can't figure out how to, I guess.....

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/31/12 07:50 PM

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag64/glassangler/CDY_00421.jpg
The young 13

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/31/12 07:53 PM

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag64/glassangler/CDY_0059.jpg
5.5 year old 9

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/31/12 07:53 PM

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag64/glassangler/CDY_0062.jpg
Double main beam

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/01/12 11:56 AM

Pretty impressive bucks there! Havent seen anything that good at our place yet. Can't wait till tomorrow; come noon time I'm north bound!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/01/12 01:09 PM

Dang Glassangler,I hope you get a good one! Be home soon. Save one for me!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/02/12 03:11 AM

I've seen them chasing. Bucks have shown up, even new comers not seen before

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/04/12 04:45 AM

Anyone have any luck in Montague? One of our guys shot a 6 so he is done but no one even saw a doe today. Got a bunch of young ones on camera. We never see anything mature on the cams.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/05/12 12:32 PM

4 kids last weekend took 3 marginal bucks. Only one doe seen.

I had to get a lot of stuff done on the place and didn't get to hunt the opener. However, when I left the house to go to Walmart, I saw a monster running away from the road. The interesting thing is that he was running away but looking over his shoulder. I've never seen that. I figure a hot doe had crossed the road and I came by at an inopportune time for that guy.

I heard a lot of shotguns but only 3 rifle shots over the weekend.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/06/12 01:46 PM

Any new reports? I hunted last Saturday morning only and didnt see anything! Debating on going this weekend or next. Next weekend should be cooler and almost zero moon.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/06/12 08:22 PM

Lee, my game cameras are showing deer only at night around feeders. And, no mature bucks.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/06/12 09:02 PM

It's the same every year. Every day it gets harder and harder.
Lots of does, yearlings, and young bucks in october. Chasing and mature bucks first of November. After Thanksgiving, everyday brings less deer numbers with every sitting. Then ya get skunked, first week of December. Rest of Dec. numbers decline to rare siteings. Only way to see in Dec. is very cold and Wheat fields. Am I close? that's Montague County in a nut shell.

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/06/12 11:28 PM

Correct!

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/13/12 07:41 PM

Heading out tomorrow and hoping for some luck this weekend! Haven't filled a tag yet!
Posted By: jusputitonmytab

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/14/12 01:58 AM

I'll be heading out to our lease tomorrow. I already got a nice sized doe out there a few weeks ago. Hopefully we get lucky and see a good buck.
Posted By: Cull-1

Re: Montague County Reports - 12/22/12 06:16 PM

We were thinking about heading to Bowie for the holidays
and were wondering if anyone has seen any action that way?

Re: Montague County Reports - 08/22/13 08:40 PM

Well boys and girls its getting close to that time of year again! Anybody got any reports or pics they want to share. I'm on a new place in Montague County and can't wait for September 28th. Gonna be a LONG 37 days!!!

Re: Montague County Reports - 08/24/13 07:05 PM

Seeing some decent bucks on camera. Not as much as last year. I think the heat has my cameras messed up from the heat.

Re: Montague County Reports - 08/25/13 01:22 PM

Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: Montague County Reports - 08/29/13 07:17 PM

Nice

Re: Montague County Reports - 08/30/13 12:21 PM

I'm sure that one is on your hit list! We haven't seen anything like that on our new place but I'm sure they are there! Good luck this season!

Re: Montague County Reports - 09/16/13 04:03 PM

11 Days and counting...Looks like its going to be plenty warm opening weekend!

Re: Montague County Reports - 09/22/13 04:10 PM

Well fellas,
I lost my lease this summer. It was depressing after being on 6 years. Not all is lost, I was able to lease next door at the last minute. I'll be chasing the same deer I was last year. Couldn't be happier. Food plot is up, feeders going, getting bow blinds up today.

WERHOOOO

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/04/13 05:59 PM

Lots of does at our place.
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/08/13 07:02 PM

Seen a lot of does, fawns and young bucks. The group of young bucks I've seen on camera seemed to have broken up in the past few weeks. I'm hoping some mature bucks venture toward the does on the property. I'm on a new lease outside of Nocona Lake, so it will be interesting to learn what happens this year. There was a mature cull 6 pt I shot at on opening day but ended up losing him with an unlucky arrow shot through the back leg. Still sickened by it. Have one pic of a wide 10 pt, but no other pics of him since. Good luck to all.

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/27/13 11:02 PM

What's the good word ?

Re: Montague County Reports - 10/27/13 11:45 PM

Wheat came up. My new camera hasn't taken a picture, but the older one has.
Pictures of pigs, and deer. Several young 8's. One ten that has some mass, and a belly. I need more pictures, I'm not sure how old he is yet.
Couple of the young eights chasing a momma while her twins watched 10 days ago. Friday only saw a doe and fawn. Moon was bright Thirsday night. Shot a pig with my bow last week. He had big cutters. Picture of him is in the photo section. I've seen way too many yotes. Four one morning last week. Had one at fifty yards. Ten more yards, and he would have been close enough and clear of a tree limb. It would have been cool to get one with my bow. Next week I'll break out my rifle and some fur will fly. Can't wait for the bucks to start cruising. Truthfully, this late in bow season we should have more action than I've seen.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/14/13 08:54 PM

Any more reports? Everyone is saying the rut is on but I am not seeing that. I hunt between saint Jo and nocona.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/14/13 09:09 PM

Didn't see it this past weekend. Bucks cruising a bit but doe aren't ready. Will be a week before I get back out. We hunt SW of Nocona. Some guys saw no deer but I saw 15 in two hunts. As usual they never hit the feeders. Tons of turkey.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/14/13 09:22 PM

Most years past it was cruising and lots of Buck movement by opening day.
3 years biggest deer killed on opening day 7:30 am. NOT YHIS YEAR. I'm not seeing many bucks. Lots of does. Lots of coyotes.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/14/13 10:32 PM

Deer movement has been slow at our place just west of Montague. Haven't seen hardly any hogs at all since we all put up hog panels. There is a lot of coyotes though! Every night and every morning we hear packs all around us. Need to dust off the ole FoxPro and do some thinning of the herd! Montague county has been some of the toughest hunting I've ever done. As TXduckman said they don't hit the feeders much. On my last place just west of Nocona I didn't start seeing a lot of deer until I got away from my feeders. Thinking of doing that on this place and see what happens..

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/15/13 01:06 AM

OK....Thanks I thought I was the only one. I'm thinking the same thing, it's gonna be a little later than previous years. I'm seeing little chasing but no big deer yet. Next week it should be big deer time!!! Gonna have to miss work tuesday thru friday.....Dang. Oh and agree doe aren't ready.

Good luck to all.
Posted By: Geezer Ranger

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/15/13 01:16 AM

Two nice bucks killed at our lease last weekend just before dark. One 8 and one 10. Both large bodied and very fat. Neither were in full rut. Necks not swollen and glands not weeping yet. We are 12 miles North of Bowie. I think we are about a week away from full on rut. The does are not ready. The cold snap should help kick things off.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/17/13 04:49 AM

Been hunting a lot in Northwestern Montague Co. Have seen smaller bucks chasing does but no big ones yet. Hope this changes any day now. High winds and a full moon and high temperatures aren't making for very good hunting weather. Anyone else hunting NW Montague county or NE Clay Co.??
Posted By: Texan 65

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/17/13 11:52 AM

Saw 1 doe Friday hunting the back of the property along the Red. The wind was crazy yesterday. Saw 5 does right at day break. Rattled a buck into the wheat field I was hunting. He was a fighter. Right antler gone and no tines on the left one. He scooted across the field and into cover pretty quickly. I did shoot two turkeys out a flock of about 40.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/18/13 05:22 AM

Sunday morning was strange, hot, high winds and full moon. Saw 3 little bucks and zero does. Bigger bucks are starting to show un on trail cameras.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/18/13 11:47 AM

I went out Sunday evening. Two minutes til shoot time was up I got a 13 pt with a drop on it's right side just a few miles East of Montague.
Posted By: kickerfishpro

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/18/13 04:56 PM

our deer were pre rut. Nothing really serious yet. Has to be getting really close. We are north of St. Jo.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/19/13 01:01 AM

Seems like just about everything is pretty much nocturnal.
Not hearing a lot of shots.

5 miles South of Bowie off Picket run Road

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/19/13 08:13 PM

Hunted Friday PM through Monday PM, I'm on the east side Lake Nocona. Had pic of 2 big 8 pts (never seen before) on camera showing up last week consistently through Thursday PM. A big 12 that was seen on camera previously up and vanished. The two 8 pts never showed back up this weekend.

The heat, wind and full moon must have messed up the timing. I saw a ton of deer in the morning and afternoon, does and young bucks. Yesterday afternoon, had a group of 5 does come in to feeder, young 6 point came in hard chasing the does around. I'm figuring the rut is about to kick off in earnest this week. And with the weather this weekend should be awesome hunting.

On a side note, the wisdom of hunting mid afternoon during full moon... sucks. I sweated the entire time and lost out on my nap. smile I'm thinking again the heat and wind had something to do with the inactivity. Hopefully see the rut in full action on Saturday through Monday.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/19/13 08:45 PM

http://s954.photobucket.com/user/mmillerdm/media/PRMS0693_zps8c53f3fb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1[/img]

http://s954.photobucket.com/user/mmillerdm/media/WGI_0057_zpsab5c20aa.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

Hopefully this image works. I think these may be the same deer. Near Nocona. I'm thinking 4 1/2 yr old? 120 - 130?

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/19/13 10:45 PM

LC hunter
That's a nice one.
Today is the first day I've seen bucks cruising around. Wind really picked up after 9:30. Only seen one young legal buck this year. Got picks of a 3.5-4.5 heavy but not tall 10. I hope I get a newbie showing up this week. I'm about 3-4 miles from ya.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/19/13 11:25 PM

Good luck to you. Maybe that 12 point that was on my place is heading to you! This is my first year in Montague. So far based on the pics of the mature ones, I'm impressed.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/19/13 11:33 PM

The rut is on !!! Had a good one (8 point) run a doe right in front of me yesterday morn. Passed him up. Might have been a mistake. This am a young 8 had a doe pend up in some trees for 2 hours. All doe I have seen have been singles now.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/20/13 12:23 AM

This is the 13 pt with drop tine tht I got just outside of Montague Sunday evening

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/20/13 01:40 AM

Awesome buck! Congrats. Cracks me up you both are in shorts. I wish I had a pair this past weekend!
Posted By: hunthard

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/20/13 02:00 AM

Nice!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/20/13 03:51 AM

I'll be there Friday. Looks like trying to keep warm and not blow over will be the biggest goal.
Posted By: Texan 65

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/20/13 12:39 PM

Cold and rainy this weekend, boys. Lotsa fire and Macallan.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/20/13 01:27 PM

Snuck away from the office Friday afternoon and shot this buck. Finally decided to get off the feeder and hunt a trial. This guy cruised by at 5:00.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/20/13 03:30 PM

Congrats!

The weather keeps getting better and better for Friday... Might need a nice scraper. Think I might just wrap the truck in camo burlap and park in a mesquite tree over a corned road.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/20/13 04:49 PM

From what I can tell, the wind is gonna ruin Friday and Saturday. Maybe if your setup is in a hole and blocks the north wind real well, might make it better for you than others. Sunday and Monday look awesome.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/20/13 05:48 PM

My neighbor shot a 170 class outside of Bonita last week.

If i could figure out photobucket id post some pics.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/20/13 06:02 PM

I am at bonita
Did it have crab claws?
Tall brow times?
Average width and basket shaped?

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/21/13 02:21 AM

Left g2 was split and lot of mass kinda palmated on both beams?

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/21/13 03:14 AM

So far, the deer are pretty much day time no shows on my place just South of Bowie. I've seen a lot of yearlings that Mama has kicked off but no chasing. Heck, I'm only seeing nocturnal deer on my game cams. Maybe I need to go when it's cold and rainy.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/21/13 01:08 PM

4 so far this morning. 3 does were at feeder until a little grouchy 4 point run em off. Little turd is still there too.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/21/13 03:54 PM

That happened to me on Monday. A little 6 running and chasing the does off. I'm jazzed about this weekend!

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/21/13 05:09 PM

I'll start my 7 day hitch saturday morning. Gonna hunt this evening for sure and maybe tomorrow if the winds stay below gale force level.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/21/13 06:46 PM

Same here
Tuesday a little six ran 7 does and fawns off my feeder. Watched an eight make a scrape. I took post hole diggers and made a 18" deep hole and filled it with corn. I then hand threw a quarter of a bag in a circle around it. I put this the opposite direction of my feeder. I got increased buck traffic from it.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/21/13 07:28 PM

Anyone have a forecast for this weekend in Montague Co.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/21/13 09:22 PM

A weather forecast? Windy and cold.

Click away.

http://www.srh.weather.gov/fwd/

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/22/13 01:29 AM

I just read the forecast for Sunday it's completely different than it was two days ago

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/22/13 02:23 AM

Front is coming through earlier than they thought. Crappy weather through Sunday. Rain, freezing rain, sleet and ice in Montague Co. through the weekend.

Re: Montague County Reports - 11/22/13 04:04 AM

Saturday looks like the better day now.
Posted By: Yildiz

Re: Montague County Reports - 07/28/14 01:52 AM

Ttt
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum