Texas Hunting Forum

help tracking??

Posted By: Bryan D

help tracking?? - 10/02/11 02:48 PM

ok everyone. I'm fairly new to bow hunting. I just shot a doe about 3 hours ago. gave her 2 hours to lay down. when I recovered the arrow at impact spot ( full pass through at 15-20 yards) there was zero blood. none on the arrow or ground. however the arrow is coated with hair and meat. I was using rage broadheads so I assume it would still be a fatal shot. deer was perfect broadside and what looked to be a perfect shot behind the shoulder.
any advice.

Posted By: bobcaslayer1

Re: help tracking?? - 10/02/11 02:56 PM

go back, slow down and try to remember which direction she ran.
start from where she was standing, and spend as much time as necessary until you find blood. If it was a vital shot there will be blood, you are just overlooking it. If you dont find blood there slowly I mean slowly start in the direction that she ran.

Re: help tracking?? - 10/02/11 03:01 PM

is it likely that there wouldn't be a blood trail? I've been on hands and knees searching for blood. I won't give up on her because I felt it was a good shot.

Posted By: Tye

Re: help tracking?? - 10/02/11 03:06 PM

Where did you see the arrow hit?(high,low,forward,back). There will be blood more than likely, but it won't be like a bullet wound. Depending on where you hit and the location of the exit wound, it might take a little while for the chest cavity to fill up and start draining out the exit. You will be looking more for small drops and not large puddles.

Go back to where you hit her and go step by step and walk in a half circle pattern in the direction she ran until you pick up the blood trail. You can also use toilet paper to mark the trail. It will help show you the direction if you loose the blood once you find it. Good Luck

By the way, just because you are using a Rage broad head doesn't mean its a lethal shot placement.FYI

Posted By: TonyUSMC

Re: help tracking?? - 10/02/11 03:12 PM

Good luck man ya got to put in time!

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: help tracking?? - 10/02/11 03:33 PM

Was she alone? If not did her fawns/other deer in her group return? Which direction did she come in from? Did you hear any deer snorting or blowing after your shot? If you did hear other deer alarmed then I would go to that area and search. Sometimes deer do not bleed for the first 50-75 yds. If you hit high or forward into the shoulders it will take a while for the blood to work its way out. The shoulders can cover the entry/exit holes up as the deer is running. If you hit low it might have been a pass thru shot on the leg muscles below the body. How long was the hair and what color? Good luck.

Re: help tracking?? - 10/02/11 03:33 PM

partial update. I did find blood. not much. few small drops about 75 yards down the trail

Re: help tracking?? - 10/02/11 03:34 PM

Mark it well and keep looking for more. up

Posted By: Mr.Broadhead

Re: help tracking?? - 10/02/11 03:41 PM

She is closer than you think, once you lose the blood they tend to be with in a couple hundered yards. walk a tight cicle from the last drop of blood expanding it by 10 yards each time. You will find her.

Posted By: TonyUSMC

Re: help tracking?? - 10/02/11 05:17 PM

Maybe go to the local co-op see if anyone hasa tracking dog. Its part of hunting I ve beat myself up bad before.

Re: help tracking?? - 10/02/11 06:01 PM

got her!! determination paid off. not only did I expand my knowledge of tracking deer. I now know where ever thorn bush is

thank you for the help y'all

Re: help tracking?? - 10/02/11 06:31 PM

Congrats man! How far did she go from the stand?

Posted By: helomech

Re: help tracking?? - 10/02/11 06:34 PM

Pics

Re: help tracking?? - 10/02/11 08:01 PM

I will get pics up as soon as I upload to photobucket. she prolly ran for a good 100-125 yards. there was only a few splotches of blood. I really think it was luck finding her

Posted By: Tye

Re: help tracking?? - 10/02/11 08:19 PM

Good Job!

Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: help tracking?? - 10/02/11 10:52 PM

There used to be a list of trackers on here but I don't know where it is anymore. If I find it I will send it to you. I had the unfortunate situation of needing one a couple years ago and I saved 2 of their phone numbers in my phone. I would recommend finding a couple in your area and saving the info just in case.

Posted By: ccrook

Re: help tracking?? - 10/03/11 12:04 AM

no mans land. It kills them but they dont bleed. Been there, aim low!!

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: help tracking?? - 10/03/11 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Bryan D
I will get pics up as soon as I upload to photobucket. she prolly ran for a good 100-125 yards. there was only a few splotches of blood. I really think it was luck finding her

Well done and congrats!!!!!

Hurry up and get her on ice

Re: help tracking?? - 10/03/11 12:20 AM

no need for ice. she's already on the grill. my wife may not care much about hunting but she sure doesn't complain to some backstrap!

even after looking her over it was a great shot. just a little high entrance with mid level exit about a inch behind her shoulder

Posted By: JakeinTX

Re: help tracking?? - 10/03/11 01:42 AM

Congrats!

Posted By: RedSnake

Re: help tracking?? - 10/03/11 02:07 AM

Doesnt sound like luck... persistence pays off. Congrats on the successful hunt AND the successful recovery.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: help tracking?? - 10/03/11 02:12 AM

Happy ending. Congrats.

Posted By: Highcountry

Re: help tracking?? - 10/03/11 02:32 AM

Good job. On the harvest and the find. It's not luck, its persistence, practice, and experience.

Posted By: TallTSupply

Re: help tracking?? - 10/03/11 04:10 AM

I shot a cull buck this weekend and had a great blood trail for about 150 then there was a pile of blood then it all stopped when the arrow broke out. We walked the whole area for three hours without any signs of him... First buck I have ever loss and its really sickening.

Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: help tracking?? - 10/03/11 03:53 PM

I lost a doe last season in a chest high CRP field. Made me sick. Followed her 50 yards to the field then 100 through it before we lost blood. 3 guys making circles arms length apart and never found her. After 3 hours of circles that covered 200 yards in pitch black we called it quits.

Posted By: Justin T

Re: help tracking?? - 10/03/11 04:12 PM

Congrats on the track job.

Posted By: glasshole

Re: help tracking?? - 10/03/11 09:16 PM

Slick Tricks..that's all I have to say...but congrats on finding that doe...there is nothing more frustrating than getting a good shot off and being so excited then not being able to find him/her. I am glad you got it all worked out and that your brothers and sisters on THF were able to help

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum