Texas Hunting Forum

carrying a pistol while deer hunting question

Posted By: redhunter

carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 01:22 PM

Can I legally carry a pistol in the field hunting on private property if I don't have my concealed license? Thinking of buying a 40 cal pistol as a sidearm.......

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 01:23 PM

NO

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...end#Post2616833

Posted By: Csddarden

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 01:24 PM

not during bow season. someone else will have to chime in if it's ok during rifle season.

Posted By: LuckenbachTexas

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 01:32 PM

Getting the concealed license fixes many problems.

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 01:33 PM

yes you can, but not during bow season.

I carry my xd40 all the time at the ranch, sissy carries the deer rifle

Posted By: redhunter

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 02:24 PM

I read the bow hunt thread and I understand that. I only rifle hunt and want to carry a pistol. Also want to carry while I'm spring turkey hunting. It's peace of mind while tredging through the deep dark wood. I am going to start the process soon of getting my concealed but until then.....

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 02:42 PM

I don't bow hunt and never try to hit the woods at ANY time of the year without a sidearm.

Posted By: kyle1974

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 02:54 PM

that is such a dumb *** loophole.... a concealed carry permit, for carrying a pistol in the middle of no where is allowed during archery, but you can't have one without it... on your own land, in the middle of no where.

Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: redhunter
I read the bow hunt thread and I understand that. I only rifle hunt and want to carry a pistol. Also want to carry while I'm spring turkey hunting. It's peace of mind while tredging through the deep dark wood. I am going to start the process soon of getting my concealed but until then.....

If you are not out there during Archery Season then no problem. A pistol is actually a legal means of hunting deer as long as it's center-fire.

Posted By: billybob

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 02:59 PM

I always have a pistol where allowable in the woods (not in state parks)...if for no other reason than to dispatch snakes. To answer your question it is allowable ALL the time without a CHL.

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 03:01 PM

I carry my 44

Posted By: thewrap

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 03:17 PM

I would think you can carry it. I wouldn't leave the trailer without mine just because hogs are so ruthless.

Posted By: Boomer57

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 03:24 PM

The book says you CAN carry a side arm while archery hunting so long as you have a CHL and it IS CONCEALED.

Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: thewrap
I would think you can carry it. I wouldn't leave the trailer without mine just because hogs are so ruthless.

. . . does anybody make a bayonet mount for a bow . . . . ? rofl

Posted By: JJSeabrook

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: billybob
I always have a pistol where allowable in the woods (not in state parks)...if for no other reason than to dispatch snakes. To answer your question it is allowable ALL the time without a CHL.

NOPE, YOU CAN'T WITHOUT A CHL DURING BOW SEASON if hunting whitetail or mule deer and turkey!

JJ

Archery and Crossbows

(see Artificial light in Restricted Methods section)

Only the archery and crossbow equipment prescribed in this section may be used for taking game animals or game birds. Archery and crossbow equipment may not be used to hunt deer during the Muzzleloader-Only Deer Season. It is unlawful to be in possession of a firearm while hunting with a broadhead HUNTING point during the Archery-Only season, except a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Texas may carry a concealed handgun. NOTE: A firearm may be possessed in camp, in a motor vehicle, or while hunting lawful game other than whitetail or mule deer and turkey (e.g., exotics, feral hogs, squirrels).

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/fish_hunt/hunt/means/

JJ

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: JJSeabrook

NOPE, YOU CAN'T WITHOUT A CHL DURING BOW SEASON if hunting whitetail or mule deer and turkey!

JJ

Archery and Crossbows

(see Artificial light in Restricted Methods section)

Only the archery and crossbow equipment prescribed in this section may be used for taking game animals or game birds. Archery and crossbow equipment may not be used to hunt deer during the Muzzleloader-Only Deer Season. It is unlawful to be in possession of a firearm while hunting with a broadhead HUNTING point during the Archery-Only season, except a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Texas may carry a concealed handgun. NOTE: A firearm may be possessed in camp, in a motor vehicle, or while hunting lawful game other than whitetail or mule deer and turkey (e.g., exotics, feral hogs, squirrels).

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/fish_hunt/hunt/means/

JJ

I stand corrected..I don't archery hunt but when I'm in the woods...filling feeders, working on blind or scouting around I have a pistol regardless of the season.

Posted By: BearkatHunter2011

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 04:31 PM

Better to be tried by 12 than carried out by 6.

Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 04:41 PM

It is NOT allowable if you are bowhunting....

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

That was always my understanding when I bowhunted. I believe than you can finish off a woounded deer with a pistol but you would have to go back to camp or the truck for it. We found an arrowed deer bedded down and head up once. I never forget the mile round trip walk back to camp for the pistol. We get back to the deer and it is dead.

Posted By: Cavscout1968

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 05:40 PM

So if you decide to not hunt a weekend but go fill you feeders, check game cams, ect you can carry a side arm. But if you have a bow with you, you can't even on private property?

That seems be kind of silly to me, I always carry a side arm into the woods. I carry it in a thigh rig up here for comfort, guess I'll have to change that once I get to Texas.

Posted By: CHASE CURTIS

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 06:39 PM

I always carry a sidearm in the woods.. Open. I have a chl but in the woods it's open.. Just not during bow season...

But hunting or not.. If I don't have a bow.. There is a sidearm on me always.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Cavscout1968
So if you decide to not hunt a weekend but go fill you feeders, check game cams, ect you can carry a side arm. But if you have a bow with you, you can't even on private property?

That seems be kind of silly to me, I always carry a side arm into the woods. I carry it in a thigh rig up here for comfort, guess I'll have to change that once I get to Texas.

Based on my experiences with LEO's in this and other states, you're far less likely to run into problems in Texas unless you're caught sitting on a stand with a bow and sidearm. IMO, Texas has the most hunter-friendly laws of any state, and fewer bow hunters who are paranoid that someone might illegally shoot "their" deer.

Posted By: bowassin

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 07:18 PM

I always carry my .45 while in the woods
Everytime

Posted By: RTF Rob

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 07:19 PM

You CAN carry a side arm with no CHL, but only during Rifle season.

During Bow season, you must have a CHL and the gun must be concealed, not on your hip in view.

Posted By: RTF Rob

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump_jumper

That was always my understanding when I bowhunted. I believe than you can finish off a woounded deer with a pistol but you would have to go back to camp or the truck for it. We found an arrowed deer bedded down and head up once. I never forget the mile round trip walk back to camp for the pistol. We get back to the deer and it is dead.

You CANNOT use a gun to finish a deer durning bow season. period. That is illegal.

Posted By: Shortysboy09

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 07:26 PM

I was thinking the same thing...

Posted By: Boomer57

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump_jumper

That was always my understanding when I bowhunted. I believe than you can finish off a woounded deer with a pistol but you would have to go back to camp or the truck for it. We found an arrowed deer bedded down and head up once. I never forget the mile

round trip walk back to camp for the pistol. We get back to the deer and it is dead.

Stump_jumper... You better not finish that archery deer with a firearm!

Posted By: MarkE

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 07:33 PM

MERCY......why the heck do we have to have pistols while hunting? There aren't any Indians out to scalp you now days. If your scared, stay at home!

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: MarkE
MERCY......why the heck do we have to have pistols while hunting? There aren't any Indians out to scalp you now days. If your scared, stay at home!

For Rattlers. I'm not wasting an arrow on one for sure. If I see one I am going render it no longer harmful...

Posted By: catchin'

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 07:37 PM

bs

Posted By: urbnat

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 07:45 PM

Last season, the hogs got so bad on my place that by the end of the season I had to literally bluff them off the road between my stand and my pickup every time I got out of the blind in the evening. I carried a pistol, but never had to use it as the hogs politely moved into the trees for me to go by and never even threatened a charge. My luck could change however and I think it is crazy not to want to carry a pistol especially when bowhunting, legal or not. I respect and understand the law, but I don't want to end up on the biting end of a porker with nothing but a stick to protect me. I would never consider shooting a deer with a firearm during archery, but it seems like this is another case of the honest getting punished for the actions of the ignorant.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Shortysboy09

For Rattlers. I'm not wasting an arrow on one for sure. If I see one I am going render it no longer harmful...

REALLY! You’re really going to be bow hunting, come across a snake, and pull out a pistol!!! WOW! What city are you from? Kind of like killing a mosquito; there will always be plenty more to take its place and you will never notice a difference whether you kill it not. Just walk around it and keep hunting. Thats just silly!

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 07:51 PM

It's not really silly... You ever been bit by one? Try that on top of being hours away from a hospital. That's not a situation you want to end up in...

We've got them so thick we have to carry sidearm walking to and from campers. They're everywhere.

Plus, call me paranoid if you want. But, my pistol is like my wallet. It goes everywhere that I do. If you think that's a little crazy to do, well then your'e a sheeple just like a lot of people. Just wandering through the world not paying attention to what's around you. Oh, that will never happen to me. It's all sunshine and butterflies.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 07:57 PM

As long as you arent bow hunting for deer, u can have ur pistola with u, and you dont have to have a CHL, and it does not have to be concealed.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 08:00 PM

I lived in Nolan County (home of the largest rattle snake round up) my whole life and go snake hunting every year. It's never really been a big deal to see one while hunting. I have yet to have one come after me if I didn't jack around with it. I could have shot more than I could ever count with a pistol.......what a waste of time, money, effort, and alot of screwed up hunts running around shootin' "snakes" while deer hunting! Makes no sense. 9 times out of 10, your not going to have time to shoot the damn snake anyway. Ask the folks that have been bit. A pistol wouldn't have done anything for them.

Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 08:02 PM

For snakes just make yourself a tall walking stick out of a piece of hard wood. You could even put a hoe end on it if desired. It would be a snake killing weapon. Would probably help with pig defense as well. That would be an alternative to a hand gun if needed.

From researching the news, actual wild hog attacks seem to be very rare. Most of the injuries are related to catching/hunting. I've had them all around me very close when sitting next to a tree turkey hunting. Not the most comfortable situation for sure.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 08:04 PM

Sorry didn't realize that was you Chuck Norris. You wrestle snakes bare handed.

I don't go looking for them. If I come across one I handle it. Rarely messes up my hunting also. I still see deer. Bottom line is I'm going to be prepared and protected.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
For snakes just make yourself a tall walking stick out of a piece of hard wood. You could even put a hoe end on it if desired. It would be a snake killing weapon. Would probably help with pig defense as well. That would be an alternative to a hand gun if needed.

From researching the news, actual wild hog attacks seem to be very rare. Most of the injuries are related to catching/hunting. I've had them all around me very close when sitting next to a tree turkey hunting. Not the most comfortable situation for sure.

Agreed! We are talking "sense" now!

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 08:11 PM

Well, John Wayne, I’m just giving you guys a hard time. If you feel more secure toting your pistol around, by all means, have at it. Truth be told, I’d bet we would all be just fine with out one. And honestly, I think more people have accidents playing with pistols than wild unprovoked animals attacking them.

Posted By: Cavscout1968

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: Cavscout1968

Based on my experiences with LEO's in this and other states, you're far less likely to run into problems in Texas unless you're caught sitting on a stand with a bow and sidearm. IMO, Texas has the most hunter-friendly laws of any state, and fewer bow hunters who are paranoid that someone might illegally shoot "their" deer.

I agree for the most part Texas does seem really hunter friendly, thats why this law seems out of wack from everything else I've read.

The only 2 things I think will be hard to get used to in Texas is hunting without an open carry side arm and the lack of public hunting/paying for a lease.

Posted By: urbnat

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 08:22 PM

Well, John Wayne, I’m just giving you guys a hard time. If you feel more secure toting your pistol around, by all means, have at it. Truth be told, I’d bet we would all be just fine with out one. And honestly, I think more people have accidents playing with pistols than wild unprovoked animals attacking them.

I agree here, not very often you get attacked, most animals will go on out of your way. Heck, I followed a bobcat to my blind one afternoon. He was about 45 yards ahead of me walking down the same trail I was. He didn't bother me and I didn't bother him. When we got to my stand about 150 yards down the trail, he kept walking and I settled in. My main concern is arrowing a hog and have him try to come into the popup with me. Not much wiggle room even in one of the big bow popups, a pistol just gives another means of "what if" nerve calming.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 08:22 PM

Glad there's some people that like to have fun without getting bent out of shape. I like the John Wayne comment.

I agree on your last point. I'd be willing to be also there's a lot more negligence accidents then animal attacks. But, you just never know what will happen. I've never personally had any animal become aggressive with me besides a mockingbird once that I think I got too close to her nest.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 08:31 PM

We've got them so thick we have to carry sidearm walking to and from campers. They're everywhere.

A garden hoe works just great......pretty quiet too.

Posted By: Adraper

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 08:48 PM

I never really thought of needing a pistol for defense against animals here in Texas. Other people maybe. I have a concealed permit but very rarely carry a handgun while hunting.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 08:51 PM

You've obviously never been hunting when pigs have young on the ground. In the past 10 years I've been attacked twice walking to my blind by an irrate sow. Dispatched the first one with a 30.06 from the hip and the second with a 45ACP. The first did manage to slice my leg to where I needed stitches. I can't believe that with all the hogs in TX that I am an isolated incident.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 08:53 PM

Quit grabbin the baby pigs billybob!

All kidding aside, I can see where this would happen.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 09:06 PM

Damn little things are too fast for me to grab or I would...sooo I just pop...pop.pop. Then

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 09:23 PM

I guess if a person did not have a CHL but wanted some type of extra good defense against non 2 legged dangers, you might be able to use the long walking stick mentioned earlier in combination with a metal trash can lid as a shield. Might be a good idea to paint the lid some darker color though.

Probably be worth reviewing the movie 300 or Troy before heading to the woods as well.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 09:43 PM

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 09:44 PM

I have never been attacked by a pig but I came dang close one time. I was walking to my tree stand before daylight to bow hunt and as I approached the area I saw my game camera flash. I figured there were already deer at the feeder so I just stopped beside a big oak tree to wait until I could see. (I rarely use a flashlight when walking in). Anyway, I was standing about 50 yards from the feeder and realized that it was not deer, but pigs. Well the sow came around by me and the little ones were at the feeder and that thing saw me and charged. She got within a couple of feet of me and slid to a stop. She kept me bayed for a good 10 minutes before finally leaving and taking her little ones with her. That was the day I started carrying my pistol with me to the stand. It was not a good feeling to be staring at a big sow holding nothing but a bow and arrow with no flashlight. I actually drew and started to shoot her between the eyes but I figured she would get me for sure if I did. Glad I didn't do that now looking back.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 10:04 PM

Three simple words describe why I prefer to carry a sidearm anywhere where I may find myself alone and remote... peace of mind

Posted By: mws

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 11:14 PM

Just carry it.

Posted By: FIREFIGHTER16

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Three simple words describe why I prefer to carry a sidearm anywhere where I may find myself alone and remote... peace of mind

Ahhhh Yes....Peace of mind with 45 slinger

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 11:56 PM

REALLY! You’re really going to be bow hunting, come across a snake, and pull out a pistol!!! WOW! What city are you from? Kind of like killing a mosquito; there will always be plenty more to take its place and you will never notice a difference whether you kill it not. Just walk around it and keep hunting. Thats just silly!

i see a snake while bowhunting and i'm gonna do whatever is neccesary to dispatch it. WHATEVER is neccesary

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/28/11 11:58 PM

i occasionally carry a pistol while deer hunting, not for personal protection(because a rifle is way more deadly than a pistol, i'm not gonna put the rifle down in lieu of the pistol) but for shooting wounded animals.

last year i shot two hogs, had three shells in my gun, had to use the third round to finish off the 2nd hog leaving me bulletless. would have much rather put a 9mm round in its head and had the extra round in the .270

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 12:44 AM

I wonder if anybody has ever had such and encounter with a GW over the subject?

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 02:33 PM

Quote:

i see a snake while bowhunting and i'm gonna do whatever is neccesary to dispatch it. WHATEVER is neccesary

Do you also "dispatch" every wasp, horse fly, fire ant, spider, and scorpion while hunting? I guess there must not be very many snakes where you guys hunt and it’s a really BIG deal when you see one if you deem it necessary to go out of your way just to kill a snake with a pistol. I know a lot of folks out here in West Texas that are farmers, ranchers, and hunters; I don’t know anyone who actually shoots snakes with their pistol. They MIGHT go out of their way to run over one if they see one…..that’s about it. After all.....it is just a SNAKE; leave them alone and it will be OK. Just imagine that big buck a couple hundred yards away that spooks and runs off due to pistols shots. Why take that chance?
Is anyone interested in a “Trophy Snake Pistol Hunt”?

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
last year i shot two hogs, had three shells in my gun, had to use the third round to finish off the 2nd hog leaving me bulletless. would have much rather put a 9mm round in its head and had the extra round in the .270

Solution - Carry a few more .270 shells.

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Boomer57
The book says you CAN carry a side arm while archery hunting so long as you have a CHL and it IS CONCEALED.

This is correct, and it must be concealed!! If it is rifle season or any other time (n ot during bow season), and you are on PRIVATE property, you can carry openly. On a side note, I recommend everyone have a CHL, even if you don't plan to carry.

If it is bow season, and someone wants to hunt pigs/coyotes (or NON game animals) with a rifle, you can. I was advised by our local game warden to contact your local game warden to let them know where you will be rifle hunting. I carry 2 busniess cards in my wallet with our local game wardens contact info and noitify them of any night hunting, or such. they are very appreciative of this!

Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 03:08 PM

I would also like to hear about any encounters... I'd venture to say the GW might be a little lenient on this particular rule.

I carry a sidearm all the time on the ranch

Snakes, hogs, coyotes, mountain lions, mad cows... Who knows what you'll run into out there.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 03:09 PM

Yes, we have!!! And we asked about this subject.

We have another funny GW story. A guy I used to hunt with tagged an 8 point buck with a Red Drum tag!! The buck/antlerless tag is in the bottom right corner. If you have your license upside down, the red drum tag is now bottom right. It was pitch dark when he was tagging the deer, so he didn't see his mistake. As luck would have it, a game warden was waiting in our camp to inspect all of us. Luckily, the hunter checked the Buck box and wrote the kill on the back of the license. the GW said if he had not done this, he would have confiscated everything in his possesion, including his truck, rifle, and everything!! He retagged the animal, and all was good. My jaw hit the floor when the GW said he used a red drum tag! I was rolling!

Posted By: Axe Man

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 03:36 PM

I really appreciate this discussion. I am going to my spot this weekend to check the feeder and game cam but will not be hunting (unless there are doves flying). I like to carry when on my property for piece of mind etc... I also usually take my two little helpers with me (6 and 4 yr old boys). They know daddy has a pistol even though I carry concealed, but having it with me makes me feel safer for them also. They have never seen me draw the firearm or take it from it's concealment while out btw and yes, we live for safety and learning the rules of the outdoors. I don't even handle the pistol when in their site.

Interesting discussion though.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 03:43 PM

If you remove it to shoot a snake it is no longer concealed. laugh

peep

Snakes, hogs, chupacabras etc would not motivate me to go to the trouble of carrying while bow hunting. Now if I was hunting in South Texas in some of the areas near the border I would sure carry, CHL or not.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 03:50 PM

Judging by I few of these posts, I’m surprise some folks aren't carrying assault rifles for rattlesnakes! If I didn’t know any better, I would be scared to death to venture out into the countryside unarmed after reading some of this stuff.

Posted By: helomech

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 04:51 PM

I carry mine, because it is my right to do so. I used to not carry, but when confronted by to very mean dogs between me and my 4 wheeler with only a bow I decided I would carry my gun from that day on no matter what.

Don't see how by taking up bow hunting I give up my 2nd amendment right to carry a gun.

Posted By: scot

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 05:00 PM

Ok, how about that traveling law? Texas says while traveling I can carry. So if I have my pistol while traveling from camp to the stand law says its ok, even with a bow...

However, not sure what legally is supposed to happen once you are at the stand?

Posted By: Choctaw

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 05:16 PM

Quote:
I carry mine, because it is my right to do so.

And there it is.

Posted By: Tres

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 05:26 PM

I carry when I bowhunt as I've had some close encounters with hogs before walking to my stand, just feel better having it. The law is absolutely idiotic, what is the reason behind only being able to carry it if you have your CHL? I don't remember them going over that in the class. And who or what am I supposed to be concealing my gun from???

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Tres
And who or what am I supposed to be concealing my gun from???

From the Game Warden it seems.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: scot
Ok, how about that traveling law? Texas says while traveling I can carry. So if I have my pistol while traveling from camp to the stand law says its ok, even with a bow...

However, not sure what legally is supposed to happen once you are at the stand?

Legally, you can carry a pistol in your vehicle anytime. But you are not hunting from your vehicle. I honestly recommend you get a CHL. It will help answer a lot of your questions. Ignorance of a law doesn't make it legal!

I have seen 2 friends get harrased (both non-CHL) and 1 taken to jail because they had a concealed pistol without informing the officer. Don't risk it, get a CHL.

Originally Posted By: Tres
I carry when I bowhunt as I've had some close encounters with hogs before walking to my stand, just feel better having it. The law is absolutely idiotic, what is the reason behind only being able to carry it if you have your CHL? I don't remember them going over that in the class. And who or what am I supposed to be concealing my gun from???

Yes, sometimes it doesn't make a lot of sense. But that's the law.

Posted By: DRT1

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 06:35 PM

i don't bother snakes, i have a chl, but i def carry a pistol now when i hunt bcuz i have found brass in my deer stand that did not belong to me. and have had pics of poachers shooting deer at my stand, i do not wanna be sitting there in the dark w/ my stand closed up and experience a 2 legged snake getting in with me while i am trying to get my 40" OF RIFLE swung around.. and i have met folks that while wrking a turkey call managed to call a hog straight to themselves and while they killed the hog w/ the shotgun they still ended up getting cut up.. everyone should take a chl course for a multitude of reasons and then decide for yourself if you wanna carry or not.

Posted By: hntnfsh

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 06:38 PM

Ok--so I handgun hunt more than I rifle hunt---I usually carry my scoped 44 mag in a bandolier holster outside my garments....I also have a CHL...
From the way you guys are talking, If a person is a CHL holder and in the field hunting, the handgun "MUST" be concealed...
Is that what I am understanding??? If thats the case its ridiculous...I mean, that is my primary firearm while legally hunting...Your rifle isnt concealed so why should my handgun have to be?? Ive looked all thru the reg book for this info and cant find anything that states this as fact...
I can understand the concealment when bowhunting tho, Ive hunted all over the U.S. and this is the first state that allows a handgun (or firearm of any kind) in your possession while bowhunting, CHL or not....I usually carry a Ruger Alaskan 44 in a shoulder holster while bowhunting hogs and will do so whitetail hunting with my bow...(protection from hogs, snakes and any 2 legged "city critters" (well, I guess there could be some 2 legged "country critters" out there too..Sasquatches/Zombies)
Can anyone give an "Accurate" definition of this (LAW?)

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: hntnfsh
Ok--so I handgun hunt more than I rifle hunt---I usually carry my scoped 44 mag in a bandolier holster outside my garments....I also have a CHL...
From the way you guys are talking, If a person is a CHL holder and in the field hunting, the handgun "MUST" be concealed...
Is that what I am understanding???

Only during bow season you can NOT carry a firearm in the open. Any other time, you can, on private property. You could carry your 44 under a garment (technically!) with your CHL. But that is a scoped "hunting" handgun. So, I don't know how that would play out legally. I wouldn't take it. I would carry a more traditional defensive handgun.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Originally Posted By: Boomer57

This is correct, and it must be concealed!! If it is rifle season or any other time (n ot during bow season), and you are on PRIVATE property, you can carry openly. On a side note, I recommend everyone have a CHL, even if you don't plan to carry.

This makes complete sense when you think about. Unfortunately, not all states pay as close attention to Second Amendment rights.

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/29/11 10:54 PM

Snakes aren't all that bad to land owners. He kills an awful lot of mice and rats every year. And 99.9% of the time you will never see him.

Unless they are around the house or barn I don't mess with them. We walk(or crawl) around each other and I'm kind of happy that I got to see one.

After many, many years in the brush I've only been actually attacked once.

If you are leasing, you had better ask the land owner how he feels about you killing anything that isn't a game animal.

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 09/30/11 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
Snakes aren't all that bad to land owners. He kills an awful lot of mice and rats every year. And 99.9% of the time you will never see him.

Unless they are around the house or barn I don't mess with them. We walk(or crawl) around each other and I'm kind of happy that I got to see one.

After many, many years in the brush I've only been actually attacked once.

Tell those city slickers how it is!

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 10/04/11 06:04 PM

I lived in Nolan County (home of the largest rattle snake round up) my whole life and go snake hunting every year. It's never really been a big deal to see one while hunting. I have yet to have one come after me if I didn't jack around with it. I could have shot more than I could ever count with a pistol.......what a waste of time, money, effort, and alot of screwed up hunts running around shootin' "snakes" while deer hunting! Makes no sense. 9 times out of 10, your not going to have time to shoot the damn snake anyway. Ask the folks that have been bit. A pistol wouldn't have done anything for them.

The only time I have used a gun to kill a rattlesnake was when I was not on the ground. I shot one crossing a road one night while spotting varmints and once out of a tree stand while turkey hunting. It was getting cool and I could see that snake settling in for the night right under my ladder. If I am on the ground than all it takes is a stick or rock.

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 10/04/11 06:53 PM

I keep reading over and over again how y'all carry for piece of mind. I carry everyday because I have to. I go to my deer lease to unwind. It's one of the few places that I feel totally relaxed enough to not feel the need to carry a sidearm. If I see a rattle snake I go around him.

The last 3 years I was hunting 20 miles from the Mexican Border. I never once had the need to have a sidearm nor did I feel the need to carry one.

Posted By: huntandfish

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 10/04/11 10:53 PM

remember your bowhunting hogs! Simple enough

Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 10/05/11 02:29 PM

At our place we won't leave the camp without one just because of the hogs...

Posted By: psycho0819

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 10/06/11 04:51 AM

I've never concerned myself with carrying a side arm while hunting. If I see a poisonous snake while I'm out bow hunting I just give it a wide berth, usually the same while rifle hunting. If you get bit by a snake you had time to shoot with a pistol, consider yourself a candidate for the darwin award of the year! I am there to hunt deer, maybe stick a piggie or yote, so i'm not going to be popping off rounds with a pistol. I suppose if I hunted a place down on the border then i might think a little differently. But i don't, so i don't.

If I am rifle hunting, I definitely don't need a sidearm. At the ready, with finger on the safety if I feel threatened. But our hogs are not the killer hogs that so many others seem to have either. If given half a chance, they are gone at the first hint of man. The only one I ever had charge me already had a bullet in it, and it took another bullet square in the top of the head about 4' from me. Yes, the adrenaline was flowing a bit after that encounter.

I have seen trapped pigs take some point blank taps to the top of the head with semi-auto pistols and keep on running around the trap. If you're gonna carry a pistola for pigs, you better have a mag round (357, 41, 44, etc) if you wanna stop a decent size hog from charging. 9mm's, 40's, and even 45acp's are most likely not going to have the desired effect if a decent size pig comes after you. You might change their mind, but it will not stop them if they have a mind to get ya!

Posted By: DudleyDoRight76

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 10/06/11 03:12 PM

I carry my 40 everytime i step in the woods. No matter what.
They will have to pry it outta my cold dead hands!

Posted By: mattm

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 10/06/11 05:43 PM

The answer seems to have been covered very thoroughly, but I've heard that if you do have a CHL, then you HAVE to conceal it. Anyone else hear that?

Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 10/06/11 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: mattm
The answer seems to have been covered very thoroughly, but I've heard that if you do have a CHL, then you HAVE to conceal it. Anyone else hear that?

Yes, it's called a CHL - Concealed Handgun License...

Posted By: Erich

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 10/08/11 05:43 PM

if you are on private property, you can carry a pistol whenever and however you want. bow season, any season. makes no difference. now if you have a pistol in the bow blind and a warden determines that through something he observed that you were hunting with it. then thats his call. but you can carry it. if the intent of the pistol is snakes, then load it with snake-shot and that should remove all doubt about its intent.

keep in mind that if you are on private property that is leased, you still need owner permission. other than that though, you can do as you like in carrying it.

Posted By: Erich

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 10/08/11 05:57 PM

the purpose of the way the law is written, is that a pistol cannot lawfully be used to dispatch a deer that is wounded in archery only season. its not a legal weapon for deer hunting during an archery only season. if the intent of the pistol is not for use on a deer, then you're fine. thats a game wardens call though. if you're in a hunting situation where hogs and or other exotic game are also potential targets, then i think you've got plentry argument that deer were not the only game you were hunting.

the language about the CHL is because if you are in a deer only situation, you could still also posess the weapon for personal protection. at that point though you should also abide with typical rules for that purpose. a weapon worn under a CHL permit for protection is not supposed to be worn in sight.

there is no otherise reason to need to follow CHL regulations on private property.

thats how i read that. i could be wrong maybe, but its what im going with.

Posted By: Tatsun

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 11/06/11 11:01 PM

I always carry my sidearm with me when I hunt during rifle, my Springfield Armory XD .45. I carry it for many reasons, such as piece of mind, snakes, hogs, or any other creature in nature that I may need to take down before they do the same to me, but my most important reason is to put down wounded deer. Just this opening day it came in handy. I took a Doe in the afternoon with my 30-06, but the shot went high and seperated her spine, I walked up, and had my .45 and put her down with it. Its much easier, quicker, and does not make as big of a hole. Just my 0.02 on this.

Posted By: piney woods hunter

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 11/07/11 03:44 AM

on private land u can carry handgun openly at all times even when filling feeders during bow season, read the law to be deer hunting in bow season u can,t have a broadhead and firearm togathier thats what i get out of it

Posted By: Stax

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 11/09/11 02:32 AM

Judging by I few of these posts, I’m surprise some folks aren't carrying assault rifles for rattlesnakes! If I didn’t know any better, I would be scared to death to venture out into the countryside unarmed after reading some of this stuff.

You one of those manly men, huh Marcus... bs...If a guy wants to carry a pistol does that make him less of man where you live???...You have piled on the last 5 post I have seen with nothing but smack talking...Guys like you crack me up!

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 11/09/11 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Stax08

You one of those manly men, huh Marcus... bs...If a guy wants to carry a pistol does that make him less of man where you live???...You have piled on the last 5 post I have seen with nothing but smack talking...Guys like you crack me up!

popcorn

Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: carrying a pistol while deer hunting question - 11/09/11 02:39 AM

Yes if in rifle, no if in bow
Seasons, that is

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum