Texas Hunting Forum

Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH

Posted By: steve_twice

Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 01:03 AM

My 6 year old joined Cub Scouts this year. Just found out that the big Fall camp out is (wait for it) first weekend of November. Deep breaths.
bang bang bang bang

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 01:05 AM

Nothing better than a Fall Camp Out with Dad at the deer lease up

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 02:24 AM

The Den Leader must be a communist.

Posted By: ETXbuckman

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 02:50 AM

Looks like they violated their own code and weren't prepared for this one. There'll be plenty of future campouts. Deer season only opens once a year.

I say take your boy to deer camp and y'all can sleep in a tent. He'll be camping and you'll be hunting. It's a win-win.

Posted By: quackaholic1

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 02:53 AM

Steve you will never regret spending time with him on campouts and other scout activities. Have fun and enjoy him while hes young. They grow up so so fast.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 03:00 AM

My son is about 3 months from Eagle Scout. It is a great trip. Enjoy the ride.

Posted By: bigjohn

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 03:02 AM

Been there and made it through. With 2 boys. There will be plenty of opening weekends after your son graduates to Boy Scouts. up

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 03:18 AM

You can never get back that experience with your boy....but what in the heck was his scout leader thinking bang

Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 03:22 AM

Dude, if you are in Circle 10, it doesn't get any better. Every year, they schedule something for opening weekend whether it be at the pack, troop, or council level. I have been beating my head against the wall for 7 years now.

Posted By: steve_twice

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 03:23 AM

Thanks guys. I love my boy more than anything. And he loves the deer lease more than anything. So I think I just won't tell him it's opening weekend ...

Posted By: BMD

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 03:24 AM

That would be the end of scout, take him hunting!

Posted By: boonee

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 03:32 AM

yep,cub scouts,baseball, football, soccer, then High School. My son got us season tickets to Texas Motor Speedway,guess what? opening weekend! Went on sunday for a few years, we let them go this year! BUT now hes grown up out of collage, an we got to race together for 5 years, then we both retired from that habit.Now we reload and shoot,every chance we can! They grow up too fast!

Posted By: bigjohn

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: steve_twice
Thanks guys. I love my boy more than anything. And he loves the deer lease more than anything. So I think I just won't tell him it's opening weekend ...

It doesn't get any better than that up

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 03:37 AM

upgood man Steve. hopefully there's a biggun with your name on it for waiting a few days.up

Posted By: glasshole

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 04:33 AM

This is the best post on here...I read all the replys and I agree with them all...tough choices but deer season comes and goes...you will always have time to do that...I grew up with a father that sucked...YOu and your son will appreciate it more than you know...the whole "Cat's in the Cradle thing" Sorry Just having a flashback...have a good time...and plus, when was the last time you got to go camping in 100 degree weather

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 05:03 AM

Take him the weekend before for youth weekend! I know I will be!

Posted By: Maxed-out

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 05:12 AM

my ex wife signed my daughter up for soccer and she has a game every saturday till mid november. i am not to happy that i didnt even get asked about this.

Posted By: SatNiteSpec

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 05:16 AM

Just do like I did. I became the Cubmaster so that they can't pull that trick again. I, so far, have been able to schedule the campouts around opening weekends. That and your son can see that you want to be an active part in something that will last him a lifetime.

Posted By: Rafter F

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 05:18 AM

I'm looking at my son asleep on the floor. He's a senior this year. Have an open weekend in the football schedule next weekend. We have our dove hunt planned for then. I don't wanna miss a thing he has going on. My daughter is on the couch. Missed many opening days with her high school schedule before she graduated. Wouldn't trade one moment for any of those memories. They grow up way too fast! Enjoy your weekend with your son. You can't get those times back.
B-Ray

Posted By: glasshole

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 05:56 AM

Chad...that's a great Idea...I never thought about that

Posted By: bb1379

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 12:45 PM

it seemed every weekend we wanted to do something our son had a campout or activity. you notice the word HAD.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Maxed-out
my ex wife signed my daughter up for soccer and she has a game every saturday till mid november. i am not to happy that i didnt even get asked about this.

Sorry dude but I would miss those. I hate soccer.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 02:39 PM

I was a scout for all of about 30 minutes. We didnt care for it much.

Personaly I would give the kid the choice, ask him if he wants to go camp out or if he wants to go to the deer lease and let him choose.

I know when I was a kid I would have said lets go hunting daddy!

matt

Posted By: Western

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: bigjohn
Originally Posted By: steve_twice

It doesn't get any better than that up

X's 2, That photo is the best "wall hanger " a man could have.

I have three son's, from 24 to 30, I missed allot of those times due to my job, I would gladly give up a couple of mounts to have those years back.

Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/08/11 06:24 PM

My folks just took me camping. Never did the boy scout thing. Most of the kids in scouts were a little odd anyways.

Posted By: D Red Raider

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/09/11 02:58 AM

I can't remember every opening weekend over the past 25 years, but I'll never forget those times spent with my son. His birthday in on Nov 4th, so I missed some opening days to be at a birthday party with a bunch of screaming kids. At the time it was aggrevating, but I wouldn't swap those days for all the 150s in Brown County...

Posted By: TexasPI

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/09/11 03:44 AM

I can't imagine not being able to give up a weekend hunting for a son. Have a great time with your son at the camp out and take him hunting as much as you are able for the rest of the season. Why not give him the exposure to both activities? I was fortunate enough to be involved in scouting (Eagle Scout) and hunted to my heart's content. I am thankful to this day for having had the opportunity to do both.

Posted By: taking5kidshunting

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/09/11 12:21 PM

Regardless of your choice, be sure you take him out for Youth Weekend (October 29-30). My 9 year old got her first deer last year that weekend, my 11 year old shot her 4th buck the dame day...one of 'em sitting with mom and one with me. Gotta love it. Youth weekend is opening weekend when blessed with kids.

Posted By: DeerSmokeScreen.com

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/09/11 01:56 PM

The best money and time that I have ever spent is on our kids.

Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/09/11 02:29 PM

Be Positive - coulda been "Brownies" (We had girls)

Posted By: Chaser42

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/09/11 03:46 PM

I ask my son every year if he wants to sign up for fall sports and activities. He always says he rather go hunting. And he's only 6.

Posted By: TxTechsan

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/09/11 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Take him the weekend before for youth weekend! I know I will be!

Here is your answer. If he really is into hunting make the entire trip about him and go on youth weekend.

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/09/11 11:48 PM

I gave up a lot of hunting trips due to all the conflicts of schedules with my kids and then later the grand kids and it' still going on.

Just something to think about though is when it's all said and done, they grow up faster than you realize, and when you look back you haven't missed all that much if you miss a few days at the lease.

Most of the time the first part of the season isn't all that great for hunting anyway, and there are a lot more days ahead when you'll be able to hunt alone or together, once they are grown and have their own lives and even children to raise.

Posted By: Mogombie

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/10/11 01:24 PM

I think your very lucky in many ways. A good friend of mines wife scheduled a surprise cruise for his birthday on opening weekend. I told him I would keep a eye on his feeder for him!

Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: Cub Scouts - AGHHHHHHH - 09/10/11 01:39 PM

I just got my eagle about two months ago. Take him while he still loves it because I can guarantee once he is half way through boy scouts he is gonna be begging you to either quit or skip all of the campouts.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum