Texas Hunting Forum

South Texas bucks

Posted By: LK0518

South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 04:10 AM

Does anybody have an pics of their bucks from south tx this year..around Hebbronville? On a new lease and are waiting on pics...

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 12:31 PM

heb can be a good area.

my buddy hunts in bruni and they have some nice bucks killed.

be patient, don't shoot the first decent buck you see.

Posted By: san diego hunter

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 12:45 PM

Here are some from the San Diego area, havent seen bigs ones but atleast they are there. Hopefully the pics are not too big.

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 01:07 PM

Thanks...yeah I have heard there are good bucks in that area. I guess we will see!

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 01:08 PM

Thanks for the pics. How long have you hunted that area?

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 01:20 PM

We have had land in this area for over 2 years but just now really getting into hunting. We are just on the north side of San Diego.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 02:17 PM

We havent been down in about a month, last round of pictures showed them with beams starting and out to where they start g2's. Going back down this weekend. We hunt souther duval Co. Have heard alot of good and bad about the area. So far our experiences have been good.

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 02:53 PM

Here's a buck my buddy killed in bruni. not a bad one but there are bigger in the area.

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 03:39 PM

Nice looking buck, hope I see one like that. If not then I will probably shoot a doe on the last day of the season.

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 04:16 PM

That's a great buck! I would be very happy to see deer like that down there! We are going down this weekend to check cams and set up a few more blinds so we will hopefully have a descent idea of what to expect this year.

thanks for the info

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Here's a buck my buddy killed in bruni. not a bad one but there are bigger in the area.

Dark horns and red dirt, great pic and nice looking deer.

matt

Posted By: BK5

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 06:10 PM

That's a great buck. I'll be looking for one of those this year I'm on a lease in hebbronville area as like LK.

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 06:11 PM

Anymore pics of deer from south Texas? Jim Hogg county area?

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 07:18 PM

its good country, love those motts.

wish i could comment on the deer hunting down there but i'm too hung up on their quail

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 08:16 PM

Those big ol' bucks down there don't like to move much when it's hot. So when the temps drop get your behind in a stand. I've been sitting in a stand when it was hot and muggy with no deer activity. A front blew through during the hunt and within 5 min. deer were everywhere.

The rut hits late down there. Start hunting hard the week before Christmas through the end of the general season.

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 08:21 PM

I have never hunted South Texas before, therefore I've always hunted the rut in November. I have heard the rut is later down there but I did not know it was that late. Thanks for the info..

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: LK0518
I have never hunted South Texas before, therefore I've always hunted the rut in November. I have heard the rut is later down there but I did not know it was that late. Thanks for the info..

again, as stated, don't shoot the first decent deer you see.

if your hunting any kind of significant acreage, i would hold out for at least a 150 class buck

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 09:14 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll be in the stand a lot this season

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/25/11 09:14 PM

Get a good tailgate feeder and get ready to burn through lots of corn. My experiences in S. Texas are that deer don't tend to bunch up at feeders like elsewhere in the state. They will swarm to a corned sendero or road though. I call my tailgate feeder "The Dinnerbell".

When cold, drizzly, rainy, nasty weather hits in S. Texas and it happens to be during the rut, you need to plan on hunting all day. The bucks will be running.

I bought a Forever Lasts tailgate feeder from Academy and it's worked verywell for several years now.

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/26/11 03:39 AM

Yes we've been tailgate feeding a little bit lately and have seen a good amount of deer but lots of hogs as well, which is to be expected down there. Just can't wait till season to start. Did you ever see any mature bucks early in the season when they still are on feeding patterns?

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/26/11 01:32 PM

on a good ranch you'll see mature bucks all season, just more of them during the rut.

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/26/11 02:11 PM

On our lease we'd see mature bucks here and there but most were young to middle aged (3-4 yoa). The older bucks really started showing up during the rut and extended cold snaps. Prior to the rut you'd most often see mature at first light and then again at last light. They generally didn't hang around too long after sun-up.

Posted By: Sycotic Offroad

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/28/11 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Dark horns and red dirt, great pic and nice looking deer.

matt

Really nice buck!

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/28/11 10:04 PM

Here are a couple more.

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/28/11 11:15 PM

tht ten pointer in the top pic is gonna be a fairly decent buck in a few years.

have ya'll given any thought to high fencing?

Re: South Texas bucks - 08/28/11 11:33 PM

For the time being we are not, most of what we let walk shows back up the next year. I think the two bucks are 3.5 each and yeah we want to give them more time. Hi fence is a last resort kinda thing for us, not against them but if we can make what we want of it without the expense and stuff we will.

matt

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum