Texas Hunting Forum

Dead Deer

Posted By: Branden

Dead Deer - 07/11/11 12:16 AM

Talked to our rancher out in Childress and he had stated that there is a good number of deer starting to be found dead through out the county from dehydration, hope who hunts out there have water on there place..They have not had rain since deer season of last year..They have had temps of 100 48days in a row now..Most days have been 110-117' in the last few weeks..Pray for some rain out there..

Posted By: JCB

Re: Dead Deer - 07/11/11 12:20 AM

flame

Posted By: jim1961

Re: Dead Deer - 07/11/11 01:35 AM

Thats bad

Posted By: Big.Man

Re: Dead Deer - 07/11/11 01:36 AM

rain plz rain!!!up north!!!

Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: Dead Deer - 07/11/11 11:56 AM

Was at the lease on Saturday, between Rising Star and Cross Plains, and the tanks are starting to look low. None of them are empty yet....... WE SURE NEED SOME RAIN though!

Posted By: MathewsBowMan

Re: Dead Deer - 07/11/11 12:25 PM

I'm just east of Shamrock and my ranchers are finding some dead fawns but no adult dead deer so far. I found a dead fawn this weekend also. We drove around and still see lots of deer on the leases but what was very odd is I didn't see any does with 2 fawns they were all singles. My guess is that can't support 2 and it's mother natures way of working it out.
Very HOT and dry and the 10 day forcast is just like last weeks.

Re: Dead Deer - 07/11/11 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: MathewsBowMan
I'm just east of Shamrock and my ranchers are finding some dead fawns but no adult dead deer so far. I found a dead fawn this weekend also. We drove around and still see lots of deer on the leases but what was very odd is I didn't see any does with 2 fawns they were all singles. My guess is that can't support 2 and it's mother natures way of working it out.
Very HOT and dry and the 10 day forcast is just like last weeks.

Now that you have mentioned that about the 2 fawns this year I have not seen any my self...seen tons of twins last year..

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Dead Deer - 07/11/11 02:55 PM

At the lease near San Angelo, the rancher has found a few dead fawns. Still seeing plenty of adult deer, but he did mention the number of fawns that he is seeing is way down from what he is used to seeing.

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Dead Deer - 07/11/11 03:22 PM

I think im going to my lease this weekend to set up my new deer blind. Hopefully some of our tanks still have water!

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Dead Deer - 07/11/11 04:36 PM

Quote:
Most days have been 110-117' in the last few weeks..Pray for some rain out there..

Is this with some kind of heat index? That sounds pretty crazy hot to me.

We still have does with twins, no lost deer that we know of from this year. We have year round free choice protein spin corn and water stations at most blinds pluss a couple cattle trouphs and a tank.

Also we have timed waterers set up on a couple trees we planted that will make a puddle around the trees, the deer quail and rabits know when the waterer goes off and start showing up a little before, just like it is a feeder! We could sure use some rain.

matt

Re: Dead Deer - 07/11/11 04:42 PM

Yea it sounded crazy to me when he told me then about a week ago I heard it on the news about being 117 in childress some guys at work were also talking about them hearing it to..Its probley the index like you said..We also have water trouphs at are place ran off solor.

Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: Dead Deer - 07/11/11 11:53 PM

MatthewsBM-
Hows the area east of McLean off I-40?
Any rain at all?
Antler growth?
Ive hunted gray and donley county line.

Posted By: MikeC

Re: Dead Deer - 07/12/11 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Branden
Yea it sounded crazy to me when he told me then about a week ago I heard it on the news about being 117 in childress some guys at work were also talking about them hearing it to..Its probley the index like you said..We also have water trouphs at are place ran off solor.

Folks I know at Vernon say it's the actual temp. Our lease is between Vernon and Childress and I have temps from the game cams of 123. Now I think those cant be accurate but it still has to get pretty hot for the cameras to report temps that high.

Posted By: Spent Brass

Re: Dead Deer - 07/12/11 02:06 AM

No dead deer here, yet. The fawn crop is small this year. Last year I had two does with twins and one with triplets, but they've all been singles so far this year.

Pray for rain!

Posted By: Bulldog4949

Re: Dead Deer - 07/12/11 11:11 AM

I live in Pampa(gray county) and hunt wheeler county. Average rainfall is 10" and we have recieved 2" this year. Down in mcclean, wellington, shamrock they got upwards of an inch or more last night and right now as well. Its dry dry up here. Deer look decent but I am worried about the bucks growing to full potential. Don't think it will happen. The sweetwater creek runs through our 12 section ranch and its dry. Totally. So I am thinking doe only harvest this year unless a freak cull deer presents itself.

Re: Dead Deer - 07/12/11 11:14 AM

Also Saturday it was 106 in Pampa. We have seen temps of 106-112 actual temp. That is WAY out of normal for us. So it is bad up here for sure. They are talking like next week a storm system is looking promising for us. We shall see

Posted By: MathewsBowMan

Re: Dead Deer - 07/12/11 12:00 PM

Longhorn Cop
East of Mclean has received a little more rain than Shamrock but not much. They still need rain just like us.
However I'm looking at radar now and it says it's raining in Shamrock. I'm waiting to hear from my ranchers to see if we got any and how much.

Re: Dead Deer - 07/12/11 12:54 PM

We just got dumped on. East got rain also. Heard mclean had 0.70". Not bad.

Re: Dead Deer - 07/12/11 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeC

Folks I know at Vernon say it's the actual temp. Our lease is between Vernon and Childress and I have temps from the game cams of 123. Now I think those cant be accurate but it still has to get pretty hot for the cameras to report temps that high.

Our game cams have reported temps into the 150's.. pretty inacurate if you ask me.

matt

Re: Dead Deer - 07/12/11 06:24 PM

I did some lookin and the highest temp I found was 117 on June 26, 2011... man thats hot fellas. That is an un adjusted actual temerature and a new record breaking the old one for that day of 108 which was set in 1994.

The 117 was the hotest recorded for june and july though.

matt

Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: Dead Deer - 07/12/11 07:06 PM

Thanks guys.
Im praying for rain for you all.

Posted By: urbnat

Re: Dead Deer - 07/12/11 07:31 PM

Tanks are low and temps are crazy hot in Knox County, but on the upside, the low tanks mean good frog hunting. If you can find a tank with water, then fresh frog legs for supper!

Posted By: HICKORY12

Re: Dead Deer - 07/12/11 07:43 PM

Its bad even in east Texas.

Re: Dead Deer - 07/12/11 09:58 PM

Each storm that has had the chance of rain up there has totally gone right around childress, Vernon, and hardeman we need it bad..

Posted By: reeder05

Re: Dead Deer - 07/13/11 04:13 PM

I just got off the phone with our rancher.... Not lookin good.

We hunt 17k acres in Briscoe Co. Haven't seen a drop of rain since October with about 2" of snow in Feb. He said that all but 2 of the 15+ tanks we have are dry. The biggest tank, which was loaded with bass is completely dry.

He is relying on windmills right now to keep water, but then he is still hauling water 8 hours a day. Said even the cedars are browning up....

We are heading up this weekend to fill feeders, and are taking water with us to help with some of the windmills.

He said the litle 1/2" rain we got yesterday was well appreciated, but its not gonna do it.

Not a good year. flame

Posted By: Alec Castonguay

Re: Dead Deer - 07/13/11 06:28 PM

Man this is horrible!! I am getting very nervous 2 out of my 3 ponds have dried up! WE NEED RAIN!!!!

Posted By: jhptxrancher

Re: Dead Deer - 07/14/11 01:50 AM

We hunt north of Bigfoot near Devine, Tx. Of 3 stock tanks, 1 is dry, 2nd has about a 12" left, and the 3rd is on a electric submersible pump for a light pressure well. That one is staying full but the electric bill for the pump is double what we would usually pay. We are trying to figure out the cost to run pipe from the irrigation well to the 2nd tank. Wish I could afford to do that and drill a 3rd well for the 1st tank but that is $30k!

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Dead Deer - 07/14/11 01:58 AM

found one dead axis yearling last week.

none else that i've found. If it wern't for our wells i'm certain that our lake would have been dry by now.

Pray for rain!!!!

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Dead Deer - 07/14/11 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: jhptxrancher
We hunt north of Bigfoot near Devine, Tx. Of 3 stock tanks, 1 is dry, 2nd has about a 12" left, and the 3rd is on a electric submersible pump for a light pressure well. That one is staying full but the electric bill for the pump is double what we would usually pay. We are trying to figure out the cost to run pipe from the irrigation well to the 2nd tank. Wish I could afford to do that and drill a 3rd well for the 1st tank but that is $30k!

http://www.quickline.cc/index.html
Call these guys and see what they can do for you on the pipe. I have used them and I cannot buy the pipe for what they could sell me the pipe and install the pipe for.

Re: Dead Deer - 07/21/11 05:57 PM

Well I talked to the guy that takes care of our place lastnight, and he stated the other day in the local newspaper that they are finding adult deer dead now..Im headed out this weekend to install 3 more water stations and 6 more feeders..They got 2 inch of rain last tuesday so its better then none. We need more

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Dead Deer - 07/21/11 06:04 PM

Well I talked to the guy that takes care of our place lastnight, and he stated the other day in the local newspaper that they are finding adult deer dead now..Im headed out this weekend to install 3 more water stations and 6 more feeders..They got 2 inch of rain last tuesday so its better then none. We need more

You were lucky I did not see 2 in any of the LCRA gauges. I was expecting to after seeing the radar. Especially th southern area.

Posted By: YankeeATX

Re: Dead Deer - 07/21/11 08:27 PM

We need rain all across the state, it's been a hot summer and still got over a month of it to go... flame texas flame

Posted By: aeb

Re: Dead Deer - 07/22/11 12:16 AM

The majority of my tanks are already dry and we have no underground water available in our area. Hauling water to the deer stations. By the end of next month, I anticipate having water on only one of my six properties. Our century old family ranching business is SOL.

Posted By: proudveteran74

Re: Dead Deer - 07/24/11 08:43 AM

I read an article that was saying we'd see a smaller fawn production and smaller bucks this year due to the drought. Don't know if it's true but not good to hear anyway.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum