Texas Hunting Forum

Load Em Up- Dr. James Kroll

Posted By: cable

Load Em Up- Dr. James Kroll - 05/09/11 05:15 PM

Makes a return visit to the show this weekend. Gonna focus on offseason management. Feel free to post anything you might like me to ask Dr. Deer. Lemme hear from ya.

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Load Em Up- Dr. James Kroll - 05/09/11 07:17 PM

I have never heard anyone address the theory that eventually narrow non-AR legal deer will take over as they will be able to breed longer than AR legal deer. My focus here is mainly selfish as we have deer that are mature but we can't touch. If they breed for 7 or 8 years while the legal bucks breed for 4 or 5, it makes sense to me eventually the non-legal bucks are going to be the typical average.

Posted By: rsquared

Re: Load Em Up- Dr. James Kroll - 05/09/11 07:27 PM

i would like to hear his thoughts on doe management.

specifically on
1) taking out does early vs later (or does it matter when)
2) does he think it is important to focus on age classes of harvested does in a management plan.

Re: Load Em Up- Dr. James Kroll - 05/09/11 07:39 PM

I will get him to address these issues for you guys.

Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: Load Em Up- Dr. James Kroll - 05/10/11 12:05 AM

Maybe ask him about the whitetail muley hybrid/ cross.
His thoughts on the topic and how often, if ever, does it occur?

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Load Em Up- Dr. James Kroll - 05/10/11 12:24 AM

Ask him his opinion about fat levels in protein pellets and whether deer can handle more than 2.5% and if it's good for them. How much can they handle?

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Load Em Up- Dr. James Kroll - 05/10/11 12:28 AM

PS: if you can get it in, ask him about Whole Cotton Seed, how much can they (whitetails) take and for how long?

Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: Load Em Up- Dr. James Kroll - 05/10/11 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: rsquared
i would like to hear his thoughts on doe management.

specifically on
1) taking out does early vs later (or does it matter when)
2) does he think it is important to focus on age classes of harvested does in a management plan.

Good question!

Posted By: Rustler

Re: Load Em Up- Dr. James Kroll - 05/10/11 12:45 PM

I'd be interested to hear what his opinion is on what the "best" specific nutritional content is of readily available protein pellet
In other words specifically what we do and don't want to see on the label.

After 3 years of food plot failure due to lack of rain at the right time I'm considering going back to supplemental feeding.

Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Load Em Up- Dr. James Kroll - 05/10/11 01:26 PM

Is it better to have more smaller food plots than a few larger ones if the total acreage is the same? What is the best forage for the spring/summer plots?

Re: Load Em Up- Dr. James Kroll - 05/10/11 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Rustler
I'd be interested to hear what his opinion is on what the "best" specific nutritional content is of readily available protein pellet
In other words specifically what we do and don't want to see on the label.

After 3 years of food plot failure due to lack of rain at the right time I'm considering going back to supplemental feeding.

Lots of good stuff ya'll keep em coming cheers

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Load Em Up- Dr. James Kroll - 05/10/11 03:55 PM

Can't wait to hear some of his answers. Too bad I can't catch you live show, I do listen to alot of the archived ones though.

Posted By: TXW

Re: Load Em Up- Dr. James Kroll - 05/10/11 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
I have never heard anyone address the theory that eventually narrow non-AR legal deer will take over as they will be able to breed longer than AR legal deer. My focus here is mainly selfish as we have deer that are mature but we can't touch. If they breed for 7 or 8 years while the legal bucks breed for 4 or 5, it makes sense to me eventually the non-legal bucks are going to be the typical average.

X2

Posted By: DiverTexas

Re: Load Em Up- Dr. James Kroll - 05/10/11 05:28 PM

I would tell you to ask him what he thought about our WMA concentrating on killing spikes, but I already know what his answer would be.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum