Texas Hunting Forum

Chaffhaye alfalfa

Posted By: TX35

Chaffhaye alfalfa - 05/03/11 06:20 PM

Well, since my lease burned pretty well in Palo Pinto county, & there isn't any forage around, I thought I would put out some of the Chaffhaye Alfalfa. My feeder made it through somehow, & I have a corn/soybean mix in it, with some antlermax too. I put my camera back up to see what, if any of the deer are coming back. The strange thing is, the morning of Friday April 16, which was the morning after the fires came through, I saw a single deer hoof print on top of the burned ground!! I'm just praying all the animals made it & come back.... Again, Thank you Lord for the rain!!!

Posted By: rsquared

Re: Chaffhaye alfalfa - 05/03/11 09:48 PM

our deer love chaffhaye, as do the exotics.

was that your question?

and sorry about any losses from the fire.

Posted By: Erich

Re: Chaffhaye alfalfa - 05/03/11 10:56 PM

don't give up on them. i know it sucks to see a place burn. our place down south burned largely in a brush fire a couple years ago the last time it got bad dry. trail cameras caught pictures of deer the evening after the fire. animals will move back into the area pretty quickly. especially if there's something there for them to eat.

Posted By: HICKORY12

Re: Chaffhaye alfalfa - 05/04/11 01:37 PM

If you can get a good rain now, your grass and browse will come back better than ever. Probably most of the deer will be back too. I live in East Texas next to the Davy Crockett national Forest. Every year the forest service burns the underbrush and it actually makes for better grass and browse. The deer always are back within days after a burn.

Posted By: jim1961

Re: Chaffhaye alfalfa - 05/04/11 03:43 PM

the chaffhaye will draw them if they are still around, good luck

Posted By: TX35

Re: Chaffhaye alfalfa - 05/04/11 07:06 PM

We did get some rain over the W/E, & I do hope we get some new growth. I just want to help them along in the meantime...

Thanks Gentlemen!!

Posted By: wellingtontx

Re: Chaffhaye alfalfa - 05/09/11 10:33 PM

When range conditions were much better than they are now, I couldnt get anything to touch Chaffhaye; however, I bet they would now.

Posted By: MeTxLady

Re: Chaffhaye alfalfa - 10/05/11 03:24 PM

Hickory12, My husband and I just moved to Ratcliff and our property also borders the Davy Crockett on 2 sides. We are trying to feed Chaffhaye Alfalfa along with the corn to improve the deer quality and provide more food in this dry season. Have you fed this or any other protein successfully? They aren't eating it yet - it's been 2 days only. Thanks for any advice!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum