Texas Hunting Forum

Williamson Coutny

Posted By: Buckhog

Williamson Coutny - 03/25/11 02:08 PM

Does anyone know how the hunting is in Florence Texas off of hwy 195.

Posted By: 1BADMO

Re: Williamson Coutny - 03/25/11 02:13 PM

If you can find a good lease nice, plenty of deer

Posted By: bwk1975

Re: Williamson Coutny - 03/25/11 03:59 PM

you meat hunting, or horn hunting?

Posted By: rsquared

Re: Williamson Coutny - 03/25/11 05:45 PM

it is really good with a car... they hit them there all the time. lots of deer, but smaller than other parts of state.

Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Williamson Coutny - 03/26/11 12:18 AM

I'm around that area weekly, I have seen quite a few good bucks in the area especialy as note above (hit by cars) but not really known as trophy buck area.

Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: Williamson Coutny - 03/26/11 03:09 AM

No big bucks unless hf.
Sporadic on numbers.
Lots of small ranches that could be shot out.
Just east is good.
West about 10 miles is good.
North good.
South is good.

Posted By: Texas_Bucks

Re: Williamson Coutny - 03/27/11 03:44 PM

Hey bud, sure hope the huntin is good recon we'll find out soon!

Posted By: Buckhog

Re: Williamson Coutny - 03/29/11 11:14 PM

Yes sir I hope so looks like some of the post are some what good news for now.

Posted By: JCB

Re: Williamson Coutny - 03/29/11 11:35 PM

I went and looked at a place in that area several years back. The landowner and his son were really trying hard to sell the place to us but something just didnt seem right when they talked about the quality of deer on the place. I started asking more detailed questions and thats when I found out that the "big buck" that was hit with a truck on the property was really a 6 point with a 12" spread. I figured if that was considered a "big buck" for the area then I was in the wrong place.

Posted By: bwk1975

Re: Williamson Coutny - 03/30/11 12:11 AM

Yeah I grew up just west of georgetown off of hwy 29 next to Cimarron Hills. We had a lot of deer in our area, some nice bucks but no great bucks. Thats also an area that doesn't get any hunting pressure. Good luck to you, hope it works out if you choose to hunt there.

Posted By: tx270

Re: Williamson Coutny - 03/30/11 01:21 AM

Lots of deer off of HWY 195 all the way from Killeen to Georgetown. I grew up ranching in the area your looking and still only live about 12 miles from there.

Deer quality has gotten better over the last ten years or so, more people managing. But its still hill country deer.

The genetics are there, just have to let them get some age. They kill 150-160 class deer on Ft. Hood every year. A 130 won't even raise many eyebrows on Ft. hood anymore.

I've personally seen several 130 class and a couple in the 150's killed from the Florence area, but don't expect that as the average.

But horn wise its every bit as good as Llano, Burnet, Blanco and similar counties.

Bill

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum