Texas Hunting Forum

Deer & Hogs not eating the peas

Posted By: Rob Lay

Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/22/11 12:36 AM

thought I would mix 50% protein into my feeders now with peas so the feeder can handle them like corn. the deer, hogs, turkey, and cows won't touch the peas, but making all the corn disappear. anyone have this problem with peas or is it all the wheat fields around me? smile

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/22/11 01:10 AM

If they have never seen them before they are not sure what they are just yet. Give it some time.

Posted By: MaggieMTx

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/22/11 02:21 AM

we tried peas a few times each year & they just wont eat them. a few sprout under the feeder and THEN the deer & pigs eat it.

Posted By: jjandcompany

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/22/11 02:24 AM

Off the wheat at 6 inches or so here and feeders(Grayson) an in bottoms again, just shed antlers an BE peas are harder than rocks, If its spillage from demand feeder pour water on ground an fork it some, re hydrates an looks good then, Best planted if it rains,

Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/22/11 06:05 PM

I've been using the split peas....the whole ones (seed peas were to expensive) They were eating 'em, but they get hard too if they sit on the ground for a while....

Posted By: Justin T

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/22/11 08:07 PM

We have had good luck with green peas, but they don't seem to like black eyed peas near as much.

Posted By: Archer Anthony

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/23/11 03:17 PM

yes we have had this problem also not only with peas

Posted By: FISHUNTER

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/24/11 04:54 PM

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question....but why are you feeding them peas? Is it cheaper than corn?

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/24/11 05:41 PM

Around 20% protein, and easy to put in spin feeders.

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/24/11 06:14 PM

I had some split and culls peas checked once for protein and they ran just over 24% protein. Were cheaper than regular protein but more than corn back then.

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/24/11 06:23 PM

Last sack of green peas I bought were 10.50 a bag I believe. Protein about 12. So right in the middle of protein and corn, like you said. Fat content is very low on the peas though, and not as complete without the minerals.

I've had a SERIOUS coon problem this year, like no other. They are tearing up the protein. Gonna go to peas in the spin feeder, and cottonseed free choice right now.

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/24/11 06:26 PM

correct on the low fat and minerals but deer do very well on them.
Blackbirds and cowbirds are really bad right now and will kick lots of protein on the ground also. Running cameras to see what the problem is for sure? Coon problems are usually in June when they start to take the young ones along to the feeders. If you have any grain or corn not ground up all the way into the protein pellets birds and coons will give you fits.

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/24/11 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Blackbirds and cowbirds are really bad right now and will kick lots of protein on the ground also. Running cameras to see what the problem is for sure? Coon problems are usually in June when they start to take the young ones along to the feeders. If you have any grain or corn not ground up all the way into the protein pellets birds and coons will give you fits.

Ran a camera. Probably 60-70% coon pictures. Rest are deer. I'm sure a deer eats significantly more than a coon, but the coons are killing me. I used to be under the impression I was feeding the coons about 10% of the feed. Now I'm thinking that is closer to 50%. Had 8 coons at ones. Scooping it out on the ground, the party was on. One even took a short nap between meals.

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/24/11 09:01 PM

We tried peas years ago and had the same result. Nothing would eat them, so we quite trying. Just went to straight protein pellets.

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/24/11 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Justin T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Ran a camera. Probably 60-70% coon pictures. Rest are deer. I'm sure a deer eats significantly more than a coon, but the coons are killing me. I used to be under the impression I was feeding the coons about 10% of the feed. Now I'm thinking that is closer to 50%. Had 8 coons at ones. Scooping it out on the ground, the party was on. One even took a short nap between meals.

Coon will eat his body weight a month in feed. They will hurt you more than you think in that they will keep deer away from the feeders at night. Doing that they will keep bucks away mostly since bucks eat from around 10 or 11 pm. at night till around 5 am. in the morning.

Posted By: Alpha&Omega

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/26/11 12:11 PM

Dang coons.

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/26/11 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
thought I would mix 50% protein into my feeders now with peas so the feeder can handle them like corn. the deer, hogs, turkey, and cows won't touch the peas, but making all the corn disappear. anyone have this problem with peas or is it all the wheat fields around me? smile

I wouldn't waste the extra money, JMO.

Posted By: FlTxHunter

Re: Deer & Hogs not eating the peas - 03/27/11 12:23 AM

I watched a coon eat for almost 30 minutes last night. If it weren't for the hogs that were in the area, which never bothered to show, I would've popped that sucker.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum