Texas Hunting Forum

Deer will eat alfalfa!

Posted By: Katy Tigers

Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/17/11 09:30 PM

I know there has been alot of discussion regarding deer eating alfalfa. In fact I got the idea from reading the discussion board on this site.

Last month we put the 1000 lb. round bales out and as you can see about two thirds are now gone. We are in Val Verde County, South of Sonora off of 189. We have only had a half of an inch of rain since December. So, needless to say everything is dry and they are hungry.

We put them in a 1800 pasture, no cattle. We didn't have time to set up cameras, but we figure it was primarily deer. I expected alot more waste, but was pleasanly surprised!

Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/17/11 09:48 PM

awesome, I feed square bails

Posted By: MaggieMTx

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/17/11 09:51 PM

might be javis also

Posted By: Kimber1911

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/17/11 10:55 PM

I agree I feed 5 bails that are the 3,000 pounds square bails a month and they are gone withing a month we do have exotics but the whitetail are the first to it every time...

Posted By: don k

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/17/11 11:17 PM

Last year in Bandera there was a feed store on 173 just before you get to Hwy. 16 in town. They had some of the big alfalfa bales outside and had to end up putting a fence around them to keep out the deer.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/18/11 12:33 AM

They will hammer it in a year like this. Better watch out with they way they are eating those bales into a mushroom shape....might fall onto a smaller deer and kill it. Happens on exotics from time to time on smaller species so it might happen on whitetails also.

Posted By: 30378

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/18/11 12:48 AM

We put out alfalfa and the neighbors cows plowed down the fence to get to it. Kimble county game warden told us it was our responsibility to fence the cows out and not for the owner of the cows to fence them in. Their cows knocked down our fence and we had to repair it all for alfalfa hay.

Posted By: brazman

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/18/11 05:31 AM

Shoot those tresspassers!

Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/18/11 06:03 AM

We keep it out year round, works well for us.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/18/11 06:42 AM

I have seen some great looking mule deer in the alfalfa fields around Roswell. They eat real!

Posted By: Tactical_Smurf

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/19/11 09:52 PM

WE used to feed alfalfa and smashed apples, draws them out every time.

Posted By: bowmadness26

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/20/11 02:24 AM

Lookin good. Ima try it

Posted By: rsquared

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/20/11 06:39 PM

that sure doesnt look like the same kind of alfalfa i have been feeding. might just be the picture, but it looks like coastal hay to me...

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/21/11 01:40 PM

Deer love alfalfa,at least in Erath county.

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/21/11 10:13 PM

I have been feeding alfalfa for 3 years. The deer are going through a ton a month right now. I found some oat hay round bales with lots of kernals and the turkey appreciate it.

Posted By: Damaged85

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/29/11 04:56 AM

Originally Posted By: don k
Last year in Bandera there was a feed store on 173 just before you get to Hwy. 16 in town. They had some of the big alfalfa bales outside and had to end up putting a fence around them to keep out the deer.

my grandpa takes semi truck loads of the big round bale to bandera at this high fence deer hunin outfit out there, not a blade of grass in site there, no vegitation at all! they seem to like it

Posted By: shark 25-06

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/29/11 09:18 AM

sprinkle some buck crack around it, then throw in some peanut butter and top it off with indian corn. works every time

Posted By: Huntsmanda

Re: Deer will eat alfalfa! - 03/29/11 08:36 PM

How much is it? I think we're paying $12 for 50# bags of protein. I'd probably have to get square bails. I have no way to haul a round bail.

Not the crack thing again...

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum