Texas Hunting Forum

Robbed by Cattle

Posted By: Boars and More Outfitters

Robbed by Cattle - 03/07/11 06:19 PM

Well 3 weeks ago me and my buddy filled 2 protein feeders full, no cattle on the place so we didn't worry about fence. Sometime around last Sunday, about 35 head decided to cross the river onto our property and found 1 protein feeder. The damn things must have made it there new home because Friday evening we went and found the cows, then proceeded to check the feeder. It was BONE DRY, probably 700 lbs in 1 week, I cant imagine how long they stayed there and ate! We rushed to the other one and found 2 cows eating on it, but they had just started and it was still basically full, thank god. So we built a fence around that one Saturday and will build one for the other one next time we are down and fill it back up. I just cant believe the bad luck! So in the end, we got robbed by the neighbors cows! Anyone ever had anything like that happen to them?Well 3 weeks ago me and my buddy filled 2 protein feeders full, no cattle on the place so we didn't worry about fence. Sometime around last Sunday, about 35 head decided to cross the river onto our property and found 1 protein feeder. The damn things must have made it there new home because Friday evening we went and found the cows, then proceeded to check the feeder. It was BONE DRY, probably 700 lbs in 1 week, I cant imagine how long they stayed there and ate! We rushed to the other one and found 2 cows eating on it, but they had just started and it was still basically full, thank god. So we built a fence around that one Saturday and will build one for the other one next time we are down and fill it back up. I just cant believe the bad luck! So in the end, we got robbed by the neighbors cows! Anyone ever had anything like that happen to them?

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Robbed by Cattle - 03/07/11 06:28 PM

I read it twice I think. juggle But it has happened to me before also.

Posted By: TXW

Re: Robbed by Cattle - 03/07/11 06:34 PM

Just think of the cost savings in taking those protein fed cows to the butcher as compared to paying store prices! grin

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Robbed by Cattle - 03/07/11 06:36 PM

yep, except with corn.... and i had a fence...they went thfrough it

Re: Robbed by Cattle - 03/07/11 06:53 PM

TXW, we sure were considering that! Haha

Posted By: Ox190

Re: Robbed by Cattle - 03/07/11 07:04 PM

I think one of those cows would be in my freezer to reimburse my feed costs.

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Robbed by Cattle - 03/07/11 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Ox190

You would Gamble a felony and jail time over broken fences and some protein?

check the laws:
http://www.texascattleraisers.org/

Re: Robbed by Cattle - 03/07/11 08:15 PM

Yea its just a problem we have being up against a crossable river, it was our own fault for not having the fence up, nothing we could do about the cows except push em back across the river and fix the fence they busted. Like the above comment, as mad as it did make us, we couldn't do something like that with someone else's money. Wouldn't want someone doing that to us.

Posted By: TXW

Re: Robbed by Cattle - 03/07/11 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: jeh7mmmag
Originally Posted By: Ox190

You would Gamble a felony and jail time over broken fences and some protein?

check the laws:
http://www.texascattleraisers.org/

What about a tagged deer? How does that work? Is it considered livestock?

Posted By: Satch

Re: Robbed by Cattle - 03/07/11 09:13 PM

I hope the pens work. if the rancher who owns the cows is not feeding them right now they can sure mess up a feed pen getting to your feeder. I have also seen one jump a 4 strand barbed wire fence to get to mine

Posted By: KG68

Re: Robbed by Cattle - 03/07/11 09:37 PM

River crossing cattle been a problem forever and with all the new tanks and ponds being built every year to detain runnoff it will only get worse so don't plan for it to get better especially during dry times.

Posted By: Scoop

Re: Robbed by Cattle - 03/08/11 02:47 PM

Never had that happen. Never had that happen.

clap

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum