Texas Hunting Forum

Apple scented deer corn - Where?

Posted By: catchin'

Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 02:25 AM

I am looking for a place in NW Harris county area that sells apple scented corn.

Who makes it?

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 02:27 AM

See if HEB is in your area. They carry Mumme's apple scented corn most of the time.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 02:57 AM

the 2 HEB's in my area aren't carrying it right now.

Posted By: wanderer

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 03:33 AM

I have one small question about this. I have heard folks talk about Apple Scented corn for years, but how many of you folks hunt in an area in Texas that grows that many apples?

Posted By: Archer Anthony

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 04:20 AM

good question

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: wanderer
I have one small question about this. I have heard folks talk about Apple Scented corn for years, but how many of you folks hunt in an area in Texas that grows that many apples?

None around here but I think it's the fruit smell. It's like peanut butter, there aren't any peanuts in West TX. Deer just like it.

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 06:16 AM

Ive used it and have seen no noticable difference

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 01:39 PM

Quote:
Ive used it and have seen no noticable difference

I have heard that exact comment from everyone I have talked to that has used the stuff.

How many of you have ever taken apples and just walked around your feeders and cut them up and throwed them on the ground?

Before hogs got so numerous, I tried it along with some other folks I was on a lease with, and those pieces of apple were still laying there at the end of 3 days, yet we had deer coming in everyday.

I have seen the same thing happen with Alfalfa hay.

But, yes peanuts or even peanut hay is different and deer really seem to love the stuff from my experience.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 01:42 PM

Producer's Coop in Bryan.... it's a quick drive.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 02:54 PM

i won't use corn that isn't apple scented.

we've been feeding mumme's apple scented deer corn for over 15 years, the deer smell it and it definatly makes a difference over unscented corn.

our lease hunters were all farmers from north carolina. they used to bring us all types of produce, apples included.

one day, me and one of the hunters shot up over two dozen apples at the range. when we got back to camp that night, there were deer in the field eating the apple pieces.

and for the record, there are no apples in south texas

Posted By: Texpppr

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 03:08 PM

What do you do with peanut butter.. Make the deer some sandwiches? lol

It's like peanut butter, there aren't any peanuts in West TX. Deer just like it.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Texpppr
What do you do with peanut butter.. Make the deer some sandwiches? lol

It's like peanut butter, there aren't any peanuts in West TX. Deer just like it.

deer in canyon lake love dairy queen's texas toast. put a little spread on there and i'm sure they won't mind

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 03:14 PM

we've been feeding mumme's apple scented deer corn for over 15 years, the deer smell it and it definatly makes a difference over unscented corn.

You don't reckon that right there could be the difference????

If you have been feeding it for a long time, that is a heck of a lot different than offering it for the first time.

I can guarantee that if you stopped feeding the apple flavored corn, it might take a few days, but the deer would go back to eating the regular corn.

The deer on your place are USED to the stuff.

On a place where It Has Not Been Used, the deer aren't gonna just flock to it immediately, b ecause they don't know what apples are or smell like.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 04:04 PM

I still have deer coming to my feeder with unscented corn. We also have axis deer around there and I am real near 3 game trails. I have seen axis walking past the our area and I want something to help attract more of them also.I put out alfalfa hay and the love it.

I just want to see if the apple corn will also help keep the WT bucks I got until October for bow season.

Posted By: dkershen

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 04:15 PM

Wouldn't spend extra $$ for apple scented corn... unless it was apple flavored INDIAN CORN. Deer like it better and say at the feeder longer. wink

(sorry.. couldn't let a deer corn thread pass un-abused)

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 08:48 PM

It might, and then again, just having corn out might help, regardless the flavor.

With gas prices and corn prices continueing to rise, anyone able to keep their feeders filled and running will be or may be in better shape than those that can't.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 09:49 PM

You don't reckon that right there could be the difference????

i'm not advocating its use because it tastes better to a deer than non-applescented corn....its apple scented, not apple flavored.

its easier for them to find outta my tailgate feeder, the scent carries along way, especailly with a little breeze. i can feed a road that has never been fed before with apple corn and if there is any deer in the area they will come out and eat.

if they associate apple scent and easy meals together, the huntings easier.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 10:04 PM

But that is what IO am getting at, you all have been feeding the stuff for 15 years, the deer are used to it.

For asome one just starting out, it probably won't have the same effect, and unless your deer are different, if you stopped feeding the apple scented/apple flavored, because the scent they put on the corn will affect the flavor, the deer would switch back to the non-scented stuff in a short time.

We feed regular corn out of a tail gate feeder, and deer associate the sound of the pick up and feeder with a free meal.

In an area where the deer are habituated to the apple scented corn, yes, it will pull in deer faster than non scented corn will, but in an area where no scented corn has been used, it can or will have the opposite effect.

It is not a cure all/fix all.

If a person wants to use the stuff, that is their business, but to expect it to pull in deer when the animals are not familiar with it is not practical.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/05/11 10:11 PM

i stress to you that apple scented corn has no apple flavor whatsoever. at least mummes corn dosent.

like most things, if it has a desireable smell, it will attract animals simply by curiosity than non-scented corn.

we have been feeding it for over 15 years, most years, we just feed corn from oct-feb.....there is 8 months of no apple corn yet the first time i hit that feeder here come some deer.

if your putting it in a broadcast feeder, i agree, its a moot point because animals will be used to it over a period, but if your tailgate feeding i believe its hands down better than non-scented corn, unless you run a feed route every other day

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 01:36 AM

I'm just looking for apple scented corn. I am right by 3 game trails and I just want to see if I can attract more of the passerbys.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 01:45 AM

Stress all you want, but if the corn that has been setting in a bag for no telling how long does not taste like apples I will kiss your arse in public.

How much of that corn have you ate to know how it tastes????

Your used to feeding the app,le flavored stuff, how do you know trhat if you fed regular corn after the gap you described the deer would not come back just as quick and feed on that , you don't.

Your making an assumption. I would bet that after a 3 or 4 month gap, those deer would be on regular corn just as fast.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 01:49 AM

I bought 10 bags of it today, but only because it was mislabeled. 4.48/50lb bag. It rang up at 8.98, but when I showed the manager it was marked out front at 4.48, she gave it to me for that.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 01:49 AM

Stress all you want, but if the corn that has been setting in a bag for no telling how long does not taste like apples I will kiss your arse in public.

How much of that corn have you ate to know how it tastes????

Your used to feeding the app,le flavored stuff, how do you know trhat if you fed regular corn after the gap you described the deer would not come back just as quick and feed on that , you don't.

Your making an assumption. I would bet that after a 3 or 4 month gap, those deer would be on regular corn just as fast.

It does not taste like apples. It is a highly concentrated scent that is added during bagging. That is it. After time it will not smell like apples if you store the bagged corn long enough. Can we draw a crowd? popcorn

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 01:54 AM

Wow ask a simple question and I becomes a knock down, drag out keyboard fight. grin

At lease it's interesting.

But I still want to know where in NW harris county can I buy apple "scented" corn. confused2

Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: catchin'

I'm just looking for apple scented corn. I am right by 3 game trails and I just want to see if I can attract more of the passerbys.

do you have cattle on your place and/or do you have feed pens?

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 01:59 AM

It will still smell like apples and it will taste like apples, how much of it have you tried?

catchin, it is not a knock down-drag pout keyboard fight, anything, if soaked in something that smells, for a long enough period of time will begin to taste like what it is soaked in.

As someone else stated earlier, Mummes or a few other companies offer Apple scented corn, you will just have to look around your area to find a source.

Sorry if an honest discussion on a subject bothers you.

Posted By: toolman

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 02:02 AM

It's pretty simple if you think about it. Deer are purely instinct-driven animals (much like most of us), if it smells good to them, they'll eat it. They don't sit around discussing the fact that it is or is not native to the area. I'm pretty sure that we don't have any strawberry Kool-Aid trees around my area, but every time I soak corn in it for the hogs, the damm deer eat it before the hogs can even get close...

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 02:05 AM

Check HEB. That's where I got mine today - I'm guessing they bought the excess from the supplier.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 02:06 AM

It will still smell like apples and it will taste like apples, how much of it have you tried?

catchin, it is not a knock down-drag pout keyboard fight, anything, if soaked in something that smells, for a long enough period of time will begin to taste like what it is soaked in.

As someone else stated earlier, Mummes or a few other companies offer Apple scented corn, you will just have to look around your area to find a source.

Don't have to try it as I have watched it being bagged for 7 years.If you want I will give you the number to Mummes and you can watch them apply it the corn as it run through the bagger. It is very highly concentrated and it the scent costs about $2000 per 55 gallon drum. The corn is not soaked in flavor as you assume. If corn were soaked in anything it would swell and sour. So get you facts straight.

Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 02:10 AM

IMO, if you feed the roads and/or other areas you are good to go, but if you have cattle and have to build pens, do not run it in your feeders. again just my opinion, but in regards to original post, not sure where to get it these days

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 02:20 AM

Facts are straight, get yours straight, bagged corn sprayed with concentrated apple scent, will taste like apples, don't believe me try it, if you haven't you don't know what you are talking about.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 02:22 AM

It is not sprayed on. I worked at Mummes so I know how it is done.

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Bang Argument over.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 03:14 AM

rofl You have got to be kidding. Really? rofl

It's just interesting.

I have hear about the koolaid thing. Deer like it too?

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 03:29 AM

I love it when things like this happen. The other poster now has 2 choices:

1. Admit being wrong and accept defeat.
2. Claim you're lying or that things must have changed since he himself used to see it sprayed on.

This should be interesting.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 03:40 AM

to settle the argument, i've chewed on quite a bit of apple corn, and it in no way , shape or form tastes like apples.

are you telling me if you lick a stripper that is covered in apricot body spray then she will taste like apricots? don't think so.

Over 15 years of owning a ranch, we do occasionally do studies on our wild life, and i can assure you that if you feed an area not regularly fed, the deer will come to apple corn before they come to unscented corn.

think about it......which is going to get your attention.......the smell of a juicy steak on the grill or a cold piece of meat sitting on your counter?

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 03:56 AM

Sprayed on, rolled on, soaked in, whatever the corn will still have the apple smell and taste, and I think I have had just about as much experience as either of you.

As for the stripper, it depends on where you lick her!

And I have fed out enough corn over the years to know that not ALL DEER will respond to the apple flavored corn faster than they will to regular corn.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 04:04 AM

Off topic. What actually do they do to the corn that they call apple scented?

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 04:34 AM

has to be a process that doesn't involve soaking or spraying... there are scented proteins & getting that mess wet is out of the question.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 04:45 AM

Has to be done in a way that the scent stays on the kernels, I really doubt they put it in a grain bin and burn corn scented incence for several days. barf

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 04:47 AM

I was curious, I know we have bought some of it. One time it will smell like apples then next time seems there is no smell at all.

Posted By: jackwabbit2

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 04:49 AM

apple scented indian corn?

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 05:01 AM

Actually I have tasted Apple Corn, and could not detect any apple taste. The one thing I did notice is that the corn was softer than our regular corn usually is.

Posted By: toolman

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 08:09 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

are you telling me if you lick a stripper that is covered in apricot body spray then she will taste like apricots?

think about it......which is going to get your attention.......the smell of a juicy steak on the grill or a cold piece of meat sitting on your counter?

In all honesty, I can't decide whether to fire up the grill or go to the strip club... Mmmm, sun-kissed stripper marinated in apricot vodka sounds like da bomb! clap

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 02:51 PM

Has to be done in a way that the scent stays on the kernels, I really doubt they put it in a grain bin and burn corn scented incence for several days. barf

This is spoken from a man "who has had just as much experience as either of you"? juggle The concentrated scent (not flavoring or apple juice) is metered on the corn as it is running through the conveyer leg before it goes into the bagger. The scent only touches in very small metered droplets to a few kernels per bag. From this small amount it dries quickly on contact. Why? Because at over $40+ dollars per gallon they are not going to spray it on and being highly concentrated it only takes a little to scent the corn inside a closed corn sack. If you leave the corn in a store room the scent will dissapate in time. Just as if you set the scented corn outside in the sun and open air with the sack open, the scent will dissapate.
Deer eat by sight, by scent and taste. Apple scented corn is still corn and tastes like corn. If apple flavoring was soaked/sprayed on corn then you would have swollen corn or apple scented hominy. Either way would not be cost effective or practical. I have had people do tests to prove to their hunting buddies that regular corn works just as well as scented corn on leases that use only scented corn. Scented corn was eatin first. Had people do vice versa and have the unscented corn eatin first. Like TxTrophy posted you can used the scented to corn to move deer around so that you can hunt with the wind in your favor.
back

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
has to be a process that doesn't involve soaking or spraying... there are scented proteins & getting that mess wet is out of the question.

They use about 6 lbs of apple flavoring meal(or other scent attractant) in a ton of pellets. It is "cooked" into the pellet ration with the rest of the ingredients in the mix. The fresher the pellet the stronger the scent the longer the pellets sits in storage the less the pellets smells or tastes like the scent. It will eventually taste and smell like the ingredients would in an unmanfactured state.

Posted By: Nicolam

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 03:36 PM

Hi,
I am newbie here. My question is "What makes Apple scented deer corn so special?"
Thanks

ranches for sale

Posted By: BMD

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Nicolam
Hi,
I am newbie here. My question is "What makes Apple scented deer corn so special?"
Thanks

Taste good bounce I like to nibble on it myself, I just think mummies is the absolute cleanest deer corn bagged.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 04:01 PM

Bottom line however, is that unless you are feeding apple scented corn and only scented corn on a regular basis and have the deer used to it, just waltzing out there in the pasture and laying a line of the stuff on the ground, it will not bring the deer in any faster than regular corn.

It is the same thing when getting deer used to eating protein pellets, most folks I know of starty out with a corn/protein pellet mix in the protein feeders until the deer get used to the pellets.

If the apple scented corn made such a difference, why is there not more of the stuff sold.

Also, things not being taken into consideration is the fact that when you are driving down a pasture road running a road feeder, the deer in that pasture hear the noise and once the vehicle/ regular pick-up or four wheeler gets out of hearing, the deer will come out for the corn.

Since I am taking care of the spin and protein feeders on 18K acres and doing part of the road feeding also, tell me again how little I know about such things.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 04:14 PM

I agree don't figure it really matters but I do think mummies is clean!

Posted By: Longhorn95

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: BMD

Cleanest corn in south Texas. To me, the fact it's apple scented is just a bonus.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 04:42 PM

It probably is. I have never had occasion to use it however. I do know that some of the stuff I have been putting out lately from Record Rack is full of pieces of cobs and other debris.

When I fill all of our spin feeders and protein feeders, I handle 82 to 84 sacks of corn and 80+ sacks of protein filling everything.

It makes for a couple of long days, because all of our protein feeders and and about a third of our spin feeders are filled from a ladder or back of a pick up.

I am trying to get all of our spin feeders converted to crank ups.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 04:44 PM

Since I am taking care of the spin and protein feeders on 18K acres and doing part of the road feeding also, tell me again how little I know about such things.

well you don't know enough to know that apple scented corn dosen't taste like apples.....

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Longhorn95
Originally Posted By: BMD

Cleanest corn in south Texas. To me, the fact it's apple scented is just a bonus.

i've never ONCE had anything but the absoulte cleanest corn from mummes. only time we've ever had a jam is when someone wasn't paying attention and left the top rip off part of the back in the feeder

one of the simple pleasures in life is pulling in to the warehouse at 8 am on a slightly cool morning and them loading you up with 40 sacks of fresh corn....you can smell that apple scent across the parking lot.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 04:54 PM

i've never ONCE had anything but the absoulte cleanest corn from mummes. only time we've ever had a jam is when someone wasn't paying attention and left the top rip off part of the back in the feeder

up

I laugh at all the Dick's and Academy "deal" threads every season. My experience is that 40 lb bag is comprised of dirt, stems and cobs with a bit of corn sprinkled in. That's fine if you're going to dump out some corn for some hogs, but I'm not going to try to spin any of that crap. (And to keep this on topic, none of it is apple scented.)

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 04:56 PM

up

I laugh at all the Dick's and Academy "deal" threads every season. My experience is that 40 lb bag is comprised of dirt, stems and cobs with a bit of corn sprinkled in.

if you buy more than a bag or two from academy or dicks, they your branded forever as a city slicker.

Heb however, is a different story. they have great deals on corn. i was getting it for $6/bag here in november

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 05:00 PM

HEB prices it store by store and great deals can be found.

Last time I saw some at the HEB I shop at (Blanco & 1604) they wanted $8 per bag, Mummes was either still at 6.45 or had just gone to 7.25, and the Lyttle HEB was at 6 and change.

(I do understand charging a premium for a guy/gal from Hollywood Park or Hill Country Village who's buying a couple bags at a time for hand feeding the deer. Even with the higher price, the product is still moving because of the different consumer.)

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 05:08 PM

For the record, I've never had any issues whatsoever with corn I've bought from Academy having anything besides corn in it. Not full of cob or husk at all.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 05:13 PM

Our experiences differ greatly with yours much better than mine.

Maybe I got what was swept off the floor and placed in bags for disposal and instead somebody stitched up the bags and threw them on the pallet.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 05:17 PM

\Mummes was either still at 6.45 or had just gone to 7.25, and the Lyttle HEB was at 6 and change.

.)

I shop at the blanco HEB and your right, its way high.

i get alot of my corn from the lytle HEB, thats where the good deals are.

just down the road at amigo's its $9 a bag

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 10:35 PM

You don't know that for sure noww do you? NO. Anything that is that close to another scent/smell, will taste like that scent/smell.

The problem is, how well is the sense of taste in deer compared to their sense of smell.

It might be completely the sense of smell that the deer are reacting to, so don't tell me what I don't know little boy.

Posted By: michael rice

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 10:46 PM

You don't know that for sure noww do you? NO. Anything that is that close to another scent/smell, will taste like that scent/smell.

The problem is, how well is the sense of taste in deer compared to their sense of smell.

It might be completely the sense of smell that the deer are reacting to, so don't tell me what I don't know little boy.

little boy them fighting words

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 10:47 PM

popcorn

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 10:50 PM

.....don't tell me what I don't know little boy.

rofl

duel

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/06/11 11:07 PM

I thought you said it was the sound of the road feeder that they were reacting to and now it is the sense of smell? juggle I always thought is was the taste of corn that they were reacting to myself.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/07/11 01:41 AM

ok.....so your telling me if you take a handful of vanilla scented lotion or apple scented bodywash and gulp it down its gonna taste like vanilla or apples? hell no, its gonna taste like chemicals.

i've TASTED apple scented corn, it dosen't taste any different than regular corn, it just has a scent.

I'm glad you have a job filling alot of feeders, but your facts are way off.

as for the little boy comment, i'ma let that one slide since i've been to the wall a few times, but its good to know we have a keyboard commando in our midst

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/07/11 02:22 AM

I thought you said it was the sound of the road feeder that they were reacting to and now it is the sense of smell? juggle I always thought is was the taste of corn that they were reacting to myself.

no, no, no...it's the sound of the corn bag shaking and smell of diesel. They also prefer the sound of a dmax over a powerstroke, fyi. popcorn

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/07/11 02:45 AM

Yes, because the sense of taste is directly tied to the sense of smell.

Maybe you never did the experiment, but I have.

If you blind fold yourself and close off your nose, you can not tell the difference between an apple and a onion.

As for the little boy comment, that was out of line and I apologise for it, I have lurked around here long enough to know that you do have a lot of experience, but that does not mean that some of the rest of us don't.

I took this way off topic, if a person believes in apple scented corn and it works for them, that is great.

I just believe that switching to apple scented corn, if the deer are used to regular corn ain't gonna accomplish anything.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/07/11 02:51 AM

I have 10 bags of Mummes Apple scented corn 20 feet from me right now. Will report back on the taste in less than a minute.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/07/11 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
I have 10 bags of Mummes Apple scented corn 20 feet from me right now. Will report back on the taste in less than a minute.

food food food

I applaud your willingness to provide an unbiased opinion in this matter.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/07/11 03:05 AM

The product:

Me, my mexi-stache, and corn in the pie-hole.

No difference than any other deer corn I've stupidly eaten.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/07/11 03:05 AM

I apologize in advance for the graphic nature of my stache.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/07/11 03:10 AM

rofl

You posted that as if there was some $$ riding on it.

cheers

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/07/11 03:11 AM

I have admittedly had greater than zero alcoholic drinks this evening.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/07/11 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
I apologize in advance for the graphic nature of my stache.

Is that what they call that wtf

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/07/11 03:21 AM

no, no, no...it's the sound of the corn bag shaking and smell of diesel. They also prefer the sound of a dmax over a powerstroke, fyi. popcorn

I take it that the dmax is still on the road and not in the barditch when you tried this experiment?
Where you been? Buying up all of East Texas you can get?

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/07/11 02:37 PM

I take it that the dmax is still on the road and not in the barditch when you tried this experiment?

Been around, just not saying much. The land situation has been put on hold but talks will pick back up shortly. We've also been looking at houses all over the place so that has taken away from forum time.

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/07/11 06:11 PM

When we hunted Ft McKavett we always used apple scented corn when we could get it,they loved it,definitely showed a prefferance for it in our un-scientific taste tests.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/07/11 07:04 PM

We use both regular and apple scented corn on our lease. I have not been able to find it in my neck of the woods so I relied on my BIL to get it for me. Like I mentioned earlier I am by game trails and I used the scented for a feeder fill-up in December. Now whether it was just by chance or the apple scented corn I definitely saw more animals. More WT and more Axis which is what my son and I will be hunting during Spring Break. I will also be taking a bail of alfalfa hay (which I am trying to locate now also.)

Posted By: michael rice

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/07/11 09:53 PM

apple sented corn is all i use it adds peace to mky mind now if its all in my head then so be it 8.00 a 50 pound bag h e b cant hurt any thing

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/08/11 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: michael rice
apple sented corn is all i use it adds peace to mky mind now if its all in my head then so be it 8.00 a 50 pound bag h e b cant hurt any thing

I totally agree.

Re: Apple scented deer corn - Where? - 03/08/11 04:48 AM

hopefully it will go through...real weird situation but only 18.2 acres grin

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum