Texas Hunting Forum

LBJ National Grasslands

Posted By: drdavidovich

LBJ National Grasslands - 08/03/07 02:58 AM

Anyone have any information to share on hunting this place in the Fall? I see its only bow, shotgun, muzzleloader. I have never been but since I don't have alot of confidence in getting drawn for a TPWD " annual public hunt" slot somewhere, I'm figuring out a back up plan. The lady in Austin this week told me its about a 1 in 9 chance of being drawn for a slot on one of the public hunts. What is this place like?? Thanks Greg

Posted By: hunterbrian1967

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/03/07 09:43 AM

The hunting is hard at LBJ,but the deer are there,in fact there where 4 150 class deer taken last season,.get you a map from the forest office off of Hwy 287,study the map and do lots of scouting and then do more scouting,unit 31 is a good place but very well populated with hunters and horse riders,try the north side of unit 41 also...Good luck and remember any deer taken off of public land is a trophy...Brian

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/03/07 02:17 PM

Thanks for the info. You're absolutely right about any deer taken on heavily hunted public land.

Posted By: Gordo

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/03/07 07:41 PM

Turkey hunted there this year, and there are a lot of turkey's around there. I saw more deer tracks there than I have seen anywhere in a long time, so there are deer there. Now, I have not hunted deer there yet...but one thing that might make it tough is all of the private land around there that they may go to once the shooting starts. I would be curious to how you do there, please post back after the season starts.

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/03/07 09:41 PM

It sounds like their are just as many hunters as deer from what the Rangers office just told me this afternoon. Will let everyone know how it shakes out.

Posted By: Daddybigbuck

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/04/07 01:44 AM

You may look into the corp land around Grapevine Lake. I have seen many deer on the west side around 377 and the north side. I don't know how the hunting works but I hear they do alow some.

Posted By: bassinger

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/04/07 05:18 AM

I heard a rumor they transplanted some northern deer into grapevine years back? I know there are tons of deer and hogs back there and LOTS of land. I wont say were but my buddy was over there last fall at a private location??? that backs up to the public land and a monster 10pt and some does were eating early morning then they wandered back in to the public area

Posted By: aclaimsman

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/04/07 09:45 AM

Grapevine is bow only for deer and hogs.

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/05/07 03:12 AM

Yes it is bow only, I have been doing some casual looking over there, the place is so flooded out right now, I'm sure the deer have at least temporarily been pushed somewhere.

Posted By: ciscooutdoorsman

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/08/07 02:27 AM

There's not far to go b/c its all build up. went there last year for dove, saw some tracks, not much though.

Posted By: CritterGitter

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/08/07 08:29 PM

For more information on hunting Grapevine Lake:

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/grapevine/

Posted By: mossberg man

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/09/07 08:44 PM

I've been to grapevine many times, seen deer twice 2 does that i think were the same 2, not many animals around, to many ***holes on atvs tear the place up.

Posted By: cope2509

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/11/07 01:51 AM

Where do you park for Grapevine access? East or West side of 377? I got a permit to hunt but could figure out where to walk in. I did not want walk around with a shotgun not knowing I was in the right area?

Posted By: ciscooutdoorsman

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/11/07 01:53 AM

Quote:

I've been to grapevine many times, seen deer twice 2 does that i think were the same 2, not many animals around, to many ***holes on atvs tear the place up.

Did you see the deer on the right or left side of 377? I have seen a lot of tracks on the left side about 3000 yds from the bridge.

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/11/07 03:27 AM

I park at Rockledge and bike in. Gotta watch the narrow trees with the shotgun on the back.

Posted By: mossberg man

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/11/07 06:32 PM

Quote:

Where do you park for Grapevine access? East or West side of 377?

on both if your headin north on 377 after you pass the homes on the left the dirt parking you see on your left and right, is COE parking and their is parking in other places on the west side i have not been to park there.
Quote:

Did you see the deer on the right or left side of 377? I have seen a lot of tracks on the left side about 3000 yds from the bridge.

you just gotta be there at the right place right time.

Quote:

I park at Rockledge and bike in. Gotta watch the narrow trees with the shotgun on the back.

i would like to see this, the closer park is knob hill run by DORBA ( www.dorba.com )

right now grapevine is under water and the only thing to kill is skeeters.

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/11/07 06:39 PM

Well I like to stop at Lil Petes for burgers and beer before hitting the woods. That is a little out of the way over at Knob.

Posted By: cope2509

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/12/07 01:52 PM

I would like to see the look on the Park Rangers face when he meet you on the trail riding a bike with a shotgun. That would be a high dollar bike ride.

Re: LBJ National Grasslands - 08/12/07 02:21 PM

I just say it is protection from the meth heads hiding in the trees. They usually just hang out at Rockledge. Enough things go on there to entertain them all day.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum