Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting in Sonora

Posted By: BAYSPORT

Hunting in Sonora - 02/10/11 05:17 PM

I have an opportunity to get a lease north of Sonora.Is there many exotics running in that part of the state

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/10/11 05:37 PM

I've never hunted that country myself, but have heard there are some axis down that way.

Posted By: JWBIGBUCKHUNTER

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/10/11 06:04 PM

Shot this free ranging axis on a ranch near Sonora!

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/10/11 06:05 PM

I have seen many Black bucks as well.

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/10/11 06:07 PM

There is a lot of whitetail as well. The climate is so dry there unless you have a good management program with supplemental feeding the antlers are not that great.Biggest I have killed in three years was 125inches. A lot of pencil horned deer.

Posted By: 56txoval

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/10/11 06:33 PM

I hunt about 5-10 minutes north of I-10 just outside of Sonora. We have a quite a few Axis and a few Blackbucks. This past year one of our hunters saw a Sika. Over the years there have also been a few Fallow shot.

I think you are apt to see (not often) just about any of those but primarliy Axis & Blackbuck.

Regarding Whitetail: We have deer killed that score as high as 140's. Most of our trophies score in the 120-130 range. We do feed protein.

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/10/11 08:26 PM

Thanks for the information ,
Place is about 13 mile northeast of town on old Fort Mckavett Rd

Posted By: jakhunter

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/10/11 08:33 PM

buddy hunts a bit south west of sonora and they have a lot of fallow running around there. i hunted that place for 3 years right when we got it and when i got off the horns started getting good(i left for a place in the hill country)

Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/11/11 12:26 AM

I hunt just west of Sonora and we have some pretty great deer on our place. We had one killed this year that was in the high 160's and several more in the 40's. As far as exotics, I have seen Blackbuck, Red Stag, and Auodad around our lease but I have never seen any while hunting. They are there though.

Posted By: Switch

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/11/11 01:23 AM

I hunted this past season out close to Sonora Caverns and saw several young whitetail bucks, Axis,Fallow, Black buck, Audad, and what the rancher said was Muflon I will question the Muflon though and saw a bunch of huge trophy wild goats some of which had trophy lookin horns if there is such a thing. I know they can stand on their hind feet and tear a feeder all to heck.

Posted By: Ibexhunter

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/11/11 01:13 PM

@JWBIGBUCKHUNTER

Greate! This a very good trophy. Congratulations!!!!

Waidmannsheil!!!

Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/11/11 02:46 PM

I hunted a place south on the caverns of sonora rd. Saw a few fallow and an axis. Lots of deer but nothing huge.

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/11/11 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: BAYSPORT
Thanks for the information ,
Place is about 13 mile northeast of town on old Fort Mckavett Rd

You go right by my place.

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/13/11 11:06 PM

I worked in Sonora for a couple years back in 91. I worked for Cahill const. Jimmy Cahill was one of the first ranchers to get into exotics in the area. One good rain can wreak havoc on high fences when the draws run. Back in 91 he had several different kinds Axis to Ibex.

Posted By: sachsedroptine

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/14/11 02:23 AM

Is it the Nolan ranch by any chance. Are you close the Dry Devil? That is a ranch I hunted for several years.

Posted By: jspath

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/19/11 02:14 AM

My lease is right outside of eldorado and have not seen any exotics. Whitetail are promising once I can get the buck to doe right.

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/21/11 04:19 PM

Thanks for the information guys.
I signed the lease this weekend.

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 02/21/11 05:36 PM

Congratulations...Good luck!

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 03/02/11 02:10 AM

Does anybody know the name of a local feed store

Posted By: Switch

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 03/02/11 12:56 PM

You might try Rafter W I forget th addy

Posted By: murph

Re: Hunting in Sonora - 03/04/11 03:16 PM

close by Rafter W there is also Woolhouse Feed Store.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum