Texas Hunting Forum

New Record

Posted By: huntwest

New Record - 02/05/11 10:24 PM

2300 lbs of protein since last sunday afternoon! It looks like a herd of buffalo has been around 4 feeders!

Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: New Record - 02/05/11 10:27 PM

dang

Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: New Record - 02/06/11 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: huntwest
2300 lbs of protein since last sunday afternoon! It looks like a herd of buffalo has been around 4 feeders!

Glad I don't have that bill!

Re: New Record - 02/06/11 12:31 AM

The bills high but deciding to feed free choice is high anyway. Been all over the pastures and haven't seen a dead deer though.
The good thing is now that the snow has melted my wheat will take off and they will hit it hard and not eat as protein. I never thought they could go through that much but the feeder behind the house had 20 or so deer at it almost all week. At one time the wife counted 34! None of my neighbors feed protein just throw corn and now that season is over they are probably empty.

Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: New Record - 02/06/11 01:37 AM

not enough wheat fields in area?

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: New Record - 02/06/11 02:25 AM

Deer will hit feed really hard for about a month or so post rut then back off some. But with this weather and if more sets in they may prolong that till it starts to green up.

Re: New Record - 02/06/11 02:34 AM

They always hit it hard but this was a lot. I have 4 1000lb feeders on a section. I am putting out some smaller ones this week so the deer won't be fighting over them.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: New Record - 02/06/11 02:38 AM

I was on a ranch in the Hill Country in 1990 and in Dec. that year it was very dry and got really cold. We had 1200 acres HF and had 4-1000# feeders at the time and had been feeding since Feb. free choice. Deer were eating around 4000 lbs per month till Dec. and that cold snap and they went thru 4000# in less than 7 days. After that they never really quit eating till spring, just not that much like that week. In my experience with adding more feeders you will feed more feed since the younger and timid deer will now get a chance to eat more. You will see a lot of difference in your deer this year for it.

Posted By: webe

Re: New Record - 02/06/11 03:01 AM

This feed was for one section, high or low fence?

Re: New Record - 02/06/11 03:47 AM

Low Fence. Nobody around me feeds after hunting season and I am the only one that has wheat planted close by so late winter and spring I get a lot of traffic. We have a good buck to doe ratio but need to harvest more does.

Posted By: bphillips

Re: New Record - 02/06/11 04:36 AM

I feel ya we go through about 5 tons every 5-6 weeks, and we dont lease so we foot whole bill

Posted By: SLT

Re: New Record - 02/06/11 05:19 AM

WOW !! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Re: New Record - 02/06/11 01:46 PM

Yea I don't lease either. But it's worth it if I wasn't feeding the deer I would blow it doing something else.

Posted By: rtp

Re: New Record - 02/06/11 03:29 PM

I lease and I foot the bill as I think most that lease do. Im going back this week one day just to check and fill the protein feeders. I hope they are not all empty. It will be about a week and a half from the last time they were filled by the time I get there.

Posted By: bphillips

Re: New Record - 02/07/11 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: rtp
I lease and I foot the bill as I think most that lease do. Im going back this week one day just to check and fill the protein feeders. I hope they are not all empty. It will be about a week and a half from the last time they were filled by the time I get there.

yea we have been thinking of leasing out to just a couple people to help with the feed.. Well that and does, its hard to take the numbers you need with just me and friends on 2100ac.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum