Posted By: Brother in-law

Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:17 AM

Better than average

Average

Less than average

Location and Why popcorn

Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:22 AM

Way better than the last few years even though I didn't get a buck because I got out of east Texas and actually saw alot of deer.

Bosque County

Posted By: Curly

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:23 AM

Less than sucky.
Saw MAYBE 6 doe all year total.
Didn't see one buck all season.
Wood County.
I did get one of the MAYBE 6 doe I saw all season so I did get some venison. Maybe "Less than sucky" was a bit harsh. I'll just say sucky. I know folks will say I of all people should say it was a great season because I got venison but seeing only 6 doe all season ain't good for deer herd health no matter what kinda deer hunter you are or where you stand on antler restrictions.

Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:33 AM

Completely F—ing Awsome! up banana2 banana woot
We were Level 3 MLD for the first year, so we got to take many many does. And I got the best buck of my life (an 11 point with a kicker, 147 B&C gross) with my son and my wife in the blind with me at the time. My freezer is PACKED, we've been giving meat away, and we still have two months of hunting left to go.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:37 AM

banana Best ever so far to date! woot

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:37 AM

less than average

se runnels co.

got skunked a few times. saw no shooters.

very bad drought in my area.

Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: txhunter24
less than average

se runnels co.

got skunked a few times. saw no shooters.

very bad drought in my area.

Forgot to mention the drought, we were in bad shape in Bosque county too

Posted By: Jacob645

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:46 AM

3 months of suck followed by the best day of hunting ever on the last day of the season. Got the biggest buck I had on camera! Persistence paid off!

Nacogdoches County

Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:49 AM

Better than average...
Coleman/Tom Green Counties
Saw some very nice bucks for the area this year. First year since "02" that I didn't connect on one, but thats not how I rate the season. Put momma some doe in the freezer and spent some great time in camp with friends and family. I was thinking Sunday evening on the way to the stand how much I enjoy an afternoon nap in camp. Thats what hunting is to me...

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:53 AM

those afternoon naps sure are better at deer camp thats for sure. im missing deer season already.

Posted By: Letsgo

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:53 AM

As far as numbers it was great - however, I did not pull the trigger all year. It is amazing what a couple of years will do when you don't hammer everything you see.

Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:55 AM

my west tx was good shot a nice 8 point opening day of gun then didnt go back after that and my dad got a 12 point off of the same property

my east tx was slow at best, saw 5 does all season and I got to hunt it pretty often.

Posted By: TAT

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:00 AM

great season.

i got my 11 point. and got to spend some time away from the city. dos it get any better than that? i think not!

Posted By: dogo

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:11 AM

Had high hopes, didn't really pan out in deer numbers though. Shot the biggest buck I've laid eyes in 4 yrs with bow but not the biggest on camera. Still short on freezer meat.....

Posted By: gary75758

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:12 AM

Great season, got to spend all but 1 weekend at the place, hunting was just as good, seeing deer was great, sitting on back deck watch the sunset with an adult beverage....was priceless...
texas

Posted By: ETXbuckman

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:15 AM

Saw a lot more solid young bucks this year (a testament to our management practices) but simply did not pan out like I'd hoped with the big boys. I got 3 does though so at least I'm ok on venison.

Walker, Real Counties

Posted By: Parker

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:19 AM

Got to go once. Got one doe. I'm 1 for 1. Freezer is happier. If I had one more, freezer would be delighted!!! LOL

Posted By: md2tx

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:19 AM

Started terrible saw nothing in bow season nothing 2 trips in early november. Then shot a nice big doe 3rd week in november to fill the freezer. Then last weekend shot this one chasing does around in an oat field. Saw a bunch of deer new years weekend.
So it ended better than average.

Bosque County

Posted By: bradshaw02

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:27 AM

Average. Would have been great but I missed two good bucks this year but ended up getting some meet for the freezer. I saw deer during bow season but didn't get a shot and saw deer on probably 75% of my hunts all season. All hunts in San Jacinto County.

Posted By: huntincoach

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:32 AM

Below average in shackelford county. Saw some shooters on
Cameras. Saw some good young ones live. No bullets flew.
But took 2 doe with the bow.

Posted By: bigz71

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:34 AM

A bust

Posted By: toolman

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:39 AM

Only one deer so far (152" 11 pt-my biggest ever) with two week doe\spike season left to go. Fisher Co.

Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:49 AM

I only really care about horns. In that department, I'd rate it as awful. Worst antlers I've ever seen at my place. Even back when we'd only see a few deer per season, I'd see at least one big buck. I'll go pop some does in the next two weeks, but that doesn't take alot of effort at my place (it used too, but we've worked hard to improve the habitat over the last decade).

Mother Nature won, though it seems she fired all her guns. Very bright moon, warm weather, no sustained cold weather, tons and tons of acorns, no rain, lots of wind, etc.

I'm ready for November.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:53 AM

I saw three times as many deer as last year. None of the nice ones on camera ever came by in the day though. Oh well. I was out there.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 04:41 AM

we had a good year. much better than the last two.

some good, nice ten points seen, to be brood stock for next season.

had some fun shooting hogs, which were non-existant the past two years as well.

took a few does, and the first decent buck i've shot since I was 15

we're not done yet, hope to get out there one last time and shoot a cull or something

Posted By: Birdog62

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 04:42 AM

As far as deer kills it sucked, but I did kill a big Aoudad.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 04:46 AM

I dunno...would have to actually hunt some to know how it was. Colorado was less than average though from previous outings.

Posted By: Cpack

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 04:56 AM

It was tough in Erath. I've never seen an acorn crop like we had. My brother and I split a ton of corn and we only used 10 bags running 4 feeders. Deer weren't eating it so we turned all the feeders down to through for 2 seconds. We didn't see alot of deer but we got some pics of some good ones for next year. I can't wait!!

Posted By: deedeetaylor

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 05:09 AM

This was my first season on a lease and all I shot was a rattler with my pistol...I've got a rifle, a blind, a feeder, a camera, hog panels, and a camper for sale. And I start golf lessons next week.

Posted By: SSJR

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 05:19 AM

Bow season was average, saw some deer missed a doe. Rifle season was the worst in 10 years on our lease. Had high hopes goin in with more big deer on camera than ever before. End of Oct. came, the acorns fell and the deer flat stopped moving. The didnt have to leave the bedding areas as water and food were there. Rut was at night due to warm weather .. I am pumped about next year..Its gonna be real good. The big bucks are gonna be BIGGER!

Posted By: Yippie21

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 05:30 AM

First year on least just west of Hamilton. Suck-[censored] supersuckfest. No deer... naaadaaa. Lots of pics up till rifle season started, and then, they left or feed in the middle of the night. At least 6 or 7 nice bucks on camera in October were missing in November and never showed up again. WTF describes my first year on this "promising" lease. damn.

Posted By: dgates23

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 05:55 AM

Saw a lot of big bucks at night before rut. When rut started they all came out and some guys on our lease shot 2 10pts and an 8pt. Lots of doe still running around. But the bucks have vanished. Olney tx

Posted By: MaggieMTx

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 06:15 AM

Sucked! Young bucks on game cam all pre-season then nada once season started up. Few doe but none even during shooting light. 1 doe in the freezer for me, 2 doe & a cull for bayourat. I still have 4 doe tags to fill & I will.

The lease down by the lake was the usual tho, good..plenty of deer for the freezer & too many turkey.

The winter dove season was actually BETTER then the summer.

Posted By: Earl

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 06:32 AM

el muy Sucko...

First year in 4 that I did not take a deer...and FIRST year that I had 2 leases in 2 different counties (Young and Jack) - and still drew a blank.

Though I admit by Thanksgiving I pretty much had given up. If I hunted harder around Thanksgiving I MIGHT have gotten one but after all the hunts where I saw nothing or only one or two deer I decided turkey day would be better spent with the family...didn't go but one weekend since Thanksgiving.

I'll go back out this weekend and try and get something for my son, that's what counts anyways.

Earl

Posted By: BWRanch

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 06:46 AM

Outstanding! We r mld III and still have time to kill, to date I have harvested all w my bow 138-8pt, 145-9pt, 150-10pt as far as bucks go!

Posted By: Seadog

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 07:40 AM

Sucked!!! Killed a spike for freezer meat and it was the only legal buck I saw!!! Saw 5 bucks, 1 of them mature 5.5yr old 10 point with 11-12" inside spread and the others 2.5yr old with 11-12" inside spread, and none met the 13in rule and no promise of them making it!!! The only does I saw came after they were illegal to shoot!!!

Posted By: Knightdiscshooter

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 08:57 AM

A bust so far! Had oil drillers come in and spooked everything off that was the 2nd weekend of the season. Finally 12-31-10 had 2 doe on camera and one buck. did get a couple of hogs tho! I'm in the strawn area.

Posted By: Savage388

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 11:05 AM

I really didn't get to hunt as much as usuall. I got an 16" 8pt on opening day, really wish I had time to hunt everyday because I would have let him make it. I shot what would have been one of the three biggest hogs I've ever shot, but he soaked up two shots from my 7mm mag and left the country never to be seen again. My dad hunts in SW Nacogdoches and saw deer nearly every day untill very late in the season. He killed a cull 7pt, 14" with only one brow tine. And a big spike. He waited too long for the big one I suppose, like everyone else, he saw all the good bucks about a week before opening day.

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 12:20 PM

sucked

Posted By: azcoyote

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 12:22 PM

The worst in 5 years!! Luckily got some hogs and a doe for the freezer but thats it!! I sure hope next year is better!!

Posted By: Jasb

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 01:02 PM

Mine was pretty good. Killed a 10 that I had never seen. Shot all my doe and had others come out and shoot some as well. Only one buck from the place got taken and thats a good thing. With the lack of rain the winter wheat never did come up very good and we turned the cows on it once it did so we didnt have the large numbers that we are use to. But all in all it was a good year. Wish we could have killed about 20 more does.

Posted By: powerstroke

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 01:12 PM

Sucked in lampassas for me.Some decent bucks that I passed on was shot.Tags still full.Did get 1 axis doe.

Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 01:25 PM

Very good season for me. We hunt in McCulloch County. Got to sit in the stand with my son and watch him shoot a buck and two does. I shot two cull bucks and a doe. So we ended up with six total and could have easily had more.

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 01:25 PM

Great.

Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 01:31 PM

Still happening! Two weeks of youth hunting and one lease I get invited on will stay open thru January. Been a good year but weird. Bucks working scrapes in January??
flag

Posted By: Paluxy300blk

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 01:32 PM

I'd say it was better than last year. I was more prepared and had a little more experience under the belt.

As for the locations, I did well in Erath County but I've heard from several locals that I did better than most there. I took one 8 point that I should have let walk, but live and learn. I managed to squeeze in a decent 10 at the end of the year, making all the hunts in between all the more worthwhile.

At my Anderson County location, I saw lots of does on a regular basis but only one buck. He was a cull, but I never got around to taking him out. At least 3 year old w/spike on one side and fork on the other. If he lives and sticks around, he's on my list for next year.

Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 01:53 PM

Excellent! Got one really good buck this year. Biggest I've ever had come across my path. Saw a few other good bucks, tons of does. I filled my tags this year and the freezer is full. Now it's back to hogs and yotes until next season.

Posted By: Adraper

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:05 PM

$2000 = 1 pig and 1 80lb doe (that my wife shot). Didn't see a deer that would have scored over 115". Great trophy lease......

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:09 PM

Great season, never fired a shot. All but one of my guest's scored.

We won't talk about the arrow and the tree limb.

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

We won't talk about the arrow and the tree limb.

would this story fall into the same category as giant washouts and Z 71's? just kidding
grinbolt

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Adraper
$2000 = 1 pig and 1 80lb doe (that my wife shot). Didn't see a deer that would have scored over 115". Great trophy lease......

what lease are you on around Lufkin?

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:06 PM

It was pretty awsome for us. We are still letting our deer get older for the most part, our place was shot out bad before we got it. We shot our first managment buck and a couple does. Seeing more and better deer all the time. For the first time in our lives we shot a good cull buck instead of shooting the 2.5 and 3.5 year old 8's 9's and 10's. Next year shuold be a good one for us and the year after even better.

matt

Posted By: TooLow

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:08 PM

Everytime I was at the ranch I basically said at the end of each day. WTF bang

Posted By: jrpbullrider

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:09 PM

Being this was my 1st year going I think I did real good I got 4 deer so far 2 does 1 spike (who had a broke leg) and a good 9 point I am very happy with this season. I will be going out in a few days to try and get my last doe going to try and get a bigger one than the 1st doe I shot. and the best part of the season was the fact that I learned a lot of new things as I was out there and on here. It was fun time in the woods and relaxing. The biggest thing I learned was I did not have to pay $,1000's and $1,000's to go and get some meat in the house. I did not go before due to I never had the $$ to go but I was able to go this year with out having to pay for a lease and that helped out a lot.

Posted By: Tx_Phantom

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:11 PM

Happy with my season. 2 spike bucks and a huge sow so far… If I shoot anything else, I will have to consider giving away… No more room.

Posted By: Cborden

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:14 PM

Sucked..I'm glad the fishing starts getting good in a couple months..

Posted By: CzechBoy

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:15 PM

Better than average

Brownsboro Texas.....saw alot of deer!!! Killed two!!

Posted By: TTT Ranch

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:16 PM

Best year we have ever had in Montague County. 3 bucks ranging from 120"-135". On average, we saw a lot more deer per sitting than usual.

Posted By: catchin'

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 03:31 PM

This was my first year hunting. My hunting buddy is my son. As far as deer does it's been OK. 2 more weekends left.
Blind = $210
Corn = $550
Gas = @ $1200
Lease = $1500
Time with my son = Priceless

Posted By: reeder05

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 04:39 PM

By far the best. Panhandle saw alot of rain this past summer. Fawn survival rate was highest I have seen. Our management plan is starting to show.

Killed the biggest of my life, 10 pt, 179.

Briscoe Co.

Posted By: KG68

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 06:09 PM

One of the best ever in central and western Mills. Deer numbers are up and in great shape and the horn hunters had a fantastic year.

Posted By: redhunter

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 06:10 PM

good and bad,

the bad--my property in jones county, in avoca. didnt see a deer all season, except on camera

good--got to hunt a high fenced place in hunt county and took a 12 point, 168 b&c!!

Posted By: Red_Breast

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 08:30 PM

Mine was about the same as last year. Shot a spike and an 8 pointer. But I did get a doe with my cross bow this year.

Posted By: bigbuck1

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 08:43 PM

Not good at all.About as bad as any I can remember.

Posted By: CFR

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 09:00 PM

My best season ever. My son and I hunted Northwest Florida, Southwest Georgia, and West Texas and both were successful in all three states.

My son turned sixteen this year and shot a ten point out of a NW FLorida stand that I had been hunting since '99 and had on seen and shot dinks out of (FL law won't let anyone under 16 hunt alone, so this was his first opportunity to hunt this particular stand). I was up on our Georgia lease when he called me with the news, so I hopped down and hauled butt to help him drag his buck out. Although I did not pull the trigger on this one, it is the one I am most proud of....nice to know he was paying attention all those years I was teaching him how to hunt and shoot.

As always, the most fun part of our season was the annual road trip to W Texas for a week of hunting. While we both shot bucks slightly smaller than we did last year, we were both very pleased and can't wait to come back this upcoming fall!

The bulk of my hunting took place on my SW Georgia lease and took a nice ten and an even bigger nine point.

As far as quantity, it seemed as everywhere I hunted that I did see less deer movement this year.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 09:03 PM

Archer, Baylor, and Foard Co were very good!

Red River Co was very bad. (we only saw one legal buck of any kind all year; and fewer does again this year.

Posted By: Waylon A.

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 09:09 PM

Northern Eastland/Southern Stephens County

Really didn't see a rut which is crucial on my small property.
Deer were there, but somewhat illusive because of the acorns until the end of December.
The best native buck I had disappeared before rifle season and hasn't returned.
Decent bucks that showed up last year didn't return this year.

Not a shot was fired but I still had fun.

Posted By: COWDOG

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 09:47 PM

Saw 5 deer total in Runnels county shot 0.
Shot 2 doe in Llano county saw hundereds....

Posted By: pig out

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 10:06 PM

less than average
Robertson county
to many acorns so the deer didn't come to the feeders at all.

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 10:17 PM

So far so good. 6 does, 2 culls and 1 management that scored 147. Plus a few quail and hogs. We're MLD3 and hunt 'til the end of Feb. So the hunt for my trophy continues. I let friends and family kill the 2 culls and management buck so I don't have any horns yet.

Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 10:18 PM

Frustrating and successful I fought through loads of non skilled weekend warriors to come out with 3 bucks taken in 2 states

Posted By: Quick Shoot Again

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 10:47 PM

Not too good, had a knee replaced the 9th of Nov so that pretty well s@$#wed the first 1/2 of the season. That is when we had all of the bucks moving. Then during Dec I haven't seen a buck. Now I will take my 2 grandsons down to see if they get a shot at a doe. I had rather them kill one than me anyhow.

Posted By: kyle1974

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 10:58 PM

it was decent.

9 point cull, a few does, and an O.K. 187" 17 point.

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 11:05 PM

Less than average
2nd to worst year out of last 11... last year was worst.
Stephens Co. N of Strawn
10 hunters harvested 3 bucks 5 doe off 1000ac lease.

I hunt A LOT! probably 30 days of the season 13 different deer total.

Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 11:10 PM

Pretty average season....took a mature 8(largest buck i've taken in 4 years) and several does. Let a very young 125+ class 9pt walk....still having second thoughts on that one...(be looking for him next year). Saw a lot of deer towards the end of the season and some young bucks with potential....had a few big ones give us the slip and one very wide racked 8 that was broken off on one side....oh, and we opened up a can of whoop-%^% on the hogs....pork is good!....NW Coleman county

Posted By: Bonehead

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 11:16 PM

Non-existent

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 11:20 PM

If you guage it by deer size, it was the best ever. If you judge it by the whole experience, I have to start over since my Dad died. I doubt that I'll ever enjoy it as much as before then so beginning anew, overall it was still the best...since then.

Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/04/11 11:41 PM

N Comanche Co.....sucked

Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/05/11 12:17 AM

I call mine fair. Saw plenty of does in Throckmorton Co, and pulled the trigger on a good buck there, but it was not what it usually is. My place in Young Co was slow.

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/05/11 12:38 AM

I am not sure how to rate it...from a personal stand point I harvested the best buck by far I have ever had the opportunity to take so that part of it was great. I took two weeks of vacation to hunt and had both interrupted by idiot construction workers that refused to follow the rules and messed up three days of hunting. I talked to a couple of guys on the lease over the last couple of days and no one other than myself harvested a nice buck which is pretty disappointing. And due to some family health issues I have not been able to hunt over the last month of the season. So other than harvesting the best buck of my life the rest of it SUCKED!

Posted By: Ray Ray

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/05/11 02:03 AM

Best I ever had my 9yo daughter killed her first deer.

Posted By: jmackle

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/05/11 02:48 PM

It was good. I didn't see the amount of deer I wanted, but I saw the one that counted (and he was the only deer I saw while sitting in a blind).

On the other hand, I was forced to get out of the blind and work for my deer. I learned how to stalk and identify areas to sit and watch. For the first time in my life, I hunted all day (several times) and was infrequently rewarded with seeing a doe or small buck cross a creek or a road. So, I was able to turn the negative of deer-less feeders into a positive of adding some new techniques to my arsenal.

Posted By: MikeBillington

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/05/11 02:53 PM

Business wise with the taxidermy pretty good, personal wise pathetic. Didn't even get our meat for the freezer much less seeing a legal buck. I think the coyotes ruined it for us this year. They are all over this place right now. Going to start to trap for them.

Posted By: TexasQuackHunter

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/06/11 01:26 AM

No deer confused2 realmad

Posted By: snakebyte922

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/06/11 01:38 AM

awesome, didn t kill anything, but a free hunt. ozona tx

Posted By: marced

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/06/11 02:09 AM

Better than average. Shot the biggest buck I've ever shot first thing opening day and my son got his first deer ever.

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/06/11 02:53 AM

Last year on the new place we saw a lot of deer even in October during the archery season, does and bucks every time we sat, and some pretty decent mature bucks, but this year it was like night and day.

October we saw very few deer and tons of hogs, and then during the season we did start to see more deer but all in all fewer than last year, and way fewer young bucks and even less mature bucks.

We had a nice mature eight taken and an eleven point that aged around 4 1/2 years and a spike.

What I will say is the reason for the fewer deer would have to be acorns, since they didn't have to move much to find food, and the heavy growth from the early rains we had at the start of last year which made seeing deer early in October darn near impossible, and also the hog explosion that seems to be getting worse.

Posted By: Tres

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/06/11 04:52 AM

Not a horn has hit the ground at our place, but my freezer is packed, thank the Lord for does and hogs.

Posted By: craige

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/06/11 05:05 AM

I had a good season. I didn't shoot the biggest. Seen alot of deer, I was holding out trying to get my wife her first.
Shot 1 doe and 1 buck

Posted By: 1000YRDSTARE

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/06/11 01:08 PM

Very weak. Jack Co. Death to all acorns! Nuff said.

Only reason I have meat in the cheat freezer
is because another THF member
up

Posted By: mfnlonewolf

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/06/11 01:50 PM

Slow, saw only 2 bucks and no does. Shot a 8pt management buck on opening morning. The other buck was shot by my sil in the middle of December.

Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/06/11 02:53 PM

bang, bang, twing. Coyote with a rifle, buck with a rifle, hog with a bow.

Posted By: AmoCuernos

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/06/11 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Better than average

Average

Less than average

Location and Why popcorn

Better than average

Webb County

Seasonal rains really let the deer pack on their full potential antler growth this year.

Posted By: yeti2009

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/06/11 11:32 PM

Great before acorns. Lots of deer. Nice, mature bucks. Lots of pics on the camera.

Sucked after acorns. Few, if any deer. If they decided to make their presence known, it was at 3am. Even the hogs moved on.

Nothing you can do except get ready for this year.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/07/11 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Better than average

Average

Less than average

Location and Why popcorn

Better than average

Webb County

Seasonal rains really let the deer pack on their full potential antler growth this year.

ya'll shot the biggest deer in the state and it was only "better than average"?

man i would say it was effing superfantastical

Posted By: jacklegend09

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/07/11 06:23 AM

Ridiculously sucky. Did not see a buck all season. Went hunting one afternoon, saw not one thing. Less than an hour later headed out in the Jap truck to go spotlighting, about 15 deer around the feeder I was hunting. Talk about being pissed off!!!

Franklin County, between Talco and Hagansport.

Went hunting outside of Hughes Springs one weekend and was lucky enough to see a doe and 2 fawns one morning and I assume the same doe and 1 of the fawns that afternoon, which the fawn came within probably 40 yards of my box stand. We had some doe tags we could of used out there, guess I should of used on of em.

Posted By: Rudy-S2k

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/07/11 07:34 AM

Didn't go hunting this year. No time! frown

Posted By: Oline Coach

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/07/11 04:38 PM

Saw only one mature buck all season. He's in the freezer!

Posted By: lucky man

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/11/11 04:02 PM

GRAHAM,TX.-YOUNG COUNTY. WORST YEAR EVER(15 YRS. SAME LEASE). FEWEST AND SMALLEST DEER EVER. OVERALL, ENJOYED EVERYDAY OF HUNTING. TAGGING OUT IS JUST GRAVY.

Posted By: Adraper

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/11/11 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: Adraper

what lease are you on around Lufkin?

I'm not saying on an open forum. I don't want anyone to take offense. My experience may not be the same as others. I don't want to bash th lease by, huh, telling the truth.

Posted By: Bannon

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/11/11 08:42 PM

Used ATV- $3,000
Feeders- $500
Stand fix up- $200
Corn- $500
Rifle- $800
Muzzleloader- $600
Fuel- $1,000
Work- 100 man hours- x $50 = $5,000 (Includes tractor)
...and I'm not including "incidentals".

Deer seen - 6
Deer shot - 0 (ZERO)

SOOOooo...about 12 grand to see 6 deer.
Relaxation quotient versus frustration - not enough, negligable.
Guess I'll give it one more year.

Posted By: Texas Heat

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/11/11 10:02 PM

Best year ever for me. Got my personal best buck, put my wife on her first deer ever a nice little 8 point. Now she isn't mad at me for not letting her take the 80lbs doe last year LOL. And my dad got a nice 8 point as well.

This was our first and maybe only year on the place. Hopefully get another shot at it next year cause all the real big bucks stayed nocturnal all season.

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/11/11 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Bannon
Used ATV- $3,000
Feeders- $500
Stand fix up- $200
Corn- $500
Rifle- $800
Muzzleloader- $600
Fuel- $1,000
Work- 100 man hours- x $50 = $5,000 (Includes tractor)
...and I'm not including "incidentals".

Deer seen - 6
Deer shot - 0 (ZERO)

SOOOooo...about 12 grand to see 6 deer.
Relaxation quotient versus frustration - not enough, negligable.
Guess I'll give it one more year.

So next year should only cost you 1,500 for corn and gas right?

Posted By: Bannon

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/11/11 10:25 PM

Not really, can only subtract guns & ATV, everything else will have to be redressed.
SOOOooo....it may only cost me $7,200 to see 6 deer and not fire a shot!

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/11/11 10:35 PM

You buy new feeders every year? Dang can I have your old ones?

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/11/11 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Heat

I want some too, and for 200 buck per year you better be getting a new blind too. It only costs me corn, bullets, and gas. Had the same feeder and blinds and guns for years.

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/11/11 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: Texas Heat

I want some too, and for 200 buck per year you better be getting a new blind too. It only costs me corn, bullets, and gas. Had the same feeder and blinds and guns for years.
me too but that's because I'm poor

Posted By: tonyguitarguy

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/12/11 02:31 AM

14 hunts since October at a family ranch. Shot 1 doe this past week. Saw only 2 other deer all season. i consider myself lucky. I have burned myself out to continue with the buck hunting this weekend. So im happy with the doe meet i have in the freezer.

Posted By: BChambers

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/15/11 10:22 PM

Since I shot my best axis so far, I'll say above average. But the acorn crop was incredible, and while on stand I never saw any of the nice bucks which appeared on cam earlier in the season. I hope the dang oak trees have got the sex out of their system for a couple years!

Posted By: 85chevy

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/16/11 03:09 AM

Absolutely SUCKED! I spent 11 hours in the stand today and not a single deer. I have seen a total of 2 deer at my lease all season.

Posted By: JustinB

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/16/11 03:13 AM

sucky

Posted By: Mr. 2 Million

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/16/11 03:27 AM

started

stayed

ended

to sum it up if you missed it , it sucked

Posted By: BAYSPORT

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/16/11 03:28 AM

Sucked

Posted By: jbs8307

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/16/11 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Fire1
Completely F—ing Awsome! up banana2 banana woot
We were Level 3 MLD for the first year, so we got to take many many does. And I got the best buck of my life (an 11 point with a kicker, 147 B&C gross) with my son and my wife in the blind with me at the time. My freezer is PACKED, we've been giving meat away, and we still have two months of hunting left to go.

Its great isnt it? We have mld 3 for 15 years and most of our big bucks come before regular rifle season opens. I shot my two biggest bucks on halloween weekend. Including a 165 inch ten point on oct 29th this year.

Posted By: oulufinn

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/16/11 04:37 PM

Saw a great hunting memory made by a pard and his Dad. Killed my first Mule Deer within 5 minutes of the Little Hammer getting one. Saw a bunch of "Gonna be nice someday" Whitetails. Whacked 10.5 hogs (One was a combo!), missed a 'yote. Spent a full month at the lease & enjoyed a bunch of good times with hunting pards at the lease. Had a few Crown dranks along the way & ate some good camp grub. Had my "Starbucks" FEMA trailer open for business at precisely 5:00 AM every morning.

Yep. As always. It was a great season! Anybody who doesn't enjoy hunting is flat doing it wrong & may need to adjust their attitudes and expectations! No matter the cost, it was priceless! cheers

Posted By: HLo

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/16/11 04:43 PM

Strange, wounded one, missed one, and killed a nice 10 by stalking and flanking...Usually I don't miss but at least I finished strong.

Posted By: caddokiller

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/16/11 07:12 PM

SUCKED!!!!

Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/17/11 06:08 PM

Very Good!

Till we found out the lease ws for sale!

Posted By: BenBob

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/17/11 06:12 PM

Liked the hunting season about like I enjoyed the Jets-Patriots game yesterday. I liked the hunting part, but did not like the outcome. The deer won this season.

Posted By: Time Killer

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/20/11 12:51 AM

Looks like we got a permanent place to hunt, so that makes it great. Didn't see a ton of deer, but saw some very promising 2-3 year olds ones on camera.
PLus, my boy got his first deer and I smoked a very nice Pronghorn in New Mexico.

Posted By: DoubleTrouble

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/20/11 11:31 AM

Great season.....filled all my doe tags, harvested 170 1/8 whitetail with bow, killed a dandy muley, and ate my gun buck tag...... but passed many great bucks doing so.

Pic dropping my bucks off @ taxidermist!!!!! Whitetail gets mounted this weekend!!!

Side view of whitetail where he dropped......

Posted By: Insight Hunting

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/20/11 01:16 PM

Mine was AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Of course, my business (part-time) is hunting so it's a little different, but it was still great none the less. In 2010 we took a total of 57 animals. I shot three whitetail myself (2 doe and the scrubbiest little cull buck I've ever seen) which I was able to give away. We took a 6x7 upper-300 class Bull Elk which is the largest trophy I've ever guided. We took a 134 5/8 Whitetail Buck opening day and a couple of other management bucks. Several people shot their first deer and I helped a 10-year-old boy take his first quality trophy, a 19 1/2-inch Blackbuck Antelope. We shot the largest Cow Elk we've ever taken as well with a dressed weight of 402 pounds.

So far in 2011 we've added 20 kills to the list including a Sika doe with a dressed weight of 93 pounds (muy grande) and an Impala doe.

The best part about all of it is that I got to spend countless hours out in the field and spent time with many new friends. We spent time around the fire, ate well and grew relationships.

It's been a great year!

Posted By: SATX

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/20/11 05:10 PM

I would sum up my year in different ways.

I got out much more this year and spent a lot of time in the bush which was great.

Game camera pics showed lots of good shooter 8 & 10 point bucks. Problem was they were completely nocturnal through bow season. Never saw one during the day with a bow in my hand. Had lots of sleepless nights dreaming about them.

Ended up with a cull and an 8 point at the end of the year. It was my choice to pass on does since the freezer is completely full.

This year was great, but because almost all of the really nice bucks survived, next year should be better as far as putting horns on the ground.

Posted By: BigJake

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/20/11 06:18 PM

Completely sucked. I am convinced there are only 3 doe in Young County...

Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/20/11 10:00 PM

Good and Bad / Sweet and Sour -

The Good and Sweet -
Spent the most time in the field in my whole life - from October through December I spent over 50 days hunting! Really enjoyed it.

The Bad and Sour -
No harvest - and saw very few deer.

Posted By: bigbuck1

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/20/11 11:57 PM

Bigjake I feel your pain. I also hunt young county and it was bad this year. I shot one 2 1/2 year old spike. That was it. Never saw a shooter buck.

Posted By: cable

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/21/11 09:08 AM

Mine was great! Killed my first buck. Def learned alot over the past year as well. Was always about the birds but I can't wait to kill another deer and hopefully get drawn for a New Mexico Elk Tag!

Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/22/11 08:49 PM

I got to go.................
I saw bucks (no shooters)...OK
I shot a turkey.............Wonderful
I shot 2 does...............Outstanding

Did I say I got to go.......Wonderfully Outstanding

Posted By: Ron H

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/22/11 10:13 PM

shutout in Palo Pinto. two deer taken by 1 of 4 hunters on 640 acres. Great preseason pictures then barely so any during season.

Posted By: FlTxHunter

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/23/11 12:02 AM

Had an exceptional year. Having moved to Georgia last January I was a bit concerned. Got on a decent lease and was able to get a nice 9pt and several does. Saw a couple of giants but couldn't get a shot on them. But they are still walking so I'm really looking forward to the next season.

Posted By: Texas Proud

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/23/11 12:07 AM

Filled the freezer. Had a good time hunting w/ my son and hunting buddy. Looking forward to next season!!

Posted By: Longhorn95

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/23/11 01:37 AM

Great season with friends and lots of great deer shot by kids, but I did not get to spend as much time at the lease as I wanted to, only 12 or so nights.

Heading back down this Friday to wack & stack some doe & get the protein flowing.

Posted By: ffread

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/23/11 04:26 AM

Saw deer every time out except once, I only saw three mature bucks all year 1 is now on my wall. We saw numerous 2-3 year old bucks with lots of potential. Also had a 140 inch 8 point show up the last 2 weeks of the season enjoyed looking at him. Both of my boys shot 6 points (their first deer ever). On most days saw an avg of 5-10 deer in both mornings and evenings.

Stephens County

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/23/11 01:50 PM

I went out yesterday for the first time since the deer season ended and my intent was to help thin the hog herd.

I saw hogs but they were out of range of my 45 Long Colt, but I did see a dozen deer, with ten does that ate my corn I threw out on the road I was watching.

It was a fun morning and plenty of game, and a couple young bucks that seemed to be still looking for a doe.

Those hogs were lucky they stayed out of range!

Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Sum up your deer season - 01/24/11 01:37 AM

Comanche Co east of Lk Proctor.... sucked! I'm now a duck hunter

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum