Texas Hunting Forum

Shot a spike...Question

Posted By: TgrygTC

Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 01:11 AM

Christmas day We went hunting at my place and on our hitlist was this spike..

Now I was recently informed of "the crease method" in judging the age of a deer and this deer has a few. We've always been under the impression of if it's a spike then shoot im off because out there, we have antler restrictions so even if he grows to be a bigger deer, I wouldn't expect him to grow to meet these restrictions. So that morning he walks out, decent size body, short head, and I put him down. Walking up to him he looks to be about a 3.5 year old deer, until my brother checks his teeth. He didn't have but maybe 6 or 7 in the front, no big teeth to age a deer by, just a hard gum, it felt as though they were supposed to be there and had fallen out. Here's the final picture...

My question is, in y'alls opinion, the right move or the wrong move because I'm assuming by the teeth problem he was a very young deer. Still a spike, but a young one. Or is there maybe another variable I'm missing?

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 01:16 AM

Post a pic of the jaw if you have it. He looks young to me. 1.5 yr olds born in some counties in April or May will lose their milk teeth at this time of the year. So that is what you may be seeing.

Posted By: obryankl

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 01:19 AM

Definitely young. I have to agree with stx on the age.

Pretty sad...even my wife (who knows nothing about deer) could tell it's very young.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 01:21 AM

He is just a year and a half. There's no telling if he ever would have turned out to be a good one and it doesn't really matter. You shoot what you choose as long as it's legal and follows your lease rules. The rest is just details.

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 01:23 AM

I'll try to post a picture of the jaw tomorrow, but just to be certain, I did shoot a spike...people have been telling me that yearlings grow spike antlers and i have never heard this, ive heard of button bucks and then up...put it this way...the spike looked much older than this deer(Same property)...

he even looked like he was starting to get a roman nose

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 01:25 AM

don't get me wrong, i knew he wasnt an old bruiser, but it's still a spike, why keep a spike around.

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 01:29 AM

I'm simply trying to get educated on the subject. I've always heard, a spike is a spike, nothing more. So when we see spike we try to shoot it. This is the first deer shot off this place the entire 6 years we've been hunting it. We don't shoot young deer because we try to manage the place as best as possible. Which is why most deer we see, walk, although our neighbors aren't as management minded as we are. If I made a mistake that's fine, I just want to learn from it if I did.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 01:30 AM

I'm hoping I'm as lucky this weekend.

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: obryankl

Pretty sad...even my wife (who knows nothing about deer) could tell it's very young.

who cares what your wife thinks...the guy made a choice to shoot a deer. he wasnt asking for a lecture from a wanna be qdma agent. i do respect stxranchmans opinion though.

Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: TgrygTC
don't get me wrong, i knew he wasnt an old bruiser, but it's still a spike, why keep a spike around.

most studies indicate that a spike at 1.5 doesn't indicate anything good or bad, spikes at 1.5 often turn into great Deer later. now if you see a 3.5 with spikes or one side spikes, then I say go for it. I am also of belief if legal, then your choice and others shouldn't give you grief even if not their choice. I personally don't like to kill does after the rut, although it would be legal.

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 01:34 AM

Spikes are for the most part almost always 1.5yr old deer and will normally grow more points in future years. Depends on your management goals if you want to shoot spikes or keep them in the herd. If you are LF and have plenty of great looking young bucks then shoot them. If you do not have lots of bucks then I might keep them in the herd to help with your numbers. You can talk to 100 people and get a different reason from each one on why to keep spikes or why to shoot them. You have to make that decision on your property.

Posted By: Paluxy300blk

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: passthru
He is just a year and a half. There's no telling if he ever would have turned out to be a good one and it doesn't really matter. You shoot what you choose as long as it's legal and follows your lease rules. The rest is just details.

Good answer. There are always going to be guys who will chew you out for shooting it. "It could have had lots of potential." The fact is, it is legal, and it was your choice to take it. Don't worry about what us Internet folk think. I personally would have let him walk, but that is MY choice.

Posted By: gary75758

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Spikes are for the most part almost always 1.5yr old deer and will normally grow more points in future years. Depends on your management goals if you want to shoot spikes or keep them in the herd. If you are LF and have plenty of great looking young bucks then shoot them. If you do not have lots of bucks then I might keep them in the herd to help with your numbers. You can talk to 100 people and get a different reason from each one on why to keep spikes or why to shoot them. You have to make that decision on your property.

+1

Well said Stxranchman
texas

Posted By: TAT

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 01:53 AM

congrats on your kill. if he is as young as everyone says, he should eat good!!

Posted By: Curly

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: 214tat2guy

X2! food

Posted By: Parker

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Curly

X2! food

Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 03:23 AM

I hope i am as lucky this weekend. Didn't see a doe during our two week doe season and yet to get a shot at a legal buck this year.

Posted By: Insight Hunting

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 03:34 AM

From the picture is looks like a young deer. I also support your decision to take the spike even though smart people argue on both sides of the great spike debate.

Good work. Your kill was legal and ethical, IMHO.

Posted By: TAT

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Insight Hunting
From the picture is looks like a young deer. I also support your decision to take the spike even though smart people argue on both sides of the great spike debate.

up

Posted By: Seadog

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 07:34 AM

up

up

Posted By: deerslayer78

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 07:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Seadog

up

up

up

Posted By: gogburn

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 10:36 AM

I'm simply trying to get educated on the subject. I've always heard, a spike is a spike, nothing more. So when we see spike we try to shoot it. This is the first deer shot off this place the entire 6 years we've been hunting it. We don't shoot young deer because we try to manage the place as best as possible. Which is why most deer we see, walk, although our neighbors aren't as management minded as we are. If I made a mistake that's fine, I just want to learn from it if I did.

This study documents one viewpoint...

http://www.deertv.tv/deerchannel/articles/antlerdevelopment.pdf

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 02:44 PM

Our deer are usualy born pretty late, we see alot of first year spikes, have yet to see a 2.5 spike.

matt

Posted By: red draw

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 03:43 PM

Pretty sad? I don't know if I'd go that far! He was just asking about the possible age,etc. It's sad when they get hit by a car,etc. but killing a legal deer to me isn't usually sad. Especially on a hunting forum. As mentioned before; he'll eat good.

Posted By: jbs8307

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 03:51 PM

This statement is 100 percent correct. Most of the guys on my lease have agreed to not shoot spikes until they are 2.5 now. There are too many studies that now contradict the "once a spike always a spike theory".
Congrats on your kill. There is no wrong in it and don't let any of these guys make you feel guilty for killing a young deer.

Posted By: jbs8307

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Our deer are usualy born pretty late, we see alot of first year spikes, have yet to see a 2.5 spike.

matt

We have killed 3 that were older than 1.5 in 15 years on our lease.

Posted By: DAVIDBAVO

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 03:54 PM

I have harvested a spike the past two years I wish I wouldn't have. Both times the bodies looked bigger than what I walked up on after I shot. We do need to harvest more deer than what we do on our lease, but I think I will wait to see another buck that I know is 2 1/2 yrs old standing beside it to get a better idea of spikes age and size.

Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 04:13 PM

The OP made a legal and ethical kill, and will get no criticism from me. Each to their own. That spike will sure taste better than any 5.5year old tough arsed buck would.

But to the spike will always be a spike statement, simply not true. Here's a buck that was taken off our E tx place during bow season this year. he started life as a spike and we watched him grow up to this.

Not a monster, but a very respectable buck for where we hunt.

Posted By: TxTechsan

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 04:17 PM

Looks like a 1.5yr old to me too. Some people shoot them and some don't it's up to the shooter. Your statement about hearing that "spikes are always spikes" is absolutely not true though. Some turn out to be nice deer. We don't shoot 1.5yr old spikes. Don't usually have many but we do see a few. I suspect due to being born late as has been mentioned already We have yet to see a 2.5yr old spike on any of the places I hunt in NW Tx. I had a yearling spike with about 3" antlers a couple of years ago. He had a big scar on his shoulder. The next year he was an exceptional 9pt 2.5yr old. I hope he makes it 2 more years so I can show pics of him at different stages in life and show what he turned into.

Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 04:52 PM

Quote:
I'm simply trying to get educated on the subject. I've always heard, a spike is a spike, nothing more.

Not really true, the reason for the spike tag in antler restriction counties was IMO to appease some of the meat hunters, made the AR's easier to take by adding a second buck to the bag limit. There are some studies that show spikes don't have the potential to grow as big of antlers when they mature as yearling bucks that are 4 points or greater, but this is not always the case.

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: bossbowman
Quote:
I'm simply trying to get educated on the subject. I've always heard, a spike is a spike, nothing more.

Not really true, the reason for the spike tag in antler restriction counties was IMO to appease some of the meat hunters, made the AR's easier to take by adding a second buck to the bag limit. There are some studies that show spikes don't have the potential to grow as big of antlers when they mature as yearling bucks that are 4 points or greater, but this is not always the case.

I believe you are correct about AR's and appeasing meat hunters!!! In my County, Tyler, we were a 2 buck, 2 doe County to start with!!! The explanation we got for AR's is to save a lot of the young bucks from being killed!!! In my little niche in the County we have a problem with the narrow racks genetics and so the older mature bucks are being saved also. My point to all this is that they could have done the same thing of saving a lot of young bucks by reducing the limit to 1 buck!!!

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 06:04 PM

Unless the deer has some marking on the body, how would you ever know he grew to be bigger than a spike. Mainly to the guy with the picture.

Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 06:33 PM

Quote:
I believe you are correct about AR's and appeasing meat hunters!!! In my County, Tyler, we were a 2 buck, 2 doe County to start with!!! The explanation we got for AR's is to save a lot of the young bucks from being killed!!! In my little niche in the County we have a problem with the narrow racks genetics and so the older mature bucks are being saved also. My point to all this is that they could have done the same thing of saving a lot of young bucks by reducing the limit to 1 buck!!!

Don't get me wrong I am a fan of the AR, its working great in the counties I hunt lot more bucks making to the next year, seeing more mature bucks every year. They work, I just think their reasoning for the spike tag had more to do with increasing hunter opportunity than culling out weaker antler genetics.

Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 07:20 PM

Unless the deer has some marking on the body, how would you ever know he grew to be bigger than a spike. Mainly to the guy with the picture.

Look at that deer's right front leg in the pic. Notice the deformity? He got hung up in a fence or something his first year, as a spike, and that's how we got to watch him grow year after year. His name was "the gimp".

Now I'm not making the point that all spikes will grow to be better than avg deer. Just saying most of them will not be spikes year after year. And this one sample showed us what they can become if left to grow. That buck is 4.5 years old. Again, not a monster, but an above avg buck for our place.

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: bossbowman
Quote:

Don't get me wrong I am a fan of the AR, its working great in the counties I hunt lot more bucks making to the next year, seeing more mature bucks every year. They work, I just think their reasoning for the spike tag had more to do with increasing hunter opportunity than culling out weaker antler genetics.

Even though I'm not a fan of AR's but I'm agreeing with you on the point of the spike tag is more to appease the hunter than culling bucks!!! All I'm saying is that I see bucks, some mature, every year at my lease unfortunately they do not meet the 13in spread and the young ones I see will not ever make the spread!!! Tyler County was a 2 buck County and is still a 2 buck County, 1 spike. 1 13in spread, and yes it was to appease hunters there!!! I just wished they had lowered the bag limit instead!!!

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 07:50 PM

I dont mean this in a bad way, but if you are realy trying to get educated or learn something then quit looking at the horns for a little while and focus on the things that will actualy give you insight on the age of a deer. I know that I am no profesion by a long shot, but the only thing 1.5 and 3.5 year old deer have in comon is that they are deer. Pay more attention to body features. Best of luck to yal.

matt

Posted By: DANIEL32

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 08:49 PM

What you did was legal so I say you didn't do anything wrong.

If you're selective on the deer you're taking like you mentioned then that spike wont make too much of a difference. We have 1800 acres in Cuero TX and we take spike(young and old) and the deer population is very good. Cuero is also an AR county and we've taken several 12's 10's and 8's up to the 150's which for our area is good.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just enjoy the tender back strap you now have

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 08:56 PM

I say do what you wanna do. Yes they can and will put on more points, some will catch up with the rest, a lot won't...but if you are hurting for decent bucks...the more bucks you leave on the place the better your odds are of finding one that you like when they get age on them.

Posted By: bigmike_ml21

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/30/10 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: txhunter24
Originally Posted By: obryankl

who cares what your wife thinks...the guy made a choice to shoot a deer. he wasnt asking for a lecture from a wanna be qdma agent. i do respect stxranchmans opinion though.

congrats on your deer cheers

Posted By: billy gordon

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/31/10 12:35 AM

Question;If you let a spike reach 3.5 yeasrs old and still stays a spike how many times has he bred does during that period?Seems you are taking a chance of alot of future spikes.Im i wrong?

Posted By: blancobuster

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/31/10 01:02 AM

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/game_management/deer/genetics/

I found a lot of good info from this study, I shot a spike earlier this year, we have plenty of deer and nice young bucks, however someone else on our lease has different opinions. I say shoot a spike but there are many differing opinions. He tasted great BTW!!

Posted By: B G

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/31/10 02:02 AM

From the trail cam photo this deer is 1 1/2. Long legs and a slick long body with no belly. Depending on when in the spring it was born and the nutrition that it recieved will determine the antlers that it grows the first year. I have seen nubbin bucks to small six points in the same 1 1/2 year class on the same property in a season. The old adage of once a spike always a spike is not true. Let the young ones walk, if at 3 years they are still a spike take them out because they can do a lot of damage to other bucks with those rapiers in a fight.

Posted By: B G

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/31/10 02:10 AM

Here is the research that Deer and Deer Hunting put together.

www.deeranddeerhunting.com/article/thecullingmythexposed

Posted By: AmoCuernos

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/31/10 04:36 PM

his teeth. He didn't have but maybe 6 or 7 in the front, no big teeth to age a deer by, just a hard gum, it felt as though they were supposed to be there and had fallen out

They don't have top front teeth period ever... And 1.5 year old deer have missing milk teeth on the bottom jaw

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/31/10 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I dont mean this in a bad way, but if you are realy trying to get educated or learn something then quit looking at the horns for a little while and focus on the things that will actualy give you insight on the age of a deer. matt

I'm not lookin at the antlers to age. In my mind, its always been if its a spike its a spike, shoot regardless of age. I knew he was young, not 1.5 but young, but I was shooting regardless on the age because it was a spike that, to me, wasn't going to get any bigger. I won't be anymore because we have low deer numbers and if it is going to get bigger, we'll let him walk unless he's 3.5 or older

Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/31/10 06:57 PM

My question is, in y'alls opinion, the right move or the wrong move because I'm assuming by the teeth problem he was a very young deer. Still a spike, but a young one. Or is there maybe another variable I'm missing?[/quote]

Congrats... Nice buck. up

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 12/31/10 07:45 PM

I'm not lookin at the antlers to age. In my mind, its always been if its a spike its a spike, shoot regardless of age.

I will simply put it as...we have quite a few spikes every year that are resident feeder hogs on a property... our 2.5yo crew the following year usually looks decent.

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 01/01/11 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: billy gordon
Question;If you let a spike reach 3.5 yeasrs old and still stays a spike how many times has he bred does during that period?Seems you are taking a chance of alot of future spikes.Im i wrong?
??????????????????????????????????????Anyone with a good answer/Nice deer deer meat is deer meat reguardless what some say. up

Posted By: blancobuster

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 01/01/11 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: B G
Here is the research that Deer and Deer Hunting put together.

www.deeranddeerhunting.com/article/thecullingmythexposed

that is pretty intersting that study goes against the one that TPWD did at Kerr WMA that I found. At my buddies ranch down the road from the WMA, they are harvesting all spikes and were even going as far to kill a lot of bucks 5 points or less if they had no browtines depending on age, however they are high fenced, overpopulated in general but especially with spikes and even some unicorns, and managing for trophys and they have a ton of 2.5 and 3.5 year old big 10 and 8s, so it all just depends on the situation you are in. if you don't have many bucks, I would say leave them if you dont have many bucks or deer in general, but if you have plenty of nice young bucks I think that harvesting spikes is a good idea no matter the age. Taking spikes out is obviously a priority in the overall management of the herds in the entire state, since there is the late spike doe season as an incentive to take more spikes and does if the freezer is not full.

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 01/01/11 02:58 AM

??????????????????????????????????????Anyone with a good answer/Nice deer deer meat is deer meat reguardless what some say. up

It depends...on several things. How many bucks are in the herd? How many older bucks are in that herd? What is the buck to doe ratio? How large body wise and aggressive is this buck? Answer to how many doe a buck can breed is dependent on all of these answers and more. Chances are slim that he will be a spike at 3.5 but it can and has happened.

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 01/01/11 05:32 AM

It depends...on several things. How many bucks are in the herd? How many older bucks are in that herd? What is the buck to doe ratio? How large body wise and aggressive is this buck? Answer to how many doe a buck can breed is dependent on all of these answers and more. Chances are slim that he will be a spike at 3.5 but it can and has happened.
Thanks,Was curious.

Posted By: Earl

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 01/04/11 07:02 AM

My opinion would be of the minority when it comes to trophy minded hunters.

My opinion is that there was a time (and to me it was in many ways a better time) when the primary motive was not antlers but putting food on the table and enjoying being in the outdoors with friends and family. It is still that way for many - truth be known, still these types of hunters probably far outnumber the trophy minded hunter. They most definitely would if it were not for the increase in lease costs over the last 10-15 years, but they still hunt on public land, on friend and family's land, on day leases, and on leases that they have to save for all year long to pay for.

I'll begrudge no man, woman, or child for taking legal game. It's their license, their decision, and they are entitled to take legal game, period. No ifs, no butts, no explanation needed.

I've taken my share of spikes over the years, truth be told as was mentioned already - they taste alot better than a big mature deer whose antlers you can't eat.

I was raised to believe once a spike, always a spike - or at least inferior to those that weren't. Maybe that isn't true but I'd rather all spikes be tamales in my tummy... (which reminds me other than Kuby's I've not found anyone in North Texas that makes them...gosh I miss South Texas sometimes.. frown )

Earl

Posted By: gogburn

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 01/06/11 11:26 PM

Thanks,Was curious.

I agree with stxranchman in that chances are slim that he will be a spike at 3.5, couple that with the fact that the older larger bucks do most of the breeding, chasing off the smaller bucks, I don't see a great danger that spikes would breed enough does to impact the population.

Posted By: dstrong

Re: Shot a spike...Question - 01/06/11 11:46 PM

in the early years i've shot my fair share of spikes... Through the years and education... My management practices have changed... If you shoot spikes you are preventing yourself from being able to harvest older and more mature bucks. Below is a publication that is very educational for all hunters and deer managers on the topic of spike and shooting them or not to shoot them... Take the time to read and it will certainly help put a lot in to perspective for all..

Spikes, The Debate Continues ..... Part 1
by Mickey W. Hellickson, Ph.D.
updated August 25, 2009

There is no other topic like the issue of spikes to spark a heated debate at deer camp. Everyone seems to have an opinion about spikes. And although much has been written about spikes, the controversy is far from resolved and seems even more heated today. Included in Part I of this three-part series, I will define what a spike is, explain the ongoing debate, and then examine the results of various penned studies that have been completed, including the results of a recent ground-breaking study by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

What Is A Spike?
Let's all start on the same page by first defining what a spike buck is. Ninety-nine percent of the time a spike buck is a one-and-a-half year-old buck. It is extremely rare for a buck two-and-a-half years old or older to still have only two antler points. In fact, we have now captured over 2,000 wild bucks in south Texas, as part of various research projects at Texas A&M University-Kingsville, and we have yet to capture a spike buck older than one-and-a-half years old! Therefore, whenever someone is talking about spikes, they aretalking about yearling bucks.

Yearling bucks are the equivalent of a young teenager. They are just getting started in life and are still at least four years away from maturity. Their bodies are only about two-thirds developed. At this young age antler growth is much less important than body growth and development. Yearling bucks are also near the bottom of the buck dominance ladder or hierarchy. The only buck more subordinate than a yearling buck is a buck fawn.

The Shoot All Spikes Theory
The age old debate regarding spikes revolves around the question of whether or not to shoot them. There are two general opinions. One opinion centers on the theory that spike bucks are genetically inferior. People on this side of the debate believe that the only good spike is a dead spike. They feel that by culling spikes they are improving the genetics of the deer herd because dead spikes cannot breed and pass on their "inferior" genes to future populations.

A second reported benefit from harvesting spikes is that these bucks can no longer compete with other deer for limited resources. On average, a buck will consume nearly one ton of forage each year of its life. If spikes are genetically inferior, the quicker they can be removed from the population the better because the forage ‘saved’ by harvesting spikes increases the amount of nutrition available for remaining deer. According to this side of the debate, managers who advocate waiting until a buck is middle-aged or mature before culling, ‘lose’ nearly one ton of forage per year per cull buck for each additional year that they allow those cull bucks to live.

A third reason suggested for harvesting spikes is that they are very easy for hunters to identify in the field. In fact, even the most inexperienced hunters are able to count antler points. Because spikes can be accurately identified, very few harvest mistakes are likely to occur. This is not the case when hunters are left to try to determine whether a potential cull or management buck is middle-aged or mature.

Lastly, some who take this side of the debate argue that if it is necessary to shoot some bucks because the deer population is too high, why not shoot spikes? Obviously, the adult sex ratio would also have to be balanced, or skewed toward bucks, to advocate harvesting spikes as a reason to reduce deer density because the quickest and most effective way to reduce deer densities is to harvest does, not bucks.

The Don’t Shoot Any SpikesTheory
The opposing opinion centers on the theory that spikes are not necessarily genetically inferior. Instead, it is believed that many of these bucks are spikes because of a host of reasons that have nothing to do with genetics. Most of the non-genetic factors mentioned as causes for spiked antlers involve poor nutrition. Nutritional factors include: (1) poor habitat; (2) drought conditions; (3) spikes that were born to doe fawns or yearling does that were not as efficient at producing milk as older does; and (4) spikes that were born with one or two other siblings and therefore had to compete with their twin or the other two triplets for the dam’s (mother’s) milk. The irony of these last two factors is that excellent nutritional conditions are required for doe fawns to breed as fawns and for does to have twin or triplet fawns survive. However, the fawns that are produced in these situations likely suffer nutritionally.

One non-nutritional factor often mentioned as a cause for spiked antlers involves a strung out or late breeding season. The result is that some does are not bred until their second or third heat cycle, 30-60 days later than does bred on their first cycle. The fawns born to these late-bred does then hit the ground 30-60 days later in the summer and are often spike-antlered the following year as a result. A severely skewed adult sex ratio is one cause for late breeding.

As mentioned above however, excellent nutritional conditions are another cause for late breeding because when nutritional levels are high, a higher percentage of doe fawns breed as fawns. By nature, doe fawns do not reach puberty until later in the breeding season than adult does, so doe fawns that are bred as fawns will almost always be bred late in the breeding season. And they will almost always produce spike-antlered yearling offspring as a result.

The Shoot All Spikes Research
The scientific basis for the Shoot All Spikes theory is rooted in research conducted within the deer pens at the Kerr Wildlife Management Area near Hunt, Texas. Texas Parks and Wildlife Department biologists Donnie Harmel, Bill Armstrong, Donnie Frahls, and others have been conducting breeding studies at this facility since 1973. During early research, they found that in a penned situation, spikes were inferior to fork-antlered bucks with regards to body weight and antler size through age four-and-a-half. They also concluded that the incidence of spiked antlers was hereditary. A third conclusion was that body and antler sizes were also influenced by nutrition.

These same biologists recently completed another long-term study on spikes with very dramatic results. They categorized yearling bucks into 3 categories: (1) yearling bucks that were able to produce forked antlers regardless of nutritional condition; (2) yearling bucks that produced spiked antlers regardless of nutritional condition; and (3) ‘swing’ deer (the largest group), which were yearlings that produced forked antlers under good nutritional conditions and spiked antlers under poor nutritional conditions.

Over a nine-year period (1991-99), pedigreed yearling bucks were placed in individual pens with 8-16 does to create single sire herds. Each December, all buck fawn offspring were then placed on a limited 8% protein diet to simulate poor nutritional conditions. The following October, the 5-6 yearling bucks with the best antler characteristics (e.g., highest gross B&C score) were used as herd sires for the next breeding season. These 5-6 bucks, out of a group of 19-34 yearling bucks, were then isolated in individual pens with 8-16 does per pen. Females that produced spike-antlered offspring, or that were siblings to spike-antlered yearlings, were selectively removed from the study. All females seven years old or older were also selectively removed.

A total of 41 single-sire breeding herds produced 217 yearling bucks during the study. Of these yearlings, 135 (62%) produced antlers with 6 or more points, while 28 (13%) produced spiked antlers. The percentage of spike-antlered yearlings declined from 33% in 1992 to only 3% in 1999, even though these bucks were nutritionally stressed! An even more amazing outcome was the tremendous increase in the percentage of yearling bucks with 8 or more points, which increased from only 3% in 1992 to 48% in 1999. This is especially astounding considering that less than 1% of yearling bucks captured in the wild in south Texas have eight or more points! Body weights also increased significantly over the course of the study. For example, average body weights for yearling bucks with 8 or more antler points increased from 117 pounds during 1992 to 139 pounds during 1999.

As a result of the above, they suggest that culling is most effective when nutritional conditions are poor(i.e., hunting seasons that follow drought conditions during late winter through spring). According to the theory, during nutritionally stressful times, the “swing” deer grow spiked antlers and can then be identified as the true culls that they are and harvested.

The Don’t Shoot Any Spikes Research
The scientific backbone for the Don’t Shoot Any Spikes theory is based on another long-term penned deer study. This study was conducted by Dr. Harry Jacobson at Mississippi State University. His results indicated that antler size in yearling bucks was not genetically based but instead, was dependent upon the time of year the buck was born. He found that spikes, more often than not, had been born later in the summer than fork-antlered bucks. Dr. Jacobson also found that there were very few differences between these spikes and forked-antlered bucks when the bucks were all five-and-a-half years old or older.

A second study, based on data from the Mississippi State University deer herd, shed further light on this ongoing debate. Dr. Steve Lukefahr, at Texas A&M University-Kingsville, did not find any antler trait in yearling bucks that could be used to reliably predict antler sizes during later years. However, as bucks increased in age, their antler traits increased in how reliably they could be used to predict antler size during later years.

In addition, he found that the dam had more influence on yearling buck antler size than any other factor. As these yearling bucks moved into older age classes however, the dam’s influence became less and less important. Dr. Lukefahr concluded that it was best to select culls from the older age classes because inferior yearling bucks could not be accurately identified based on any antler trait. Obviously, these results directly conflict with the results from the Kerr Wildlife Management Area study.

Another study by Dr. Lukefahr was based on a computer simulation to determine the genetic effects different types of buck harvests would have on the deer herd after 100 generations of implementation (about 300 years). He looked at three common management strategies. The first management type simulated a harvest of 5% of the trophy bucks and 10% of the spikes. The second simulated a harvest where spikes were intensively removed. The third simulated a harvest where trophy bucks were intensively removed.

The first harvest type caused a small, short-term increase in number of antler points in yearling bucks. The second caused a small increase in antler points. And the third caused a small decrease in antler points. However, after 100 generations all three harvest types ended with yearling bucks all within one-half point of each other. In other words, none of the harvest strategies had any long-term effect on antler sizes!

Penned Study Conclusions
The compelling results of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department’s Kerr Wildlife Management Area study clearly show that, in a penned situation where who breeds who can be chosen, yearling bucks with spiked antlers should not be allowed to breed, especially if the goal is to increase average antler sizes and body weights over time. If you are one of the many landowners with a scientific breeding permit and you are working with penned deer, it is hard to argue with their striking results.

Obviously, a small percentage of spike-antlered yearling bucks have the capacity to develop into trophy bucks at maturity. However, the majority of spikes will never develop trophy-sized antlers, so the best advice is to not allow these bucks to breed in your deer pens. In fact, you may want to duplicate the treatment used in the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department’s study and nutritionally stress your buck fawn offspring to determine which bucks should be selected as breed sires. It is also likely that the Mississippi State University study results are less applicable to south Texas because the late breeding that is common in Mississippi occurs less frequently in south Texas.

The bottom line however, is that the question of whether or not to shoot spikes in a wild or free-ranging situation still remains unanswered. Unfortunately, all of the above studies have one big disadvantage - they were all conducted with penned deer. Although penned deer studies have taught researchers volumes of information about deer, landowners and managers should be very cautious when trying to apply these results to wild, free-ranging deer herds.

Penned studies are not very applicable in the real world for the very reasons that a penned study design is chosen. In the pen, nutrition is controlled and who breeds who is also closely controlled. In the wild, managers have less influence over nutrition and even less influence over who breeds who. In addition, does obviously cannot be selectively removed based on their breeding history.

Another problem with penned studies relates to the effects of dominance on antler development. Although research is lacking, it has been suggested that dominant bucks, especially in penned situations, suppress antler growth in subordinate bucks. If a subordinate buck in a pen never reaches a dominant position, how do you know what his true genetic potential was? John Ozoga completed some interesting studies on the effects of density stress on deer in Michigan. He found that even when nutrition wasunlimited, antler sizes and fawn crops decreased once deer densities passed a certain threshold because of the effects of dominance and density stress.

The only way to finally settle the spike debate is to conduct similar research with deer in the wild. Part II in this three-part series will examine results of research conducted on deer in the wild and will highlight early results of ongoing research geared toward settling this age-old debate.

Spikes, The Debate Continues .... Part 2
by Mickey W. Hellickson, Ph. D. - updated September, 2009

In Part I of this series, I defined what a spike buck was and I explained what the ongoing debate is about. I also summarized the theories behind each of the two camps related to the question of whether or not to shoot spikes. Lastly, I examined the results of the various penned studies that have been completed in an effort to settle this debate.

Unfortunately, these studies have not addressed the question of whether or not to shoot spikes in a wild or free-ranging situation because of the inherent biases associated with studying penned deer. In penned situations, deer are forced to live in very close quarters with each other. The social interactions, density stress, and influences of dominance caused by this very unnatural situation may have large impacts on antler growth that may have affected the outcomes of these penned studies.

Another problem with past penned deer studies is that most of the selection abilities available with a penned deer herd are not possible with wild herds. Many penned studies involved some form of selection that was applied to the doe segment of the deer herd. In some situations, does were selectively removed if they had produced spike-antlered offspring, or if they were siblings to spikes. Obviously, in the wild, the breeding history of a doe is unknown, so this same selection cannot be applied in the field with wild deer herds.

Researchers conducting penned studies also often determined which bucks would get the chance to breed. Specific bucks would often be selected for their superior antler traits and then isolated in a pen with does that were also selected based on their breeding history. Obviously, in the wild this same control over who breeds who cannot be duplicated. Although inferior bucks can be intensively culled and removed from a wild deer herd, there is no way to insure that the largest of the remaining bucks do the breeding.

Lastly, in the wild, nutritional levels are also obviously much more difficult to control. Although an advantage of penned studies is that the effects of nutrition can be controlled, in the wild, this same control is not possible. Where nutritional levels are highly variable, such as is the case in south Texas, the effects of nutrition on antler size may swamp all evidence of any genetic effects.

It seems the only way to finally settle the spike debate is to conduct similar research with deer in the wild. Part II in this three-part series examines the results of research conducted on deer in the wild.

Percentage Of Spikes Is Highly Variable

During a 10-year period (1985-94) we randomly captured 491 wild bucks on a large, private ranch in south Texas. Sixty-one of these 491 bucks were yearlings. Twenty-four of these 61 yearlings were spikes (39%) indicating that, on average, over one-third of the yearling buck population in south Texas will be spike-antlered in any given year.

We have also found a huge amount of variability from one year to the next in the percentage of yearling bucks with spiked antlers in our deer captures. In 1985, none of the yearling bucks that we captured had spiked antlers, but in 1988, 50% were spikes. In 1991, only 17% of the yearling bucks were spikes, but the very next year in 1992, 90% of the yearlings were spikes. Obviously, with this much variability in the incidence of spikes, genetics is not the only factor influencing this trait - rainfall and nutrition play a very large role as well.

In 1992, when spikes made up 90% (9 out of 10) of the yearling bucks that we captured, it would have been disastrous to harvest all of these spikes because you would have removed 90% of your yearling age class! If you were to kill 90% of the yearling age class, you might as well sell the ranch or move to another lease because you will likely not have any mature bucks to hunt four to five years later.

High Natural Mortality

Is killing all spikes that bad, even if it represents an average of 40% of the bucks in that age class during any given year? It very well could be because so far we have only been talking about spikes that are killed by hunters. What about yearling bucks that die of natural causes?

During 1992-95, we captured and radio-collared 130 bucks. Of these 130 bucks, 20 were yearlings. We radio-tracked these bucks continuously after their capture to determine their survival rates outside of the hunting season.

None of these 20 yearlings were killed by hunters. One buck died within one month of being captured and was excluded because the capture itself may have caused its death. A second buck had its radio transmitter fail so that we could not track its survival. This buck was also excluded. An average of 39% (7 out of 18) of the remaining 18 yearling bucks died of natural causes within one year!

Although it is still not clear what affect hunting has on deer survival rates, we can at least assume that hunting is partially additive. This means that a portion of the spike harvest each year will be added to the 39% natural mortality rate. If hunting were totally additive than you may be in danger of losing an average of 80% of your yearling bucks each year by intensively culling spikes!

Older Bucks Die Too

Also, so far we still have not taken into account the natural mortality rates of older-aged bucks. Our research indicates that an average of 17% of 2.5-year-old bucks die each year of natural causes. Twenty percent of 3.5-year-old bucks die and 5% of 4.5-year-old bucks die of natural causes also.

What do all of these different percentages mean? Let's start with a population of 100, one-year-old bucks and look at their survival based on natural mortality alone. Only 61 of these bucks will survive to age two. Only 50 will survive to age three. Only 40 will survive to age four. And only 38 of the original 100 bucks will survive to age five without any bucks being removed by hunting.

On average then, 62% of all yearling bucks will die of natural causes before they reach maturity at age five! So, without killing even one spike buck, 62% of those yearling bucks will still die of natural causes before they reach five years of age. Why would anyone want to kill a yearling buck if they are interested in allowing the maximum number of bucks to reach the trophy age classes of five years old and older?

When Does Antler Size Peak?

We have very conclusive data when it comes to knowing when antler size peaks for bucks in south Texas. We have now randomly live-captured over 2,000 bucks from the wilds of south Texas. We have aged all of these bucks by tooth wear and measured all of the racks according to Boone and Crockett Club guidelines. On average, antler size and gross B&C score does not reach its maximum until a buck is at least six-and-a-half years old. In fact, many bucks do not peak in antler size until they are seven-and-a-half years old. Many of the body characteristics we have measured during past buck captures have also indicated that several body measurements do not peak until these same ages.

Clearly then, if you wish to allow bucks the opportunity to reach their full antler growth potential, they need to be allowed to live until the six-and-a-half and seven-and-a-half age classes. However, as noted above, the majority of bucks will die of natural causes before reaching these ages. Interestingly, the average gross B&C score of a six-and-a-half year old buck in south Texas is only 130 inches.

Is Rainfall (And Nutrition) More Important Than Genetics?

Rainfall may have more to do with the incidence of spikes than genetics. In south Texas rainfall, more than any other factor, determines antler size. Stuart Stedman, a private rancher and a very knowledgeable deer hunter, has discovered that gross Boone and Crockett Club (B&C) scores of mature bucks are very strongly correlated with the amount of rainfall during the month of April. He has compared gross B&C scores of hundreds of live-captured, wild bucks to the amount of rainfall at various times of the year. He found that as rainfall during the month of April increased, so did antler size.

In another study illuminating the importance of rainfall, Dr. David Hewitt of Texas A&M University-Kingsville, modeled the influences of rainfall on trophy buck production in south Texas. He found that April rainfall had an even greater influence on the number of trophy bucks in any given year than did fawn production and survival 6-10 years previous.

Yet another indicator that nutrition is more important than genetics is the amazingly low incidence of spikes in yearling bucks killed in the Midwest. I am originally from Iowa. I have hunted deer in the Midwest for the past 25 years and although I have seen hundreds of dead yearling bucks, I have neverseen a dead spike buck in Iowa. The Midwest is the corn and soybean capital of the U.S. Deer in these states live year around (virtually) in a huge food plot. Obviously, nutrition can override any negative effect that genetics may have on antler growth.

The Latest Research On Wild Bucks

Clearly, caution should be used when determining whether or not to shoot spikes because of the potentially large impacts this may have on the number of mature bucks in future years. However, the above research does not specifically address whether spikes are inferior to fork-antlered yearling bucks in the wild.

In order to get at this very pertinent question, Dr. Fred Bryant, Dr. David Hewitt, and I initiated the South Texas Buck Capture Project in 1998. This long-term, large-scale project involves the helicopter-net gun capture of 60-75 bucks and fawns annually on each of six different ranches. Since 1998, we have randomly captured anywhere from 360 to 450 wild bucks and fawns each year!

During the initial year of the project, we targeted yearling bucks in order to have a large sample size of known-aged bucks on these ranches during later years. This design has allowed us to recapture a large number of these same yearling bucks at older ages. More importantly, these recapture data have allowed us to directly compare spike-antlered yearling bucks to fork-antlered yearling bucks at older ages.

After the first three years of the project, 50 yearling bucks (27 spikes and 23 fork antlered) had been recaptured at two-and-a-half years of age. Statistical analysis indicated that fork-antlered yearling bucks had significantly wider inside spreads, larger basal circumferences, longer main beams, more antler points, and higher gross B&C scores than spike-antlered yearling bucks. In fact, in nearly every category we measured, the fork-antlered yearling bucks were significantly larger than the spike-antlered yearlings. Gross B&C scores for the spike pool averaged 71 inches compared to an average of 85 inches for the fork-antlered pool.

An additional 25 yearling bucks (18 spikes and 7 fork antlered) have been recaptured at three-and-a-half years of age. Statistical analysis indicated that fork-antlered yearlings had significantly higher gross B&C scores and more antler points than the spike-antlered yearlings at this age. Gross B&C scores for the spike pool averaged 97 inches compared to an average of 128 inches for the fork-antlered pool.

Due to the small sample size however, the other characteristics we measured were not significantly different. At these relatively small sample sizes, differences between ranches also affected the outcome of the comparisons. However, by the conclusion of the study, we expect to have sufficient sample sizes to identify any true differences between the two classes of yearling bucks at all age classes from two-and-a-half through five-and-a-half years of age.

Although these results are interesting and the early indication is that spikes are in fact inferior to fork-antlered yearling bucks, we still do not yet have an answer to the age-old question because these spikes may still ‘catch-up’ to the fork-antlered bucks by maturity. Therefore, the study will be continued for several more years to allow these same bucks time to reach maturity. In the very near future, we will finally know if spikes are inferior to fork-antlered yearling bucks in the wild.

In Part III of this three-part series, I will attempt to summarize all of this research into harvest recommendations that you can use on your property.

Spikes! The Debate Continues ... Part 3
Mickey W. Hellickson, Ph.D.

In Part I of this series I defined what a spike buck was and I explained what the ongoing debate is about. I also summarized the theories behind each of the two camps related to the question of whether or not to shoot spikes. Lastly, I examined the results of the various penned studies that have been completed in an effort to settle this debate.

In Part II of this series, I examined the results of several studies that have been completed during recent years on wild bucks in south Texas. It was important to discuss these additional studies because of the inherent biases associated with penned deer studies. Finally, in the third and final installment of this series, I will attempt to summarize all of this research into harvest recommendations that you can use on your property.

Deer Management Goals

Of course, the whole debate about whether or not to shoot spike bucks all depends on your specific deer management goals. If antler size is not important and your goal is to maximize the harvest of bucks of any age on your property, then you should shoot spikes. The reason you should shoot spikes is because a certain percentage of the spikes you don’t shoot will die of natural causes anyway, thereby reducing the pool of bucks you can potentially harvest. The only way to maximize the buck harvest under this scenario is to shoot every buck you encounter when it is encountered. Otherwise, some of those passed-up bucks will die of natural causes and won’t be available for harvest.

If your goal is to manage for maximum numbers of bucks two-and-a-half years old and older, then you should not shoot any spikes, even if they are later found to be genetically inferior. Many landowners and managers in the southeastern U.S., who are managing under Quality Deer Management guidelines fit into this category. In this situation, every spike-antlered yearling buck that you harvest results in one less buck that has the potential to make it to the pool of bucks two-and-a-half years old and older. Obviously, you cannot maximize the pool of two-and-a-half year-old bucks by shooting bucks before they reach this age.

If your goal is to manage for maximum numbers of mature bucks that are five-and-a-half years old and older, then you should not shoot any spikes as well. Under this scenario, a surprisingly low number of bucks will make it to maturity without any hunting at all. In fact, as was explained in Part II, an average of 62% of yearling bucks will die of natural, non-hunting-related causes by age five-and-a-half. Once again, any spike-antlered buck that you harvest results in one less buck that has the potential to make it to this magical age.

If you are involved in a commercial hunting operation and your goal is to maximize the economic return from your deer herd, then you should not shoot any spikes. No matter where you are in the U.S., a middle-aged or mature buck is always going to be worth more to the hunter and the landowner than a spike-antlered yearling buck. In fact, it’s doubtful you would be able to find many hunters willing to pay anything for a commercial hunt so that they could harvest a spike.

As explained in Part II, every single one of the yearling spikes that you let live to age two-and-a-half will develop a fork-antlered rack and will therefore be more valuable. Once again, after capturing over 2,000 wild bucks in south Texas, we have yet to capture a buck two-and-a-half years old or older with only two antler points. In the wilds of south Texas, spikes always
develop into fork-antlered bucks at older ages. In fact, spikes gross-score an average of about 70 inches at two-and-a-half years of age and around 100 inches at three-and-a-half years of age. By maturity, the majority of these spikes will develop into 120 to 140-class bucks. Bucks in this category are now much more valuable than either spikes or middle-aged bucks.

In fact, after measuring the antlers of over 2,000 wild bucks, we have determined that the average gross B&C score of a mature buck in south Texas is 130 inches. Which buck would you rather shoot and, which buck would you rather give your son or a guest the opportunity to shoot? I do not know anyone who would rather shoot a yearling spike when given the choice to shoot a mature, 130-class, eight point!

If your goal is to maximize antler size, while also maximizing economic return, then you still should not shoot spikes. Under this management scenario, where the adult sex ratios are balanced and the age structure in the buck portion of the herd is also balanced, very few young bucks will have the opportunity to breed does. Thus, whether they are inferior or not, they really don't have a chance to pass on their genes until they move up the pecking order as they mature.

Recent research has shed new light on the question of ‘who is breeding who’ and reinforces the idea that young bucks do very little breeding. Randy DeYoung, a Ph.D. candidate at Mississippi State University, used DNA collected from 435 deer to determine the paternity (e.g., sire) for 109 fawns. All of this DNA was collected from deer within a 3,200-acre fenced property in Oklahoma that is managed under Quality Deer Management guidelines. Under this management scheme, the goal is to reduce the harvest of young bucks in order to increase the number of middle-aged bucks in the population.

Randy discovered that bucks three-and-a-half years old or older sired a disproportionate number of fawns (Table 1). These older-aged bucks sired 64% of the offspring even though they only made-up 30% of the buck population. He also found that the minimum lifetime reproductive success was very low for the majority of successful bucks. The median number of fawns sired by any buck was one and the median age at first reproductive success was two-and-a-half years of age. The total number of fawns sired by individual bucks in his study ranged from one to nine, while one buck managed to sire at least six fawns in a single year. A minimum of 47 different bucks successfully bred and produced offspring. Finally, Randy reported that less than 20% of bucks achieved reproductive success in any single year.

Remember that this property was managed under Quality Deer Management guidelines. It is likely that even fewer young bucks would have the opportunity to breed on properties managed under trophy management guidelines, where upwards of 45% of the buck population may be mature and five-and-a-half years old or older.

Obviously, if increasing economic return is also a goal, landowners should not harvest spikes because these same bucks will be worth a lot more money at an older age when they are fork antlered. If spikes are not going to negatively impact the genetics of the deer herd because they are unlikely to successfully breed, then they should be allowed to live until they reach an age where hunters are interested in paying for the opportunity to harvest them.

Things become more clouded however, if your goal is simply to maximize antler size. Under this management goal, the recommendation is more dependent on economics and property size as it relates to the ‘corral continuum.’

The ‘Corral Continuum’

I first learned of the ‘corral continuum’ concept from Stuart Stedman, a deer fanatic and a private rancher in south Texas. He used the concept to describe how deer management intensity varies across a continuum. At the left-end of the continuum, you find very large, low-fenced ranches where intensive deer management is cost prohibitive for all but the very wealthiest of landowners. At the opposite end of the continuum, on the far right, you find the very small acreage, high-fenced, deer-pen situations. Where your property sits on this continuum determines whether or not you should shoot spikes.

If your property sits at the left end of this continuum, you should not harvest spikes. On large, low-fenced ranches it would be extremely difficult to ever harvest enough spikes to insure that the very best bucks within the yearling age class did the majority of the breeding. In the Kerr Wildlife Management Area study, they hand selected the best 15-30% of the yearling bucks produced each year as breed sires. To duplicate this in the wild, 70-85% of your yearling bucks would have to be harvested each year to insure that they did not breed. This large of a yearling buck harvest is unrealistic on very large properties.

The 825,000-acre King Ranch is an extreme example of a property that sits at the left end of this continuum. In the case of the King Ranch, where deer densities average one deer per 30 acres by raw count (actual numbers are likely three times this amount), adult sex ratios average about two does per buck, and fall fawn crops average around 30 fawns per 100 does, there are an estimated 7,500 to 10,000 yearling bucks on the ranch in any given year. As we learned in Part II, an average of 40% of these yearling bucks will be spike-antlered. Therefore, hunters would have to harvest somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000 to 4,000 spikes each year. However, this level of harvest still would not insure that the best 15-30% of the yearling age class did the breeding, an additional 2,500-5,000 yearling bucks would also need to be harvested each year to accomplish this!

On large, low-fenced properties, it is also impossible to selectively remove inferior does. In the Kerr Wildlife Management Area study, the best yearling bucks were isolated in individual pens with 8-16 does. Adult females that had produced spike-antlered offspring, or were a sibling to a spike, were selectively removed. How is this same selection from the doe segment of the herd possible in the wild, especially on large properties?

One option for selecting inferior does on smaller properties is to selectively harvest older-aged does because these are the does that are least likely to have been produced from the ‘superior’ bucks that are left in the population to do the breeding. Although overly mature does may be recognizable, it would be extremely difficult to accurately harvest a sufficient number of older-aged does to make an impact.

As mentioned, small-acreage, high-fenced ranches sit at the opposite end of this continuum. Ranches under this scenario, much more closely match the situation at the Kerr Wildlife Management Area deer pens, where they have shown conclusively that it is advantageous to cull spikes. In these situations, where nutrition and who breeds who can be more easily controlled, the recommendation is to shoot spikes. Obviously, the smaller the property, the more control the landowner has over nutrition and which deer do the breeding. As you move away from the deer pen situation, or corral however, the culling of spikes becomes less and less likely to be beneficial.

Hopefully, this three-part series has shed new light on the spike buck controversy. Obviously, the question of whether or not to shoot bucks varies according to management goals, economics, and property size. Also, the question of whether or not spikes in the wild are inferior is still unanswered. In the future, after our South Texas Buck Capture Project has been completed, even fewer questions will remain when it comes to making the decision of whether or not to shoot spikes.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum