Texas Hunting Forum

ethics question

Posted By: shark 25-06

ethics question - 11/17/10 04:51 AM

is it ok to shoot a deer that is bedded down durring the day?

Posted By: Justin T

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 04:54 AM

Is it okay to shoot a deer eating corn? Chasing a doe? Drinking water? Walking down a known trail?

I think there is nothing wrong with it. Fire at will.

Posted By: Curly

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 04:56 AM

Originally Posted By: pimpshark

That's actually a good question....a buddy of mine saw a huge doe bedded down one afternoon and could not bring himself to shoot it....is it any less ethical than shooting a buck that's chasing a doe trying to breed, or to shoot any deer that's eating under a feeder? As long as it's legal, it should totally be up to the hunter's discretion on whether or not it's ethical to take. In other words, could that hunter live with the decision?

Posted By: notamtchance

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 04:56 AM

x2

Posted By: shark 25-06

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 05:12 AM

but to shoot a deer that is asleep just seems kind of unsportsman-like. i hardly shoot deer from a stand. ill feed an area for a few days then hunker down by a tree in the brush. i have been foiled a few times because of it. dont think that i am against shooting from a stand at deer under a feeder, i just havnt done it much.

Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 05:27 AM

It's all in a personal ethical code. I personally wouldn't do it but I also don't shoot does that have their fawns with them. Some stuff like that I just don't feel right doing but that's just me.

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 12:26 PM

Confusious say deer sleeping is deer not running. Shoot.

I don't think it makes one iota of difference. The end result will be the same. The deer will be just as dead whether he's standing or sleeping.

Posted By: MELackey

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 01:06 PM

do deer ever actually sleep?

Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 01:17 PM

While laying down I would not shoot. I'd probably make just a little noise and wait until it stands. I know there is no difference really but, that's just my personal view.

Posted By: rkcurbow

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 01:48 PM

SHOOT........

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 01:52 PM

Being that it ain't easy to sneak up on a bedded deer, I don't see it as unethical from a "free chase" perspective.

Posted By: kry226

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 01:56 PM

The only thing unethical about it is not having good access to a vital area of the deer and shooting anyway. If you have a good, quick killing shot, shoot the sucker.

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226
The only thing unethical about it is not having good access to a vital area of the deer and shooting anyway.

Good point. Chance shots are NEVER ethical.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 02:31 PM

Quote:
I personally wouldn't do it but I also don't shoot does that have their fawns with them.

Have their faws with them as in right next to them or have a fawn? If you wont shoot a doe that has a fawn, you will only be shooting yearlings and ones too old to breed, and we dont see too many of those we have one that is ancient, getting skinny and still has a fawn every year.

To the OP I say shoot away. Oh and trwoing corn for a few days and then hunting it works just like a blind and feeder to me, althou better. Deer at feeders get acustomed to the blind being there. I had an old blind at my last lease, built a new one but left the old one up. If you would make noise in the new blind the deer would still look at the old one, only worked for about a season though.

Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 02:33 PM

I would shoot her in the melon and post her headless pics here on the forum. grin bolt

stir

Posted By: cameron00

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 02:45 PM

My buddy and I watched 3 enormous bucks sprint by during the rut one year and then actually walked up on a big bruiser laying under a giant oak. He wasn't asleep - his head was upright and he was looking around. He looked beautiful there - one with nature and completely at peace and unaware of our existence. It was tough, but I feel like we did the "right" thing.

And turned him into sausage and hung his giant rack on the wall. Shoot away if you've got a good shot.

Posted By: Three Shot

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
My buddy and I watched 3 enormous bucks sprint by during the rut one year and then actually walked up on a big bruiser laying under a giant oak. He wasn't asleep - his head was upright and he was looking around. He looked beautiful there - one with nature and completely at peace and unaware of our existence. It was tough, but I feel like we did the "right" thing.

And turned him into sausage and hung his giant rack on the wall. Shoot away if you've got a good shot.

rofl

Posted By: postoak

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 03:26 PM

What Dan said:

1) Sneaking up on a bedded deer is usually very difficult and therefore very sporting

2) Unethical if you can't get a good shot

I would probably make a noise to get the deer to raise its head, or else just plan on a long wait for it to stand up.

If deer are like horses, then they need some deep sleep each day, lying down. They also can sleep lightly standing up.

Posted By: WEBBYODER

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 04:57 PM

We all only have 5 tags. as long as they are filled legally, I don't see what the problem is.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 05:05 PM

SHOOT IT IN THE FACE!!!!

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: MELackey
do deer ever actually sleep?
No. But if you ever get to tranquilize one, they're some snoring fools. I wish I had shot video, it was a hoot!

Posted By: Longhunter

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: pimpshark

Yes sir!

Posted By: Hoss 1962

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 06:38 PM

Wow! I am surprised/ shocked at some of the comments on this post. What ever happened to the thrill of the hunt? Would you hit a guy with his back turned? How bout getting whacked in the head with a 2x4 while your sleeping? At least wait till he stands. It's post like some of these that give hunters a bad name. I can see this going over real well at home..."Yeah son, I popped him at 200 yds. while he was sleeping." Just my $.02

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Hoss 1962
Wow! I am surprised/ shocked at some of the comments on this post. What ever happened to the thrill of the hunt? Would you hit a guy with his back turned? How bout getting whacked in the head with a 2x4 while your sleeping? At least wait till he stands. It's post like some of these that give hunters a bad name. I can see this going over real well at home..."Yeah son, I popped him at 200 yds. while he was sleeping." Just my $.02

Personaly I dont see the problem with it. Its not like when they are awake you chase them down and bite them on the neck. If you sneak in and are able to take the shot go for it. This doesnt even touch on the topic of ethics to me. I would do it in a heart beat.

Posted By: Tuoms

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 07:01 PM

X2...

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Being that it ain't easy to sneak up on a bedded deer, I don't see it as unethical from a "free chase" perspective.

X2 If you are good enough to sneak up on a bedded deer then I would say yes it is ethical to take the shot if it is a good shot. I have seen deer sleep before but from what I have been told they rarely if ever do. They looked like they were dead but did get up and haul butt when I spooked them.

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 07:06 PM

Would you hit a guy with his back turned?

All the time, why?

Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Quote:
I personally wouldn't do it but I also don't shoot does that have their fawns with them.

Have their faws with them as in right next to them or have a fawn? If you wont shoot a doe that has a fawn, you will only be shooting yearlings and ones too old to breed, and we dont see too many of those we have one that is ancient, getting skinny and still has a fawn every year.

I mean if the fawn is with it at the time. I had a mature doe come in this weekend but had two yearling with her so I didn't shoot. There are plenty of other mature does that don't have fawns with them to shoot.

Posted By: Kcowboy

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
What Dan said:

1) Sneaking up on a bedded deer is usually very difficult and therefore very sporting

2) Unethical if you can't get a good shot

I would probably make a noise to get the deer to raise its head, or else just plan on a long wait for it to stand up.

If deer are like horses, then they need some deep sleep each day, lying down. They also can sleep lightly standing up.

x2

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 08:17 PM

Uhhhhh, seriously? Do you announce your presence every time you go deer hunting, or are you quiet so the deer doesn't hear you? SERIOUSLY?!

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 08:24 PM

I bet he usually says, yeah son, I shot him with my .270 at 200 yards while he had his head down eating corn that my tailgate feeder threw out there 2 hours before...

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 08:24 PM

BTW, nothing wrong with guns or tailgate feeders...I use both.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Justin T

Uhhhhh, seriously? Do you announce your presence every time you go deer hunting, or are you quiet so the deer doesn't hear you? SERIOUSLY?!

yes and he uses a loin cloth and only very primative spears..LMAO

I'm not a sportmans for the record and I not in to primative stuff.. i just perfer corning a road and playing sniper vs hostage/bad guy while filling MLD doe tags via called head shots and I useually don't wear camo either.

Posted By: catchin'

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: z71dustin
Quote:

I mean if the fawn is with it at the time. I had a mature doe come in this weekend but had two yearling with her so I didn't shoot. There are plenty of other mature does that don't have fawns with them to shoot.

I asked this question earlier in the year and got some interesting replies. I've changed my my mind and will shoot a doe with a fawn.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...ion#Post1164619

Posted By: Icouldbeyou

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I'm not a sportmans for the record and I not in to primative stuff.. i just perfer corning a road and playing sniper vs hostage/bad guy while filling MLD doe tags via called head shots and I useually don't wear camo either.

I dont see much difference in shooting a deer that is eating and shooting one that is bedded down, once the crosshairs are put on the deer, there really isnt much chance for it either way. On the "ethics scale", baiting to me seems to get closer to being unethical than the situation of shooting a bedded down deer. There are even some states that dont allow hunters to bait for deer, and I don't think any states have outlawed shooting sleeping deer (I'm not saying that I think using bait is unethical, just seems more to the unethical side than the bedded down deer scenario. I hunt over a feeder that throws corn. Just want to make that clear)

Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: rkcurbow
SHOOT........
up

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Icouldbeyou
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I dont see much difference in shooting a deer that is eating and shooting one that is bedded down, once the crosshairs are put on the deer, there really isnt much chance for it either way. On the "ethics scale", baiting to me seems to get closer to being unethical than the situation of shooting a bedded down deer. There are even some states that dont allow hunters to bait for deer, and I don't think any states have outlawed shooting sleeping deer (I'm not saying that I think using bait is unethical, just seems more to the unethical side than the bedded down deer scenario. I hunt over a feeder that throws corn. Just want to make that clear)

to me any law against baiting is stupid..makes no sense... You can hunt pesimmon trees with fruit, alfafa, corn, soybean, clover ect but can't put corn on the ground..LMAO makes no sense

Posted By: MaggieMTx

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 09:04 PM

i'm out for meat. i see a big ole doe down snoozing, i'm taking here. might just make her stand & pop her but still, i'll pop one.

Posted By: swmays

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 09:04 PM

Interesting question. I shot a sow that was snoring away and felt zero remorse. She hung out at my feeder for about to weeks and was well fed. I felt her time had come. However, I don't shoot ducks sitting on the water. Deer sleeping I don't know. You guys have me all conflicted now. 'preciate it.

Posted By: MaggieMTx

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 09:23 PM

Pigs are another story, NO mercy whatsoever on them/for them rifleThey die in any/all ways possible...asleep or on the run.

Re: ethics question - 11/17/10 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: swmays
Interesting question. I shot a sow that was snoring away and felt zero remorse. She hung out at my feeder for about to weeks and was well fed. I felt her time had come. However, I don't shoot ducks sitting on the water. Deer sleeping I don't know. You guys have me all conflicted now. 'preciate it.

Let the first shot spook the ducks off the water

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: ethics question - 11/18/10 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: swmays

Let the first shot spook the ducks off the water

ya, u get three shots lol!

Posted By: Old_School

Re: ethics question - 11/18/10 05:03 AM

Originally Posted By: MaggieMTx
Pigs are another story, NO mercy whatsoever on them/for them rifleThey die in any/all ways possible...asleep or on the run.

X2

Posted By: RockinU

Re: ethics question - 11/18/10 08:09 AM

Seriously...

Posted By: notamtchance

Re: ethics question - 11/18/10 09:09 AM

Originally Posted By: kry226
The only thing unethical about it is not having good access to a vital area of the deer and shooting anyway. If you have a good, quick killing shot, shoot the sucker.

I'll agree with that.

Re: ethics question - 11/18/10 01:31 PM

Unlike deer, pigs sleep soundly. We walked up on 2 of them snoring once (literally), shot 1 in the head, and the other one only sort of woke up in a confused state. At which point we shot it as well.

Re: ethics question - 11/18/10 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Old_School

X2

Agreed. As the case when killing cockroaches, just about anything goes when it comes to killing feral hogs.

Posted By: atvsmasher

Re: ethics question - 11/18/10 03:37 PM

I agree, check this out. Hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ElEesvNRn8

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum