Texas Hunting Forum

Buck fever

Posted By: Gage T.

Buck fever - 11/16/10 07:51 PM

I like the feeling I get when I see a big buck but not when I can't stop shaking an make shot an it em any advice on to relax when that happens

Posted By: atascosa_red

Re: Buck fever - 11/16/10 08:07 PM

Quit looking at the antlers and concentrate on where you are aiming. Act like it is a doe that you are getting ready to pop. I usually start shaking after the shot!!

Posted By: Bobby_G

Re: Buck fever - 11/16/10 08:12 PM

I shake a bit when I see the one I want to take...then...I take a couple of deep breaths with slow exhales...then I take the shot...and after that I'm shakin like a queer at a weinee roast

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Buck fever - 11/16/10 08:14 PM

i havent had buck fever in a while... then i had a decent one pop up this weekend... got all kinds of nervous.... i ended up not shooting it cuz it wasnt as big as i first thought, but i just try to sit back and relax before i shoot. That and when im shooting, i block everything out and squeeze the trigger...

Posted By: Texas Heat

Re: Buck fever - 11/16/10 08:23 PM

I caught a little case of it sunday morning when I shot my buck, all I did was after deciding he was a shooter I looked away for a couple seconds, got my breathing under control and put the crosshairs where I wanted them and squeezed the trigger

Re: Buck fever - 11/16/10 08:27 PM

Thanks for the advice

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Buck fever - 11/16/10 08:30 PM

A couple of shots of redeye followed up by a beer chaser.

Of course that can be a little rough at 7:00 AM... bolt

Re: Buck fever - 11/16/10 08:35 PM

Yup lol I don't wna miss the deer cuz I'm kinda intoxicated lol

Posted By: wigeon

Re: Buck fever - 11/16/10 08:40 PM

Breath and concentrate on breathing lol.

Posted By: B_Bop77

Re: Buck fever - 11/16/10 08:46 PM

Practice aiming on every deer you see, work on breathing, when you get it just right whisper bang. That's what I do, may seem dumb, but it works.

Posted By: BuckandBassRanch

Re: Buck fever - 11/16/10 08:49 PM

You may never rid yourself of getting excited when a big buck appears, If I did... I would quit hunting!

Here's a little tip and believe me this works with practice!

Run for 2-3 minutes and get your heart rate up. Then, immediatly take aim at a fixed object while trying to calm yourself down. Focus on both your breathing and gun handling actions. Over time, you will learn how to gain better control as you aim.

Good luck!!!

www.buckandbassranch.com

Re: Buck fever - 11/16/10 08:53 PM

I'll try that last one it seems it will help

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Buck fever - 11/16/10 09:22 PM

Mentally prepare yourself before you ever head into the field. You have to tell yourself that you will not allow yourself to get that excited. At the moment of truth you need to remain calm, breath deeply and slowly through your nose, not your mouth. Learn to recognize the symptoms at on-set and then keep them from getting out of control.

Posted By: RockinU

Re: Buck fever - 11/16/10 10:25 PM

Stay away from the antlers...focus and concentrate on where you want to put the shot. Nothing else in your mind but making the shot. Practice it at the range, tune everything else out, and just see the shot. It's the only way I can get around it.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum