Texas Hunting Forum

South Texas Rut

Posted By: DownSouthHunter

South Texas Rut - 11/16/10 06:18 PM

Just wondering if they are chasing in the south?

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/16/10 07:14 PM

Report I just got getting off the phone with a guy hunting in LaSalle county, that hunted there this last weekend, and he says they are seeing a lot of bucks, but no chasing yet.

Down there it's usually about the 15 th of December.

I'm hunting just south of San Antonio and they haven't started yet, but can't be but days away. This time last year they were chasing pretty good, but right now it's pretty slow.

Posted By: stevo413

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/16/10 08:01 PM

Duval Co...Bucks are still hangin together and no chasing whatsoever last weekend.

Posted By: nochance4win

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/16/10 08:12 PM

Spent last week in Bee county and saw no rut action. Saw a few small bucks but they were not chasing.

Posted By: atascosa_red

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/16/10 08:14 PM

Atascosa bucks are still in groups. No signs of chasing but, I did have two sparring with one another on opening weekend!! 10 point and an 8 point. Just testing one another out!!

Posted By: Bobby_G

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/16/10 08:15 PM

McMullen county has bucks still runnin together and no interest in does. I'm a 1/2 of a mile from Duvall county line...

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/16/10 09:27 PM

Opening weekend Jim Hogg Co. the young bucks were still grouped up. Older bucks were few and far between. The few that I saw checked does but showed no signs of rutting yet.

Posted By: CBHunter

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/16/10 10:19 PM

We have a loooong month to go before it really kicks into gear.

Posted By: ggarciatx

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/16/10 11:36 PM

Nothing down at my place in Webb County. Bucks are being more secretive and cautious. Does are walking out in the open more freely. This is more than usual. Did see some good sized Bobcat prints, but cats are off limits for the sake of my daughter. She would never forgive me.

Posted By: southtexascracker

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/17/10 01:10 AM

As has been said, at least another month in the brush country, maybe 5 weeks. What I love about hunting South Texas...we get a long drawn out hunting season, with some of the best hunting in late Dec. and early Jan.

Posted By: DownSouthHunter

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/17/10 04:09 AM

Thanks for all the info especially on Duval. I guess I will just wait till my school semester is out and a make a week long hunt or two.

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/19/10 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Report I just got getting off the phone with a guy hunting in LaSalle county, that hunted there this last weekend, and he says they are seeing a lot of bucks, but no chasing yet.

Down there it's usually about the 15 th of December.

I'm hunting just south of San Antonio and they haven't started yet, but can't be but days away. This time last year they were chasing pretty good, but right now it's pretty slow.

Hunted this morning (Eastern Atascosa county) and like I predicted above that we were just days away from rutting activity, and sure enough this morning I saw five bucks and three were on th prowl while two were in hot pursuit of a doe.

I'll be back out there in the a.m.

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/19/10 03:45 PM

I'm headed down Sun through Wed so I'll let ya know what I see when I get back. I don't anticipate that there will be any rut activity yet though.

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/19/10 05:50 PM

Awesome morning!

Deer were moving really good and saw three good bucks including one that I should have taken.

Small bucks making rubs and chasing does, and the big boys trying to run them off!

Man I love the rut!

Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/20/10 03:40 AM

Just got back from a friend's place in Jim Hogg County - no rut activity to speak of. Bucks still in bachelor groups and showing no interest in does.

Got invited back after Christmas for the rut...can't wait!

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/20/10 01:23 PM

I was hoping we'd have some cooler weather this weekend but it looks fog in the mornings, lows in the 60's and highs in the 80's.

I'm heading down this afternoon and going to stay until Wed. This warm weather and bright moon isn't going to help at all.

Posted By: Texasbdog

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/20/10 02:28 PM

The big boys are starting to bristle up in Dimmit County, not chasing yet but they are starting to get irritated with thier buck buddies. It is just beginning , as in the last 2 days or so.

Posted By: kyle1974

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/20/10 05:13 PM

in mcmullen county they aren't really starting to do anything. a couple of the guys got some incredible fights on video with good mature bucks, but still havne't seen any chasing does yet

Re: South Texas Rut - 11/20/10 06:48 PM

Went out this morning and it was a little foggy and it really warmed up from what it was yesterday.

Yesterday (Friday) the deer were moving like crazy with a slight frost, and all morning the bucks were chasing, and like I said the big boys were chasing off the small bucks, and it was just a great morning with a lot of activity, but then this morning was like someone had flipped the switch off.

Didn't see but four does and one small buck and he wasn't looking for a doe and more interested in my corn on the road.

Full moon and warm temps all week doesn't look good, and bucks will probably restrict their rut activity to the night time and bed down during the day. Oh well!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum