Texas Hunting Forum

Recommendation for binoculars

Posted By: haslethunter

Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 03:49 AM

IF you had $100-$125 to spend. Which binoculars would you buy and where at? I am wanting to upgrade mine before opening morning.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 03:52 AM

Vortex

Posted By: TJB

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 04:04 AM

call me a cheap skate but i have a cheap pair of simmons 10x50's that have worked great for me i have used then with no problems for years.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 04:10 AM

if you plan to put some miles on a pair... it's hard to go cheap on binocs.

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
if you plan to put some miles on a pair... it's hard to go cheap on binocs.

X1000

Posted By: Chafro

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 04:40 AM

Swarovski's. SLC or EL

Cant go wrong

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 05:39 AM

price dont make them better!!!

Posted By: mustafa

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 05:40 AM

Then what does genius?

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 06:09 AM

what works for you man. why do you think someone cant get the same results from a product that costs a whole lot less???
thats the problem, its not about all the high priced stuff, or how much money you spend to look at the animal, its the joy of the hunt and experience!!!!!!!!!!
to may people have forgotten that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 06:30 AM

I bought some Leupold Arcadias that I really like. They only cost a little more than what you have budgeted.

Posted By: wp75169

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 12:24 PM

Just picked up some Leupold Mesa in 8x23. If you look around you can find them for $89. Walmart for $99. First trip out with them yesterday and very pleased so far. It was rainy with 100% cloud cover all day. Time will tell.

Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 12:31 PM

I bought my father in law the Nikon Action binos a few years ago. He's been pleased so far and I think I gave right at $100 3 or 4 years ago.

Posted By: Three Shot

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 12:34 PM

IMO, optics are more important than your rifle or any other gear...you cant judge quality without clarity & focus and you sure as heck cant hit what you cant see at the edges of shooting time or in the shadows. Just to head off the knucklehead, I am assuming the rifle shoots straight and is of appropriate caliber.

Unless you absolutely need new binoculars today, then I would save the money until you can afford higher quality. Buy right and you will have a piece of gear that will last you for years or even decades.

Posted By: Gus

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 12:40 PM

Leupold Yosemite at Academy for $99, great binos for the price.

Posted By: Skip

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 12:47 PM

There are alot of good Bino's out there in your price range. Go to a sporting goods store like Academy or one of the others and check out what they have.

Posted By: TonyLama

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 12:49 PM

Redfield 10x42's just bought a pair and they are the best bino's ive ever owned.

Posted By: Bob H

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 03:00 PM

I've used the Nikon Travelite binocs for years and for the money
they can't be beat. 2 other huntin buddies have the same ones and say the same thing.

Posted By: Justin T

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 03:03 PM

I'm very happy with my Nikon Lookout series binocs. 10x50s.

Posted By: swamp

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 03:04 PM

Nikon r great for the money. I carry them and am very pleased.

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: TJB
why do you think someone cant get the same results from a product that costs a whole lot less???
thats the problem, its not about all the high priced stuff, or how much money you spend to look at the animal, its the joy of the hunt and experience!!!!!!!!!!

the truth is, you just can't get the same results and doing what we are doing right now glassing canyons and aspen from A LONG ways off....my nikon monarchs I brought to try out are lucky I haven't thrown them in the bottom of blue mesa. Boils down to, you can't find the deer or judge it if it isn't standing out in the broad open with flashing neon signs pointing to it, the experience and joy isn't going to be near as great as connecting with the animal of a lifetime. wink

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
why do you think someone cant get the same results from a product that costs a whole lot less???

the truth is, you just can't get the same results and doing what we are doing right now glassing canyons and aspen from A LONG ways off....my nikon monarchs I brought to try out are lucky I haven't thrown them in the bottom of blue mesa. Boils down to, you can't find the deer or judge it if it isn't standing out in the broad open with flashing neon signs pointing to it, the experience and joy isn't going to be near as great as connecting with the animal of a lifetime. wink

Not to mention your eyes and brain will thank you later!!

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 08:46 PM

PS Rifleman your slacking on the big mulie's get back to work!!! grin

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 09:00 PM

found (2) mid180s this morning... but nothing over that 200 mark. We had to run into town and eat with the rest of the crew that rolled in town this morning smile

have about an hour window to see them in the morning and about 30 minutes before dark, it is HOT and that snow needs to hurry up and get here.

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 09:01 PM

up Good luck and be safe out there!

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 09:05 PM

what works for you man. why do you think someone cant get the same results from a product that costs a whole lot less???
to may people have forgotten that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bs

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 09:09 PM

gracias...we got a lead on one from a landowner this morning, so hopefully we can go find him. To keep it topic oriented...bout to head out with the Leicas, swarovski and a "zeiss-like" pair:)

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 09:11 PM

You know that swaro is over priced junk I will pm you my address and you can send it to me to dispose of smile

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: BMD
You know that swaro is over priced junk I will pm you my address and you can send it to me to dispose of smile

Ya, if he was using the vortex razor he would be able to take a none blury 800 yard pic grin

to the OP...nobody is saying you can't kill deer with out high end optics, but high end optics or even middle grade optics make life much easier on your eyes when using them for extended viewing or even in less then par eviorments

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 09:16 PM

lol...na, your top of the line zeiss, swaro and Leica are all going to be about the same....one thing for sure though...you don't skimp on the tripods for the swaro spotters... those heavy jokers will make one get loose in a hurry.

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: BMD

Ya, if he was using the vortex razor he would be able to take a none blury 800 yard pic grin

it's the dadgum eye relief on that spotting scope!!! think I figured it out this morning though...works much better if I bring it down from 60x to 20x.

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/04/10 09:19 PM

Exactly but nothing like great optics!

Posted By: Hoss 1962

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/05/10 05:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Gus
Leupold Yosemite at Academy for $99, great binos for the price.

X2 very clear, great light gathering. I did ALOT of looking before I bought mine.

Posted By: Colonel Angus

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/07/10 12:42 AM

A really good pair of Bino's are indispensable and will last for years if taken care of and cleaned correctly, if not by cheap and buy often.

Until i was able to buy my Swaro's 10x EL's i had Leu's, Nikon Steiner Predators etc. the mid level glass and was nearly comparable to the Swar's out to 100 - 200 max. Clear, sharp comparable but no where near the same image quality. With the Swar's I can sit on a ridge and count eye guards and kickers at 500 yds. Easy, Clear Sharp perfect images all afternoon. Everybody in the 5 years i've had 'em, not a single person has ever compared their X-Brand glass to my bino's and not said WOW and agreed they're superior. I will loan you my Lab before ya get to use my Bino's. With all that being said, check www.sierratradingpost.com they have some good sells in your price range. And if you ever have the chance to look thru Swar's do it.
d

Posted By: Colonel Angus

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/07/10 12:47 AM

One other thing, in 5 years my Swar's have almost doubled in price, i can get 500.00 more used than i paid new in 2005.

That's impossible to do with any others in the mid price range.

d

Posted By: Cornspreader

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/07/10 04:00 AM

Alpen Apex are some really nice binoculars in the 250-300 dollar range. I have a few pairs and I rate them higher than my steiners. Very good glass and hard to beat for the money.

Posted By: huntwest

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/07/10 02:28 PM

Bushnell Trophy XLT binos. Best I have ever seen for under 200.00. I think they have a big rebate on them now also. If you want to go a little more get thye Bushnell Legend Ultra HD binos. I would put them up against about any bino out there and they are only about 280.00.

Posted By: Chafro

Re: Recommendation for binoculars - 11/07/10 04:57 PM

In optics you get what you pay.

If you spend alot of time glassing a 1k plus bino is one of the best investments you will ever make.

It took me time until a friend game me his swaros for one day, my leupolds have been hanging in the closet ever since.

Good hunting!!!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum