Texas Hunting Forum

Wind farms and deer hunting

Posted By: rtp

Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 12:35 PM

Was wondering if any of yall are hunting on land that has the big wind turbines on it? and if so how if any did it affect the deer hunting?

Posted By: bulltide

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 01:41 PM

We are northwest of San Angelo in Water Valley. The landowner says that they will be coming soon, but there is no real timetable. The general concensous is that the deer will get used to them in time, but the commotion that the building process will cause is going to force the deer away for a period of time. I cannot see how everything will be the same after the turbines come in.

Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 01:51 PM

My lease is bordered on two side by windmills. I hunt close enough to one that it keeps me from taking my afternoon nap in my blind on a windy day. The year they were being built was the best year on our lease, as the deer moved to our place during the construction period. Since then they have migrated back. But the wildlife have adjusted to the sound.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 01:58 PM

I doubt it will affect you at all. The deer will for sure get used to it over time and not even know they are there. We had a lease with a blind on a Hi-line sendero (those power lines make alot of noise) and the deer never cared. I dont even think the construction will bother them too bad, maybe for the first couple of days, but not much. Got a couple buddies that are in the oil business and they say you can see deer all the time on sites with new and active drilling rigs.

matt

Posted By: JJHunts

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 02:18 PM

I have hunted several ranches around Nolan County with wind turbines.. It will not hurt your hunting the deer get used to all the racket from the turbine and the crews.

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 02:20 PM

Thanks guys, Im hoping someone from the Sweetwater area chimes in or possibly down around Corpus that has had the actual experience of living through the whole ordeal.

Posted By: huntincoach

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 02:43 PM

We hunt next to squeaky pumpjacks all the time. The deer don't mind as long as the pumpjacks don't get up and move.

Posted By: JJHunts

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 03:30 PM

Nolan County is the Sweetwater area!

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: huntincoach
We hunt next to squeaky pumpjacks all the time. The deer don't mind as long as the pumpjacks don't get up and move.

I am more wondering about the construction process and because they are obnoxiously big does it bother the deer later.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 04:54 PM

I think when they clear cut the land below them pushes deer away from them. If you take all the cover away they have no where to hide.

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I think when they clear cut the land below them pushes deer away from them. If you take all the cover away they have no where to hide.

Do you know how big of an area that they clear cut under each wind generator?

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 10:24 PM

Each area was different. The areas had to be be enough to get the blades riding an 18 wheeler in and turn around etc. Im sure the deer will come back, but while its fresh I don't know. We left

Posted By: tk325

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 10:26 PM

Most of the replies have pretty much hit the nail on the head. I worked on a lease that was covered with them. The deer didn't seem to mind at all. They got used to trucks and the dump trucks, all the cranes putting them together, ect. It wasn't nothing to see deer hanging around them during the day. I wouldnt worry about it none.

And it was in the sweetwater area I worked in too, so there ya go.

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 10:30 PM

Thanks for all yalls input. Not sure if this is going to happen to me. I know it wont be in the next 3 years but with a long term lease even a year of disruption is going to have to be considered because of all I put into this place. Maybe my lease will have to be renegotiated for the constuction time period.

Posted By: JCB

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 10:34 PM

We were suppose to get wind mills on our place in Coke county in 2006 but it never happend. We did have a huge wind monitor on our place for the last several years and they just took it down this year. Rumor has it BP bought alot of the wind monitors in that area and I have no idea what the plans are now. My only concern is that depending on how the contracts are drawn up the land owner can lose the hunting rights in the areas the wind mills are put up. I see deer all the time in that big wind mill farm just south of Abilene, but no deer stands. Makes me wonder if hunting is allowed in that area since I hear all the rumors about hunting not being allowed around them.

Posted By: tk325

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 10:36 PM

Same allow it, some dont. I know the lease I was on allowed it.

Re: Wind farms and deer hunting - 11/01/10 10:42 PM

The lease that we left had hunting restrictions around the windmills. This was S of Abilene by Coronados Camp

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum