Texas Hunting Forum

saw a panther

Posted By: 10pointdoe

saw a panther - 10/20/10 03:44 PM

well, I saw a black panther sunday morning between evant and hamilton. I've heard from a neighbor and my uncle that they each have seen one over the years. And yes it was black and yes it was a cat. Panther ?. I'm not sure what a panther is , but what I saw was standing by the treeline at hte edge of a field, about 700 yards away. I was in my truck and I stopped because I was trying to spot deer and thats when I saw it just standing there. It stayed there for a minute and then took off with those lond cat like strides for the brush. No doubt it was a cat and it was black and it was pretty big, about the size of a little calf

Posted By: AGray

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 03:46 PM

popcorn

Posted By: Gunslinger

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 03:47 PM

Posted By: BillingtonRanchTaxidermy

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 03:56 PM

By a tree line at 700 yards everything looks black. I have no doubt you saw a cougar as we have them in this area, but I highly doubt it was black. Shadows can really play a trick on the eyes especially at that distance. Just saying.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: BillingtonRanchTaxidermy
By a tree line at 700 yards everything looks black. I have no doubt you saw a cougar as we have them in this area, but I highly doubt it was black. Shadows can really play a trick on the eyes especially at that distance. Just saying.

yep

Posted By: Kcowboy

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 03:57 PM

sounds to me like a North American Chupa

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Kcowboy
sounds to me like a North American Chupa
That would be the elusive Chupas Americanus Mysterious.

BTW - I saw stars this morning when I missed a step getting out of my tripod. But it was a good morning. Lots of deer movement.

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 05:22 PM

Here we go again. They are called cougars and in the shadow of the trees they can be of a darker tone but not black. Maybe it was an African black leopard.

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 05:24 PM

One other thing. How come when people see black ones they always seem to refer to them as "panthers"?

Posted By: CBHunter

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 05:26 PM

All you guys that say there is no such thing as a black panther keep it up. You guys are driving the price of my black panther hunts up. People think they are rare, so they pay more. Thanks!

Posted By: Rollin Shabbos

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 05:30 PM

Maybe it was a Puma peep

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: CBHunter
All you guys that say there is no such thing as a black panther keep it up. You guys are driving the price of my black panther hunts up. People think they are rare, so they pay more. Thanks!

where are your hunts? have a website/

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Rollin Shabbos

I'm working on getting a website up. I just started offering these hunts. I had no idea they could be so lucrative. BTW, these things are everywhere.

Posted By: AnglinAg

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 05:43 PM

I'm working on getting a website up. I just started offering these hunts. I had no idea they could be so lucrative. BTW, these things are everywhere.

You're right. I saw two just the other day while I was snipe hunting.

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 05:44 PM

You must get paid regardless of whether or not they kill anything.

Posted By: Alec Castonguay

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 05:45 PM

I have heard Sooooooo much talk about black "panthers" in texas. But I have yet to see 1 picture

Posted By: chaos

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 05:45 PM

Why not post up some pics of your successful hunts?

Posted By: TX_Huntress

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 05:47 PM

So, if I booked a hunt and didn't get one, could I shoot a bigfoot as my varmint? paw rifle

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 06:02 PM

think this thread just got hijacked.... bolt

Posted By: BMD

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 06:08 PM

rofl rofl rofl bs
Unless he was at the zoo confused2

Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 06:27 PM

You could harvest it and sell cologne with real bits of panter in it, its illegal in 9 countries though and some say it smells like big foots #^@$

Posted By: KG68

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: ACWhiteTail
I have heard Sooooooo much talk about black "panthers" in texas. But I have yet to see 1 picture

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 06:53 PM

Bout as close to panther as u will get in Texas

Posted By: BurrOak

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Aggieduck
You could harvest it and sell cologne with real bits of panter in it, its illegal in 9 countries though and some say it smells like big foots #^@$

Ya know, 60% of the time it works, every time

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: AnglinAg
You're right. I saw two just the other day while I was snipe hunting.

If you are talking about real snipe hunting, that can be challenging, but fun. Of course, we all know about the fun and games snipe hunting.

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump_jumper

Yes, I charge regardless if you get one or not, but my success rate is pretty high.

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: TX_Huntress

So, if I booked a hunt and didn't get one, could I shoot a bigfoot as my varmint? paw rifle

Now you guys are just mocking me.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 07:24 PM

Let me guess, the black panther was standing next to the 14 pt you pass on every year becuase he is to pretty to shoot? rofl

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Let me guess, the black panther was standing next to the 14 pt you pass on every year becuase he is to pretty to shoot? rofl

rofl

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 07:26 PM

Listen, if you guys really want to see a black panther, just load your feeder up with Indian Corn. It will keep the deer there longer and they really seem to like it. This in turn will give you a better chance of seeing the elusive black panther. It has worked for me.

Posted By: chaos

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 07:34 PM

Listen, if you guys really want to see a black panther, just load your feeder up with Indian Corn. It will keep the deer there longer and they really seem to like it. This in turn will give you a better chance of seeing the elusive black panther. It has worked for me.

I had to quit using indian corn, the deer destroyed my feeder trying to get to it. Teeth marks on the barrel. Any other suggestions?

Posted By: cuzican

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 07:45 PM

I have found the best way to hunt black panthers in Texas is to put out some "C mere Panther", they simply can't resist it!

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 07:48 PM

i have heard that 60% of the time it works every time

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: chaos

I had to quit using indian corn, the deer destroyed my feeder trying to get to it. Teeth marks on the barrel. Any other suggestions?

Well, you can always try a "panther drive", but only if you have a group of guys that are very experienced with it. That's where I come in!

Posted By: JCB

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: 10pointdoe
well, I saw a black panther sunday morning between evant and hamilton. I've heard from a neighbor and my uncle that they each have seen one over the years. And yes it was black and yes it was a cat. Panther ?. I'm not sure what a panther is , but what I saw was standing by the treeline at hte edge of a field, about 700 yards away. I was in my truck and I stopped because I was trying to spot deer and thats when I saw it just standing there. It stayed there for a minute and then took off with those lond cat like strides for the brush. No doubt it was a cat and it was black and it was pretty big, about the size of a little calf

I'm callin BS!

After all you are the same guy that sees the same 14 point year after year but you never post any pics or put a bullet in it either.

Posted By: cable

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 09:50 PM

I saw a grizzly bear while I was out scouting for ducks on Lake Ray Hubbard yesterday.

Re: saw a panther - 10/20/10 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeHoncho

Ya know, 60% of the time it works, every time

That doesnt make sense

Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: saw a panther - 10/21/10 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: JCB

I'm callin BS!

After all you are the same guy that sees the same 14 point year after year but you never post any pics or put a bullet in it either.

Beat me to the punch there JCB. Ha Ha

How about those pics, lets see them!

Posted By: PaulsBunyan

Re: saw a panther - 10/21/10 01:06 AM

i think what you saw was a ninja..crouched down and escaping into the woods. check the tree line for karate shoe prints and maybe a lost ninja star layin in the morning.

Posted By: obryankl

Re: saw a panther - 10/21/10 01:08 AM

Ha, wow.

Re: saw a panther - 10/21/10 01:10 AM

That doesnt make sense

rofl

Guess you've never seen Anchorman?

Posted By: PaulsBunyan

Re: saw a panther - 10/21/10 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: obryankl
That doesnt make sense

rofl

Guess you've never seen Anchorman?

"I'm Ron Burgundy/"..

Posted By: 10pointdoe

Re: saw a panther - 10/21/10 01:18 AM

nope, it was about 3 miles from there. I knew I would get ridiculed but let me tell you, I've been hunting for 50 years and it wasnt in the shadows. I'm telling you it was as black as a ace of spades. And when it took off you could tell it was a cat. Now it might be a cougar, or panther, or whatever you want to call it. But the SOB was a very large, very black,very big, cat.It was on county road 415 just before you get to the low water crossing. On the south side there is a big field they usually plant oats there and you see a lot of deer on it. No oats this year. Thats why I drove by there to see if they planted oats this year and if there were any deer on it. It was seen 3 miles back farther west by a neigbhor and also by my uncle. I'm telling you fellers, its real and its there. Believe it. I've seen people that claim to have seen one before and they always get ridiculed. ut its there and I saw it.

Posted By: BlackSnake

Re: saw a panther - 10/21/10 01:47 AM

???

Posted By: westtex75

Re: saw a panther - 10/21/10 01:51 AM

nope, it was about 3 miles from there. I knew I would get ridiculed but let me tell you, I've been hunting for 50 years and it wasnt in the shadows. I'm telling you it was as black as a ace of spades. And when it took off you could tell it was a cat. Now it might be a cougar, or panther, or whatever you want to call it. But the SOB was a very large, very black,very big, cat.It was on county road 415 just before you get to the low water crossing. On the south side there is a big field they usually plant oats there and you see a lot of deer on it. No oats this year. Thats why I drove by there to see if they planted oats this year and if there were any deer on it. It was seen 3 miles back farther west by a neigbhor and also by my uncle. I'm telling you fellers, its real and its there. Believe it. I've seen people that claim to have seen one before and they always get ridiculed. ut its there and I saw it.

get us a pic 10 pt.

Re: saw a panther - 10/21/10 02:07 AM

I'm telling you fellers, its real and its there. Believe it. I've seen people that claim to have seen one before and they always get ridiculed. ut its there and I saw it.

Well that's pretty convincing. With that, consider me a believer.

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: saw a panther - 10/21/10 03:32 AM

Ok guys...why is it when someone says they see a panther...black cat...some think it was a cougar that really was not black and then others simply think the poster saw a UFO?

Re: saw a panther - 10/21/10 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Stump_jumper

Yes, I charge regardless if you get one or not, but my success rate is pretty high.

Wait is he serious? i thought he was joking but not sure now.

Posted By: Tres

Re: saw a panther - 10/21/10 04:40 AM

I saw the same cat...and shot him, cell phone was dead so no pics, but I'll post some when my cousin's friends uncle gets done mounting him. paw

Re: saw a panther - 10/21/10 05:40 PM

One thing I like about Halloween. The black panther sitings always seem to increase. There were a whole bunch of the in Chicago in the late 60s. They even ran in packs. Largest documented black panther siting ever.

Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: saw a panther - 10/21/10 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Ok guys...why is it when someone says they see a panther...black cat...some think it was a cougar that really was not black and then others simply think the poster saw a UFO?

In this case you have to consider the source.

Posted By: FISHUNTER

Re: saw a panther - 10/21/10 09:46 PM

1 Picture and I will be a believer...thats all it will take, just 1 picture. bs

Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: saw a panther - 10/22/10 01:02 AM

Yep and you will yet to see one for a long time! trout

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: saw a panther - 10/22/10 01:24 AM

Either believe it or not, tired of the argument.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum