Texas Hunting Forum

anyone hunting Chaparral WMA this year?

Posted By: Offonleave

anyone hunting Chaparral WMA this year? - 10/10/10 08:14 PM

I have been putting in for GDE for 12+ years with no luck. This year I put in for the new crossbow hunt category and got drawn for Chaparral. Of course, I didn't own a crossbow and had to buy one.

Anyone else hunting there this year?

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: anyone hunting Chaparral WMA this year? - 10/10/10 08:31 PM

Lucky you and congrats. I have putting in off and on for 35 yrs now of GDE and not been drawn. But got in ADE in the 80's with no luck. Should be a tremendous year with the rain and almost complete burn over a yr and a half ago now.

Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: anyone hunting Chaparral WMA this year? - 10/10/10 10:55 PM

My group got drawn for the crossbow hunt also. I had to go buy a crossbow too just for that hunt. I have hunted there one other time on a youth hunt with my son. There are some great deer there but he was not successful. Hopefully I will have better luck than he did when I took him.

Re: anyone hunting Chaparral WMA this year? - 10/10/10 11:58 PM

BowSlayer,

When is your hunt? Mine is Dec. 6-10th.

Figured the cost of the crossbow was worth the opportunity to finally hunt there.

Posted By: tx270

Re: anyone hunting Chaparral WMA this year? - 10/10/10 11:59 PM

Myself and two friends got drawn for Gun Deer either-sex after 18 years of applying. We'll be there December 17-21.

Bill

Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: anyone hunting Chaparral WMA this year? - 10/11/10 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Offonleave

BowSlayer,

When is your hunt? Mine is Dec. 6-10th.

Figured the cost of the crossbow was worth the opportunity to finally hunt there.

My hunt is not until January. Bummer, I thought we could meet up. Oh well, good luck and try to get me some pointers while you're there.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: anyone hunting Chaparral WMA this year? - 10/11/10 12:47 AM

its gonna be the best year down there in a long while.

I would be more selective than normal if I were drawn.

good luck to you guys?

Posted By: Huntalot

Re: anyone hunting Chaparral WMA this year? - 10/11/10 01:18 PM

I hunted GDE in December 4 seasons ago. GREAT place and fabulous hunt. I was not successful. This is a HARD hunt. Lots of opportunity to awesome trophy deer. Very thick S TX brush country. Saw awesome deer while scouting but never saw the big boy while hunting. Saw plenty of nice deer.

Huntalot

Re: anyone hunting Chaparral WMA this year? - 10/18/10 02:47 AM

Sorry I will miss all of you but will let you know how it goes.

It is going to be strange not being able to reach out to the range I am used to with my 270 WSM. Thankfully, these damn crossbows are very lethal.

Looking forward to the challenge.

Re: anyone hunting Chaparral WMA this year? - 11/18/10 11:37 PM

Anyone else?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum