Texas Hunting Forum

I was Freaking Out, But may be okay!!!

Posted By: The Shafer

I was Freaking Out, But may be okay!!! - 09/28/10 09:13 PM

Please bear with the story and give me your opinion...

I set feeders up at my lease the first of August and started feeding corn. I keep game cameras out and got lots of pics of does, fawns, and a few bucks. Then came the hogs and for the last two weeks I have no deer pics.

I had a thread a while back about hogs running off deer (which I believe can happen I guess. I got tons of pics of hogs but no deer anymore.

BUT... last night while I was walking the grounds last night I saw huge green acorns!!! Could it be that the deer have left the corn for now and have moved on to the acorns for a little while???

I did manage to get one pic of this sucker at night... now if I can figure out how to draw him in during the day...

Posted By: bust'em-n-dust'em

Re: I was Freaking Out, But may be okay!!! - 09/28/10 09:20 PM

nice buck, good luck on getting him

they are on the acorns right now. happens every year. same with mine, pigs or not..they are far & few at the feeders.

Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: I was Freaking Out, But may be okay!!! - 09/28/10 10:58 PM

Nice buck,now is when the hunt begins! Good luck!

Posted By: LFD2037

Re: I was Freaking Out, But may be okay!!! - 09/28/10 11:18 PM

Hunt the acorns. that's what I'm gonna do for the first time ever(24 years of hunting).

Posted By: jim1961

Re: I was Freaking Out, But may be okay!!! - 09/29/10 01:59 AM

good luck

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: I was Freaking Out, But may be okay!!! - 09/29/10 01:43 PM

My thought is that it is a little of both and more. More, because I think putting feeders out in August is late. I feed year around. It takes them a bit to get comfortable with it all. The acorns are having an effect for sure, but I would also feel that the pigs are not helping either. If you had hog panels around your feeder that would help and get the deer back faster.

I have one feeder that I bait with a hog tube and regular soured corn. The feeder is surrounded by a 16' x 16' hog panel pen. The hogs come, but the deer are there too. Sometimes at the same time, but rarley. Most often, it is the deer that come when they know the hogs are not around. I have a nice little 10 point that has come everyday this week between 6:00pm and 7:30pm..

Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: I was Freaking Out, But may be okay!!! - 09/29/10 04:58 PM

I cant help but hunt the acorns on my Cass County lease. They are everywhere. On the ground and falling.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum