Texas Hunting Forum

Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts

Posted By: ibhunter

Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 08:54 PM

I am on a lease with 3 others. Every year one of the other guys brings his wife and dog to camp opening weekend. The dog, a "house Dog" jumps on and lays all over my stuff and is basically a barking machine. The wife is hyper and when ever you come in to the bunk house to take a mid day nap she's up talking and making a bunch of noise and crap because she don't "Get up early" to hunt. What y'all think I should do? Isn't there some sort of unwritten rule that you don't bring guest to deer camp opening weekend? Does anyone else have this problem or am I the only one?

Posted By: Spent Brass

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 09:00 PM

It's always been a rule in any camp I've been in, only paying members on opening weekend, but if y'all haven't discussed it you gotta stick it out or move.

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 09:02 PM

You can always cook and eat the yappy dog. Dog isn't bad at all.

You're on your own with the yappy woman.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 09:03 PM

wives and kids are welcome with us... but dogs are a no-no.

Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 09:03 PM

It has been a unwritten and written rule on every lease I have been on, "No wives, children or pets allowed on the opening weekend of any hunting season".

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 09:05 PM

Ok for the dog go to the pet store and get a product called Pet Corrector... read the instructions. It only makes a hissing sound so you can use it on the dog when they aren't around. If you kinda like the dog but just want it to stay off your stuff, use it per instructions. If you don't like the dog and don't want it even near the bunk house, torment him with it every chance you get.

I guess I'd talk to the guy, tell him you don't want the dog scenting up your gear and that his wife is inconsiderate.
If that don't work get an air horn and use it to torment her!

As for the unwritten rule thing I guess for wives and kids, that rule went away along time ago... frown

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 09:09 PM

is that the thing that you push the button on it & it makes the high pitch noise.....one of our dogs hates it, but the other one will just look at you and not be bothered by it...that's our mhmr dog though.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 09:10 PM

You wouldn't be out of line by laying down some man laws for opening weekend.
Why would he even want to bring them unless he is whip

Posted By: atascosa_red

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 09:16 PM

My dog is more welcome at camp than my wife is......and a lot more considerate!! Don't tell her I said that!!

Posted By: Curly

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: atascosa_red
My dog is more welcome at camp than my wife is......and a lot more considerate!! Don't tell her I said that!!

peep

Posted By: texasd

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 09:18 PM

just come in , fart and stink the place up.....

Posted By: redmist220

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 09:19 PM

Open door when she starts to talk and point out side ! If that dont work then tell her to get up when you all do . That way she'll want that nap later on . And if that dont work kick her out . One of these will get through to her well maybe ?

Posted By: Kcowboy

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 09:21 PM

I agree time for some new rules, if you went about it the right way I would think he'll understand.

Posted By: Huntthings

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 10:18 PM

Nap naked. Buy a pitbull.

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 10:26 PM

Call me an ole timer, but my idea of deer camp is a place where a man can fart without any fear or consideration of who might hear it. Nothing like a little "buck snort" while peeing off the porch.

Come on guys, it's supposed to be a deer camp, not a country club tea party.

Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 11:07 PM

You tell em Dan. No pick-a-poos in my camp.

Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/23/10 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
You wouldn't be out of line by laying down some man laws for opening weekend.
Why would he even want to bring them unless he is whip

My wife enjoys hunting just as much as I do, but for a wife to just be there, I would agree with BiL.

Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
You can always cook and eat the yappy dog. Dog isn't bad at all.

You're on your own with the yappy woman.

Or, take the doggy "hunting"! "Really, I thought it was a baby chupa'!

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 12:54 AM

I'd rather have the dog in camp than the woman. At least you can pet the dog and nobody will care. Try that with the woman and watch the sparks fly.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 12:54 AM

I got mad just reading your post.

Don't know what to tell you though.

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 02:11 AM

Paying members only! Opening weekend....I thought this man law...u sir are in danger of losing the man card for ever allowing this to happen! I propose the following punishment : 1 POT OF beans to be eaten every day three days prior to going to camp. No shaving deodorant or toothbrush at camp. Lots of cheap beer and a fifth of cheap whiskey. I tube Bengay, one tube hemroid cream which shall be squeezed to appear used and placed on dinner table.

Posted By: okietex

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 02:32 AM

I would just look at them and tell them we share are stands, guns, and beer. We share everything here then wink at her and say everything

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 02:32 AM

she wont come back and Im willing to bet its her dog

Posted By: jim1961

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 03:06 AM

we have written rule, no wives or kids first two weeks of season

Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 03:21 AM

Either get some rules in place, in writing if necessary. Or figure you out some way to get your own lodging. The latter has way more benefits than just correcting your present issues.

Another way: If your wife is friends with this woman, buy them both tickets to the ballet, opera, play, or whatever they're into. Give her a reason not to want to keep her old man on a leash.

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 03:40 AM

psycho better yet. Have him buy his wife a ticket and you buy a ticket. This should not be his problem

Posted By: MELackey

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 03:44 AM

my wife and kids go with me every opening weekend. Of course, we're the only ones there, so I guess it's not a bad deal.

When I was leasing, the wives all came out for a big feed on Saturday night of opening weekend, but other than that, they stayed home.

Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 03:49 AM

The only woman that has a place at deer camp is a huntress.

Posted By: Justin T

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 04:15 AM

Paying members only on opening weekend. It has been that was since I was 5.

Posted By: bust'em-n-dust'em

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 05:08 AM

figured the unwritten rule for opening weekend was paid members only....best of luck man

Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 06:18 AM

I suggest you just suck it up and quit bitching..... grin

Posted By: texas8point

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 11:46 AM

Im not a fan of anyone but hunters at the lease. BUTTTT its his wife so you kinda have to bite your tongue. Now the dog on the other hand I would pull my buddy aside and say shut that bitch up ! Just make sure he knows who your talking about .....!!!!! LOL Next thing is to start looking for a travel trailer. I dont like it either but at our lease I go to bed early and a few of the guys stay up half the night in the camphouse radio playing, party going......I cant knock'um for having a good time so I got a travel trailer.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 11:57 AM

I seldom get to hunt the opening weekend... BUT, then again my wife works as much or more than some of the hunters on our place, respects others, paid for a spot on the lease, and has her own trailer now...

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
I seldom get to hunt the opening weekend... BUT, then again my wife works as much or more than some of the hunters on our place, respects others, paid for a spot on the lease, and has her own trailer now...

Sig, I don't think too many people have a problem with women at the lease, but I'm sure some do. Heck, I wish my wife wanted to hunt sometimes...

It's best to have the rule for a set couple of weekends. Our rules also include no guests on Thanksgiving or following Christmas.

Posted By: COWDOG

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 02:45 PM

Only paying hunters openeing weekend.
It has been a tradtion too to bring the whole family thanksgiving weekend.

We did however hunt with a guy who would bring a diffrent girfriend every weekend. It was hard to rememeber all their names. Come to find out he was using their tags to kill more bucks. One year he had his 2 buck limit...

I woke up one morning and felt ill and didnt go to the morning hunt. I was standing outside my camper when one of the many girlfriend came out and started talking to me.

Around 8:30ish this dude rolls back into camp with his 3rd buck of the season. When the rest of the guys come back into camp he claims his girlfriend shot it.

Funny cause I was with her all morning. I called him out in front of EVERYONE... his camper was loaded up that afternoon.

Posted By: bigbuck1

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 02:48 PM

That's one reason to have a blind big enough to take a nap in. If the camp has to much going on I'll just stay in my blind and take a afternoon nap.

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: MELackey

When I was leasing, the wives all came out for a big feed on Saturday night of opening weekend, but other than that, they stayed home.

yep, usually grilled steaks, sausage and a fish fry with the side dishes made by the wives at home while everyone was hunting that evening....some of them have enough children to have a complete softball/baseball team. But everything is cool and it's just a yearly thing that even the game wardens get an invite to.

Posted By: Gummi Bear

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 02:59 PM

I like the air horn idea. That's just funny.

Our camp is pretty laid back, none of the drama. Just lots of bad jokes and farting.

Posted By: TxTechsan

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Justin T

Sig, I don't think too many people have a problem with women at the lease, but I'm sure some do. Heck, I wish my wife wanted to hunt sometimes...

It's best to have the rule for a set couple of weekends. Our rules also include no guests on Thanksgiving or following Christmas.

Do guests include kids at your place? Thanksgiving and Christmas weekends are some of the only times kids have with extended breaks during the season.

From reading through this entire thread, I don't think I would want to hunt on a lot of the leases that have been discussed.

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: TxTechsan
Originally Posted By: Justin T

Do guests include kids at your place? Thanksgiving and Christmas weekends are some of the only times kids have with extended breaks during the season.

From reading through this entire thread, I don't think I would want to hunt on a lot of the leases that have been discussed.

Kids are not counted as guest, and neither are wives. Its usually a family thing, so no bringing your buddy.

Posted By: catchin'

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 05:41 PM

Ask the wife to please keep it down because you are trying to sleep and ask that the dog not get on your stuff and be quite.
You need to speak up when it effects you. You don't need to be ugly just firm.

All of us have our own trailers so no conflict, and my son and I hunt together. Actually I watch him hunt.

Dogs only the owner of the property gets to bring his dog. and he stay in the house most of the time.

Posted By: KBTXHunter

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 05:44 PM

Women are welcome. Wives are not. up

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: catchin'
Ask the wife to please keep it down because you are trying to sleep and ask that the dog not get on your stuff and be quite.
You need to speak up when it effects you. You don't need to be ugly just firm.

All of us have our own trailers so no conflict, and my son and I hunt together. Actually I watch him hunt.

Dogs only the owner of the property gets to bring his dog. and he stay in the house most of the time.

Honestly, I thought deer camp was supposed to be a place where a man has no fear of facing any issues that are most likely to come up at home or work. Otherwise, why even go there? Let's face it, it points to why so many guys buy a place of their own, and why other guys never ask anyone to go hunting with them.

Hunting for me is an escape from all those types of things that I must deal with whenever I'm not at the deer lease. And the last thing I want is anyone dragging such issues into deer camp. I'm sure our earliest ancestors viewed hunting in much the same way. And I also suspect their wives enjoyed the time alone as well.

I was very fortunate in that I married a girl who came from a family where all the men were hunters. In fact, I often hunted and spent more time with her dad than I did with my own. She understands what deer camp is to me, and often goes with me during the off season to take long walks, fish, and do other things. But once hunting season arrives, she knows that deer camp is a place where men want to be more alone and focused on the work of a harvest. It's just something that's in our blood that other men don't have in theirs.

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 06:21 PM

My wife looks forward to my son and I going to the lease. It gives her and my daughter a "girls weekend out." Shopping, spa the works. In fact I already know I "have" to go to the lease on Oct. 30 - 31. banana

My Wife is making me go hunting.

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: catchin'
My wife looks forward to my son and I going to the lease. It gives her and my daughter a "girls weekend out." Shopping, spa the works.

My wife and daughters have been known to do such things as well while I'm out freezing my tail off.

I think what my wife enjoys most is being able to sleep as long as she wants, and as her schedule permits. And I'm sure the fact that I snore plays into it as well.

Posted By: JBH1979

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 06:35 PM

When you get to camp just walk up to him and give him a good high five and tell him thanks for bringing the stripper hes been bragging about and you cant wait for your turn!!! Should eliminate all problems.

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: JBH1979
When you get to camp just walk up to him and give him a good high five and tell him thanks for bringing the stripper hes been bragging about and you cant wait for your turn!!! Should eliminate all problems.

Or better yet, just ask him to introduce you to his "new" girlfriend.

cheers

Posted By: mike9582

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 06:39 PM

My wife is a paid hunter on our lease now, I couldnt afford to leave her home. But now that I think about it. This will just give her an opportunity to shop in different towns. bang

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 06:40 PM

rofl rofl

Posted By: BYPATHofNIGHT

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 06:44 PM

The contract on our lease specifies that a hunter may bring a guest after the 2nd week of gun season.

Posted By: Matagorda Mud Pig

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 07:08 PM

is she hot?

Posted By: FISHUNTER

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 07:50 PM

Its always been a tradition in my family no wives,sisters,daughters (females) on opening weekend unless for some odd reason they are paying members(has happened yet). This became a BIG ISSUE with my newest girlfirend last season and pretty much destroyed our relationship not only between us but her and the other guys on the lease. she dragged my friends and family into the situation...both online and offline. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE FROM HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: FISHUNTER

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 07:52 PM

holy crap just typing that up has brought nightmarish flashbacks!!! Holy crap that was hell! crying

Posted By: Lazy L

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 08:00 PM

I feel all paid members need to know if there is going to be a wife in camp, after a long night at Mary's in Strawn you never know what might end up in the truck! banana

to the OP, just lay on your bed in your underwear with your hand down your pants and stare at her every move, that's how I get rid of my wife.

Posted By: Gunslinger

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 08:32 PM

Our rules are simple:

No guests, friends, kids or family until AFTER Thanksgiving. From then on, it's fair game to bring whoever you want.

That allows the five PAYING members to get in few weeks of a hunting before anyone else comes out. up

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/24/10 10:18 PM

i've brought my wife hunting just enough that she dosen't want to go, so that sorted that one out.

however, personally, I don't do anything at deer camp that I don't do at home (fart,drink,tell nasty jokes) so if I was on a lease, and someone would want to bring their wife, fine by me, same as mine, I don't act any different there, and if they can tolerate me day to day, they can tolerate me at camp.

the only thing that has bothred me in the past, when my cousin brought his wife, was that they both were hunting (pissed me off cause neither of them helped get anything prepared, they were hunting off my uncles spot) and they hogged all the stands. then after they didn't kill anything, they turned our lease into an ATV course.

I've shared camp with alot of girls and women, and its just as fun when their there than all guys.

Posted By: ibhunter

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/25/10 06:47 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to get one of those hissing things and use it on both her and the dog. I know he and his wife read this forum, so Ima hopen they get the message on their own...

Posted By: TX_Huntress

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/25/10 07:21 PM

whattha??? eek2

Originally Posted By: Troutfisch
The only woman that has a place at deer camp is a huntress.

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/25/10 07:30 PM

sounded like an open invite.

Posted By: TX_Huntress

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/25/10 07:36 PM

I think I'm gonna have to change my screen name now.... deer2

Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Opening Weekend Do's and Don'ts - 09/25/10 07:51 PM

Kids and Family are always welcome at my camp.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum